Author Topic: Favourite 5 British films ever  (Read 3353 times)

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Favourite 5 British films ever
« Reply #120 on: May 9, 2024, 04:48:25 pm »
The Italian Job

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #121 on: May 9, 2024, 05:02:46 pm »
The Italian Job
The Italian Job is an entertaining caper. But it's definitely not a great movie.

I looked at the Wiki entry for BAFTA Best British Film awards. In just 1948 and 1949, 5 of the nominated films were: Hamlet, The Red Shoes, Kind Hearts & Coronets, The Third Man, Whisky Galore. That might do for your list. Well maybe chuck in your favourite David Lean instead of Whisky Galore and you probably have a rock solid 5 that would be hard to argue against.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #122 on: May 9, 2024, 11:17:29 pm »
No love for Local Hero or Shirley Valentine?

My top rated British film a few pages back.

I highly recommend Bill Forsyth's adaptation of Marilynne Robinson's novel Housekeeping. He wrote the script too. It's set in America and American financed so doesn't really count as British but is probably one of the saddest, understated and most melancholy films you'll ever see. A faithful and perfect adaptation. Very much a hidden masterpiece.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #123 on: May 9, 2024, 11:30:21 pm »
I can't believe I haven't mentioned the Paddington films. 😀
Paddington 2 is a ‘perfect’ film. There aren’t many.  Films that could not have been made better.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: May 10, 2024, 05:27:41 am »
My top rated British film a few pages back.

I highly recommend Bill Forsyth's adaptation of Marilynne Robinson's novel Housekeeping. He wrote the script too. It's set in America and American financed so doesn't really count as British but is probably one of the saddest, understated and most melancholy films you'll ever see. A faithful and perfect adaptation. Very much a hidden masterpiece.
So you're that other person that saw this gem of a film. I don't know many outside of those I recommended Housekeeping to that have seen this. It's Lahti's finest work, along with Running On Empty, imo. A must see film.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2024, 08:04:58 am »
Due to this thread I actually watched Local Hero for the first time in something like 20 years last night. I'd forgotten how good it is.

That's another one for my list, one more to go to make 5.  ;D

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: May 10, 2024, 09:41:17 am »
^ looking at the Bafta's reminded I like the Le Carre movies
James Mason as Smiley in The Deadly Affair
Gary Oldman plays Smiley in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
And Richard Burton as Leamas in The Spy Who Came in from the Cold

I'd happily rewatch all of those

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #127 on: May 10, 2024, 09:44:24 am »
Paddington 2 is a ‘perfect’ film. There aren’t many.  Films that could not have been made better.
I am 100% serious when I say that Hugh Grant was robbed of a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for that film.

Same with Jason Isaacs in the Death of Stalin (Hello to Jason).
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: May 10, 2024, 10:05:19 am »
And Richard Burton as Leamas in The Spy Who Came in from the Cold

That one has passed me by but I love the book and can imagine Burton being perfect as Leamas. Must check it out.

Offline 9 kemlyn road

• Main Stander
« Reply #129 on: May 10, 2024, 05:42:51 pm »
The Italian Job
It’s a good piece of entertainment with the classic mini car chase scenes and the odd ending .
Michael Caine by this point felt he was just being offered these sort roles and was worried that he was getting type cast playing the cheeky chappy cockney that he’d played in the ipcress file series and Alfie .
This led him to take the part of Jack carter in get carter ,although a Londoner he was the complete opposite in being a violent cold ruthless killer .
A great film ,shot entirely on location in Newcastle and other north  east locations which helped bring a raw ,bleak ,cold realism to the film.Caine was excellent in the lead role and supported by a great cast and a classic soundtrack ,showed he was more than a corblimey cheeky cockney ,played the ruthless gangster to perfection.
One of the best British films ever made ,a classic .

Online RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #130 on: May 10, 2024, 05:52:22 pm »
Paddington 2 is a masterpiece agreed.

Online So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #131 on: May 10, 2024, 05:54:52 pm »
It’s a good piece of entertainment with the classic mini car chase scenes and the odd ending .
Michael Caine by this point felt he was just being offered these sort roles and was worried that he was getting type cast playing the cheeky chappy cockney that he’d played in the ipcress file series and Alfie .
This led him to take the part of Jack carter in get carter ,although a Londoner he was the complete opposite in being a violent cold ruthless killer .
A great film ,shot entirely on location in Newcastle and other north  east locations which helped bring a raw ,bleak ,cold realism to the film.Caine was excellent in the lead role and supported by a great cast and a classic soundtrack ,showed he was more than a corblimey cheeky cockney ,played the ruthless gangster to perfection.

And the pseudo electronic backing track to the closing scene on that bleak seascape fits perfectly.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: May 10, 2024, 06:02:49 pm »
I am 100% serious when I say that Hugh Grant was robbed of a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for that film.

Same with Jason Isaacs in the Death of Stalin (Hello to Jason).

Need to watch Death of Stalin again. Been a while.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: May 10, 2024, 06:03:54 pm »
Might be of interest as so many people have mentioned their films in this thread but I've just been the cinema to see Made in England: The Films of Powell and Pressburger.

Absolutely wonderful overview of their career and partnership told through their films, archive footage, and Marty Scorsese waxing lyrical about them for two hours.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: May 10, 2024, 06:05:22 pm »
Might be of interest as so many people have mentioned their films in this thread but I've just been the cinema to see Made in England: The Films of Powell and Pressburger.

Absolutely wonderful overview of their career and partnership told through their films, archive footage, and Marty Scorsese waxing lyrical about them for two hours.

Just noticed that today at our local cinema.

May give it a go.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: May 10, 2024, 06:15:01 pm »

I probably remember it fondly because I watched it as a kid, some great bits in it for sure.

Does James Bond count as British?

Offline 9 kemlyn road

• Main Stander
« Reply #136 on: May 10, 2024, 06:18:57 pm »
And the pseudo electronic backing track to the closing scene on that bleak seascape fits perfectly.
Yes, how it just ends with those few bars of that soundtrack bookends the film with the bleakness perfectly and it starts with same few bars of the music when he’s preparing to leave London at the start after being warned not to go up there.very stylish in the way it’s used in the opening credits during the train journey and then peters out as he arrives in Newcastle.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: May 10, 2024, 06:54:15 pm »
Yes, how it just ends with those few bars of that soundtrack bookends the film with the bleakness perfectly and it starts with same few bars of the music when he’s preparing to leave London at the start after being warned not to go up there.very stylish in the way it’s used in the opening credits during the train journey and then peters out as he arrives in Newcastle.

Right. I forgot it starts with the train journey up to the Heart of Bleakness. ;D

It’s a very gritty film with little or no redemptive features for any of the characters.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: May 10, 2024, 07:49:03 pm »

Four Lions
Alien (based on Andy's post above)
Brazil
In The Loop
Children of Men
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline 9 kemlyn road

• Main Stander
« Reply #139 on: May 10, 2024, 07:59:43 pm »
Right. I forgot it starts with the train journey up to the Heart of Bleakness. ;D

It’s a very gritty film with little or no redemptive features for any of the characters.
But some memorable scenes and lines
“ you’re a big man but you’re in bad shape ,I do this for a living “

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: May 10, 2024, 08:19:58 pm »
A lot of these films that have been mentioned I haven’t seen for years and it’s giving me a hankering to watch them again. I shall see if Get Carter is on streaming anywhere. And the Ipcress File is a great film too.

Online Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: May 10, 2024, 09:55:49 pm »
I prefer Tommy to Quadrophenia. Still thinking about my top 5 though

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: May 10, 2024, 10:01:56 pm »
So you're that other person that saw this gem of a film. I don't know many outside of those I recommended Housekeeping to that have seen this. It's Lahti's finest work, along with Running On Empty, imo. A must see film.

I agree, I cannot for the life of me understand how it is so obscure. It is the most underrated film I've ever seen. So I had a look why.

The only thing going for it is that it did get great reviews from the critics who saw it, massively lauded by the famous Vincent Canby along with Roger Ebert. But it was never promoted by the film company, and the trailer and poster makes it look like a goofy comedy when its anything but. So that was misleading and targeting an audience who, well, were not the target audience. Forsyth's career petered out after this, he never made another great film and becoming disillusioned, abandoned the film industry so there's also that. You'd think word of mouth over the years would generate some interest and give it the acclaim it deserves. But still nothing.

It definitely deserves a proper rerelease and reappraisal.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: May 10, 2024, 10:26:14 pm »
But some memorable scenes and lines
“ you’re a big man but you’re in bad shape ,I do this for a living “

At which Brumby ran away from Newcastle and opened up a corner shop in Wetherfield and became the Town Mayor.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #144 on: May 10, 2024, 10:35:06 pm »
5. Wallace and Gromit the curse of the were rabbit
4. Paddington 2
3. Bridge over the river Kwai
2. Dam busters
1, Alien
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline 9 kemlyn road

• Main Stander
« Reply #145 on: May 11, 2024, 08:01:13 am »
At which Brumby ran away from Newcastle and opened up a corner shop in Wetherfield and became the Town Mayor.
  ;D
He should’ve stopped in Newcastle ,he ended up facing far more danger by marrying Audrey roberts and being related to Gail  :o

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: May 11, 2024, 08:06:01 am »
  ;D
He should’ve stopped in Newcastle ,he ended up facing far more danger by marrying Audrey roberts and being related to Gail  :o

;D

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #147 on: May 11, 2024, 01:07:41 pm »
This is difficult

First five that come to mind

1. Black Narcissus
2. Kind Hearts and Coronets
3. Get Carter
4. Lawrence of Arabia