Author Topic: FA Cup 3rd Round - Wolverhampton Wanders v Liverpool FC, 7th Jan 2019 at 19:45  (Read 41011 times)

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
When I started my Journalism Masters, the first three lessons we were taught were: don’t swear unless it it adds something to what you’re writing, avoid cliches like the plague (see what I did there), and never talk about yourself.

But fuck that. This preview will have more fucking cliches than you can shake a stick at.

Liverpool’s season to date has been, arguably, the best in living memory. To come through 20 games unbeaten in an increasingly competitive Premier League is a testament to the quality and mental strength of Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool team.

Facing Manchester City at the Etihad promised to be a tough fixture and it proved just that. On another day, Ederson scores that own-goal. Hell, with another ref, Kompany would’ve been off. But it wasn’t to be. Now Liverpool face a new task this season: to bounce back and do so in style.

The F.A Cup fixture against Wolverhampton Wanderers presents the perfect opportunity to show our progress

In late January 2017, a weakened Liverpool side faced a Conor Coady inspired Wolves team in an F.A Cup fourth round fixture at Anfield. It’d been a tough month for the Reds, with only one victory in their eight fixtures and first-half goals by Stearman and Weimann for Wolves compounded a miserable month for Liverpool. Origi pulled a late goal back, but Klopp’s difficult relationship with the F.A Cup continued and the Reds ambled out of England's historic competition.

Fast forward a couple of years and things couldn’t be more different for the two clubs. Wolves have now been promoted and their season is going fantastically. The West-Midlands team are 13 points clear of relegation and may be looking to see if they can qualify for Europe - be it through league position, or, more optimistically, through the F.A Cup.

Liverpool, meanwhile, are back to where they belong: challenging for the league and established in Europe. Klopp's squad is immeasurably stronger and lacks the defensive and mental fragility of times gone by.

For many fans, pre Manchester City, the F.A Cup was seen as a poison chalice, an unwanted distraction. Not all, but a substantial number, of Liverpool fans would happily see them meekly surrender to focus on bigger, more lucrative competitions.

But fortunately, it’s unlikely that Klopp will see it that way.

His biggest criticism to date is a lack of trophies, something that can provide a sense of tangibility to Liverpool’s clear progression. That, alongside Liverpool’s first Premier League loss of the season, will likely lead Klopp to play a stronger team than many would presume.

The line-up and questions for Klopp

Alisson will undoubtedly have his feet up back in Liverpool for this fixture, with Mignolet deputising. It’s a brilliant opportunity for the perfectly amiable  Belgian to showcase his talents and possibly sign-off his Liverpool career with a trophy.

With Clyne now leaving for Bournemouth, Liverpool are once again struggling in defensive positions. It seems likely that Moreno will come in for Robertson - despite the former’s undoubted aversion to not playing. But it’s the right-back spot that will be most interesting. Will Klopp stick with Trent? Or maybe he’ll shoehorn Camacho in despite recent links away from the club. Many want Van Dijk to be rested, but with limited squad depth and a desire to bounce back from their recent league loss, will the possible inclusion of Nat Phillips put Liverpool at risk of back-to-back losses in 2019?

Wholesale changes are to be expected in midfield and attack. Klopp will likely take the opportunity to give Keita, Lallana and Shaqiri a few more minutes, while Sturridge and Origi are the most likely candidates to lead the forward line.

In these fixtures, Klopp tends to start one of Mane, Salah or Firmino, so who seems the best choice? And how can Klopp ensure that the fixture doesn’t end up in a dreaded replay?

Final comments

Liverpool’s last F.A Cup triumph was back in 2006, a final in which Steven Gerrard once again demonstrated that he was England and Liverpool’s best leader in recent history.

The Reds have reached many finals since and the F.A Cup remains a fantastic opportunity for the current crop of Reds to write a little bit of their own history.

At 7pm, when the starting XI is released, the strength of the Liverpool line-up will likely dictate how seriously we’ll take the Cup this season and I, for one, hope we go for it.

Pre-match facts

1. This will be the seventh FA Cup meeting between Wolves and Liverpool – Wolves have won four of the previous six, including the last such meeting in January 2017 (2-1 at Anfield).

2. Liverpool have been eliminated from five of their last seven FA Cup ties against fellow Premier League opponents.

3. Wolves are winless in their last six home FA Cup games (D2 L4), since beating Doncaster in a replay in round three in 2010-11.

4. Liverpool haven’t been knocked out at this stage of the FA Cup since the 2010-11 season, when they lost 0-1 against Man Utd.
« Last Edit: January 4, 2019, 05:08:45 pm by Keita Success »

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
I think we go full strength to gain back some of the momentum lost on Thursday to be honest.

Most of our main lads will want to right a few wrongs I'd say.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
It's a little hard to feel up for this after last night's defeat. I wish there was a league game coming up. I can see there being 8-9 changes for this, as well there should.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
Great OP, and nice to have an early opportunity to "move on".
Predicting the line up for this game is just about impossible.
I will try:

Migs
Camacho Fabinho VVD Moreno
Keita Milner Lallana
Shaq Sturridge Origi

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Rotate the hell out of the starting line up.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Great OP, and nice to have an early opportunity to "move on".
Predicting the line up for this game is just about impossible.
I will try:

Migs
Camacho Fabinho VVD Moreno
Keita Milner Lallana
Shaq Sturridge Origi

Please no Van Dijk.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Players I don't want to see anywhere near this match:  Van Dijk, Robertson, Salah, Mane, Bobby, Gini.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
Please no Van Dijk.

If Virgil, Salah or Mane are within 5000 miles of this squad we want shot
Should all have left for Dubai last night

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Don’t feel too clued up in terms of which of the younger crop are first in line to play. I don’t think it’ll be full of kids. Think the likes of Lallana, Sturridge and Origi will start and maybe even Keita.

Not really sure who will play at the back.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Just looked at the potential line up... proper midfield and attack that... especially for a second  11
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Cheers for the OP.

Mignolet

Camacho
Lovren
Van Dijk
Moreno

Milner
Keita
Lallana

Origi
Sturridge
Shaqiri

Would be nice to bounce back with a win.

Offline d_sookoo21

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
who are the young ones likely to play
not many to pick from camacho curtis jones phillips maybe

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Cheers for the OP.

Mignolet

Camacho
Lovren
Van Dijk
Moreno

Milner
Keita
Lallana

Origi
Sturridge
Shaqiri

No worries  ;D

Took me fucking ages to sort out the images. Future hint, don't link to Torygraph images, they're encrypted  :butt

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Hoever could be in the squad for this apparently
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
who are the young ones likely to play
not many to pick from camacho curtis jones phillips maybe

According to portuguese reports camacho is very close to joining sporting lisbon on loan.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
Cheers for the OP.

Mignolet

Camacho
Lovren
Van Dijk
Moreno

Milner
Keita
Lallana

Origi
Sturridge
Shaqiri

I love an echo.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
No worries  ;D

Took me fucking ages to sort out the images. Future hint, don't link to Torygraph images, they're encrypted  :butt

You should write more often mate

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Vacuum.

To vacuum is the verb  :(

• Legacy Fan
I love an echo.

Close, you had Fabinho in yours  ;D

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Sweeper?
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
Close, you had Fabinho in yours  ;D

Balls - that was a last minute change of mind which I had forgotten!

Offline tornado

• ali
  • Kopite
Definitely need 8-9 changes for this one but can see Klopp not doing so for rythm reasons. Think Shaq, Keita, Sturridge, Lallana, Mignolet, Moreno,Origi should start. Lovren should be in as well even if only just to wipe out the City game from memory, Milner as RB? Fabinho either midfield or CB. so, to summarize 
Mignolet, Milner, Lovren, Fabinho (?), Moreno, Henderson, Keita, Lallana, Shaqiri, Sturridge, Origi

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
According to portuguese reports camacho is very close to joining sporting lisbon on loan.

It would be after this game if it does happen.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Migs, Camacho, Lovren, Phillips, Moreno, Lallana, Milner, Keita, Shaq, Sturridge, Origi.

I don't care who's on the bench, but ideally it won't be anyone we'd be concerned about losing.

I hope we win. I can't overstate how little I'd care if we lost.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
Sweeper?

If this lad has a career with us, this will overtake Ibe's cup tie

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
You should write more often mate
Cheers, mate. I do it for a living so I rarely pull my finger out for fun anymore.

Usually it's the thumb I leave in for fun.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
I'd like Alisson to start but he most likely won't.

No idea what we'll do at CB, ideally VVD could get a rest but he and Lovren are only options there are the moment so it will be interesting to see if a young player gets an opportunity. 

Camacho and Jones should start, they've been around the first-team long enough now to get a go if we're making changes for this one.  Hopefully Shaqiri and Keita do as well.

I'd like as many trophies as we can get this season, hopefully we go through.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
Anyone who started against City and/or is likely to start against Brighton should probably be left on the bench or at home. A chance for the likes of Mignolet, Moreno, Chirivella, Lallana, Curtis Jones, Keita, Sturridge, Camacho, Origi and maybe even Nat Phillips/Masterson.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
Hopefully there will be no bedwetting here if we put out a weakened squad and lose!

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Would like to see Alisson, VVD, Robertson, Gini and Salah left completely out of the squad and rested up for Brighton as they have done the bulk of games this season.

Something like:

Mignolet

Milner
Phillips/Masterson
Lovren
Moreno

Fabinho
Keita
Lallana

Shaqiri
Sturridge
Origi

Sadio and Bobby rested too but on the  bench, along with Hendo and Trent.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Hoever is set to be named in the squad according to Paul Joyce.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/ki-jana-hoever-16-set-to-be-in-liverpool-squad-to-face-wolves-in-fa-cup-kw6kjcf76

Excellent stuff.  His progress has apparently "astounded" Klopp and the coaching staff.

Offline MH41

• Kopite
I'm really in two minds about this game, and our approach to this competition this year.

Firstly, as a club, i believe we MUST exist to win trophies. However i'm really struggling to find many positives in us remaining in the competition this year.
We have a fantastic opportunity to win the League again, for the first time since 1990, and I feel that the FA cup 'may' be a distraction that we can do without.

Obviously we must try to win every game that we play, but I believe not 1 first choice player should be near the team for Monday's game. We should still have enough to beat Wolves, who may also rotate payers. Anyway, its a good opportunity to give minutes to Mignolet, Moreno, Milner, Lallana, Keita, Origi, Shaqiri, Sturridge, and dare i say Markovic....? (We're even more short of defensive options now that Clyne has left on loan)
But what happens should we win, and progress? Do we really want to 'reschedule' league fixtures on weekends that are set aside for FA cup rounds? Would we not be better playing our league games, and hopefully getting the points on the board, whilst others have to play catch up? Unlikely, I know, but what might happen if either City, Spurs, chelsea or all are knocked out, and proceed to win League games whilst we are still progressing in the FA cup? Do we really need replays, or a fixture backlog in March/April, particularly if we progress in the champions league? I'd rather play one game per week with fresh first choice players.
I can't believe that i'm prepared to dismiss the FA cup, because a trophy is a trophy, but I feel that we must use all our resources this year to try to win the league. The only positives that I can see from remaining in the FA cup are 1. possibly winning a trophy (if we win/progress through ALL our games) 2. Game minutes for our fringe players 3. Playing catch up in the league might mean that we know what we have to do in league games, as the other teams have already played (im also thinking GD)

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Don't want any of the regulars anywhere near this. Need to lose and get out of this competition ASAP without getting penalised by the FA for bringing the game into disrepute

Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
wouldn't start most of our 1st teamers

Mig
     Trent    Matip      Lovern    Moreno
                        Hendo
                Lallana     Keita
         Shaqiri      Origi    Sturridge
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
                      Alisson
Dutch kid  -  Lovren  - Matip - Moreno
              Milner - Keita - Jones
         Shaqiri - Sturridge - Origi

I think it might be something like this.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Matip is still injured isn't he?

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Matip is still injured isn't he?

lol - yes. What do you expect from someone who has been too busy ripping the team in other threads?

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
Time for the Markovic - Mighty Red CD partnership to step up...
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
lol - yes. What do you expect from someone who has been too busy ripping the team in other threads?

Keep crying because someone said a player had a bad game on an internet forum :(

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Keep crying because someone said a player had a bad game on an internet forum :(

yeah....I'm the one crying....