Author Topic: FA Cup 3rd Round - Wolverhampton Wanders v Liverpool FC, 7th Jan 2019 at 19:45  (Read 41316 times)

Offline M(oaning) B(ecomes) E(mbarrassing)

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thoroughly thought through
It is not a worthless trinket

It is when compared with the Premier League or the Champions League. 
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
It is when compared with the Premier League or the Champions League. 

If we were guaranteed to win one of the big two then fine but at the moment we have to win five matches for a FA Cup final, play six for champions league final and play 17 for the league.

FA cup represents as good a chance for silverware as any at the moment so should be taken seriously enough. I’m not fussed about number of team changes as long as it’s a team that you can look at and think it’s capable of winning the match

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
If we were guaranteed to win one of the big two then fine but at the moment we have to win five matches for a FA Cup final, play six for champions league final and play 17 for the league.

FA cup represents as good a chance for silverware as any at the moment so should be taken seriously enough. I’m not fussed about number of team changes as long as it’s a team that you can look at and think it’s capable of winning the match

I think both sides of this debate agree really and its just outlandish own goal claims by people like me which is why this is even discussed. Of course we all want to win. That is an absolute standard belief and hope.

We have players that are very good (Sturridge, Moreno, Keita, Lallana, Origi etc. ) that need to play and are good enough to win the game if they do. There are also key players like Salah, Van Dijk, Robertson, Mane and Firmino for whom we need to manage the minutes so that they dont risk getting injured.

Now if this was a league game, I would never want all them being rested at the same time so straight away thats me prioritising the league over the FA Cup.

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
For what it’s worth I think it’ll be along the lines of

Mignolet

Hoever/Camacho
Lovren
VVD
Moreno

Fabinho
Keita
Lallana

Sturridge
Origi
Shaqiri

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
---------------------------------Mignolet

Hangover------------Lovren--------------VVD---------------Moreno

---------------------------------Fabinho

--------Lallana------------------------------------Keita

-------------------------------Shaq

-------------Origi-------------------------Sturridge

Summit like that?

pretty decent that.

Robbo, curtis, AA, bobby, Mane at least on the bench in case it goes tits up

How I wish Lord Klavan still with us. Perfect for moments like this. But hey, who would have thought 2 of our Centrebacks would get injured at the same time. Matip would have started beside Lovren at least if he was fit.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf

Mignolet

Hoever/Camacho
Lovren
VVD
Moreno

Fabinho
Keita
Lallana

Sturridge
Origi
Shaqiri

So ten full internationals and one youngster. That team should be more than capable of getting a win.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
A team of highly motivated squad players might have a better chance of winning than a team of physically and mentally worn starters.
Priority for me is keeping as many players fit as possible,because injuries can make squad players starters in an instant. That includes Mignolet.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
A team of highly motivated squad players might have a better chance of winning than a team of physically and mentally worn starters.
Priority for me is keeping as many players fit as possible,because injuries can make squad players starters in an instant. That includes Mignolet.

If they're physically and mentally worn in January, then we're in big trouble
Better looking than Samie.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size

I'm hoping the opposite is true. And that Klopp's (relatively) pragmatic style of play with less running and pressing actions will mean he can let them off the leash in the run in.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Indeed. Mentally they should be in great shape. 1 defeat so far, clear by 4 points and a run of winnable fixtures. If after all the positives they are mentally drained then we definitely have something to worry about.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
I could imagine that several of our best players could struggle with the motivation for a 3rd round FA cup match just after the city battle. Might actually get a better team with more motivated squad players.
It's not gonna be a problem in the league. Klopp and the team seem to be very focused on the league.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
I could imagine that several of our best players could struggle with the motivation for a 3rd round FA cup match just after the city battle. Might actually get a better team with more motivated squad players.
It's not gonna be a problem in the league. Klopp and the team seem to be very focused on the league.

Motivation is different than "physically and mentally worn" though.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
You can still be mentally worn but motivated - it's not mutually exclusive.

Additionally, we  played 8 games in december + the city game 3 days ago.

They can definitely be mentally and physically tired - they are allowed to be.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
You can still be mentally worn but motivated - it's not mutually exclusive.

Additionally, we  played 8 games in december + the city game 3 days ago.

They can definitely be mentally and physically tired - they are allowed to be.

If they are mentally and physically tired in January, then it doesn't bode well for the rest of the season.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Sounds like we will be making quite a few changes.

In the grand scheme of things I'm not interested in this competition given what's at stake in the league and Europe. It's an opportunity to rest players and give those on the fringes an opportunity. I agree with dudleyred's team. I'd also give duncan a spot on the bench along with Curtis Jones

Mignolet

Hoever/Camacho
Lovren
VVD
Moreno

Fabinho
Keita
Lallana

Sturridge
Origi
Shaqiri

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If they are mentally and physically tired in January, then it doesn't bode well for the rest of the season.

I'm sure we can use this coming month with the long gaps and likely some warm weather training to recharge.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan

Mignolet

Hoever/Camacho Milner
Lovren
VVD
Moreno

Fabinho
Keita
Lallana

Sturridge
Origi
Shaqiri

Milner was rusty for the Man City game and needs to get back up to speed. His experience will be worthwhile too. I would also have Origi on the right, cutting in with Moreno overlapping. Studge in the middle where his footwork and goal instinct is most dangerous
« Last Edit: January 6, 2019, 01:38:14 pm by mrantarctica »

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
Given the break until the Brighton game, I suspect a few may be surprised by how strong we line up. If anyone's not close to 100% then I'm sure they'll be rested, but we won't be privy to who that will be.

My guess would be that one of VVD and Lovren will be rested, but not both. I suspect VVD will be playing given Lovren's injury proneness. Robertson the other I'd suspect will be protected. Aside from that I think it'll be rotation rather than resting.

Something mentioned in the Anfield Wrap a week ago which I never really appreciated. Playing a game is often less stressful on your body than training, so in some cases I wonder if this will be treated like a training session as far as players fitness goes.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
I would also have Origi on the right, cutting in with Moreno overlapping
That's a big overlap. ;)
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
That's a big overlap. ;)

Hahah quite, I mean cutting in on his favoured Right foot.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub

How can they not be physically off peak after 9 games in 30 days ending with the hardest game of the season
There’s no other point in the rest of the season when they’ll be asked to complete a similarly tough schedule

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
We have 3 competitions to compete in for the rest of the season, neither the PL or UCL are guarantees.

We haven't won a trophy for what nearly 7 years ?

It would be a big mistake to make wholesale changes in this game, hopefully we have learnt our lesson from the last time we fcuked up in the FA Cup against Wolves.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
Klopp confirming that Moreno and Mignolet play and that story that the young dutch lad might be involved suggests it'll be second string team. fortunately our second string these days isn't shabby man for man it's just whether they can put it together as a team on the night.

Mignolet

Camacho/Hoever  Fabinho  VVD/Lovren  Moreno

Milner   Keita

Shaqiri           Sturridge        Lallana

Origi

It's a shame Salah probably won't play. He's always good for a penalty when VAR is being used.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We have 3 competitions to compete in for the rest of the season, neither the PL or UCL are guarantees.

It would be a big mistake to make wholesale changes in this game, hopefully we have learnt our lesson from the last time we fcuked up in the FA Cup against Wolves.

It makes perfect sense to rest players in this game.

All the top teams have, even Championship & div 1 sides have rested players.

The league and CL is more important. If we get to the QF then we should start taking it seriously.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Klopp confirming that Moreno and Mignolet play and that story that the young dutch lad might be involved suggests it'll be second string team. fortunately our second string these days isn't shabby man for man it's just whether they can put it together as a team on the night.

Mignolet

Camacho/Hoever  Fabinho  VVD/Lovren  Moreno

Milner   Keita

Shaqiri           Sturridge        Lallana

Origi

It's a shame Salah probably won't play. He's always good for a penalty when VAR is being used.
A very strong team that...

Without any cohesion of course
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed

Without any cohesion of course

When did we sign him?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

• Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
It makes perfect sense to rest players in this game.

All the top teams have, even Championship & div 1 sides have rested players.

The league and CL is more important. If we get to the QF then we should start taking it seriously.
It makes sense to use the squad true, but what I dont want is to jeopardise our place in the competition due to making wholesale changes (how often have teams come unstuck doing exactly that?)

3/4 maximum for me, we've already lost 4 games in cup competitions this year alone.

Rhythm and and the fact we've just lost our 1st league game should be taken into account.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"

When exactly do our squad players get to play a match if we're constantly picking the same team though? That would still be a good team we have to give the likes of Sturridge, Origi, Lallana game time. What happens if we have an injury and they've had no time on the pitch? City have made 8 changes today all the top teams have to manage their players, so that they last the entire season.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
How can they not be physically off peak after 9 games in 30 days ending with the hardest game of the season
There’s no other point in the rest of the season when they’ll be asked to complete a similarly tough schedule

City's players aren't made of flesh? This stage isn't for the weak. If you can't handle it physically, mentally and emotionally, then you should change profession.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
When did we sign him?

That’s a sticky subject.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
City's players aren't made of flesh? This stage isn't for the weak. If you can't handle it physically, mentally and emotionally, then you should change profession.

Do you think our players machines or something?

• Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
When exactly do our squad players get to play a match if we're constantly picking the same team though? That would still be a good team we have to give the likes of Sturridge, Origi, Lallana game time. What happens if we have an injury and they've had no time on the pitch? City have made 8 changes today all the top teams have to manage their players, so that they last the entire season.

I've already explained in a previous post how I believe we should use the squad.

Re injuries: If we're so scared of knocks then maybe Salah, VVD, Mane, Bobby, Alisson, Robbo, Trent etc.. should only play against the top 6  ;)
A Great man once said...
It is terribly simple."

Online Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan

Should they “man-up” ?

Every athlete, elite or not, gets tired during a season. Rotation can also prevent tiredness, or, even worse, fatigue before it happens.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
Do you think our players machines or something?

Do you think City's players are machines? I'm asking because they have played the same number of games as us, and currently, pretty much, all their first eleven are on the pitch winning against Rotherham.

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Online Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Do you think City's players are machines? I'm asking because they have played the same number of games as us, and currently, pretty much, all their first eleven are on the pitch winning against Rotherham.

They made 8 changes... they just have a quality squad.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
I've already explained in a previous post how I believe we should use the squad.

Re injuries: If we're so scared of knocks then maybe Salah, VVD, Mane, Bobby, Alisson, Robbo, Trent etc.. should only play against the top 6  ;)

It's about the manager making decisions on individual players depending on how they are at any stage of the season. If he feels Salah or anyone else will benefit from a rest, that's what he'll do. The other players need to be ready to step in when they happens. A manager has to balance both his main eleven and the other players in his squad. That's been behind a lot of what we've already done, getting the right balance.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

They're not, which would explain why Guardiola has made eight changes from Thursday.

It's called rotation, a lot of managers do it in the domestic cups.  And it doesn't suggest physical and mental weakness, arguing that it does is the definition of stupidity.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
They're not, which would explain why Guardiola has made eight changes from Thursday.

It's called rotation, a lot of managers do it in the domestic cups.  And it doesn't suggest physical and mental weakness, arguing that it does is the definition of stupidity.

If we follow Guardiola's example, we should start: Alisson, VVD, Fabinho, Shaqiri and Salah.

SLAVA
UKRAINI

• Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
It's about the manager making decisions on individual players depending on how they are at any stage of the season. If he feels Salah or anyone else will benefit from a rest, that's what he'll do. The other players need to be ready to step in when they happens. A manager has to balance both his main eleven and the other players in his squad. That's been behind a lot of what we've already done, getting the right balance.

I agree Jurgen knows far more than I ever will and will always take what he feels to be the best decision for the benefit of LFC. If he feels a player needs a rest then he will do it and rightly so

All I'm doing is offering an opinion (like everyone on here)....

Lets just hope those advocating risking our participation in the comp. won't be on the lookout for tickets if we advance to the QF and beyond ;)

A Great man once said...
It is terribly simple."