Author Topic: FA Cup 3rd Round - Wolverhampton Wanders v Liverpool FC, 7th Jan 2019 at 19:45  (Read 41320 times)

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
Of course he has to be ready. But the lad was promoted to the first team squad by Jurgen himself who thinks highly of him already. I certainly trust him on this call, it could be he wants the lad to have first team experience on the bench, or maybe he has something more lined up for him. I think we need to wait and see. I haven't seen much of the under 23's much this season, but the lad has been making waves with a lot of respected people on that side of things. So it's all exciting.

Camacho and Jones have been promoted to the first team squad before and never got a sniff. They are also very highly rated by Klopp.

Personally, I think he'll start on the bench and may get a few minutes depending on how the game goes. I'd be amazed if he starts him at CB though. But if he does, I'll certainly be rooting for the lad.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Doubt the lads are that brittle that confidence is smashed if our reserves lose to Wolves.

Perhaps not, but they aren't robots, they are human beings. Confidence can easily be lost, teams who have looked invincible can all of a sudden start to wobble. Now you'd like to think it wouldn't affect us, but you never know in football.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
I'd be slightly wary of playing Keita in this, after the recent league game there and some of the 'attention' he got from players and fans. He should be emerging as a key player for us in the coming games, bedded into Klopp's way of playing, a run of games against weaker opposition that we'll need to attack and break down. An injury or suspension from a rash reaction here wouldn't be too helpful.

We could rotate heavily in the midfield/forward areas without him; Sturridge, Origi, Shaqiri and Lallana ahead of a midfield two, for example. Wijnaldum and Milner looked the most fatigued on Thursday, though Milner came off earlier and probably isn't as key for the coming league game(s) so might still be used - possibly at RB. Of those that started at the Etihad, Henderson probably has the legs for this if necessary and Fabinho will play somewhere. Moreno at LB, and tend to agree with SG that Lovren/Van Dijk should be able to play this, given the lack of real alternatives. If we were to play a 16 year old, or give Fabinho a game at CB, you'd probably want either to be partnered by VVD rather than Lovren.

Trent, Robertson and Wijnaldum shouldn't be involved. Ideally, none of the front three would be either, but Klopp tends to prefer one of them even in such games. Mane, possibly, though in all likelihood it will be the indestructible Bobby.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'd be slightly wary of playing Keita in this, after the recent league game there and some of the 'attention' he got from players and fans. He should be emerging as a key player for us in the coming games, bedded into Klopp's way of playing, a run of games against weaker opposition that we'll need to attack and break down. An injury or suspension from a rash reaction here wouldn't be too helpful.

We could rotate heavily in the midfield/forward areas without him; Sturridge, Origi, Shaqiri and Lallana ahead of a midfield two, for example. Wijnaldum and Milner looked the most fatigued on Thursday, though Milner came off earlier and probably isn't as key for the coming league game(s) so might still be used - possibly at RB. Of those that started at the Etihad, Henderson probably has the legs for this if necessary and Fabinho will play somewhere. Moreno at LB, and tend to agree with SG that Lovren/Van Dijk should be able to play this, given the lack of real alternatives. If we were to play a 16 year old, or give Fabinho a game at CB, you'd probably want either to be partnered by VVD rather than Lovren.

Trent, Robertson and Wijnaldum shouldn't be involved. Ideally, none of the front three would be either, but Klopp tends to prefer one of them even in such games. Mane, possibly, though in all likelihood it will be the indestructible Bobby.

Yep. Degsy has enough on his own plate trying to look after his own game. The last thing he needs is the task of looking after a 16-year-old as well.

Offline M(oaning) B(ecomes) E(mbarrassing)

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thoroughly thought through
Perhaps not, but they aren't robots, they are human beings. Confidence can easily be lost, teams who have looked invincible can all of a sudden start to wobble. Now you'd like to think it wouldn't affect us, but you never know in football.

Nah, that's too negative.  Confidence wasn't lost when we went 1-0 down at home to Arsenal, was it?  I'm not saying Liverpool are exactly invincible but that defence is a joy to watch but we met Man City on top of their game and they are a very, very good team.  There's only one team better than Man City in the Premier League and that's...us.  We won't meet them again - or anyone like them - in the league this season.  As far as I'm concerned, a defeat against Wolves will mean absolutely nothing to me in what's become a meaningless competition.
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Offline kezzy

• Kopite
I’d go with a Gini, Fabinho, Shaqiri midfield and the usual front 3 against Brighton so I’d go with everyone else who’s available for Wolves.  So Henderson, Milner, Keita, Lallana, Sturridge and Origi as our front 6.  Don’t know what formation that works out with like.  Think Mignolet is gonna play the domestic cups so he’s in goal and Moreno probably plays left back.  Haven’t got a clue who else makes up the defence.  I’d like to see Virgil and Robbo given a rest but also want to see us bounce straight back after a defeat.  I also think Wolves will make a load of changes as well. 

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
As far as I'm concerned, a defeat against Wolves will mean absolutely nothing to me in what's become a meaningless competition.
I get that; every time we go out of the FA Cup early, I'm less disappointed than losing literally any league game, any season. But we have a 28 year old title drought in our heads. I don't think the players really think like that. We can plot out how an early exit helps us physically over the remainder of the season, but it might not happen like that. Psychologically, an early exit from this and an entirely possible defeat against Bayern could deflate the squad, leaving plenty of physical recovery time but more time to dwell on the pressures of the league.

To butcher an old quote, if in doubt win the game and we'll worry about squad management later.

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Our 3 champions league losses and exit from the Carbao cup had no impact. Our players are made of sterner stuff. Our second string losing to wolves would have fuck all impact.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
This is a very good point that people seem to be missing. We need to get back to winning ways as soon as. A bad defeat away at Wolves after we've just been beat off City won't be good for confidence.

Would also give Brighton extra motivation just like Palace gave Leicester extra motivation when they City. It made them look like they could be got at and so it proved.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
Would also give Brighton extra motivation just like Palace gave Leicester extra motivation when they City. It made them look like they could be got at and so it proved.

;D Did you get a cliche book for Christmas?

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
Our 3 champions league losses and exit from the Carbao cup had no impact. Our players are made of sterner stuff. Our second string losing to wolves would have fuck all impact.

To be fair, we lost 2 league points directly after our League Cup exit.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
;D Did you get a cliche book for Christmas?

I'm up to #123  ;D

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
Rest players because they might get injured .... wimps.

Jurgen demands players go 100% in training. We've had players get injured there. Should we rest players from training too?

Play the best possible lineup.

We are Liverpool, we want to win things.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline toe punt

• Anny Roader
We should treat this as a training game for our squad players. If we win, fine, if we lose, who really cares? Less fixture congestion and more rest going forward. The only two trophies that matter are the league and champions league. The FA Cup is more a tedious distraction these days.
The main benefit of winning this game will be to avoid all the sensationalist bollocks about 'Liverpool in crisis' in the media that will do doubt follow should we go out. I wish we were playing Brighton today and not waiting for this shite game.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
For a club that has only won one league cup in over ten years, the FA Cup should NEVER be seen as a 'tedious distraction'. We are not above this competition. Thankfully though, I don't think the club or the manager share that view. It might be 3rd in the list of priorities, but it's a competition we'll be trying to win and a competition the players and manager we will be delighted to win if it should happen.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Think we'll struggle with significant changes being made. Not sure how deep Wolves's squad is but it seems when they play in the league it's often very similar line ups picked by Santo. If they can rotate themselves I'm sure they would but I expect them to go with a similar team to what they went with against us.

Alisson
Hoever   Lovren   Fabinho   Milner
Henderson
Keita   Lallana
Shaqiri   Sturridge   Origi

If they play with similar intensity to how they did a couple of weeks ago it'll be a very tough game, possibly great experience for Hoever at only 16, whatever role he plays.

Still with the changes, I think we can go there and win, 2-1.

COME ON YOU FUCKIN REDS!!!
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline buttersstotch

• Legacy Fan
I'd like us to play a strong line up, but I'm firmly in the camp of resting our key players. There are a lot of games coming up in January and this is a perfect time to use the squad.

I would expect Wolves to rotate slightly too. The only real difficulty is our lack of CBs. Think it might be Fabinho and Lovren there myself.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'd be amazed if VVD is dropped. I really would.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan

He never gets dropped. He gets rested.

Again the data will drive everything. If its positive, ok. If not, dont risk him.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

No one would have been "dropped" if they don't play, they'd be getting a rest in a domestic cup game.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Would you be amazed if he was rested? He’s started pretty much all our matches this season, I would say he could do with a rest.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Stop being pedantic. You know what I meant.

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Would you be amazed if he was rested? He’s started pretty much all our matches this season, I would say he could do with a rest.

I would be, yes.

As for him needing a rest, I think the starting line-up will tell us if he does or doesn't need one.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
I'd be looking to rest the players who cover a ridiculous amount of ground (especially over December).
Salah
Manè
Firmino
Roberton
Trent
Gini

Outside of that, I don't mind picking a strong side.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2019, 12:55:14 pm by spider-neil »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
I'd be looking the players who cover a ridiculous amount of ground (especially over December).
Salah
Manè
Firmino
Roberton
Trent
Gini

Completely agree. I think the subbing a lot of Robbo, Wijnaldum and Firmino probably illustrates where they are physically.

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
No one would have been "dropped" if they don't play, they'd be getting a rest in a domestic cup game.

Dropped, rested, omitted from the first eleven, unavailable to start the game...Does it really matter how I phrased it?

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'd be looking the players who cover a ridiculous amount of ground (especially over December).
Salah
Manè
Firmino
Roberton
Trent
Gini

I'd go along with that.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Anthony sodding Taylor again, what have we done to deserve him?  :butt

You're never happy.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub

Again the data will drive everything. If its positive, ok. If not, dont risk him.

What data do you mean?
If you’re talking about his cumulative fatigue it’s not pretty  - he’s over his career max (@simonbrundish) and he’s played 9 games in what - 30 days or less so we have that data and it’s not great
In terms of injury prevention it’s not an exact science - the biggest indicator of future injury is previous injury (he’s had a serious one of those) and fatigue

It’s not really a tough call - if he gets injured it’s very hard to see us winning the league (same with Salah) so playing him in this is extremely hard to justify

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good

Jurgen demands players go 100% in training. We've had players get injured there. Should we rest players from training too?

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
We could have used Clyne for this one...
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

We obviously have other options that Klopp is perfectly happy to use if he wants to make changes.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"

Klopp had already decided to let Clyne go, he needs regular first team football, he's not getting it at Liverpool.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

Think he's played every game apart from against Chelsea in the League Cup.

He might play like it but the man isn't a machine, he's going to need a rest at some point.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Annoyingly Clyne is cup tied for this
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
Own goal if its level on 90. No replays on this Brexit cup.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
So when do you propose giving a rest to those playing week in week out? Robertson for example?

It depends on how they feel both physically and mentally, I personally think he shouldn't make any more than 3/4 changes for this game.

I'm a big believer in continuity and I'm sure the players will want to return to winning ways after Thu.

For instance after Wolves we don't play until Saturday, then a week until the following Saturday then depending on the result of the cup tie may not play for 10 days ?

It's also not beyond the realms of possibility that one or two changes are made in the Brighton and Palace games.

The starting line up the last time up we fooked up at home v Wolves: Karius, Gomez, Moreno, Klavan, Randall, Wijnaldum, Leiva (c), Ojaria, Firmino, Origi, Woodburn.

Far too often you see managers making wholesale changes and getting beat, I don't want this to happen to us.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Klopp's history in the FA Cup suggests he will rest players though. I'm not really all for resting 10/11 players in a competition we can win and I'd love us to win the FA Cup but the flipside is that we've had four games in a relatively short space of time, are going for bigger trophies in the league and in the Champions League and need to use our squad so that players get a rest - they need one because no one can play with the same intensity if they're playing 50/60 games a season. That's why there's rotation and that's why other teams do it too. Yeah players might get injured in training but if they're rested they won't be playing (or training) at 8.00pm on Monday so there's less risk of them getting injured.

I'd be surprised if we played a full strength team and sad as it is, I wouldn't want most of the players who have been playing playing on Monday. Still, we can bring in Mignolet, Keita, Moreno, Lallana, Sturridge, Origi and Shaqiri and none of them started or played much against Man City. I'm interested in what Wolves do too, given they're not gonna get relegated and this is a chance for them to win something. They should be playing a full strength team but I suspect they won't either - which suits us I suppose given they have Man City next in the league.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Gray Hamster

• Not bong eyed but quite fond of little furry things.....
  • Legacy Fan
stop stop stop.
Don't even talk about confidence, at what point in this season in the prem have we not looked confident? We've oozed confidence right through the league season, including city away. This is NOT a team that will start playing nervous football ffs.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Klopp's history in the FA Cup suggests he will rest players though. I'm not really all for resting 10/11 players in a competition we can win and I'd love us to win the FA Cup but the flipside is that we've had four games in a relatively short space of time, are going for bigger trophies in the league and in the Champions League and need to use our squad so that players get a rest - they need one because no one can play with the same intensity if they're playing 50/60 games a season. That's why there's rotation and that's why other teams do it too. Yeah players might get injured in training but if they're rested they won't be playing (or training) at 8.00pm on Monday so there's less risk of them getting injured.

I'd be surprised if we played a full strength team and sad as it is, I wouldn't want most of the players who have been playing playing on Monday. Still, we can bring in Mignolet, Keita, Moreno, Lallana, Sturridge, Origi and Shaqiri and none of them started or played much against Man City. I'm interested in what Wolves do too, given they're not gonna get relegated and this is a chance for them to win something. They should be playing a full strength team but I suspect they won't either - which suits us I suppose given they have Man City next in the league.

Perfect analogy on how I feel most would approach this. The only player of those I wouldn't consider giving a game however is Mignolet. Nothing against him as it doesn't feel like he's kicked up a fuss about not playing, but for me there's no need to rest out best keeper. I'd be much more in favour of giving a game to one of the younger lads if not Alisson, simply for the reason Mignolet has no future here beyond being number 2 til the end of the season.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.