Author Topic: The Men in Suits behind the scenes  (Read 553912 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: The Men in Suits behind the scenes
« Reply #1840 on: November 25, 2022, 12:58:04 pm »
Yeah could well be.

They've just poached Dan Ashworth havent they....? To much acclaim. I'd be pretty surprised if they then bump him off for Edwards and his team.

Far be it from me to suggest people stop putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with numberwang.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1841 on: November 25, 2022, 01:55:27 pm »
It's very scary times.

Lots of change, uncertainty and who knows what happens in the future.

But many people wanted change.  The wanted rid of FSG, so they have got their wish and can't moan now when the highly successful analytical nerds are leaving as they were part of FSGs plan.  They have been a huge part of our success.

Well done FSG Out critics, you have brought huge chaos and uncertain times to the club.

You wanted this, so don't moan now.

hahahahaahahaha I love shit like this. If John Henry is spending his days reading Al's posts on RAWK then I hope he explains in a future autobiography how to monetize that.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline JordanTremenderson

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1842 on: November 25, 2022, 01:59:19 pm »
hahahahaahahaha I love shit like this. If John Henry is spending his days reading Al's posts on RAWK then I hope he explains in a future autobiography how to monetize that.

No one has said he's reading RAWK or anything.

But he'd have to be blind to not see many wanted him & FSG out of the club.

Stop being stupid.  ;D

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1843 on: November 25, 2022, 02:11:27 pm »

We should poach Brighton scouts before Ashworth does it.

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #1844 on: November 25, 2022, 02:18:47 pm »

Stop being stupid.  ;D

These are hard nosed investors. They are due to make an enormous profit on their investment in LFC.
Most people on here accept that they have been good owners. They hired Klopp, implemented a world class transfer team, and transformed Anfield. We have experienced yet another amazing period in the history of this great club.

The argument from detractors has been in relation to their lack of investment in the playing side.
Recently the arguments have gotten out of hand as the lack of investment has started to impact our ability to compete as some predicted.

Not sure where you got the idea that Liverpool supporters are forcing the owners out. In fact you are the only one to put forward that opinion. Where we are focused is who they choose to sell our beloved club to, this will be their legacy and will ultimately determine how we view them as custodians of our club.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1845 on: November 25, 2022, 02:31:54 pm »
You don't think a huge percentage of our fanbase haven't been wanting FSG Out?  Haven't been sending them constant abuse?  Haven't craved new ownership and change?  Have criticised the way they operate?

Sorry but you're clueless then.

you seem to be confusing Liverpool FC fans with Man United fans.

• Kopite
« Reply #1846 on: November 25, 2022, 02:45:06 pm »
you seem to be confusing Liverpool FC fans with Man United fans.

All United fans wanted rid of Glazers.

A LOT of LFC have wanted rid of FSG, sadly.

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1847 on: November 25, 2022, 02:49:13 pm »

FSG selling has absolutely nothing to do with teenagers on twitter in Zimbabwe having a negative opinion on them. They don't take dividends, so the only method they would have to ultimately monetise LFC would be when they sell, this has always been their strategy and exit plan.

There will be many factors as to why 'now' however the significant rise in value since the purchase of the club having realised most likely the true value of the club. Along with the hollow application of FFP laws, leading to self sustainable clubs not being financially able to compete would be the two biggest factors.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1848 on: November 25, 2022, 02:49:46 pm »

Its 'cultists' like you that give the rest of us balanced FSG 'supporters' a bad name :D

A lot have been critical, recently probably rightly so. Not many have wanted rid of FSG, certainly not openly. There have been a lot however saying they've maybe taken us as far as they can. The problem is that there isn't really 'anyone' better unless you get an oil state (and thats not really better anyway).
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

• Kopite
« Reply #1849 on: November 25, 2022, 02:58:20 pm »
Its 'cultists' like you that give the rest of us balanced FSG 'supporters' a bad name :D

A lot have been critical, recently probably rightly so. Not many have wanted rid of FSG, certainly not openly. There have been a lot however saying they've maybe taken us as far as they can. The problem is that there isn't really 'anyone' better unless you get an oil state (and thats not really better anyway).

Who are you to say you're "balanced"?  Behave! ;D

I have no issue with people wanting to give their opinions, they are entitled to them and yours is perfectly reasonable.

But let's not pretend many have wanted FSG Out, that's what I am saying.

They seem to be getting their wish, they can't moan about the unrest if they wanted that.

That's all I'm saying. 

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #1850 on: November 25, 2022, 03:31:05 pm »

Lobo, you are not balanced, come on now ;D

(not agreeing with Mr Tremenderson either of course), just that comment of yours was amusing!

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1851 on: November 25, 2022, 04:23:36 pm »
Anfield Index podcast from yesterday is a decent listen, albeit still speculative and very much from the prism of 'Analytics is intrinsically great and there's nobody better cos they worked at CERN and were astrophysicists'. That's not objective - but at least it's a little informed.

https://t.co/msf9jGbgXV

Me personally, it's about fixing a process that's become broken enough to leave us short when we needed more cover. If that continues or gets worse from here, we've got a big problem. If it gets better... we haven't.

I don't think you can say 'We didn't sign Brandt, we signed Salah' and cite it as evidence that the analytics team were the key factor in our success. I've very little doubt that Brandt would have done very well under Klopp. Hardly any player hasn't kicked on under Klopp. It's about the balance - someone should be keeping the process balanced but ensuring the key opinions are taken into account.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 04:50:30 pm by royhendo »
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1852 on: November 25, 2022, 04:33:12 pm »
The other thing is - they're not going on gardening leave, are they? They're continuing until the end of the season (or is that me misreading a 2nd hand relay of the Paul Joyce article?).
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1853 on: November 25, 2022, 04:36:28 pm »
You got it right mate. Ward and Graham working till end of the season.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1854 on: November 25, 2022, 04:39:29 pm »

Me personally, it's about fixing a process that's become broken enough to leave us short when we needed more cover. If that continues or gets worse from here, we've got a big problem. If it gets better... we haven't.

That's about right for me in terms of the actual processes and who makes what decisions. At the end of the day if our search for the 'right' player has been part of why we've not got players in, that's not a system that's worked really.

The worry for me is purely the surprise element of this and the fact seemingly we tried to persuade them to stay and they didn't want to. Alongside the more general mood of change in the club - christ in football itself given the mancs sale and all the other stuff - it just feels a bit off, and not like the quiet and calm of the previous 4 or 5 years.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1855 on: November 25, 2022, 04:59:19 pm »
Anfield Index podcast from yesterday is a decent listen, albeit still speculative and very much from the prism of 'Analytics is intrinsically great and there's nobody better cos they worked at CERN and were astrophysicists'. That's not objective - but at least it's a little informed.

https://t.co/msf9jGbgXV

Haven't listened yet but on the face of it that's a clearly flawed view. Analytics isn't intrinsically great in fact without the right application it can hold you back (see Comolli and the chances created fiasco)
The ability and advocacy of an analyst is critical to making it productive for your team

All the big clubs will have pretty much the same data now but what matters is a) do you know what data matters... what does your system need and how is it measured b) translating data into performance - if your coaches can't understand and translate to players and scouts can't understand what to look for then what the data is showing the data is worthless and c) that the advocate of the data has enough personal charisma, authority and conviction to convince decision makers to make the right call
Analytics on its own is close to worthless

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1856 on: November 25, 2022, 05:02:34 pm »
That's about right for me in terms of the actual processes and who makes what decisions. At the end of the day if our search for the 'right' player has been part of why we've not got players in, that's not a system that's worked really.

The worry for me is purely the surprise element of this and the fact seemingly we tried to persuade them to stay and they didn't want to. Alongside the more general mood of change in the club - christ in football itself given the mancs sale and all the other stuff - it just feels a bit off, and not like the quiet and calm of the previous 4 or 5 years.

Agreed, not too bothered on them going ability wise though they've done great for us but there's plenty of excellent people in football and I'd back us to find them. My concern especially with Ward is why. Edwards you can understand getting bored after all these years but Ward has been promoted and promoted but after all the hard work leaves as soon as he gets the top job, bit of an odd one. On top of that you have Gordon's role being changed to sell the club, a shit position in the league table, a midfield that's a bit of a mess etc etc when you add em all up it all feels a bit worrying. Perhaps more will come out soon and things will feel better when we beat City in the cup too.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #1857 on: November 25, 2022, 05:13:26 pm »
Haven't listened yet but on the face of it that's a clearly flawed view. Analytics isn't intrinsically great in fact without the right application it can hold you back (see Comolli and the chances created fiasco)
The ability and advocacy of an analyst is critical to making it productive for your team

All the big clubs will have pretty much the same data now but what matters is a) do you know what data matters... what does your system need and how is it measured b) translating data into performance - if your coaches can't understand and translate to players and scouts can't understand what to look for then what the data is showing the data is worthless and c) that the advocate of the data has enough personal charisma, authority and conviction to convince decision makers to make the right call
Analytics on its own is close to worthless
Agree with that. It's what what you've got it's what you do with it that matters.

This is really a staffing issue. Just like there's always another amazing player coming through if you miss out on one, so there will always be other amazing candidate for just about any role in a football club. The question is only whether you recruit the right people or not.

Broadening that point, just as players and managers can lose their edge over time, so can other staff and so can strategies. So turnover is not necessarily a bad thing - you can't know if it is or not until that turnover happens. The individuals set to leave need not be a major problem as long as their successors are well recruited. Even changing strategy need not be a bad thing. It's just that we won't know until after it's had a chance to be implemented.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1858 on: November 25, 2022, 10:37:40 pm »
Safe to say very few people have been enthused with our transfer strategy these past few windows. Taking into Klopp’s comments about wanting to take more risks (not budget), you wonder if some of his ire was towards Ward and his team.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1859 on: November 25, 2022, 10:43:22 pm »
Safe to say very few people have been enthused with our transfer strategy these past few windows. Taking into Klopp’s comments about wanting to take more risks (not budget), you wonder if some of his ire was towards Ward and his team.

Has it been a case of a lack of transfer strategy or simply a lack of funds?

For me Klopp has wanted to recruit , Edwards wanted to recruit to and Ward wanted to recruit. If you are involved in football then wanting to get better players is in your DNA.

The funds simply haven't been there

« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 06:55:16 am by Al 666 »
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #1860 on: November 25, 2022, 11:38:51 pm »

Stop being stupid.  ;D
I'm only just catching up with this thread and I'm quite surprised to hear it said that loads of our fans have wanted Henry and FSG out.

There's been kickback when they've made some mistakes, but I don't recall there ever being a real groundswell of opinion wanting them gone.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #1861 on: November 26, 2022, 12:34:30 am »
I'm only just catching up with this thread and I'm quite surprised to hear it said that loads of our fans have wanted Henry and FSG out.

There's been kickback when they've made some mistakes, but I don't recall there ever being a real groundswell of opinion wanting them gone.

Post match threads probably. There are a few posters who immediately come to mind, and they’re not new accounts either.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #1862 on: November 26, 2022, 01:37:36 am »
Post match threads probably. There are a few posters who immediately come to mind, and they’re not new accounts either.
Ah, ok. I've probably missed much of it then, if it's in those threads.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1863 on: November 26, 2022, 02:43:58 am »
It’s incredible how people think what they read on twitter is relevant. Most of the football accounts on there are by kids and it is nearly always at odds with normal fans. These kids just want to sign the highest profile player and be able to take the piss out of fans from other clubs. It’s a magnified version of football forums from years gone by like this with no moderation.

We see this so much as twitter users but it’s so far removed from the real world. I’d love twitter to die and hopefully that the clown musk helps it happen with his recent moves.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1864 on: November 26, 2022, 03:34:25 am »
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1865 on: November 26, 2022, 05:34:26 am »
Michael Zorc who worked to Klopp @ BVB is between gigs.

https://www.liverpool.com/liverpool-fc-news/features/liverpool-jurgen-klopp-ward-dortmund-25603025
Can he play as a six though...

That would be an excellent addition if it happens, even if it's just a fantasy now.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1866 on: November 26, 2022, 07:56:02 am »

https://www.liverpool.com/liverpool-fc-news/features/liverpool-jurgen-klopp-ward-dortmund-25603025
2015 RAWk would be in wonderland. Kind of interested in how he's perceived now given how much Dortmund dropped off from there high of the early 2010s. Also need some kind of '6 possible sporting directors' article to get the transfer-esque excitement going with no players being linked. Spent some time reading up on Brentford's DOF I'm so starved of content.

Offline LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
« Reply #1867 on: November 26, 2022, 12:08:15 pm »

Everyone I've spoken to is more concerned about the potential destabilising effect this will have and the general consensus around me at the match is that they've been good owners. Obviously they've not been perfect (e.g. £77 ticket price debacle) but they've delivered pretty much everything we wanted. They could have delivered more silverware but that's as much about us being up against a bunch of sportswashing cheats as it is about lack of player investment (which has its risks as our friends across Stanley Park can confirm). Ultimately we've been let down more by the likes of the FA, Premier League and UEFA for failing to clamp down on the hijacking of football for PR purposes at Abu Dhabi PR FC, the Bloodmoney Barcodes and PSG. I would love it if the spotlight on human rights abuses continues after the World Cup but I'm not holding my breath

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #1868 on: November 26, 2022, 12:43:31 pm »

seen him mentioned a couple times, and wonder if it’s a joke?  ;D

Nothing against Michael Zorc, who is rightly as big a BVB legend as there is, but it’d be such an odd step both for him and Liverpool.

And to be honest, a totally over hyped reputation as a sporting director. Prior to Jürgen Klopp arriving at BVB, he was not seen in any great light in his role, in fact, he was likely on shaky ground. Yes, of course he’s signed some really good players and been part of a team with his scouts who found a lot of good players ‘on the cheap’. But in more recent years he was also the sporting director who headed a department that spent an awful lot of money poorly too.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1869 on: November 27, 2022, 07:09:01 pm »
Liverpool appoint new club doctor Jonathan Power before Premier League’s resumption

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/liverpool-appoint-new-club-doctor-jonathan-power-before-premier-leagues-resumption-tkfrpbp0t

We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1870 on: November 27, 2022, 07:12:46 pm »

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1871 on: November 27, 2022, 07:15:24 pm »
If he was England team doctor for nine years from 2012 he's probably had loads of experience with injured Liverpool players. Is that a plus?

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1872 on: November 27, 2022, 07:25:34 pm »
Can he play midfield?
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1873 on: November 27, 2022, 07:27:24 pm »
Liverpool appoint new club doctor Jonathan Power before Premier League’s resumption

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/liverpool-appoint-new-club-doctor-jonathan-power-before-premier-leagues-resumption-tkfrpbp0t

Is he related to Max Power? If so, we can strap in and feel the Gs.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1874 on: November 27, 2022, 07:56:50 pm »
Can he play midfield?

How are his algorithms?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1875 on: November 27, 2022, 08:41:20 pm »
Is he related to Max Power? If so, we can strap in and feel the Gs.

He's Paddy's brother,.

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1876 on: November 27, 2022, 09:00:26 pm »

John Power you say? At least we know he's good with a cast. Otherwise we would walkaway.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1877 on: November 27, 2022, 09:02:09 pm »
Jonathan Power! He's the man with the name you want to touch, but you mustn't touch! His finger feels bad in your ear, but when you feel it, you mustn't fear, 'cause that infection can be caused by any baaaalllll

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #1878 on: November 27, 2022, 09:44:34 pm »
If he was England team doctor for nine years from 2012 he's probably had loads of experience with injured Liverpool players. Is that a plus?

Local lad. He's from West Derby

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1879 on: November 30, 2022, 03:32:06 pm »
https://twitter.com/Plettigoal/status/1597973469085724672

Excl. News #Mislintat: He is a candidate in order to replace Ward as a Sporting Director at #LFC in summer 2023! No concrete negotiations yet but he‘s open for Liverpool. Relation to Klopp still brilliant. They have worked together in Dortmund (08-15). [@Sky_Marc- @SkySportDE]