Author Topic: Arsenal: Top of the divers league  (Read 361574 times)

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
Re: Arsenal: Top of the divers league
« Reply #8080 on: April 29, 2024, 02:25:04 pm »
Arteta is a c*nt but he is one hell of a coach. I still maintain that at both ends of the field Arsenal don't have top quality but what he has done has been able to build a system which suffocates most Premier League sides, so much so that they don't need an absolute elite backline/goalkeeper or striker.

That would not work in Europe however and in the CL, where you need to have both a system and that individual quality. But for the Premier League its been highly effective.
Sorry, but that's nonsense.

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #8081 on: April 29, 2024, 02:34:46 pm »
Sorry, but that's nonsense.

Agreed

Saliba, Gabriel, Saka and Martinelli are all top players

Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline Working Class Hen-Pecked Hero

• Is something to be...Lives at 999 Letsby Avenue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8082 on: April 29, 2024, 02:47:04 pm »
I blame social media for a lot. I used to really like Arsenal, good players never had issues with their fans. The past few years you see loads of their fans coming across as gobshites. That could be down to the fact the more abrasive you are the more attention you get and the algorithm of most liked and commented posts.

They do a lot really well. The shithouse on the field you need, tactical fouls, players going down 60-70 mins for their every game huddle. Couple that with their actual play, which is fast and good touches and finding space. Ignoring social media I'd rather them win it.

The only thing that does really piss me off, is Arteta out of his area and on the pitch all game
I'm telling you, Bowie died and it's all gone to fuck.

Offline Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8083 on: April 29, 2024, 05:20:57 pm »
I blame social media for a lot. I used to really like Arsenal, good players never had issues with their fans. The past few years you see loads of their fans coming across as gobshites. That could be down to the fact the more abrasive you are the more attention you get and the algorithm of most liked and commented posts.
It's true for all fans on social media.

Offline Working Class Hen-Pecked Hero

• Is something to be...Lives at 999 Letsby Avenue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8084 on: April 29, 2024, 06:28:09 pm »
It's true for all fans on social media.

Agreed. I think its more telling of myself getting wound up by it, or engaging
I'm telling you, Bowie died and it's all gone to fuck.

Offline BigBrainArteta

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8085 on: April 30, 2024, 04:32:34 am »
They are not the pull they once were but if Barcelona come calling it will be interesting to see what happens

Wont be anytime soon anyway

Barcelona wanted Arteta to replace Xavi a few months back when Xavi announced he was leaving. Arteta said its not happening.

Im telling you know, Arteta will be Arsenal manager for a long time.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #8086 on: April 30, 2024, 05:54:29 am »
Barcelona wanted Arteta to replace Xavi a few months back when Xavi announced he was leaving. Arteta said its not happening.

If that happens, it's good for the game. I would like managers to be given more time to establish a style and philosophy. But that, unfortunately, can only be afforded to those that play regularly in the CL. All the others are slaves to instant gratification, and have to be in this money-driven game..
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8087 on: April 30, 2024, 08:04:45 am »
One thing about Arteta, hes not too proud to get advise, he was saying the other day that hes speaking to Wenger regularly, getting advise on how to handle title races. Its easily forgotten that Wenger won 3 titles.

I saw this interview with Wenger and Ljungberg, comparing the invincibles team to this one, Ljungberg compared Saka and  Martinelli to Ljungberg and Pires (no chance). Wenger said that Odegaard is this team’s Bergkamp, high praise but I can see that, but then he said what this team doesnt have is a Thierry Henry….. It only reminded me what a team that was , this team might end up on 89 points, but wouldnt stand a chance against the invincibles. Id say only Saliba Rice and  Odegaard would have a chance of getting in that team.
Anyway until this team wins something big, theres no comparisons to be made, but no doubt this is the best team weve had since back then.

Goal difference with city down to 7 now, they could potentially rack up a cricket score against wolves west ham at home and spurs away. So if they draw a game it might still be enough for them to win on goal difference.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8088 on: April 30, 2024, 08:20:35 am »
If Coty draw a game it only gives them three others to make up the difference. And it’s assuming you win your next three as well for it to finish level on points so I think you should keep the edge there.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8089 on: April 30, 2024, 08:22:38 am »
If Coty draw a game it only gives them three others to make up the difference. And it’s assuming you win your next three as well for it to finish level on points so I think you should keep the edge there.

A lot of it depends on Spurs, do they do what the fans want and lose 10-0. Or will my mate ange show us who they are mate.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #8090 on: April 30, 2024, 09:36:21 am »
One thing about Arteta, hes not too proud to get advise, he was saying the other day that hes speaking to Wenger regularly, getting advise on how to handle title races. Its easily forgotten that Wenger won 3 titles.

I saw this interview with Wenger and Ljungberg, comparing the invincibles team to this one, Ljungberg compared Saka and  Martinelli to Ljungberg and Pires (no chance). Wenger said that Odegaard is this team’s Bergkamp, high praise but I can see that, but then he said what this team doesnt have is a Thierry Henry….. It only reminded me what a team that was , this team might end up on 89 points, but wouldnt stand a chance against the invincibles. Id say only Saliba Rice and  Odegaard would have a chance of getting in that team.
Anyway until this team wins something big, theres no comparisons to be made, but no doubt this is the best team weve had since back then.

Goal difference with city down to 7 now, they could potentially rack up a cricket score against wolves west ham at home and spurs away. So if they draw a game it might still be enough for them to win on goal difference.

And that is why your lot are happy. We've gotten used to City being so untouchable that we look at the best teams we've got and still see the title going. We always used to mock Wenger for 4th being a trophy. But second is starting to look that way.
3 titles under Wenger. Brings me back to something I was wondering the other day.  Are City now more dominant than we or United were in our hayday?

--edit-- those that remember those teams, would our teams that missed out on a point get many players into the best teams of the 80s?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8091 on: April 30, 2024, 09:58:27 am »
And that is why your lot are happy. We've gotten used to City being so untouchable that we look at the best teams we've got and still see the title going. We always used to mock Wenger for 4th being a trophy. But second is starting to look that way.
3 titles under Wenger. Brings me back to something I was wondering the other day.  Are City now more dominant than we or United were in our hayday?

--edit-- those that remember those teams, would our teams that missed out on a point get many players into the best teams of the 80s?

City are definitely more dominant, look at the points totals they get ,when united won the treble they got 79 points in the league, we have surpassed that already this season.
It is very hard to compare though because i feel the rest of the league below the top 3 is so bad that teams from back then could well get 100 points now . The likes of middlesbrough used to get relegated with juninho ravanelli and emerson, west ham going down with cole di canio kanoute etc .
Even that doesnt tell the full story though, I feel football was more about individual players then, now its so tactical and much more of a team game that if i compare our players now to then theyll fall badly short, but maybe as a team theyd be able to compete.
I guess football has changed too much that its become impossible to compare different eras.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8092 on: April 30, 2024, 10:54:41 am »
Good points TNB.  I don't know why, as I never see the point in comparing eras.
It was more that the 7 is it now titles, punctuated only by our win. Did we or Man U ever manage runs of titles like that?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline AthleticClub

• Main Stander
« Reply #8093 on: April 30, 2024, 11:07:04 am »

If City want him to replace Guardiola, Arteta will be out of the Emirates quicker than your fans when you fall behind in a title chasing game.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8094 on: April 30, 2024, 11:40:53 am »
It was more that the 7 is it now titles, punctuated only by our win. Did we or Man U ever manage runs of titles like that?

Not since ive been watching football, 90s onwards, United were dominant but never like this, what they did really well was bouncing back when a team beat them to the title , we won 3 and blackburn 1 then chelsea came along. City only had to do that once. I know Liverpool were once very dominant but I imagine there was never a 6 in 7…. And that one title city didnt win was against one of the best teams in europe in the last 10 years, managed by the worlds best manager. Any other era that liverpool would have been the dominant team.

Its what you can do with an oil country’s backing, unlimited funds and no regulation.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8095 on: April 30, 2024, 11:48:32 am »
Its what you can do with an oil country’s backing, unlimited funds and no regulation.

Sadly yes. Though you only have to look at united to see , even with vast amounts of cash, it's not easy.

Be interesting to see if we really can have a salary cap based on lower teams' income. The fact it's even being talked about means the powers that be must know something's very wrong.  Weird that Villa voted against though.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #8096 on: April 30, 2024, 12:01:36 pm »
If City want him to replace Guardiola, Arteta will be out of the Emirates quicker than your fans when you fall behind in a title chasing game.

Again, that would be a good thing for the wider interests of English football. Waking people up to City being a black hole.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8097 on: April 30, 2024, 12:14:57 pm »

If they win this season it’ll be 8. And would have been 7 in a row were it not for us. They won in 2012, downed tools for a season, won in 2014, downed tools for a season, and then had the Leicester season too when Guardiola first took over. Since then they won 6 out of 7.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8098 on: April 30, 2024, 12:50:36 pm »
Sadly yes. Though you only have to look at united to see , even with vast amounts of cash, it's not easy.

Be interesting to see if we really can have a salary cap based on lower teams' income. The fact it's even being talked about means the powers that be must know something's very wrong.  Weird that Villa voted against though.

My take is villa maybe prefer to be limited by ffp then their fans /manager wont be pushing to spend 500m . For 80% of the premier league this new cap idea means they can spend a lot more , but not everyone has the money, and teams could get in trouble trying to compete .
Unless im misinterpreting the whole thing.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8099 on: April 30, 2024, 01:12:25 pm »

This is a troll account, right? Who on here started this account? :lmao
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8100 on: April 30, 2024, 01:13:42 pm »

Keep telling yourself that if it helps you sleep at night. Like his mate Xabi in Leverkusen, he still feels he's got work to do at Arsenal and is on an upwards curve. But I bet you any money, he'll be back at City once his mentor Guardiola has fucked off, probably in 12 months' time.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8101 on: April 30, 2024, 01:55:24 pm »
I dont think Arteta went through all the bad times to walk away when he’s finally developed an excellent team that will have its peak period in the next 4-5 years. This is where he gets rewarded for all his incredible work.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 01:57:41 pm by The North Bank »

Offline Saltashscouse

• Legacy Fan
  • Born and bred to support the Reds
« Reply #8102 on: April 30, 2024, 02:07:09 pm »
1976 to 1986 we won 8 out of 10 which is pretty much on par with what the cheats have achieved and we didn't cheat
Jan Molby once bought me a pint 🍺

Offline AthleticClub

• Main Stander
« Reply #8103 on: April 30, 2024, 02:13:09 pm »
I dont think Arteta went through all the bad times to walk away when he’s finally developed an excellent team that will have its peak period in the next 4-5 years. This is where he gets rewarded for all his incredible work.

There's some mad shouts in this thread. But that's absolutely up there. There's no possible way to say where sides are going to be in that time frame.

Offline MoSzizlak

• Kopite
  • Yum Yum!
« Reply #8104 on: April 30, 2024, 02:18:27 pm »
1976 to 1986 we won 8 out of 10 which is pretty much on par with what the cheats have achieved and we didn't cheat

Thats 8 out of 11

7 out of 9 from 75/76-83/84.

United have the exact same records from the start of the premier league era.

6 out of 7 for the cheats if they win this season , would be 6 on the spin if the null and void crowd had got their way  ::)

For context Arsenal who are a way bigger club than them have 6 titles in the last 70 years.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8105 on: April 30, 2024, 02:44:45 pm »
There's some mad shouts in this thread. But that's absolutely up there. There's no possible way to say where sides are going to be in that time frame.

Im basing it purely on the age/experience of the squad, and the trajectory of those players in the last 4 years.

Offline AthleticClub

• Main Stander
« Reply #8106 on: April 30, 2024, 03:07:51 pm »
Im basing it purely on the age/experience of the squad, and the trajectory of those players in the last 4 years.

That could all go to sh1t in the next three months with an injury crisis. Or Arteta getting poached by City or Barca and his replacement not working out. Or you falling back a little next season and your fans start getting on his back, like most clubs these days they are incredibly fickle.

Arsenal are the best side I've seen at Anfield this season (been to almost all the home games). However you've had absolutely everything go for you this year, which I have no problem with. But it's not really that much of a stretch to see you drop back 9-12 points next year. If that happens, you'll get nowhere near City that's the impossible benchmark that has been set.

I really hope Arsenal win the league. But we've been here before and City will break your spirit.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8107 on: April 30, 2024, 03:28:54 pm »
That could all go to sh1t in the next three months with an injury crisis. Or Arteta getting poached by City or Barca and his replacement not working out. Or you falling back a little next season and your fans start getting on his back, like most clubs these days they are incredibly fickle.

Arsenal are the best side I've seen at Anfield this season (been to almost all the home games). However you've had absolutely everything go for you this year, which I have no problem with. But it's not really that much of a stretch to see you drop back 9-12 points next year. If that happens, you'll get nowhere near City that's the impossible benchmark that has been set.

I really hope Arsenal win the league. But we've been here before and City will break your spirit.

Obviously anything can happen, but from the context of Arteta who has been rebuilding after taking over a shitshow, it would be weird to go when hes finally got the team he wants, at the right age, and is finally getting plaudits for it after years of being called a fraud. Hes in a good place and its not a mad shout to suggest his team will be entering its best phase now.

I could definitely see him becoming the longest serving manager in the league, he must be right up there already. With Klopp going I think its only Pep ahead of him. Managers tend to stay a long time at big clubs, unless they get sacked, and he wont be getting sacked any time soon.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 03:34:53 pm by The North Bank »

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8108 on: April 30, 2024, 03:34:13 pm »
Arsenal’s progress is also dependent on how long the officials let them get away with their cheating and cry-arsing.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8109 on: April 30, 2024, 03:34:55 pm »

There'll be bumps along the road. You can't sustain going toe-to-toe Abu Dhabi for another five years - it simply isn't possible and you'll need to spend hundreds of millions (of legitimate funds) to keep the squad fresh, as you can't do backdoor deals like they do with Haaland. And when you have a wretched season like our 2020-21 or 2022-23, you'll see Lego's loyalty tested.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8110 on: April 30, 2024, 03:36:34 pm »
Arsenal’s progress is also dependent on how long the officials let them get away with their cheating and cry-arsing.

Officials dont give leg breakers against our players (jackson on havertz) so whatever method the players choose to ensure their own safety im down with. Its their career at stake.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8111 on: April 30, 2024, 03:39:16 pm »
There'll be bumps along the road. You can't sustain going toe-to-toe Abu Dhabi for another five years - it simply isn't possible and you'll need to spend hundreds of millions (of legitimate funds) to keep the squad fresh, as you can't do backdoor deals like they do with Haaland. And when you have a wretched season like our 2020-21 or 2022-23, you'll see Lego's loyalty tested.

Totally agree, but it wont be tougher than finishing 8th 2 years running, or 6 seasons in a row below fucking spurs. You finish below the cheats you can be proud of your efforts and thank the team for an incredible job.
My view might change in a few years if we keep missing out, but for now im not looking too much at city just enjoying the tussle at the top rather than in midtable.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8112 on: April 30, 2024, 06:06:56 pm »
Arteta will be Man City's next manager, no question.

He already has the personality and mannerisms of Guardiola.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8113 on: April 30, 2024, 06:15:28 pm »
Arteta will be Man City's next manager, no question.

If Arteta goes id go for Klopp as a replacement. Hes the only one thats capable of replacing him for me… Unless Pep wants to finally try his luck at a big club in england.

Klopp will win everything with us while Arteta struggles to get out of league 2 with city… what a pity.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 06:20:18 pm by The North Bank »

Offline Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8114 on: April 30, 2024, 06:22:51 pm »
lol, you haven't watched his interviews.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8115 on: April 30, 2024, 06:29:50 pm »
lol, you haven't watched his interviews.

Same passive aggressive whiny mannerisms. I see the link.

Online Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #8116 on: April 30, 2024, 09:09:24 pm »
You reckon he will be happy to compete with 115 charges Abu Dhabi FC if they don't get dealt with?

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8117 on: April 30, 2024, 09:19:56 pm »
You reckon he will be happy to compete with 115 charges Abu Dhabi FC if they don't get dealt with?

No, I expect things to get nasty between the 2 clubs over the next couple of years.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8118 on: April 30, 2024, 09:21:22 pm »
Bayern arent bad are they… I got sucked in by the resident experts telling me this is the worst Bayern side ever and we should’ve breezed past them.

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8119 on: April 30, 2024, 09:27:34 pm »
Bayern arent bad are they… I got sucked in by the resident experts telling me this is the worst Bayern side ever and we should’ve breezed past them.
Thankfully the experts were wrong and Bayern gave your lot something to whinge about