Author Topic: Scottish politics [brought to you in association with Walkers shortbread]  (Read 30925 times)

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'd have thought you would be happy to see oil slicks being covered?  ;)

;D

Online Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
That's Sturgeon arrested now.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
It can’t be that hard to figure out where the money was moved to and who by?
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Interesting. The report says Sturgeon is being interviewed "as a suspect", but also says this about her husband:

Her husband, Peter Murrell, the former chief executive of the SNP, was arrested at their home in Uddingston near Glasgow on 5 April after plainclothes officers arrived without warning. He was interviewed under caution for nearly 12 hours before being released without charge.

Of course, being arrested isn't the same as being charged, but it doesn't look good either. Could be they have both been duped. On the other hand, perhaps Murrell was genuinely ignorant of what his wife was up to. That, or he's been able to throw her under the luxury motorhome.

Not going to be a good look for the SNP going into the next election.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Have they called it a WITCH HUNT! Yet?
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
And now 'released without charge, pending further investigation’.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23582064.nicola-sturgeon-relased-without-charge-questioning-police/

Same as for Murrell and Beattie, doesn't really mean anything as of now, though she seems to have been questioned for much less time then those 2.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
Same as for Murrell and Beattie, doesn't really mean anything as of now, though she seems to have been questioned for much less time then those 2.

Fishing for evidence. They must have something other than just suspicion because it smells bad.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Fishing for evidence. They must have something other than just suspicion because it smells bad.

They do, it's the worlds smallest campaign bus, a bus that they forgot all about until it was found at her inlaws house  ;D
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Elisha S

• talkin' 'bout my g-g-generation...
  • Anny Roader
Sturgeon arrested while Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson walks free. Something rotten in the UK.

Online BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
Is the multi-billion Tory PPE swindle even being investigated?

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
It is strange, the selective investigations.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
Sturgeon arrested while Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson walks free. Something rotten in the UK.

Sturgeon didn't go to Eton, isn't a Tory or related to European royalty.

Online Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
My company installed the new kitchens at the brand new woman's prison at Cornton Vale a couple of months ago. Just found out this morning the prison is going live this week. Coincidence, I think not.

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
My company installed the new kitchens at the brand new woman's prison at Cornton Vale a couple of months ago. Just found out this morning the prison is going live this week. Coincidence, I think not.
This reads like it is less of a prison and more of a dystopian "re-education and training centre"  :-X
Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
Mhairi Black on “Pod Save the UK” this week. As impressive as ever, she’ll be missed.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Tories accused of 'outrageous power grab' over new eco law 'that sidelines Scotland'

The SNP Government said it is in 'urgent talks' with UK counterparts after new legislation appears to favour Wales and Northern Ireland over Scotland.

Tory ministers have been accused of an “outrageous power grab” as an explosive row broke out over new environmental rules imposed by Westminster. The Holyrood government said it was in “urgent talks” with UK counterparts after it emerged Wales and Northern Ireland could get more say over eco laws than Scotland.

The move will bolster fears that Rishi Sunak’s government wants to use Brexit to rip up environmental safeguards as well as attack devolution. Leading green charities warned the changes, passed as amendments last week in the UK’s Levelling Up and Regeneration Bill, could place Holyrood “at the bottom” of a “two-tier system” - behind Cardiff and Belfast.

The new legislation will allow Conservative ministers to make their own environmental regulations even in devolved policy areas, or rewrite Holyrood’s. However, they will need to “obtain the consent of” ministers in Wales and Northern Ireland for any changes - while they only need to “consult” Scottish chiefs, according to the wording of the law.

Scottish Green MSP Ross Greer blasted: “To see Westminster now taking aim at Scotland's environment should send shivers down the spine of anyone who cares about our world famous landscapes, iconic wildlife, the cleanliness of the air we breathe, or our climate. Any party that claims to care about Scottish democracy and nature must oppose this outrageous power grab.”

A spokesman for the Scottish Government said: “We are deeply concerned about this Bill, which seeks to treat Scotland less favourably than Wales and Northern Ireland. We are in urgent talks with the UK Government to resolve this situation.”

Post-Brexit laws allowing Westminster to meddle in devolved areas has already seen the UK Government block the SNP-Green administration’s plan for a Scottish deposit return scheme. Scottish Environment LINK, a coalition of green charities, has previously spoken out about their fears so-called “Henry VIII” powers could be used by Westminster to ride roughshod over devolved laws.

The group’s chief officer Deborah Long told the Record: “This is a surprising development. It’s not clear why Scotland should be treated differently when it comes to environmental law than Wales or Northern Ireland.

“Environmental organisations had already raised concerns that this Bill would allow the UK Government to tear up environmental regulations, even in devolved areas, without the consent of the devolved governments. They now appear to be proposing that Welsh and Northern Irish Ministers should get a say, but not the Scottish Government.”

It comes after Tory ministers also stepped in to block the SNP-Green government’s controversial gender reforms. Green MSP Greer added: “Tory attacks on Scottish democracy, often aided by Starmer's Labour, are becoming increasingly dangerous.

“Since Brexit they have passed new laws allowing them to veto decisions made by Scotland's elected Parliament in a way that would not have been possible just a few short years ago.”

The UK Government referred the Record back to comments made by Earl Howe in the House of Lords, blaming the Nats government for the discrepancy in the law by not cooperating with them.

The Tory peer said: “It is absolutely vital for the UK Government to preserve, in limited circumstances, the ability to legislate UK-wide... Unfortunately, the Scottish Government currently do not wish to support the necessary legislative framework for this to function.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/tories-accused-outrageous-power-grab-30543241

It's there in black and white now, the Tories being vindictive and singling out the Scottish Government with its power grabs.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Tories accused of 'outrageous power grab' over new eco law 'that sidelines Scotland'

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/tories-accused-outrageous-power-grab-30543241

It's there in black and white now, the Tories being vindictive and singling out the Scottish Government with its power grabs.

Amazes me how any Scottish person can vote Tory.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Amazes me how any Scottish person can vote Tory.

FTFY

I'm waiting for Labour's rigourous opposition of course, much like the Tories blocking of GRR and DRS.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
They'll be a by-election in Rutherglen and Hamilton West as the recall petition passed the 10% threshold.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-66376464
#Sausages

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
No surprise there. Suspect Labour will pick that seat up fairly comfortably.

Offline ChrisLFCKOP

• Legacy Fan
They'll be a by-election in Rutherglen and Hamilton West as the recall petition passed the 10% threshold.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-66376464

Interesting, didn't realise this was a thing... Quite a few other MPs broke lockdown rules... ;)

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Interesting, didn't realise this was a thing... Quite a few other MPs broke lockdown rules... ;)

None quite so blatantly and irresponsibly though.... apart from Johnson.

Offline ChrisLFCKOP

• Legacy Fan
None quite so blatantly and irresponsibly though.... apart from Johnson.

no but if you put it with the other stuff they have done it soon adds up.  Anyone else would have lost their jobs by now.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Scottish politics [brought to you in association with Walkers shortbread]
« Reply #425 on: October 12, 2023, 12:22:51 pm »
Lisa Cameron has defected from the SNP to the Tories. How bad does your party have to be that the Tories are a better option for you?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/oct/12/snp-mp-lisa-cameron-defects-tory-party-toxic-bullying-treatment

EDIT: I see it's already covered in the Tory thread, but as it's the SNP I'll leave this in here as well.

Popcorn's Art

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: October 12, 2023, 12:55:16 pm »
Perhaps the answer is “not bad enough” for the individuals liking.

Obviously all the union flag waving at the Labour conference wasn’t enough to sway her. It’ll have been a massive turn off to a large proportion of the Scottish electorate though.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 12:56:47 pm by KillieRed »

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #427 on: October 12, 2023, 06:58:44 pm »
https://x.com/politicoforyou/status/1712408519561887965?s=46

Talk of a mass defection to the Tories.

I’m flabbergasted, I really am.

In my mind the Tory party was the antithesis of everything that the SNP stood for
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #428 on: October 12, 2023, 07:16:46 pm »

In my mind the Tory party was the antithesis of everything that the SNP stood for

Imagine hating trans people so much that you prefer to join the Conservative and Unionist Party that is the literal antithesis of everything you purported to stand for. Bigotry rots the brain.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #429 on: October 12, 2023, 07:21:22 pm »
Imagine hating trans people so much that you prefer to join the Conservative and Unionist Party that is the literal antithesis of everything you purported to stand for. Bigotry rots the brain.

It's mad isn't it? These people just seem so obsessed with the issue. Can only think there is some deep lying insecurity behind it.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: October 12, 2023, 08:08:17 pm »
The trans thing is like a brain worm that consumes you to the point nothing else matters. Look at Graham Linehan.

Good on Yousaf for holding firm on it.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: October 12, 2023, 08:32:11 pm »

Good riddance to bad rubbish. The SNP only got into power because they took Labours abandoned left flank.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: October 12, 2023, 08:34:45 pm »
Cherry should have been kicked out ages ago, a real stain on Sturgeons legacy that after saying there would be zero tolerance on transphobia, she did nothing about her.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #433 on: October 12, 2023, 09:31:36 pm »
Yeah, it’s utterly bonkers

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: October 12, 2023, 10:23:22 pm »
A mass SNP defection to the Tories will not do their GE chances any favours. It will likely prop the Tories up for another 12 months too. Could reduce the prospect of an early election.

Popcorn's Art

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: October 12, 2023, 10:40:04 pm »
A mass SNP defection to the Tories will not do their GE chances any favours. It will likely prop the Tories up for another 12 months too. Could reduce the prospect of an early election.

A "mass defection" is in reality going to be a few MPs at most. It's not going to make any difference to UK parliament in terms of propping up the Tories.

I'm actually struggling to think of any more "gender critical" MPs in the SNP group in Westminster apart from Cameron and Cherry. There are a few more MSPs.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 10:42:08 pm by Elmo! »

Offline ChrisLFCKOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: October 13, 2023, 04:40:47 am »

It doesn't surprise me....its just backs up a long list of things people been saying about the anti-trans people.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #437 on: October 13, 2023, 07:38:52 am »
The trans thing is like a brain worm that consumes you to the point nothing else matters. Look at Graham Linehan.

It's just so weird. I don't want to sound like I'm trivialising something that is of course of huge importance to the small group of people living the experience, but in terms of overall political impact it should be a fairly minor issue, and yet for some opponents it becomes this all-important cause to latch onto. You hear it immediately mentioned when Trump supporters are interviewed at rallies (usually in such insightful terms as "all that trans stuff"). And I remember a recent thread on here in which Iska was challenged about the problems today's liberal societies have and the only answer was "trans women in womens prisons" (that Scottish case was quite recent I believe).

Is some of it just this?

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #438 on: October 13, 2023, 09:30:23 am »

Good on Yousaf for holding firm on it.

This is very true. It's happened to the female members of my family. They will tie literally anything back into the trans issue (climate change, education). Nearly every single politician is judged almost exclusively on their stance to the trans issue. It's absolutely bizzare.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: October 13, 2023, 09:30:57 am »
The whole culture war , which some people happily fold trans rights into, is just a massive red herring. It’s used by people, and especially politicians, because they have no actual positive policies to fix things or make life better for their constituents. They have no answers, so it’s the old fall back of “let’s spread fear” to energise our base approach.