Author Topic: The NFL Thread  (Read 2804892 times)

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
Re: The NFL Thread
« Reply #61680 on: October 22, 2021, 03:55:42 pm »
Kinell, unlucky mate.

And sorry about the Covid too.

I`m joking, but i hope its not too bad for you.

Ha yeah just bit of a sore throat and bit tired (so usual after long day of drinking!) no sustained cough or loss taste etc. Only worried about the little fella in the house here now.

Also adds a slight complication to flying to meet my brother in NY in 4 weeks.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Online jedimaster

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #61681 on: October 22, 2021, 07:43:04 pm »
It is kind of fitting how whenever I see WFT in the news I immediately read it as WTF  ;)
We do beg your pardon, but we are in your garden

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #61682 on: October 22, 2021, 07:49:59 pm »
It is kind of fitting how whenever I see WFT in the news I immediately read it as WTF  ;)

Maybe they should rename themselves to the Washington Flamethrowers?  :D

That's WFT for ya!
Linudden.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #61683 on: October 22, 2021, 09:24:01 pm »
So yeah...New Orleans Saints safety Malcolm Jenkins invests in Premier League's Burnley

Three-time Pro Bowl safety Malcolm Jenkins spent his bye week building his portfolio.

Jenkins, a two-time Super Bowl champion with the New Orleans Saints and Philadelphia Eagles, became a minority investor in the Premier League's Burnley Football Club this week after touring historic Turf Moor stadium in England and watching the Clarets play Manchester City on Saturday.

"Burnley Football Club has a long history of being a blue-collar, tough, well-run organization, and it has a great manager and a new leadership," Jenkins said on the AP Pro Football Podcast. "And [Burnley chairman] Alan Pace is coming in and ALK Capital, and they are really conscious about not only just what's happening on the pitch, but also what's happening in society. Their team captains have been very vocal, their players taking a knee before every match, and they've made it a point to be inclusive.

"And to have the opportunity to join a club with that kind of history, that kind of pedigree, was something that was exciting for me and my team."

Jenkins joins Patrick Mahomes, LeBron James and Kevin Durant as active players who have invested in soccer teams.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #61684 on: October 22, 2021, 09:27:04 pm »
Big bnp vote there wasn't there?

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61685 on: October 24, 2021, 10:35:20 pm »
Arizona are starting to look like the real deal, aren’t they?

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #61686 on: October 24, 2021, 10:40:33 pm »

they have been for a couple of weeks. to though be fair this week they're only playing the texans.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61687 on: October 24, 2021, 11:09:47 pm »
They destroyed Rams and Browns

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #61688 on: October 25, 2021, 01:17:52 am »
Some crazy weather in Sants Clara for the  niners game. ;D
#Sausages

Offline kj999

• 180 + 90 = ...............er..............hang on................ oh yeah 180........ :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
« Reply #61689 on: October 25, 2021, 01:23:22 am »
Bengals actually look decent...
Clarity of Thought before Rashness of Action...

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61690 on: October 25, 2021, 03:41:13 am »
Some crazy weather in Sants Clara for the  niners game. ;D
California normally in a draught too

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #61691 on: October 25, 2021, 08:20:35 am »
everyone predicted the bengals, raiders and cardinals would be leading their divisions as this point, right?

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61692 on: October 25, 2021, 08:54:18 am »
Lots of surprises so far isn't there? Cardinals and Bucs both looking very, very good mind.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #61693 on: October 25, 2021, 10:05:05 am »
Cardinals started really slowly last night, had the safety, conceded a field goal and generally seemed to be struggling to break down the Houstons' defence. Then... all of a sudden they didn't and all resistance just stopped.

Chiefs worrying me massively, dire, got completely ran over.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #61694 on: October 25, 2021, 11:14:16 pm »
Eagles trade Joe Flacco to Jets.

so the jets are giving up a (low) draft pick for someone they let go and who is past it anyway.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61695 on: October 25, 2021, 11:15:13 pm »
Eagles trade Joe Flacco to Jets.

so the jets are giving up a (low) draft pick for someone they let go and who is past it anyway.
They need a vet fill in. 6th round pick dont matter

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #61696 on: October 25, 2021, 11:17:50 pm »
They need a vet fill in. 6th round pick dont matter

it's still giving up a draft pick for someone they had and let go. which is fucking stupid.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #61697 on: October 25, 2021, 11:40:40 pm »

Online skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61698 on: October 25, 2021, 11:42:39 pm »
It's not the worst move in a one-off, but it is stupid in context.  Flacco has said he doesn't care about mentoring young QBs before.  Joe Douglas also used a 4th rounder two years ago on James Morgan (who's already off the team I think), didn't bring in any vet backup this summer, and is now using another draft pick on Joe Flacco, a veteran that was on the team last year and isn't interested in mentoring young QBs.

Douglas can't be blamed for the injuries on defense, nor can we be that impatient with a rookie HC, rookie OC, rookie QB, etc, but Douglas' handling of the support around Wilson hasn't been good.
King Kenny.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61699 on: October 26, 2021, 02:14:58 am »
it's still giving up a draft pick for someone they had and let go. which is fucking stupid.
Fair but there very little value in those picks or they can trade for another one.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #61700 on: October 26, 2021, 11:24:41 am »

Yep. You can say "oh 6th round picks don't matter" but I think it's one decision that when combined with all the other bad decisions they make paints a clear picture of how the Jets are just an objectively poorly run franchise.

Leaving themselves without a veteran QB and then drafting a guy who clearly needs a year or two is bad process. Drafting a guy 2nd overall who nobody had pegged as a high 1st round draft pick. More bad process. Now they're trading for a veteran QB who they already had and who doesn't want to mentor when the season is already lost. More bad process.

They're never going to get out of this hole they're in if they continue to make bad decision after bad decision.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61701 on: October 26, 2021, 03:17:42 pm »
Yep. You can say "oh 6th round picks don't matter" but I think it's one decision that when combined with all the other bad decisions they make paints a clear picture of how the Jets are just an objectively poorly run franchise.

Leaving themselves without a veteran QB and then drafting a guy who clearly needs a year or two is bad process. Drafting a guy 2nd overall who nobody had pegged as a high 1st round draft pick. More bad process. Now they're trading for a veteran QB who they already had and who doesn't want to mentor when the season is already lost. More bad process.

They're never going to get out of this hole they're in if they continue to make bad decision after bad decision.
Most people had Zach Wilson going number 2 overall and some even had him going 1. He definitely was pegged as a first round pick.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #61702 on: October 26, 2021, 05:26:02 pm »
Most people had Zach Wilson going number 2 overall and some even had him going 1. He definitely was pegged as a first round pick.

Indeed, it's not Zach Wilson's fault he was drafted into a team that's long been clusterfuck of a franchise, as you say most had Wilson going at 2, but the team is the problem which has long stunk out the NFL.

#Sausages

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #61703 on: October 26, 2021, 05:26:29 pm »

That's true.

But this year there's multiple examples of promising young Rd1 quarterbacks being hung out to dry by being picked too early (as in playing in NFL and not draft position) for less than average teams.

Delicate balance between a young QB getting experience and learning on the job, versus putting him in a situation where's impossible for them to win. I think Wilson is in the latter scenario. Mac Jones, Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields are probably somewhere between the 2 scenarios. They are getting a valuable NFL experience and their respective teams aren't absolutely terrible - though at times I think all 3 have been put in very tough situations during the 1st 7 weeks of the season.

I still think Trey Lance is arguably in the best position. Despite playing for a 2-4 team, he still get some protection from the best LT in the business and he has a decent veteran presence to lean on. I'm not sure if Lance ends up the best NFL QB out of those 1st Round picks but he's arguably in the most development friendly position at the moment.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61704 on: October 26, 2021, 07:11:24 pm »
Great points Jookie.

Is Zach Wilson a top 5 overall talent and the top 2 QB of 2021?  Absolutely.  But was he ready given the team?  I have my doubts.

The Jets have been the worst drafting team of the past decade.  Since Joe Douglas has been onboard, things are a little better.  On paper, it looks like it should actually work:
-Jets hired Saleh, who's been one of the highest-rated HC candidates that last two cycles
-Some solid draft picks the last two years
-Brought in an actually good set of receivers (Davis, Mims, Crowder, Moore, and Cole is a good set)
-Defense has potential but a lot of injuries (not really anyone's fault)
-Two first-round picks and two second-round picks next year

It looks great!  Jets are making progress!

Except.....

The problem is that it's a rookie QB, rookie HC, and rookie OC.  An experienced QB coach that was brought in, Greg Knapp, tragically passed away in the summer.  The Jets inexplicably didn't bring in a veteran in the summer.

Wilson has all the traits of a gunslinger coming out of college.  And that's fine.  They'll have to deal with:
-Speed of the NFL (see Broncos' Simmons INT against Wilson)
-Skill of the defenders (see Jackson's INT against Wilson)
-Decision-making

Some learn by playing, and some learn by sitting.  But Wilson's talent is in his ability to make the big throws.  You don't draft someone like him to throw short passes all game.  However, you have to balance it.  In the end, the best NFL QBs learn when to take their shots and when to play it safe.  The best QBs tend to be the most accurate on short/intermediate throws (timing-based) rather than the deep balls (if you identify 1-on-1s, you don't have to make the perfect throw, just enough to give your WR a chance).  The timing on the shorter throws is how you move the chains.  The ability to take what the defense gives and ability to throw the ball away to avoid sacks/grounding is how you keep things moving.  Just about every Wilson highlight has been him being on the move and throwing on the run with off-platform throws.  But at the same time, he's been inaccurate on short passes in the pocket and even screens (those are drive-killers).

Whether or not he sits or plays, the coaching staff and QB room have to work with him on these things.  How things play out the remainder of this year (when he's back healthy) will be very interesting indeed.

In the end, Joe Douglas, Robert Saleh, and the rest will be judged on how they develop Wilson.

Douglas hit on Becton last year.  He hit on Vera-Tucker this year.  Moore is good value.  Hall is good value.  Carter (both of them) is good value.  The Jets are actually incredibly lucky:  they got a top 3 pick in a loaded QB class (with another first rounder in there) and will have 4 picks in the first two rounds next year when they don't need QB and have needs at places like guard, TE, LB, Safety, etc.  It actually won't be difficult to be in position to continue to build talent.  They should have decent cap space next year also.

Honestly probably best for Wilson to sit a few weeks with the injury and see if the coaching staff can improve.  Give a few more games for the HC to work with the OL, WRs, etc to get going before getting Wilson back in there.

Douglas, Saleh, etc.  No matter how many league insiders talk up these guys, all of it is for nothing if Wilson doesn't develop. 
King Kenny.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61705 on: October 26, 2021, 07:14:42 pm »

I didn't see anyone have him down as the 2nd best player in the class. All mock drafts had him at two cos the Jets made it known early he was their guy. I doubt any other teams would have picked him that high given he came from a small school and had never played against even a solid college defence.

Online skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61706 on: October 26, 2021, 07:36:49 pm »
I didn't see anyone have him down as the 2nd best player in the class. All mock drafts had him at two cos the Jets made it known early he was their guy. I doubt any other teams would have picked him that high given he came from a small school and had never played against even a solid college defence.

He wasn't the 2nd best player in the class (guys like Sewell or Pitts were considered generational), but he was right up there.  It has nothing to do with mock drafts, but rankings, even before the Jets traded Darnold or even hired a coach.

CBS draft analysts had Wilson at #6 in December 2020
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-trevor-lawrence-retains-top-spot-zach-wilson-shoots-up-the-board/

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah had Wilson at #4 in January 2021
https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-50-2021-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-1-0

PFF had Wilson at #2 in February 2021
https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-pff-top-100-big-board

Here's some more hype for Wilson in December 2020
https://thespun.com/independents/byu/nfl-draft-2021-quarterbacks-zach-wilson-byu-trevor-lawrence-justin-fields-trey-lance

And these are rankings, not mock drafts.  The Jets didn't hire Saleh until January and didn't trade Darnold until April.

Wilson was flying up the rankings throughout the year since he was under the radar at the start of the season.  The Jets didn't make it known they were taking him until much later.  He wasn't some low-rated prospect that went up the draft boards because the Jets were linked with him.  The Niners were pushing pretty hard for him also.
King Kenny.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #61707 on: October 26, 2021, 10:50:28 pm »
Chris Simms was really high on him too, thought he was the best QB in the draft and he's been very good over the past few years in his rankings.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61708 on: October 27, 2021, 08:14:00 am »
He wasn't the 2nd best player in the class (guys like Sewell or Pitts were considered generational), but he was right up there.  It has nothing to do with mock drafts, but rankings, even before the Jets traded Darnold or even hired a coach.

CBS draft analysts had Wilson at #6 in December 2020
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-trevor-lawrence-retains-top-spot-zach-wilson-shoots-up-the-board/

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah had Wilson at #4 in January 2021
https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-50-2021-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-1-0

PFF had Wilson at #2 in February 2021
https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-pff-top-100-big-board

Here's some more hype for Wilson in December 2020
https://thespun.com/independents/byu/nfl-draft-2021-quarterbacks-zach-wilson-byu-trevor-lawrence-justin-fields-trey-lance

And these are rankings, not mock drafts.  The Jets didn't hire Saleh until January and didn't trade Darnold until April.

Wilson was flying up the rankings throughout the year since he was under the radar at the start of the season.  The Jets didn't make it known they were taking him until much later.  He wasn't some low-rated prospect that went up the draft boards because the Jets were linked with him.  The Niners were pushing pretty hard for him also.

Thanks for the list of people who had him ranked that high. Now I know who to ignore and black list for future drafts, cos them and the Jets have got it horrendously wrong. ;D

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61709 on: October 27, 2021, 11:58:25 am »
Jets fan here. Douglas has us on the right path. He's drafted well overall, Wilson will have his hiccups and you can't say he's worse than Darnold right now. Our team is just depleted from years of ineptitude with drafts/recruiting/contracts etc, and this season snake-bitten with injuries. We will have another massive infusion of talent the next draft given the picks we have, and that draft fits our needs (FYI, Wilson and a few other QBs in the 2021 draft are head and shoulders above anyone playing the QB position from the 2022 class).

I'm optimistic for the Jets for the first time actually in decades despite recent poor returns.
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #61710 on: October 27, 2021, 12:01:15 pm »
Thanks for the list of people who had him ranked that high. Now I know who to ignore and black list for future drafts, cos them and the Jets have got it horrendously wrong. ;D

The draft is largely guesswork anyway. Besides, you judge the success or not of a draft after a couple of years, not a couple of months.

Unless the drafted player gets cut or something obviously!

Online skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61711 on: October 27, 2021, 01:17:52 pm »

What point are you making?  It’s been like 6 games.   :D

Here’s a task for you: instead of dismissing it, how about you find a series of links that don’t have Wilson high? Go find your experts that had him as a late first-rounder.  Or are you saying every talent evaluator is wrong?  Even if he’s a bust, it doesn’t mean the draft position is wrong or the talent evaluation is wrong. There are a whole lot of other factors.

If the Jets passed on him at 2, the Niners would’ve taken him at 3 (if not traded up to 2 themselves).  If the Jets kept Darnold, Carolina would’ve taken him.

Like I don’t get your evaluation of him. He’s talented but in a bad situation. Should the Jets have drafted Lance, Fields, or Jones?  Or just ignore QB and wait until this weak class this year?

Love the confidence though. Six games in:  well he’s not worthy of the pick!   ;D

At least you’re willing to put forth an opinion.  Fair play.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 01:23:03 pm by skipper757 »
King Kenny.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61712 on: October 27, 2021, 01:38:30 pm »
What point are you making?  It’s been like 6 games.   :D

Here’s a task for you: instead of dismissing it, how about you find a series of links that don’t have Wilson high? Go find your experts that had him as a late first-rounder.  Or are you saying every talent evaluator is wrong?  Even if he’s a bust, it doesn’t mean the draft position is wrong or the talent evaluation is wrong. There are a whole lot of other factors.

If the Jets passed on him at 2, the Niners would’ve taken him at 3 (if not traded up to 2 themselves).  If the Jets kept Darnold, Carolina would’ve taken him.

Like I don’t get your evaluation of him. He’s talented but in a bad situation. Should the Jets have drafted Lance, Fields, or Jones?  Or just ignore QB and wait until this weak class this year?

Love the confidence though. Six games in:  well he’s not worthy of the pick!   ;D

At least you’re willing to put forth an opinion.  Fair play.

Of course it's only 6 games, but it's been 6 very bad games and how many more before they're abandoning him and moving onto the next thing? And why not wait on QB? They're nowhere near being in a position to compete and take advantage of a rookie contract QB. They could have done multiple other things, taken other pieces, traded down but no, Wilson just had to be the guy, just like previous underwhelming college QB Darnold had to be the guy 3 years ago.

I'm not sure I agree that other teams would have taken him that high, maybe the 49ers but their own guy a pick later is also looking like a bad choice too.

I guess I'm not just criticising the Jets but alot of NFL teams who lust after QBs to the point of over drafting/over paying wildly. I get it cos if that guy hits then that's your QB boxed off for years to come but certain teams keep going after the wrong guys over and over and the Jets are one of the worst for it.

Online skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61713 on: October 27, 2021, 01:55:12 pm »
Of course it's only 6 games, but it's been 6 very bad games and how many more before they're abandoning him and moving onto the next thing? And why not wait on QB? They're nowhere near being in a position to compete and take advantage of a rookie contract QB. They could have done multiple other things, taken other pieces, traded down but no, Wilson just had to be the guy, just like previous underwhelming college QB Darnold had to be the guy 3 years ago.

I'm not sure I agree that other teams would have taken him that high, maybe the 49ers but their own guy a pick later is also looking like a bad choice too.

I guess I'm not just criticising the Jets but alot of NFL teams who lust after QBs to the point of over drafting/over paying wildly. I get it cos if that guy hits then that's your QB boxed off for years to come but certain teams keep going after the wrong guys over and over and the Jets are one of the worst for it.

Oh I agree that teams chase QBs a lot.  Don't get me wrong.  You bring up good points (I don't want to be dismissive or anything).

And I agree that the Jets could've been working on other pieces of the team.

The only issue is:  if you pass on a franchise QB, you better be sure you have options ready.  In the end, the Jets can't re-sign all their pieces.  It always comes down to the QB.  If the GM and coaching staff feel that he's the guy, you have to pick him and then trust the team to develop him.  That's the part I have concerns with since it's a rookie coach and a rookie OC.  Darnold was the previous example, but he was part of a different group (GM, coaching staff, etc).

In the end, the GM and coaches agreed that they'd use free agency and other high picks to support Wilson.  A LT, 2 WRs, and a LG have been the picks the last two years in the first two rounds (besides Wilson).  That's in stark contrast to what Darnold got.  It still doesn't mean that the coaching staff can get Wilson up to snuff, but he's talented, and the Jets want a reset at QB.

I guess in some ways I'm defending Wilson's talent and rather questioning the Jets organization's ability to develop him.  :D  Which is why I do think other teams would've taken him also (if their staffs feel confident about developing him, which I think most would).

Jets fan here. Douglas has us on the right path. He's drafted well overall, Wilson will have his hiccups and you can't say he's worse than Darnold right now. Our team is just depleted from years of ineptitude with drafts/recruiting/contracts etc, and this season snake-bitten with injuries. We will have another massive infusion of talent the next draft given the picks we have, and that draft fits our needs (FYI, Wilson and a few other QBs in the 2021 draft are head and shoulders above anyone playing the QB position from the 2022 class).

I'm optimistic for the Jets for the first time actually in decades despite recent poor returns.

The organization has the right process, but the results aren't showing, and I do wonder how long the current staff will have.  Douglas and Saleh were lauded as good hires (doesn't mean that much but a better sight than hiring Gase).  The drafting's decent (but that's a low bar to compare to the 2010s).  The injuries are unfortunate, so not going to say much there.

The question is just the sheer amount of learning on the job everyone has to do (from Saleh down to Wilson) and how to get it all right.  I'd assume next year is the year.  At that point, Douglas would've made 5 first round picks and 4 second round picks (assuming no trades), signed a host of free agents (thanks to the cap space he helped create), gotten a chance to hire his own coaching staff, and drafted his franchise QB.  If 2022 is anything like this year, there's going to be a lot of discontent.  Hooray.
King Kenny.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #61714 on: October 27, 2021, 02:35:56 pm »
I'd assume next year is the year.  At that point, Douglas would've made 5 first round picks and 4 second round picks (assuming no trades), signed a host of free agents (thanks to the cap space he helped create), gotten a chance to hire his own coaching staff, and drafted his franchise QB. 

Agree with this. The Jets need to give Wilson, Salah, etc.. more than 6 or 7 games.

Unless it gets considerably worse then  I think you've got to stick with the current setup until you are out of contention in 2022 at the earliest. The re-build is so big and the main people in the organisation are so inexperienced that they need to give them a couple of off-seasons to improve. They need to show some sort of upward trajectory though. That might not be getting to the playoffs in 2022. But it might be getting 2-4 wins in 2021 and improving that to 6-9 wins in 2022. I think if the Jets do that then they'll keep their GM, HC etc.. in place for 2023.

There does come a Q about how long do you give a rookie HC and rookie GM. Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch are generally viewed as doing a good rebuild job at a 49ers team that had hit rock bottom in the years following John Harbaugh. The roster had very little quality and that was reflected in their win record over the previous 2-3 seasons. But since Shanahan and Lynch have been in charge here's the 49ers record:

2017   6-10
2018   4-12
2019   13-3
2020   6-10
2021   2-4

Overall 31-39 (regular season)

The 49ers are on course for their 4th losing season out of 5 under Shanahan and Lynch. I think the roster is pretty good and nothing like what they inherited in 2017. But the season by season record is pretty poor beyond the Super Bowl run in 2019. There's been mitigating reasons with Jimmy G's injury in 2018 and a whole raft of injuries to major players in 2020.

Whilst I think the Jets should persevere with their current set up, it'll probably be easier to make a call if it's not working. I'm not sure a team like the 49ers can do that so easily. They have the promise of 2019. They have the drafting of Kittle, Warner, Greenlaw, Samuel, Bosa as great picks. On the flip side they've whiffed on Foster, Thomas, Pettis, McGlinchey (arguably) in the 1st 2 rounds. The jury is still out on Kinlaw, Ayuik, Lance and Banks (who i don't think has played a snap yet). They have the 31-39 record that suggest they aren't that great despite Shanahan's coaching and the strength of the roster on paper.

I personally don't think either Shanahan or Lynch should be under massive pressure currently. But their record, when viewed in black and white terms isn't great after 4 and a bit seasons. Think the remaining 9 games in this season are massive. If they are out of contention with 5- 6 games to spare then I think they need some serious reconsideration of where they are at -  i.e. they are far from being a Super Bowl contender. That may need to result in a re-build around Trey Lance. That may need draft capital. I see a scenario where next off season they may look to trade one of their big hitters (Kittle, Warner, Bosa) and/or cut some prominent players (Ford, Garapollo) to create draft capital and/or cap space.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #61715 on: October 27, 2021, 03:12:35 pm »
Agree with this. The Jets need to give Wilson, Salah, etc.. more than 6 or 7 games.

Great signing, i see him as an Edelman (hopefully without the `roids) / Hunter Renfrow type. Small, but elusive.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Online skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61716 on: October 27, 2021, 10:17:54 pm »
Goodell isn't releasing WFT investigation findings.  Said Snyder has been held accountable.

This despite pressure from a variety of people, including former employees (and maybe even Congress).  Mark Davis wants a copy too.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32488418/attorneys-former-washington-football-team-employees-reject-nfl-stance-say-clients-want-investigation-findings-released

Meanwhile, Stan Kroenke may be backing away from footing the legal fees stemming from the Rams move to LA.  All the owners incurred expenses as a part of this move.  St. Louis relocation lawsuit set of January 2022, which NFL lawyers have been trying to move away from St. Louis.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32486646/los-angeles-rams-owner-stan-kroenke-angers-nfl-owners-financial-pivot-related-lawsuit-st-louis-move-sources-say

Ah, the sound of billionaire owners moving around their playthings for fun, hiring lawyer after lawyer to try to make things go away, Goodell selling out his integrity to cover for the "league" (AKA the billionaires), and billionaires turning on each other for fees and lawsuits.

A true sport for the people...
King Kenny.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #61717 on: October 28, 2021, 01:20:14 am »
Apparently...
The Dolphins and Texans have reportedly agreed to terms on a trade for QB Deshaun Watson, but the Dolphins want clarity on his legal issues before going through with it

Not much detail behind the info at the moment, sounds fairly generic, but who knows?

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61718 on: October 28, 2021, 01:53:56 am »
Apparently...
Not much detail behind the info at the moment, sounds fairly generic, but who knows?
He not moving till they know more and when he can play. I doubt he moves till offseason at the earliest. He not playing this year

Online jedimaster

• Kopite
« Reply #61719 on: October 28, 2021, 01:50:55 pm »
JJ Watt out for the season with a shoulder injury sustained against his former team the Texans. Shame, he deserved a run at the Superbowl.
We do beg your pardon, but we are in your garden