Author Topic: Those chants  (Read 185834 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Those chants
« Reply #1960 on: March 21, 2024, 06:56:39 pm »
People need to stop with the 'hate'. How on earth can one allow themselves to hate? You will carry that burden of hate around within yourself and it will infect you and infest you. It is a game of football, yes I know Bill said otherwise, but it was a tongue in cheek comment. Life is more important. All life. No exception.

Hate is powerful, it drives people to be their worst. Be your best instead, even if it isnt as good as it could be. Strive to be better than a hateful person.

Can we also please stop with the insults. If you have an argument, make it. If not, then simply calling someone a bellend or other invalidates you and your comment. It is unnecessary. I am leaving myself open to an insult, I know. But this is a serious matter. The discussion should reflect that. Call me a bellend in The Pub. I'll probably agree with you. But not here. Respect Hillsborough, Munich and all other fans/players who lost their lives unnecessarily.

Edit: pretend hate for the fun of it is fine. I pretend hate all our competitors, but the hate is for fun it isnt real. If your hate is real...

The Mancs have an irrational, pathetic hatred of LFC and Scousers and they pass it from generation to generation and until they grow the fuck up, it'll never stop.

I went the game a few times with a group of fellas and women from Switzerland, friends of a friend. We were in a pub in town and they we're telling me they been to Glasgow to watch a game and then they'd been to Manchester to see Old Trafford. They'd then gone in a local pub for a bevvy (they liked their ale these lads). Anyway, after getting served, they were chatting to the barmaid, all jovial until they mentioned they were Liverpool fans. She turned, grabbed their drinks and told them to "fuck off out of this pub now". They were gobsmacked and went to argue back - her response was to threaten to shout to the fellas in the pub that they were Scousers and they'd get the fucking shit kicked out of them - if got a few stories about our kids pub in Manc, they're so bitter and twisted, that's the kind of hatred they have for us.

Mancs on a nightout in Liverpool, so long as they aren't twats, won't get any bother.
Jurgen YNWA

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #1961 on: March 21, 2024, 10:58:11 pm »
@Arsenal

Three Arsenal supporters have each received a three-year football banning order after pleading guilty to a section five public order offence (tragedy chanting) which took place at our home fixture against Liverpool on Sunday, January 7.

We strongly condemn this abhorrent behaviour. We have worked closely with the police to ensure swift action was taken and we welcome the football banning orders handed out.

We have a zero-tolerance approach to tragedy chanting and will always ensure strong action is taken against those found guilty of such behaviour.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #1962 on: March 21, 2024, 10:58:58 pm »
The mancs, like their stadium, are stuck in the 90’s.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1963 on: March 21, 2024, 10:59:58 pm »
More like the 70s
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1964 on: March 21, 2024, 11:01:46 pm »
They certainly dress like they’re still in that era.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #1965 on: March 21, 2024, 11:03:33 pm »
More like the 70s
They still haven't emerged from their Bay City Rollers phase.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1966 on: March 21, 2024, 11:06:58 pm »
@Arsenal

Three Arsenal supporters have each received a three-year football banning order after pleading guilty to a section five public order offence (tragedy chanting) which took place at our home fixture against Liverpool on Sunday, January 7...

I'm a bit surprised by that. They generally seem to be above that kind of thing. Every club has its weirdos though, I suppose.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1967 on: March 21, 2024, 11:14:47 pm »
You ever seen that Arsenal tv ting’ fam?

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1968 on: March 21, 2024, 11:31:48 pm »
You ever seen that Arsenal tv ting’ fam?
Thankfully not, blud.  ;)

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1969 on: March 21, 2024, 11:35:18 pm »
King Tubby meets Del Boy Uptown

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #1970 on: March 22, 2024, 01:52:55 am »
The Mancs have an irrational, pathetic hatred of LFC and Scousers and they pass it from generation to generation and until they grow the fuck up, it'll never stop.

I went the game a few times with a group of fellas and women from Switzerland, friends of a friend. We were in a pub in town and they we're telling me they been to Glasgow to watch a game and then they'd been to Manchester to see Old Trafford. They'd then gone in a local pub for a bevvy (they liked their ale these lads). Anyway, after getting served, they were chatting to the barmaid, all jovial until they mentioned they were Liverpool fans. She turned, grabbed their drinks and told them to "fuck off out of this pub now". They were gobsmacked and went to argue back - her response was to threaten to shout to the fellas in the pub that they were Scousers and they'd get the fucking shit kicked out of them - if got a few stories about our kids pub in Manc, they're so bitter and twisted, that's the kind of hatred they have for us.

Mancs on a nightout in Liverpool, so long as they aren't twats, won't get any bother.

Honestly I didn't used to believe this and was convinced there was an element of "bringing it on ourselves" in terms of the actual hatred - I'd had jibes and whilst poor taste still mild stick for being Scouse but it was around Christmas I was dropping my mate off near Manchester Airport and stopped for petrol.

The person in front of me (foreign lad) had a Man City shirt on and the woman working the tills gave him some stick for it and he mentioned that he just supported football so had Man U and other kits too - in my head I go "this is no different than maybe liking Torino and Lazio" (for example, just two teams, don't read into it) if you were English and so when I get to the front and she makes a comment I just deflect it as a "no harm no foul" thing. What is key here is that due to having lived in Yorkshire more or less since 18 my accent (especially when tired) is very flat due to the mixed influence on it and so she must have assumed I was from Manchester as she went on to go "even if that (insert term I won't type) doesn't get it with football at least he isn't a bin dipper".

I was flabbergasted - you are at work mate for one and it hasn't been provoked by anything. I'd had had more time for her if she had picked up the Scouse in my accent and had a go at me directly to be honest as the deadpan kind of "this is normal" attitude she showed to making clear her dislike/hatred of our city just blew my mind.

I will say that in the circles I run socially and professionally you don't tend to get the level of ingrained prejudice that many of you experience and I know I am lucky for that but seeing it first hand almost broke the glass on this as I'd previously been dismissive of it.

For hatred of people from another city to permeate your life so much is a horrible existence to live and I almost pity the people who feel this way

Honestly I almost feel privileged to have avoided it for so much of my life but after seeing it first hand (and this is relatively mild as far as it goes) it makes so much more sense now why their fans in the ground behave the way they do and is a testament to our city that we do our best to rise above it (the odd "oh manchester, is full of shit" and Andy's dislike of southerners aside)

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1971 on: March 22, 2024, 06:46:21 am »
Honestly I didn't used to believe this and was convinced there was an element of "bringing it on ourselves" in terms of the actual hatred - I'd had jibes and whilst poor taste still mild stick for being Scouse but it was around Christmas I was dropping my mate off near Manchester Airport and stopped for petrol.

The person in front of me (foreign lad) had a Man City shirt on and the woman working the tills gave him some stick for it and he mentioned that he just supported football so had Man U and other kits too - in my head I go "this is no different than maybe liking Torino and Lazio" (for example, just two teams, don't read into it) if you were English and so when I get to the front and she makes a comment I just deflect it as a "no harm no foul" thing. What is key here is that due to having lived in Yorkshire more or less since 18 my accent (especially when tired) is very flat due to the mixed influence on it and so she must have assumed I was from Manchester as she went on to go "even if that (insert term I won't type) doesn't get it with football at least he isn't a bin dipper".

I was flabbergasted - you are at work mate for one and it hasn't been provoked by anything. I'd had had more time for her if she had picked up the Scouse in my accent and had a go at me directly to be honest as the deadpan kind of "this is normal" attitude she showed to making clear her dislike/hatred of our city just blew my mind.

I will say that in the circles I run socially and professionally you don't tend to get the level of ingrained prejudice that many of you experience and I know I am lucky for that but seeing it first hand almost broke the glass on this as I'd previously been dismissive of it.

For hatred of people from another city to permeate your life so much is a horrible existence to live and I almost pity the people who feel this way

Honestly I almost feel privileged to have avoided it for so much of my life but after seeing it first hand (and this is relatively mild as far as it goes) it makes so much more sense now why their fans in the ground behave the way they do and is a testament to our city that we do our best to rise above it (the odd "oh manchester, is full of shit" and Andy's dislike of southerners aside)
Never underestimate the fear, jealousy, bitterness and hatred that's ingrained in their culture. For such a cocky city, they are so incredibly small town and insecure. I've said it many times before, but I refuse to spend a single penny in that city. We'll always travel elsewhere for shows that we could easily see more conveniently in Manchester. Leeds and Bristol have been far nicer options for us.

I remember a now ex of mine telling me about her mate going to a party in Manchester in the 90s. She was told in no uncertain terms that if she didn't leave she'd be doused in lighter fuel (shown the tin of fuel) then set alight if she and her friends didn't leave. Why? Because she was from Liverpool.

Now I can't imagine anything like that ever happening in this city to a visiting Mancunian. I'm not interested in their city. I don't find it attractive to visit. I despise their football club, and that other thing they have at the Etihad too, but I've never once been anything but polite towards a visiting Mancunian who wasn't acting like a savage. I have no fear of Manchester or Mancunians. Their club doesn't scare me. The same cannot be said for far too many Mancunians, because their sheer fear of our club and the cultural identity of our city shows itself clearly and obviously in how far too many of them act.

I've heard so many horror stories of their pathological fear and obsession with our city and the savagery it produces in a lot of them. As I said, for such an arrogant, cocky city, they sure are deeply insecure, and my goodness, it doesn't half show.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 10:06:55 am by Son of Spion »

Online boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #1972 on: March 22, 2024, 08:43:07 am »
There are always 'exceptions to the rule', but that doesnt make the argument steadfast. Not all mancs are bad. Like not all Liverpudlians are bin dippers. Theres bin dippers in manchester. I know this as Ive visited whilst doing a surveys for work. They have a homeless problem, like any city. I was in Sheffield last weekend and the place was surprisingly busy with them. Its a societal problem not contained to liverpool. Being rude, aggressive and wholly unpleasant isnt something contained to manchester either. My experience as someone who ended up in SE London estates (scooterboy in 78-90) as a yoof, is that Chelsea fans and West Ham fans have been my problem. What I am trying to state (badly) is that all of these malaise are present in all cities and all fans to a greater or lesser extent. No one is holier.

Hatred is the root and the anger and violence are the branches. I know its cheesey, but all you need is love is fucking bang on. Dont hate. Dont carry that burden. I wont hate mancs and Im a contrary person by nature. It is simply self defeating as it bounces back at you.

I was at the FA Cup final against the hammers with my wife. I was a bit worried beforehand because of my experiences. But we drank and sang with them before, during and after. We knicked it, but they were magnaminous (hope I spelt it ok).

Oh and on a final note, I was beaten up by football casuals on my way to a scooter rally in Rhll in the 80's. I'd broken down on my Lambretta (surprise). They were Liverpool fans.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1973 on: March 22, 2024, 08:44:20 am »
@Arsenal

Three Arsenal supporters have each received a three-year football banning order after pleading guilty to a section five public order offence (tragedy chanting) which took place at our home fixture against Liverpool on Sunday, January 7.

We strongly condemn this abhorrent behaviour. We have worked closely with the police to ensure swift action was taken and we welcome the football banning orders handed out.

We have a zero-tolerance approach to tragedy chanting and will always ensure strong action is taken against those found guilty of such behaviour.

Should be life. If it was about an ethnic or religious group they'd be up for possible criminal charges.

As a club you should ban them for life if you believe what they did is wrong.

If only 3-5 years they should have to wear a 'Tragedy Chanter' shirt/top/jacket everytime they attend a match.

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1974 on: March 22, 2024, 09:33:22 am »
Hate to say it, but if it was the opposite way around and thousands of ours had been chanting, there would still be liverpool fans saying ‘whatabout that Utd fan that was gesturing about x’ rather than owning their own fans behaviour.

Unless everyone can get beyond tribalism and into humanism, this will persist.

That is probably the worst thing I've seen posted on here. I can't talk about someone else, but I know if some c*nt turned up among the people I know - ST for decades - chanting shite like that then they'd get dogs abuse and pointed out to the steward.

Same as when I worked in the Kop. No way they are having it. If there were thousands chanting it - where the fuck would these dickheads come from?

The stewards and police at Anfield are really good at their jobs. If you were found to be singing that shite then you'd be at least thrown out, but more likely arrested.

I don't even understand what you're saying here.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1975 on: March 22, 2024, 10:01:42 am »
Never underestimate the fear, jealousy, bitterness and hatred that's ingrained in their culture. For such a cocky city, they are so incredibly small town and insecure. I've said it many times before, but I refuse to spend a single penny in that city. We'll always travel elsewhere for shows that we could easily see more conveniently in Manchester. Leeds and Bristol have been far nicer options for us.

I remember a now ex of mine telling me about her mate going to a party in Manchester in the 90s. She was told in no uncertain terms that if she didn't leave she'd be doused in lighter fuel (shown the tin of fuel) then set a light if she and her friends didn't leave. Why? Because she was from Liverpool.

Now I can't imagine anything like that ever happening in this city to a visiting Mancunian. I'm not interested in their city. I don't find it attractive to visit. I despise their football club, and that other thing they have at the Etihad too, but I've never once been anything but polite towards a visiting Mancunian who wasn't acting like a savage. I have no fear of Manchester or Mancunians. Their club doesn't scare me. The same cannot be said for far too many Mancunians, because their sheer fear of our club and the cultural identity of our city shows itself clearly and obviously in how far too many of them act.

I've heard so many horror stories of their pathological fear and obsession with our city and the savagery it produces in a lot of them. As I said, for such an arrogant, cocky city, they sure are deeply insecure, and my goodness, it doesn't half show.

The last time I went there on a night out, three of them had heard me speak (and I'm not even a Scouser - just lived here for nearly 40 years) and followed me out as I got off and headed to get the train home.

We had a brief chat about it in an alley and I got off home.

I've not been back since. The whole thing was nothing I had done. Nothing I had said. I hadn't upset anyone. I hadn't done anything. It was because I was a 'Scouser'

Pathetic fuckers.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1976 on: March 22, 2024, 10:05:23 am »
There are always 'exceptions to the rule', but that doesnt make the argument steadfast. Not all mancs are bad. Like not all Liverpudlians are bin dippers. Theres bin dippers in manchester. I know this as Ive visited whilst doing a surveys for work. They have a homeless problem, like any city. I was in Sheffield last weekend and the place was surprisingly busy with them. Its a societal problem not contained to liverpool. Being rude, aggressive and wholly unpleasant isnt something contained to manchester either. My experience as someone who ended up in SE London estates (scooterboy in 78-90) as a yoof, is that Chelsea fans and West Ham fans have been my problem. What I am trying to state (badly) is that all of these malaise are present in all cities and all fans to a greater or lesser extent. No one is holier.

Hatred is the root and the anger and violence are the branches. I know its cheesey, but all you need is love is fucking bang on. Dont hate. Dont carry that burden. I wont hate mancs and Im a contrary person by nature. It is simply self defeating as it bounces back at you.

I was at the FA Cup final against the hammers with my wife. I was a bit worried beforehand because of my experiences. But we drank and sang with them before, during and after. We knicked it, but they were magnaminous (hope I spelt it ok).

Oh and on a final note, I was beaten up by football casuals on my way to a scooter rally in Rhll in the 80's. I'd broken down on my Lambretta (surprise). They were Liverpool fans.
Your point that there is good and bad everywhere definitely stands up. It's true. You'll find good people in the worst of places and you'll find some horrible bastards in the best of places too.

Thing is here, were talking not about individuals, but more about the culture that pervades through certain places. Are all Mancunians bad people? Absolutely not. But is there a prevailing culture in the Manchester area that is highly discriminating towards the City of Liverpool and its people? I'd say absolutely yes, going on my lived experience and the experience of countless others from this City.

You said there that "hatred is the root, and anger and violence are the branches." The thing to consider there, though, is hatred is a secondary emotion. Secondary emotions stem from something else. A primary emotion. In this case the primary emotion is fear. The reason that there is a pervasive fear of Liverpool FC in Manchester doesn't need covering. It speaks for itself. There has always been a fear of the City of Liverpool and it's cultural identity too. They were so jealous of our port that they dug a fucking ditch all the way to Manchester to bypass it. Their musicians endlessly mimic those from Liverpool then pass their stuff off as their own. The inferiority complex masked by cocky arrogance on display from the other end of the M62 stands out a mile.

There has long been a collective fear of our city and its culture. That has led to secondary emotions such as loathing and hatred. Those secondary emotions can then lead to a loss of self control and violence, be it verbal, physical or both. This is on them, not us. It's they who have the problem. It's for them to sort it out.

"All you need is love" cuts both ways. I'll embrace anyone from anywhere. I'll shake anyone's hand and offer them a warm welcome. It doesn't matter where they come from, what race,  colour, creed, sexuality or whatever. But they need to meet us half way. Respect encourages respect.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1977 on: March 22, 2024, 10:12:34 am »
The last time I went there on a night out, three of them had heard me speak (and I'm not even a Scouser - just lived here for nearly 40 years) and followed me out as I got off and headed to get the train home.

I've not been back since. The whole thing was nothing I had done. Nothing I had said. I hadn't upset anyone. I hadn't done anything. It was because I was a 'Scouser'

Pathetic fuckers.
A similar thing happened on Canal Street to a friend of a friend. Followed into toilets in a bar then attacked for no other reason than a Liverpool accent. Broken jaw as a result.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1978 on: March 22, 2024, 10:14:37 am »

Pathetic fuckers.

Heard that type of story so many times. Glad they picked on the rong person to pick on ;D

Our kid ran a nice pub off St Peters Sq in 1991, one day one fella is minding his own, drinking with his g/f, these 4 shithouse Mancs decide to start on him. Our kid wades in the throw them out "are you a fucking Scouser?" next thing they're throwing chairs at him, our kid gave them a few good digs and got them out, the bar staff had called the Bizzies, they came, heard out kids accent and lost all interest in doing anything. Landlord of another pub comes over and tells the bizzies they're in his pub, so they climb in their van and drive off towards the Arndale instead, does a lap of the block, come back "can't find them" and fucked off.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1979 on: March 22, 2024, 10:15:59 am »
A similar thing happened on Canal Street to a friend of a friend. Followed into toilets in a bar then attacked for no other reason than a Liverpool accent. Broken jaw as a result.

Yet I know loads of Mancs who come to Liverpool for a night out and love it because its so friendly and they have a great time.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1980 on: March 22, 2024, 10:22:35 am »
Yet I know loads of Mancs who come to Liverpool for a night out and love it because its so friendly and they have a great time.
My brother now lives in the Warrington area with his wife. Her family are mainly Man United fans although she's a Red. He knows plenty of people from the Manchester area through work. Most that he knows swerve Manchester for nights out and come to Liverpool instead, citing the great nightlife and far friendlier vibe. He's never once told me that any of them have encountered problems here either.

I used to go into Manchester with my partner. Just to visit Afflecks Palace and drink on Canal Street. These days we won't spend a single penny in the city though. The nearest we'll go is the airport, and that's reluctantly. Last March we had to get the train back to Liverpool from the airport on returning from the Maldives. Holy shit, what a downer it was chugging through Manchester that dreary, grey, wet morning.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 10:27:20 am by Son of Spion »

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #1981 on: March 22, 2024, 10:41:59 am »
I tend to keep my mouth shut or stay quiet if out in Manchester at all. Just not worth risking it, which says a lot, when you go to a City and worry that you might get your face smashed in for being from Liverpool.

And that worry doesn't come from nowhere OR the football rivalry. It comes from years of seeing their attitude to scousers. Very sad because I actually really like Manchester as a City and have friends from there.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Online boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #1982 on: March 22, 2024, 10:43:20 am »
I get that SoS. I got beat up by liverpool fans not because of football. But because I was a different tribe. I was a scooterist and a bit of a weirdo looking. I wasnt wearing Tate n Lyle, farahs or lois jeans and sambas. I had on a m1 flight jacket, combats and dm's. 8 vs 2 wasnt fair, plus they were older than us. Didnt make me hate liverpool fans. I was one ffs. They were just out for aggro.

Yes, it is absolutely 100% about fear. If I could get people to talk to each other that would be half the battle.

Easy to be lealous of Liverpool. Its a wonderful city. Ive never been that impressed with Manchester, asides from latter 80's music it could be nottingham, bradford or any other city. Liverpool is unique.

I have Man U fans to be thankful for as they drove me to support LFC. I'm contrary by nature, so when the school bullies tried to bully a 8yr old scottish kid I chose LFC. My step dad wanted me to support Ipswich. Never have I regretted that decision. I'm a natural born egalitarian and its a trait I recognise in Liverpool in spades.

The rivalry goes back to Athens vs Sparta. City states hatin on each other. Makes no bleeding sense to me.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #1983 on: March 22, 2024, 10:48:06 am »
I tend to keep my mouth shut or stay quiet if out in Manchester at all. Just not worth risking it, which says a lot, when you go to a City and worry that you might get your face smashed in for being from Liverpool.

And that worry doesn't come from nowhere OR the football rivalry. It comes from years of seeing their attitude to scousers. Very sad because I actually really like Manchester as a City and have friends from there.

I remember if we used to go out in Manchester we had to split into groups to get into places, because the bouncers would turn you away if you were a group of more than 2-3 Scouse lads.

Saying that, the only place I've been assaulted purely for having a Scouse accent is Newcastle....twice. It's a violent night in general up there, but it still surprised me.

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #1984 on: March 22, 2024, 10:53:18 am »
I remember if we used to go out in Manchester we had to split into groups to get into places, because the bouncers would turn you away if you were a group of more than 2-3 Scouse lads.

Saying that, the only place I've been assaulted purely for having a Scouse accent is Newcastle....twice. It's a violent night in general up there, but it still surprised me.

Problem for me is that, and I could be swinging wildly here, but a lot of people who cause 'trouble' would tend to be drunk lads, who, inevitably would be into footy, and can't separate being from a City with their football hatred/rivalry for people from that City. So they'd hear a scouser, even IF that scouser wasn't even a footy fan, and automatically hate them regardless. Then it just becomes a general hatred of anyone from that place.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1985 on: March 22, 2024, 11:12:17 am »
I get that SoS. I got beat up by liverpool fans not because of football. But because I was a different tribe. I was a scooterist and a bit of a weirdo looking. I wasnt wearing Tate n Lyle, farahs or lois jeans and sambas. I had on a m1 flight jacket, combats and dm's. 8 vs 2 wasnt fair, plus they were older than us. Didnt make me hate liverpool fans. I was one ffs. They were just out for aggro.

Yes, it is absolutely 100% about fear. If I could get people to talk to each other that would be half the battle.

Easy to be lealous of Liverpool. Its a wonderful city. Ive never been that impressed with Manchester, asides from latter 80's music it could be nottingham, bradford or any other city. Liverpool is unique.

I have Man U fans to be thankful for as they drove me to support LFC. I'm contrary by nature, so when the school bullies tried to bully a 8yr old scottish kid I chose LFC. My step dad wanted me to support Ipswich. Never have I regretted that decision. I'm a natural born egalitarian and its a trait I recognise in Liverpool in spades.

The rivalry goes back to Athens vs Sparta. City states hatin on each other. Makes no bleeding sense to me.
Sorry you ran into some dodgy characters. I know what you mean about tribes. I've actually had issues in my own city due to my own tribes. Being a bit of a weirdo  ;D myself I had a foot in two different camps in the late seventies and eighties. I was a match going football fan who stood in the middle of the Spion Kop, but I was also a Numanoid, Bowie, Goth music fan too, with dyed hair. Having a foot in both camps could draw suspicion from both those camps at times.

Regarding your comment on different tribes talking with each other. Well I agree. Underneath the veneer, we're all very similar, with the same basic needs in life. We have a lot more in common than not. Imagine how fantastic football would be if away days were used to meet the opposition, have a drink and a damn good laugh with them and make some friends for life. I know for some, that's exactly what it is, but the prevailing culture is sadly the opposite. If that culture could change then we'd all be a lot better off individually and as a society.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #1986 on: March 22, 2024, 11:31:31 am »
Sorry you ran into some dodgy characters. I know what you mean about tribes. I've actually had issues in my own city due to my own tribes. Being a bit of a weirdo  ;D myself I had a foot in two different camps in the late seventies and eighties. I was a match going football fan who stood in the middle of the Spion Kop, but I was also a Numanoid, Bowie, Goth music fan too, with dyed hair. Having a foot in both camps could draw suspicion from both those camps at times.

Regarding your comment on different tribes talking with each other. Well I agree. Underneath the veneer, we're all very similar, with the same basic needs in life. We have a lot more in common than not. Imagine how fantastic football would be if away days were used to meet the opposition, have a drink and a damn good laugh with them and make some friends for life. I know for some, that's exactly what it is, but the prevailing culture is sadly the opposite. If that culture could change then we'd all be a lot better off individually and as a society.

I was also one of the absolute wierdos hanging around the Courts with all the goths, moshers and emos. There used to be groups of Scallies coming down every other week for a fight. And walking around the streets of Liverpool with long hair and a band t-shirt used to result result in abuse-on-sight from anyone in a trackie! :D

The goths got it a lot worse though. I met people with some absolute horror stories of getting battered, piercings pulled out, all sorts of other really nasty shit. There was also that high profile case of the goth girl getting battered to death around Warrington somewhere. Really grim stuff, and so completely senseless.

Problem for me is that, and I could be swinging wildly here, but a lot of people who cause 'trouble' would tend to be drunk lads, who, inevitably would be into footy, and can't separate being from a City with their football hatred/rivalry for people from that City. So they'd hear a scouser, even IF that scouser wasn't even a footy fan, and automatically hate them regardless. Then it just becomes a general hatred of anyone from that place.

I get that. I think the other standout factor is a Scouse accents is very distinctive, even a mild one. Most Manc accents you could mistake from anywhere in Lancashire.

One of the times I was attacked in Newcastle, it was me and a few mates (two other Scousers, an Aussie, and a Welshman). We were at Uni there and walking home early from a night out because it was  shit. A group of Georgie meatheads walking in the other way said "fucking Scouse c*nts" and next thing you know they were laying into us just like that. Couldn't say if that was football related or just general hatred. Pure dick'eds either way.

The other time, I was talking to a girl and next thing a juiced up little fella was shouting "Fucking Scouse c*nt" in my face and then started swinging. I don't know if that was because I was talking to the girl and "Scouse c*nt" is just the first pejorative that comes to mind, or if he just didn't like Scousers. Either way, another dick'ed.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 11:37:17 am by Indomitable_Carp »

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #1987 on: March 22, 2024, 11:42:08 am »
Speaking of tribes .  In about 1988 two lads from the Yankee Bar got twatted by smellies from the club on Wood Street. The following Saturday I think it was the Arsenal 2 - 0 game at home all the Yankee Bar lads went around the club and started smashing their motorbikes and then they all came out and got leathered. It's mad to think anything like that happening these days.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Online boots

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #1988 on: March 22, 2024, 11:43:25 am »
Goths n that were, along with punks, the only tribes that never really hassled me. Always skins, casuals, bikers and soul boys. Irony being, I loved ska and I love modern soul too. Led Zep etc I love. I grew up on Bowie and my first recording was Numan on one of those flat tape recorders. Principally, Im a northern souler but looked like a king kurt fan (i was that too). Love a bit of the Sisters of Mercy etc. So, yes if we all talked we'd all see what we have in common. But no, we throw punches instead. Its nuts. I ride superbikes now.

There were areas in London I couldnt go to just because of my clothes. Bexleyheath being the worst as it was skinhead central. I effin got a job there. It was riding the gauntlet every day for me. Woolwich/Plumstead/Thamesmead, all skins and thats where i lived.

Thank fuck Im a middle aged man now. All this tribal shit is bollocks. However, it was also fun. I got arrested once on way to another scooter rally (morecombe I think) as I palled along with some scouser scooter guys I met on way called the Sheep Shaggers Scooter Club. Bastards didnt pay for their petrol. We all got knicked...but it was fun. They were nuts. They all wore cut off sheepskin jackets inside out. Mad bastards.

Online Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1989 on: March 22, 2024, 12:09:12 pm »
Interesting hearing all these experiences of Manchester.
For what its worth, I spent lots of time there in my twenties, and never had any trouble, I haven't got a strong accent, but people will know where I'm from. The biggest problems I had were with people who were OK when sober, but with a few drinks down them, the vitriol came out.

I had 2 examples, both when I was invited to my girlfriends works related events which put me in a difficult position. What was interesting was my girlfriends views of colleagues she used to respect completely embarrassing themselves. They were both way older than me, I was a guest, they obviously knew my girlfriend was a colleague, but that didn't stop them. Two faced, small minded hypocrites that can't take their ale.

Like a few have said, I love meeting people and having a drink and a chat, and most people I've met on that basis are absolutely sound. If people can't separate an actual person from rivalry based on football, then it tells you everything you need to know about them.

So while quite rightly, abuse or violence based on things like race, sexuality, religion are criminalised. It's OK to abuse someone for being scouse.

I think, and this feeds into the closed thread about corruption, if people are not from Liverpool and have never experienced Mancs as a scouser, they aren't qualified to comment on whether refs from that area are likely to carry some inbuilt prejudice into their reffing of Liverpool.

Everything Rob has spoken about is spot on. It's impossible to be brought up in some of those areas and not encounter anti scouse / Liverpool sentiment.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1990 on: March 22, 2024, 12:19:19 pm »
It could be said the thread has veered off topic, but I'd say it's actually bang on topic.
It simply highlights how this whole thing works. In-groups and out-groups. Fear of difference. Suspicion. Stereotyping. Prejudice. It's those things that lead to people kicking each other's heads in for having a different accent, wearing different clothes, listening to different music or wearing the shirt of another football team. Once you remove the humanity from the out-group, it's easy to treat them badly.

If you listen to the likes of Man United's vocal hordes, we are thieving, granny-bashing, lazy, benefit scroungers who eat out of bins on the streets. Dehumanisation right there in all its glory. From that point on, it's easy for them to assume we deserve their vitriolic venom, which they then indulge in at will.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1991 on: March 22, 2024, 12:48:15 pm »
It could be said the thread has veered off topic, but I'd say it's actually bang on topic.
It simply highlights how this whole thing works. In-groups and out-groups. Fear of difference. Suspicion. Stereotyping. Prejudice. It's those things that lead to people kicking each other's heads in for having a different accent, wearing different clothes, listening to different music or wearing the shirt of another football team. Once you remove the humanity from the out-group, it's easy to treat them badly.

If you listen to the likes of Man United's vocal hordes, we are thieving, granny-bashing, lazy, benefit scroungers who eat out of bins on the streets. Dehumanisation right there in all its glory. From that point on, it's easy for them to assume we deserve their vitriolic venom, which they then indulge in at will.

Even their average 'normal' fans call Liverpool fans vermin.

They have something seriously wrong with them

We all say stupid things and you say stuff you regret, but for them, this is just their standard, normal everyday thought process.

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #1992 on: March 22, 2024, 01:24:10 pm »
Said it before, will say it again and again, the way the media report this stuff is disgraceful. It's almost always a short article on the BBC, and they ALWAYS balance it with 'and there was also arrests in the Liverpool section too'...

"It followed an investigation by Greater Manchester Police (GMP) after a video was shared of a man in the home section of the Old Trafford crowd.
A video of an alleged offence in the Liverpool end is also being investigated."

Genuinely, if you ever want to know how the media don't take it seriously, this almost always happens.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1993 on: March 22, 2024, 02:00:32 pm »
Said it before, will say it again and again, the way the media report this stuff is disgraceful. It's almost always a short article on the BBC, and they ALWAYS balance it with 'and there was also arrests in the Liverpool section too'...

"It followed an investigation by Greater Manchester Police (GMP) after a video was shared of a man in the home section of the Old Trafford crowd.
A video of an alleged offence in the Liverpool end is also being investigated."

Genuinely, if you ever want to know how the media don't take it seriously, this almost always happens.

That stood out to me as well, they mentioned Tragedy chanting in the away end, not one word that Utd fans, in their thousands, could clearly be heard singing various chants, both in the stadium, on TV and on radio
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #1994 on: March 22, 2024, 03:05:09 pm »
That stood out to me as well, they mentioned Tragedy chanting in the away end, not one word that Utd fans, in their thousands, could clearly be heard singing various chants, both in the stadium, on TV and on radio
As I mentioned in another thread, they (media, broadcasters etc) are all the fucking same. All of them.

BBC. Sky. ITV.

You'd get one or two individuals mention it in the papers but in the main they're all fucking deaf and dumb motherfuckers.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1995 on: March 22, 2024, 04:01:59 pm »
One thing that never received anywhere near as much backlash as it should have - EA Sports had the chant "Sign On" included in FIFA from roughly 2008-2013.

Opposing fans at Anfield would chant it during matches.

Maybe just one dickhead in the development team, but it passed quality checks and was included in a game that sells millions of copies per year worldwide, and is played by a huge percentage of footy fans. A tired, age old chant about poverty.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1996 on: March 22, 2024, 04:06:58 pm »
One thing that never received anywhere near as much backlash as it should have - EA Sports had the chant "Sign On" included in FIFA from roughly 2008-2013.

Opposing fans at Anfield would chant it during matches.

Maybe just one dickhead in the development team, but it passed quality checks and was included in a game that sells millions of copies per year worldwide, and is played by a huge percentage of footy fans. A tired, age old chant about poverty.

That's incredible, how on earth did that get through to the final version.  You got a source for this story, I honestly can't believe it was a thing.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1997 on: March 22, 2024, 07:36:17 pm »
That's incredible, how on earth did that get through to the final version.  You got a source for this story, I honestly can't believe it was a thing.

I’ll try and find a video example, it’s from the older games. I very clearly remember it.

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1998 on: March 22, 2024, 07:50:45 pm »

A few years ago a young lad from Liverpool who was studying at Manchester University was punched by some manc twat because of his accent. The poor kid died as a result of that punch. The c**t was never caught & is still probably walking the streets harbouring his hatred of all things scouse.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1999 on: March 22, 2024, 08:46:06 pm »
A few years ago a young lad from Liverpool who was studying at Manchester University was punched by some manc twat because of his accent. The poor kid died as a result of that punch. The c**t was never caught & is still probably walking the streets harbouring his hatred of all things scouse.
I think I remember that case. There's some really sick people around, unfortunately. 🫤