32 (25.4%)
Murphy
4 (3.2%)
Robertson
27 (21.4%)
Allen
9 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 126

Author Topic: The Snooker thread  (Read 652441 times)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Re: The Snooker thread
« Reply #12360 on: May 2, 2024, 03:42:00 pm »
Ronnie has threatened to quit about 10 times

His mental health issues are well known
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline fridgepants

• Main Stander
  • They should let everybody be a giant for a day
« Reply #12361 on: May 2, 2024, 03:51:32 pm »
Yeah, I know, which was what had me wondering whether he was still getting something out of it if his mental health is not in great shape.

Offline Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12362 on: May 2, 2024, 03:54:20 pm »

True, and for that he has my sympathy.

But this just smacks of greed and ego.

I've found him increasingly difficult to take to. I started reading his autobiography recently in an attempt to do just that. But, it went in the bin before I was half way through. 

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12363 on: May 2, 2024, 03:54:30 pm »
Could be anything really, the hours of practice probably do your head in later in your career too, I know John Parrott felt like that too

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12364 on: May 2, 2024, 04:00:10 pm »
I've long wondered why he carries on playing when it clearly isn't doing anything for him personally at this stage - surely he's in a position where he could retire without financial worries unless his accountant has really dicked him about? But then a friend said that he thought that it was the worry of what to do instead that drives him. Kind of like how Gazza ended up addicted to exercise, Red Bull and god knows what else once he kicked the drinking - there's a void that needs filling with something.

I think that's exactly it. He took a whole year off after winning in 2012, worked on a pig farm among other things and he realised he needed the game. Didn't play a match before defending his title in 2013 and winning that as well.  He's tried his hand at other stuff too such as healthy cooking, writing etc but I suspect he misses the buzz.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12365 on: May 2, 2024, 05:17:12 pm »
Properly enjoyed that first session of the semi finals.hope it continues in that manner been a great watch.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #12366 on: May 2, 2024, 10:14:44 pm »
Really enjoying some “old fashioned” snooker. In no small part due to the tightness of the pockets and the comparative heaviness of the cloth.

Jones certainly plays in a ‘valleys’ style, (only those who’ve suffered being on the end of that might appreciate what I mean; it's basically, grind the f***ers into the dust, and give ‘em nothing).
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #12367 on: May 2, 2024, 10:30:45 pm »
Really enjoying some “old fashioned” snooker. In no small part due to the tightness of the pockets and the comparative heaviness of the cloth.

Jones certainly plays in a ‘valleys’ style, (only those who’ve suffered being on the end of that might appreciate what I mean; it's basically, grind the f***ers into the dust, and give ‘em nothing).

Yeah, Terry Griffiths was notable for that style of play,  the final session from one of his matches vs Cliff Thorburn [who had the same style of play] finished around 4am at The Crucible, it was that same match were Thorburn made the first 147 break at The Crucible too.
#Sausages

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12368 on: May 2, 2024, 10:37:30 pm »
Ronnie has threatened to quit about 10 times

Yeah but he now has that blood money.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #12369 on: May 2, 2024, 10:49:46 pm »
I guess that makes it 4-all all.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12370 on: May 2, 2024, 11:11:36 pm »
Two great sessions of snooker.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #12371 on: May 2, 2024, 11:18:53 pm »
yeah his prickishness has shown through big time with his desire to take the World Championship to Saudi, his latest comment today about growing the game in the Middle East, sums him up for me
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #12372 on: May 2, 2024, 11:28:47 pm »
when was the last time the final was between two players who never won it?

Murphy and Matthew Stevens in 2005?

Trying to think when the last final was between two first time finalists too? Possibly Steve Davis and Doug Mountjoy in 1981?
think that's both correct
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12373 on: May 3, 2024, 01:29:01 pm »
Have to say I've taken a liking to Jones. I thought he had something when he came through the Si match, and when he threw away an easy frame to go 5-3 up on Trump and instead went away at 4-4 I was sure he would cave. Again in this semi at 3-0 down I thought he was in trouble but he keeps grinding away and nothing seems to faze him.

I think it was someone in this thread who also said he looks like an evening guest at a wedding which makes me chuckle too.

Online Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12374 on: May 3, 2024, 03:16:14 pm »
Bingham looking great in the afternoon session. Playing well too 😂
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #12375 on: May 3, 2024, 03:59:52 pm »
Absorbing snooker; as I previously posted, it’s a bit of a throwback, because of the conditions (difficult pockets and heavy cloth).

It’s not huge break flash bang wallop - which can be entertaining in its own way, but I’m enjoying it.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #12376 on: May 3, 2024, 06:55:11 pm »
Absorbing snooker; as I previously posted, it’s a bit of a throwback, because of the conditions (difficult pockets and heavy cloth).

It’s not huge break flash bang wallop - which can be entertaining in its own way, but I’m enjoying it.

The worry is going to be what they have left for the final.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #12377 on: May 3, 2024, 06:58:06 pm »
Bingham looking great in the afternoon session. Playing well too 😂

I think you cursed him or something. and in general I think it's a bit too scrappy for me.

there have been some good spectators in recent days. there was sleepy man, disgusted looking man and this afternoon a bloke who looked like bill oddie.
« Last Edit: May 3, 2024, 07:31:40 pm by voodoo ray »

Online Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12378 on: May 3, 2024, 08:24:43 pm »
I think you cursed him or something. and in general I think it's a bit too scrappy for me.

there have been some good spectators in recent days. there was sleepy man, disgusted looking man and this afternoon a bloke who looked like bill oddie.

Haha yep as soon as I posted that, he started looking miserable and playing like shit
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #12379 on: May 3, 2024, 08:31:16 pm »
well there you go. if anyone doesn't like jones you can blame darren morgan.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12380 on: May 3, 2024, 08:31:47 pm »
yeah his prickishness has shown through big time with his desire to take the World Championship to Saudi, his latest comment today about growing the game in the Middle East, sums him up for me
my comments were about his mind and his play but I don't agree with anything Saudi

And I've never met him but he doesn't strike me as a nice bloke.

think that's both correct
I love stats

Anyway. Bingham and Jones was very scrappy and messy. Jones gave away 49 points of fouls in one frame

Just flicked on for tonight

Was there this time last week :(

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #12381 on: May 3, 2024, 09:10:41 pm »
Wilson is making fewer key errors than Gilbert, and moreover, the balls are being much kinder to him, which happens a lot once a player starts getting up a head of steam. It’s uncanny, but very recognisable. 12-9.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #12382 on: May 3, 2024, 09:17:48 pm »
Ballrun wilson at the moment.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12383 on: May 3, 2024, 09:22:17 pm »

Quality has been piss poor. There’s a few seeds kicking themselves for getting knocked out.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12384 on: May 4, 2024, 12:08:53 am »
Dunno whether players are getting tired now. Bingham and Jones got very sloppy.

Gilbert was all over the place tonight. Wilson didn't make as many errors. Though Gilbert's century in the last frame was fantastic

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12385 on: May 4, 2024, 10:16:38 am »
Quality has been piss poor. There’s a few seeds kicking themselves for getting knocked out.

Are they kicking themselves though? At no point in the tournament has anyone looked like grabbing it by the scruff of the neck and none of the big names deserved to be in these semis. I would say the closest we have seen to that is Wilson, including last night.

Crucial final frame for Gilbert last night, gives him a glimmer at 10-14. 9-15 and it was all over. If he can win the first frame this afternoon the match is back in the balance.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #12386 on: May 4, 2024, 10:20:24 am »
Can anyone explain to me what the numbers are underneath the table at the reds end? You see it every now and again when the camera angle is low. It’s usually masked by the score banner.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #12387 on: May 4, 2024, 10:27:19 am »
Can anyone explain to me what the numbers are underneath the table at the reds end? You see it every now and again when the camera angle is low. It’s usually masked by the score banner.

they're dennis taylor's 'measurements' apparently

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12388 on: May 4, 2024, 10:27:53 am »
😂
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #12389 on: May 4, 2024, 10:30:15 am »

I’m sure when you’re watching any televised snooker match you see a small display at the foot of the table with a number; typically either 45 or 50 (mostly the latter). This pretty much refers to the temperature at which the table is heated, kind of. Most of you already knew this; but this is for the uneducated (and also the bored).

The basis for heating a snooker table is simply to reduce the amount of friction on the table. If a snooker table wasn’t heated and was left to survive on its own throughout the course of a tournament then it would inevitably become too cold and damp to play on. It would also cause quite an uneven surface. Now, I don’t need to tell you why that is a bad idea. Actually, I might. On a 12ft+ table, long shots would be an absolute nightmare.

Keeping a table warm and dry helps with the ‘run of the ball’ by providing quick play as well as consistency. Left without under-table heaters, the table would have to adjust to the changing temperatures of the surrounding environment which would cause minor (but noticeable) contractions in the cloth that snooker is played on. That’s pretty much it.

This leads to what choice of temperature should be chosen for the heaters. Most of you (including myself) would probably think that 50 degrees would be far too hot to play on. However, because the slates that snooker tables are primarily made from are so thick, it is only approximately 20 or so degrees when the heat actually reaches to the top of the table.

Fun fact: a lot of local clubs that don’t have table heaters tend to just iron their tables in order to keep them running smooth.

https://www.snookershorts.com/shorts/why-are-snooker-tables-heated
#Sausages

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12390 on: May 4, 2024, 10:40:54 am »
Nice

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #12391 on: May 4, 2024, 11:22:22 am »
Nice

As was Dennis Taylor gently chiding Murphy for his poor arithmetic.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #12392 on: May 4, 2024, 11:28:34 am »
bing's blowing it. he's also not living up to his nickname either.

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12393 on: May 4, 2024, 11:56:53 am »
Cheers Statto

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #12394 on: May 4, 2024, 12:18:51 pm »
A player gets in, misses a pretty simple shot they should always make, leaves Jones in and he wins the frame.

Stop me if you've heard that one before. Love bing but he's doing my head in now.

Offline Armchair expert

• Almost makes you agree with Gove
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meet the new boss.....same as the old boss
« Reply #12395 on: May 4, 2024, 12:49:41 pm »
Jesus the final might not start on Sunday if Bingham and Jones carry on like this…

One good thing a Jones v Gilbert final might put the Saudi’s off from wanting the World Championship

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #12396 on: May 4, 2024, 12:52:40 pm »
This is ridiculous from Bingham.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Armchair expert

• Almost makes you agree with Gove
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meet the new boss.....same as the old boss
« Reply #12397 on: May 4, 2024, 12:56:19 pm »
This is ridiculous from Bingham.

Is he getting Jones back from yesterday when he needed like 10 snookers (ok I’m exaggerating) in a frame, either way it’s fucking grim

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #12398 on: May 4, 2024, 12:56:30 pm »
The funniest thing about this is how much it seems to wind up murphy

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #12399 on: May 4, 2024, 01:00:25 pm »
Fitting way for that shitshow to end :lmao
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now