Author Topic: Sportwashing-A general thread  (Read 62014 times)

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
Re: Sportwashing-A general thread
« Reply #280 on: August 1, 2023, 06:45:01 pm »

'Jordan Henderson affair shows players must mean it when they take a stand' - byThomas Hitzlsperger:-

Former Liverpool captain’s support for the LGBTQ community no longer feels genuine after his move to Saudi Arabia

www.theguardian.com/football/2023/aug/01/jordan-henderson-affair-shows-players-must-mean-it-when-they-take-a-stand

^ 'Jordan Henderson’s old brand is dead.'

a snippet...

'We have come a long way in the last 10 years since I’m openly gay but you can’t take the improvement for granted. It is a constant fight. There is still discrimination around the world and especially in Saudi Arabia, where the legislation is not in favour of openly gay people, to put it mildly. That’s why Jordan Henderson’s move has big significance and is such a big disappointment.

After the criticism he has received other players may think twice about backing the Premier League’s rainbow laces campaign or showing their support. It may deter some. In a way that’s good. Athletes may understand better now that with allyship comes responsibility. You only want an ally who will be with you through thick and thin.

Some replies to my tweet said anyone would take that amount of money. No, not everyone would. There are people who just would not do it because their values are more important than money. Players can choose what they want for their careers, that’s fine. That’s always been the case. But players have rejected offers for various reasons and I don’t want to think that players always opt for the best financial deal.'

« Last Edit: August 1, 2023, 06:47:52 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #281 on: August 1, 2023, 07:35:16 pm »

Sadio Mane has now officially signed for Al Nassr FC:-

https://twitter.com/AlNassrFC/status/1686433763335557133 (announcement video at the official Al Nassr twitter account)

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66378778 & https://twitter.com/FCBayernEN/status/1686437787673776146

« Last Edit: August 1, 2023, 07:45:30 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #282 on: August 1, 2023, 08:37:03 pm »
Oh, and let us not forget Sheffield United who join us in the PL next year.

They are 50% owned by Abdullah bin Mosaad bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud who also owns Beerschot, an Indian and French club and.....Al-Hilal United FC
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online SvenJohansen

• Fast single-handed action expert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #283 on: August 1, 2023, 08:38:03 pm »
This is never-ending. Nonstop greed.
I feel a little strange inside
A little bit of Jekyll, a little Mr. Hyde

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #284 on: August 1, 2023, 10:59:24 pm »
Sadio Mane has now officially signed for Al Nassr FC:-

https://twitter.com/AlNassrFC/status/1686433763335557133 (announcement video at the official Al Nassr twitter account)

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66378778 & https://twitter.com/FCBayernEN/status/1686437787673776146

Ripping off our song like the other clubs have ripped off our imagery. Are they desperate for a link to us, for us to like them, or what? It's plain weird. Stop trying to take our identity for yourselves along with all our current and ex-players ffs.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: August 1, 2023, 11:51:43 pm »
Yes, it is worrying but at this stage it still looks like a retirement home with nearly all those under 30 coming from Saudi. Ronaldo is in good shape but he's getting on for 39, was shit last year and will be a 40 year old earning $200m a year to play with former lesser galacticos. Every player bought from England has been heading down the hill and have sought a pay day before they hit the knackers yard. That applies to Mane as well. Fowler and Gerrard have hardly lit up the managerial sky.
At this stage it's like football but less watchable and actually lesser than the Chinese attempt.
I mean, would you watch Al-Hilal v Al-Ettifaq or Brentford v Brighton
They are effectively cleaning out the clubs of their ageing players
« Last Edit: August 2, 2023, 12:09:22 am by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: August 2, 2023, 12:53:42 am »
Ripping off our song like the other clubs have ripped off our imagery. Are they desperate for a link to us, for us to like them, or what? It's plain weird. Stop trying to take our identity for yourselves along with all our current and ex-players ffs.
they're real big on the cultural appropriation, it must be said

Including our love of very camp eurovision heroes Abba, ironically (often the way with homophobes)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: August 2, 2023, 01:05:32 am »
Well the conspiracy theory is it's all being done to prep us for a sale to them in the near future.  :-X

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: August 2, 2023, 01:07:27 am »
Well the conspiracy theory is it's all being done to prep us for a sale to them in the near future.  :-X
MbS and his boys saw the parties and the drag queens medley during Liverpool's eurovision and decided he needed to get in on the action? I can definitely see that

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: August 2, 2023, 01:10:53 am »
 :D

Look at the people recently associated with the club heading there.

Gerrard
Fowler
Hendo
Fabinho
Mane
Wijnaldum (Linked)
Coutinho (Linked)

Michael Edwards even been linked to a Sporting Director role over there.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: August 2, 2023, 01:14:29 am »
They are also using imagery and music associated with the club too.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: August 2, 2023, 06:45:44 am »
Yes, it is worrying but at this stage it still looks like a retirement home with nearly all those under 30 coming from Saudi. Ronaldo is in good shape but he's getting on for 39, was shit last year and will be a 40 year old earning $200m a year to play with former lesser galacticos. Every player bought from England has been heading down the hill and have sought a pay day before they hit the knackers yard. That applies to Mane as well. Fowler and Gerrard have hardly lit up the managerial sky.
At this stage it's like football but less watchable and actually lesser than the Chinese attempt.
I mean, would you watch Al-Hilal v Al-Ettifaq or Brentford v Brighton
They are effectively cleaning out the clubs of their ageing players
The thing is they don't want or care about the Europeans or Westerns.

The plan is to become a hub for all Arabs. There are 464m Arabs, a lot of Arab countries have a rich football tradition with clubs like Ahly & Zamalek in Egypt, Raja & Wydad in Morocco, Esperance & Etoile du Sahel in Tunisia, Al Hilal and Al Marikh in Sudan, Al Faislay and Al Wehdat in Jordan, some of them to a degree have more history and fanbase than the Saudi league.

Buying all these guys change the perception and makes the Saudi league have more eyes on it in the region. Also bear in mind, they know they aren't going to compete with the top leagues as they want to be the 5th or 6th best league in the World, having said that though, I am sure a large number of younger people (maybe not on this sub, but most of the PS generation who play Ultimate team and the like) would rather watch Al Hilal vs Al Nassr for example than see PSG putting 7 past Angers or Bayern scoring 4 in the first 20 minutes against Bremen.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #292 on: August 2, 2023, 09:55:40 am »
It’s annoying of course, but it’s also a clue as to why the Saudi league may experience mushroom growth but also lay down no roots. Everything is off the shelf. The players of course who are ‘names’ already and need no nurturing, but also the fan culture which is imported lock, stock and barrel. It’s cheap and shoddy imitation and won’t convince any football fan that there is anything authentic going on.

If you’re looking for authenticity in Saudi Arabia you need look no further than State repression, religious bigotry and human rights violations. That’s the real thing. The football will remain hollow and unreal, regardless of how many washed-up Henderson’s they manage to monetise.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: August 2, 2023, 09:58:28 am »
Perhaps they could make it more authentic by having lashings in place of yellow and red cards.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: August 2, 2023, 10:19:21 am »
Anyone who misses a penalty could have the offending foot cut off.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: August 2, 2023, 10:25:58 am »
What if they miss a header?

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: August 2, 2023, 12:03:14 pm »
That's too much of a punishment. They should beheading home after missing a penalty.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: August 2, 2023, 12:06:53 pm »
They should all be punished for stealing a living.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: August 2, 2023, 01:44:57 pm »
Apparently beheading prevents dementia caused by heading
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: August 2, 2023, 01:48:45 pm »
Apparently beheading prevents dementia caused by heading

People being relieved of their heads that have been bothering them could be said.

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: August 2, 2023, 06:07:43 pm »
It’s annoying of course, but it’s also a clue as to why the Saudi league may experience mushroom growth but also lay down no roots. Everything is off the shelf. The players of course who are ‘names’ already and need no nurturing, but also the fan culture which is imported lock, stock and barrel. It’s cheap and shoddy imitation and won’t convince any football fan that there is anything authentic going on.

If you’re looking for authenticity in Saudi Arabia you need look no further than State repression, religious bigotry and human rights violations. That’s the real thing. The football will remain hollow and unreal, regardless of how many washed-up Henderson’s they manage to monetise.
You can criticize Saudi for a lot of things and you'd be correct. That bit though is not.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: August 2, 2023, 06:21:26 pm »
You can criticize Saudi for a lot of things and you'd be correct. That bit though is not.

Absolutely right. It's the veneer they are importing. It won't be enough. Obviously.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: August 2, 2023, 06:52:21 pm »
Absolutely right. It's the veneer they are importing. It won't be enough. Obviously.
Again, don't speak something you don't know about. Saudi have a football culture, different to the one in the UK but long before whatever the fuck they are doing now, their stadiums were selling out 50-60 thousand people in there.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: August 2, 2023, 07:00:13 pm »
Again, don't speak something you don't know about. Saudi have a football culture, different to the one in the UK but long before whatever the fuck they are doing now, their stadiums were selling out 50-60 thousand people in there.

I hope they all get in for free considering PIF is spending their state wealth on football.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: August 2, 2023, 07:36:13 pm »

Saudi football culture is crap. It always will be. They can take, nick, thieve off Liverpool FC to their heart's content but not in a million years will they be able to create something as real and authentic as the thing they covet.

Good job too.   

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: August 2, 2023, 08:14:40 pm »
Saudi football culture is crap. It always will be. They can take, nick, thieve off Liverpool FC to their heart's content but not in a million years will they be able to create something as real and authentic as the thing they covet.

Good job too.
OK

I guess any culture that is not western is crap for you. Literally you can criticize everything about what they are doing there, except the fans because they actually enjoy their football and travel in numbers to follow their teams.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: August 2, 2023, 08:26:52 pm »
OK

I guess any culture that is not western is crap for you. Literally you can criticize everything about what they are doing there, except the fans because they actually enjoy their football and travel in numbers to follow their teams.
And when they say together they mean unless you are gay or (probably) female
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #307 on: August 2, 2023, 08:33:45 pm »
I think they allowed women to go to games for the first time only about 3 or 4 years ago. I know, wow, that's nice of them  ::)

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #308 on: August 2, 2023, 08:40:29 pm »
OK

Okay, but those are 4 photos and 3 stadiums- King Abdullah Sports City, King Fahd International Stadium and King Abdullah Sports City Stadium. Only the first actually averages close to its capacity.

Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: August 2, 2023, 08:42:52 pm »
Saudi Average Crowds 2022

Al Ittihad
Al Ittihad
Al Nassr
Al Nassr
Al Adalah
Al Adalah
Al Fateh
Al Fateh
Al Hilal
Al Hilal
Al Ra’ed
Al Ra’ed
Al Ettifaq
Al Ettifaq
Al Tai
Al Tai
Al Shabab
Al Shabab
Al Taawoun
Al Taawoun
Al Khaleej
Al Khaleej
Damac FC
Damac FC
Al Batin
Al Batin
Abha Club
Abha Club
Al Fayha
Al Fayha
Al Wehda
Al Wehda
aarf, aarf, aarf.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: August 2, 2023, 08:53:48 pm »

Al Ittihad
Al Ittihad
Al Nassr
Al Nassr
Al Adalah
Al Adalah
Al Fateh
Al Fateh
Al Hilal
Al Hilal
Al Ra’ed
Al Ra’ed
Al Ettifaq
Al Ettifaq
Al Tai
Al Tai
Al Shabab
Al Shabab
Al Taawoun
Al Taawoun
Al Khaleej
Al Khaleej
Damac FC
Damac FC
Al Batin
Al Batin
Abha Club
Abha Club
Al Fayha
Al Fayha
Al Wehda
Al Wehda
I am sure the Saudi teams don't release their attendance figures.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: August 2, 2023, 09:47:35 pm »
Massive stadiums, tiny crowds. It could be problem.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: August 2, 2023, 10:19:26 pm »
So, Mane at Al Nassr, Hendo and Stevie at Al Ettifaq and Firmino at Al Ahli.

So, which Saudi team will you root for this season? 

;D 8)

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: August 2, 2023, 10:20:11 pm »

Al Ittihad
Al Ittihad
Al Nassr
Al Nassr
Al Adalah
Al Adalah
Al Fateh
Al Fateh
Al Hilal
Al Hilal
Al Ra’ed
Al Ra’ed
Al Ettifaq
Al Ettifaq
Al Tai
Al Tai
Al Shabab
Al Shabab
Al Taawoun
Al Taawoun
Al Khaleej
Al Khaleej
Damac FC
Damac FC
Al Batin
Al Batin
Abha Club
Abha Club
Al Fayha
Al Fayha
Al Wehda
Al Wehda
I see so many Artificial Intelligence in club names

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: August 2, 2023, 10:43:45 pm »
OK

I find your comment on the west a little odd, to say the least..

particularly given that what you've posted is (further evidence) of cultural appropriation by the saudis - it's not even being disguised, as most of it's written in english! (one in Arabic)

So, Mane at Al Nassr, Hendo and Stevie at Al Ettifaq and Firmino at Al Ahli.

So, which Saudi team will you root for this season? 
Don't forget Fabinho's team, Ittihad - to be fair to them, I think they might be the only side in that league with average attendance higher than 50% of the capacity last season (39k of a 60k stadium).

Maybe Henderson's ability with the ball will prove a big enough draw to get more than 6,500 to go to Ettifaq's 30k (less than a quarter full!) stadium next season ;D and that's in a city of 1.5 million, and next door to Bahrain too!
« Last Edit: August 2, 2023, 10:58:55 pm by classycarra »

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #315 on: August 2, 2023, 10:52:35 pm »
That "defeat 'em" looks like some shite off of Pro Evo or whatever it's called these days

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: August 2, 2023, 10:54:29 pm »

Al Ittihad
Al Ittihad
Al Nassr
Al Nassr
Al Adalah
Al Adalah
Al Fateh
Al Fateh
Al Hilal
Al Hilal
Al Ra’ed
Al Ra’ed
Al Ettifaq
Al Ettifaq
Al Tai
Al Tai
Al Shabab
Al Shabab
Al Taawoun
Al Taawoun
Al Khaleej
Al Khaleej
Damac FC
Damac FC
Al Batin
Al Batin
Abha Club
Abha Club
Al Fayha
Al Fayha
Al Wehda
Al Wehda

So the Top 4 teams couldn't fill Wembley.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: August 3, 2023, 03:39:42 am »
So the Top 4 teams couldn't fill Wembley.
Yeah it is taken from 21-22 season, which had Covid restrictions at the time in Saudi and again those numbers are no way accurate since they don't announce attendance there.

I find your comment on the west a little odd, to say the least..

particularly given that what you've posted is (further evidence) of cultural appropriation by the saudis - it's not even being disguised, as most of it's written in english! (one in Arabic)

It is very common that teams write tifos in English even when the language is not English

This is Legia Warsaw in Poland before a game in Europe. My comment about the west is basically because Yorky is known for his agenda and all you need to do is look at his comments in the political threads. Like I said I hate the Saudi regime as much as the next guy, and I don't like what they are doing, but at the same time, the average person there loves the game and has nothing to do with politics. Also from a playing field perspective, they won the Asian cup three times only behind Japan who have won it four times and the Saudi teams won the Asian Champions league 6 times with Al Hilal being the most successful in the competition with 4 titles to their name. Both points aren't mutually exclusive.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: August 3, 2023, 11:21:58 am »
Yeah it is taken from 21-22 season, which had Covid restrictions at the time in Saudi.

Hmm, the average attendance for the Saudi Premier League seems to have leapt from 8,000 (during Covid) to 10,000 last year.

The shame is that the Saudi league, fuelled by all this State money, will impact far greater on authentic Arab leagues with proper clubs (eg Egypt) and not at all on the rest of the world.

But keep on shilling for them mate.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: August 3, 2023, 11:41:29 am »
Yeah it is taken from 21-22 season, which had Covid restrictions at the time in Saudi and again those numbers are no way accurate since they don't announce attendance there.

Don't want people know how shit the attendance is.