Author Topic: The Adam and Lucas partnership.  (Read 40277 times)

Offline MassDriver

• Custom Tit... Shithouse lover... Politically correct and metrosexual cave dweller.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta la victoria siempre
Re: The Adam and Lucas partnership.
« Reply #520 on: November 10, 2011, 08:55:29 am »
Pretty sure their regular midfield three is Lampard, Ramires and Mikel. I think Raul has mainly come off the bench in the league this season.
Nope.

Check out the CFC website. I am pretty certain he has started a majority of the matches. I have been looking at Chelskis matches a bit since he went there.
You will never walk alone , Shanklyboy. RIP.

I am the Eye in the Sky, looking at you, I can read your mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools, I can cheat you blind. Looking at you, I can read your mind

Offline subroc

• cut at you with a clipper? Gas Face given, I beg to differ.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #521 on: November 10, 2011, 08:56:12 am »
I don't think Meireles is a regular starter for Chelsea. I think the likes of Lampard and Ramires have been more crucial in orchestrating their midfield.

Given that he has appeared in 7 games for Chelsea in the league so far as compared to Lampard (10) and Ramires (8), he does not sound like a fringe player at all but a valuable member of the first team. In his first game for Chelsea, it was his through ball that resulted in a backheeled goal.

Here is an article where he explained his forced departure from Liverpool -  http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/raul-meireles-claims-liverpool-forced-transfer-to-chelsea-2353539.html

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #522 on: November 10, 2011, 09:03:29 am »
Fuckinghell, Meireles the fancy-fan being made out to be a cross between Graeme Souness and Frank Rijkaard.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #523 on: November 10, 2011, 09:05:37 am »
doesn't work.

Thats the short answer, and it boils down to Adam for me, not a two-man midfielder, goes missing once the ball goes outside the centre circle in both directions.

Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #524 on: November 10, 2011, 09:06:11 am »
I really do doubt you have been a fan for 30 years... I honestly do (based on your opinions). I deplore anyone who speaks unnecessarily negative words, taking into consideration our clubs fortunes have undergone a significant  transformation in the last 12 months. I honestly can’t see how anyone who genuinely loves the club… and I really mean love, can be so unconstructive? If you look retrospectively into our situation you should be smiling.

So, we played bad against Swansea… so what!!! Kenny has not even been back a year, the team is growing and we will improve as time pass’s by. This was never going to be a quick fix. Folk need to try and remeber what we are about.

There is nothing unnecessary about my words. I voice concerns when they have to be voiced.

Because I support the club, I want to see it succeed and meet its goals which are focused on CL qualification for next season. When the signs that are developing show that the present team is too weak or compromised by structural faults to meet that target in the face of a strong challenge from the other 5 or 6 clubs competing for the same thing, should you keep quiet if you love the club as you say you do?

I could say the opposite to you and doubt your purported love for the club because you do not express the concerns that are surely on you rmind as well but that you are suppressing. You associate love for LFC with unquestning support and cheering them on. That only applies when you are in the stadium cheering on your team. There is no room for doubt then and the fanbase must provide the wall of sound to push the team on to victory. Ther emust be no jeering no matter how bad we play.

But in an internet forum devoted to discussion of liverpool issues, to adopt the same attitude is infantile and irrational for it defeats the very purpose of this forum. In this venue, you show your love for the club by being concerned to talk about difficult topics - difficult because while you want to believe in the team and the management team, there are signs that cannot be ignroed and must be brouight into the open. I could say that to keep quiet in such circumstances is irresponsible and I could deplore such behaviour as nothing short of moral cowardice and cheap supportism. But I won't. So try to think a litle broader and not so narrowly, OK?

However, let me leave you with these analogies to help explain what I mean:-

If your son shows signs that he may have a drug problem, do you have a word with him or do you give him high 5's and tell him good on ya, and ignore the danger signs?

If your spouse looks disinterested in you but suddenly starts dressing up to meet other men, do you probe further or do you sit back and remind her to wear that nice black dress becuse she looks even better in it as she goes out?

If ythe owners are ruinignt he club through piling on debt, do you keep quiet and suppor the club and watch them pillage the accoputns?

« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 09:10:13 am by subroc »

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #525 on: November 10, 2011, 09:08:44 am »
Fuckinghell, Meireles the fancy-fan being made out to be a cross between Graeme Souness and Frank Rijkaard.

Congrats, I was just waiting for the latest RAWK use of the straw man argument where a valid point is lifted out of its context and stretched to absurd and unreasonable lengths by a poster who thinks he is making a telling point when all he is doing is showing he does not really grasp the issues.

Offline NOTBORNIN1982

• and neither is he the best poster on here, not even close in fact. Maybe the 1982nd.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
« Reply #526 on: November 10, 2011, 09:11:41 am »
There is nothing unnecessary about my words. I voice concerns when they have to be voiced.

Because I support the club, I want to see it succeed and meet its goals which are focused on CL qualification for next season. When the signs that are developing show that the present team is too weak or compromised by structural faults to meet that target in the face of a strong challenge from the other 5 or 6 clubs competing for the same thing, should you keep quiet if you love the club as you say you do?

I could say the opposite to you and doubt your purported love for the club because you do not express the concerns that are surely on you rmind as well but that you are suppressing. You associate love for LFC with unquestning support and cheering them on. That only applies when you are in the stadium cheering on your team. There is no room for doubt then and the fanbase must provide the wall of sound to push the team on to victory. Ther emust be no jeering no matter how bad we play.

But in an internet forum devoted to discussion of liverpool issues, to adopt the same attitude is infantile and irrational for it defeats the very purpose of this forum. In this venue, you show your love for the club by being concerned to talk about difficult topics - difficult because while you want to believe in the team and the management team, there are signs that cannot be ignroed and must be brouight into the open. I could say that to keep quiet in such circumstances is irresponsible and I could deplore such behaviour as nothing short of moral cowardice and cheap supportism. But I won't. So try to think a litle broader and not so narrowly, OK?

However, let me leave you with these analogies to help explain what I mean:-

If your son shows signs that he may have a drug problem, do you have a word with him or do you give him high 5's and tell him good on ya, and ignore the danger signs?

If your spouse looks disinterested in you but suddenly starts dressing up to meet other men, do you probe further or do you sit back and remind her to wear that nice black dress becuse she looks even better in it as she goes out?

If ythe owners are ruinignt he club through piling on debt, do you keep quiet and suppor the club and watch them pillage the accoputns?

No need for all that shite. Just manage your expectations love. A bit more luck and we would have been sitting comfortably in the pack... did you expect us to be top?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 09:14:36 am by EST1982 »
"How much do you smoke, sir? Two packs a day, is that right? Pussy. I go through two lighters a day. That's right, two lighters! You're a health nut compared to me."

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #527 on: November 10, 2011, 09:13:11 am »
No need for all that shite. Just manage your expectations love.

Sometimes I think logic is wasted on this forum...

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #528 on: November 10, 2011, 09:20:16 am »
A bit more luck and we would have been sitting comfortably in the pack... did you expect us to be top?

It is not about results. It is about how we look right now and where we are likely to be at the end of the season given our trajectory. I expect us to be building a team that is playing pressing game and pass and move at a high intensity and that is gelling with each other. I expect signings to be made with the requisite skill to actually improve our team performance now and not in the distant future. I expect players to be threatening and to show potential to be great.

Instead, we are going in circles in a way and treading water, and the ones who are supposed to be signed to improve the team are the ones who are most at fault for actually pulling it back. That greatly worries me. Not only are the other top teams looking more convincing than us, but a new competitor Newcastle has now interposed itself between us and the top 4.

We cannot afford to be out of the CL for another season.

Offline NOTBORNIN1982

• and neither is he the best poster on here, not even close in fact. Maybe the 1982nd.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #529 on: November 10, 2011, 09:21:15 am »
Sometimes I think logic is wasted on this forum...

Not been funny pal but your a disgrace. Can't believe the negative shite you have been spewing out on here. None of us are happy with the performance against Swansea but it's not the end of the world. Try not to be fickle, it might help.
"How much do you smoke, sir? Two packs a day, is that right? Pussy. I go through two lighters a day. That's right, two lighters! You're a health nut compared to me."

Offline NOTBORNIN1982

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #530 on: November 10, 2011, 09:22:58 am »
It is not about results. It is about how we look right now and where we are likely to be at the end of the season given our trajectory. I expect us to be building a team that is playing pressing game and pass and move at a high intensity and that is gelling with each other. I expect signings to be made with the requisite skill to actually improve our team performance now and not in the distant future. I expect players to be threatening and to show potential to be great.

Instead, we are going in circles in a way and treading water, and the ones who are supposed to be signed to improve the team are the ones who are most at fault for actually pulling it back. That greatly worries me. Not only are the other top teams looking more convincing than us, but a new competitor Newcastle has now interposed itself between us and the top 4.

We cannot afford to be out of the CL for another season.

Sorry, can't take you seriously ever again.  :wave

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #531 on: November 10, 2011, 09:29:29 am »
Not been funny pal but your a disgrace. Can't believe the negative shite you have been spewing out on here. None of us are happy with the performance against Swansea but it's not the end of the world. Try not to be fickle, it might help.

I am sorry for your own sake that you have so little self-control and adult manners that you cannot talk about issues of the club without insulting another poster and member of this forum. If you cannot distinguish between constructive criticism and mindless negativity nor debate courteously with people who disagree with you, then so be it. I do not have to waste any more of my time to try to reason with you and can just ignore you with a good conscience.

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #532 on: November 10, 2011, 09:30:19 am »
Sorry, can't take you seriously ever again.  :wave

Thankfully I do not sustain myself by daily dollops of your esteem, so I expect I shall manage somehow.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #533 on: November 10, 2011, 09:39:21 am »
the thread appears to have degenerated into meaningless hysteria..
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline NOTBORNIN1982

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #534 on: November 10, 2011, 09:39:38 am »
I am sorry for your own sake that you have so little self-control and adult manners that you cannot talk about issues of the club without insulting another poster and member of this forum. If you cannot distinguish between constructive criticism and mindless negativity nor debate courteously with people who disagree with you, then so be it. I do not have to waste any more of my time to try to reason with you and can just ignore you with a good conscience.

If you think I’m insulting you lad then your apparently not from Liverpool  :lickin I admit I have major issues with people attacking our club when its evidently speculative and exaggerated.

We are 3pts off 4th (top 4 being our ultimate aim) so I really can't understand the negative vibes. Like I have already said, a little more luck and we would have been happily positioned. No need to go way over board with all this microanalysis.

Offline ziggyy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wums should remain underground...
« Reply #535 on: November 10, 2011, 09:42:24 am »
the thread appears to have degenerated into meaningless hysteria..

Reina
Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique
Kuyt  Subroc EST1982 Maxi
           Bellamy
                 Suarez

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #536 on: November 10, 2011, 09:53:55 am »
If you think I’m insulting you lad then your apparently not from Liverpool  :lickin I admit I have major issues with people attacking our club when its evidently speculative and exaggerated.

We are 3pts off 4th (top 4 being our ultimate aim) so I really can't understand the negative vibes. Like I have already said, a little more luck and we would have been happily positioned. No need to go way over board with all this microanalysis.

I will try one more time. I am not "attacking our club". I am not the only one who is concerned about our disjointed play at the moment, so there is no speculation and exaggeration involved. There are real issues of concern and I am discussing them in a reasonable manner and I am laying out the issues in a manner that invites discussion. I bring them out because I care about the club, as do you.

The stakes are simple - while we are currently 6th, we actually have 5 other teams who could easily get the top positions above us at the end of the season as 4 of those 5 have squads that are stronger than ours and the 5th one (Arsenal) has the capacity to improve further to supersede us especially if they spend big in December as they have the funds to do so. There is a 6th interloper who is not deeply respected by you (newcastle) but who should not be taken lightly either. We have a very tough fight to even take 4th and the odds can be said to be against us. In that context, our present struggles take on additional significance and urgency.

It is not about what city we come from - it is about the way we are brought up and the way we communicate to other adults. I am accustomed to communicating courteously with others and treating them with respect. I expect the same from everyone else and the rules of this forum more importantly expect you to behave in the similar manner. So I do not think you should feel free to call other people's posts "shite" nor to call them a "disgrace" on this forum. And before you call me "lad" again, if you really were "EST1982" then I think I should be the one calling you "lad"...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 09:57:55 am by subroc »

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #537 on: November 10, 2011, 10:36:20 am »
                                  Reina
                     Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique
Maxi; 'Logical and rational Subroc' ;'Pain in the arse Wind Up Merchant'; Bellamy               
                            Kuyt Suarez

Fer fucks sake Ziggyy can we have the correct names - especially the two centre mids-  and also the players in the positions that work best. Kuyt up front alongside Luis. Bellamy wide left.

:)

Offline ziggyy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #538 on: November 10, 2011, 12:43:32 pm »
Fer fucks sake Ziggyy can we have the correct names - especially the two centre mids-  and also the players in the positions that work best. Kuyt up front alongside Luis. Bellamy wide left.

:)

I think Kuyt complements Johnson's attacking instinct much better. Don't think Maxi tracks back as well as our Kuyt....

Did consider putting creative AM and destructive DM for the CM roles;)

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #539 on: November 10, 2011, 12:50:40 pm »
Some good posts on here by Timbo's Goals, Subroc and Kopite B205 that challenge some real issues we have.

Selling Meireles was a mistake and I said that at the time as well as a few others amidst the "he's shit anyway" posts and to be honest, the club have fucked up. Strengthening a rival and weakening our own midfield is madness. What Meireles brought to the team was a bigger influence to the play, a goal threat and with Lucas, formed a great partnership that controlled the possession and composition of the match - something we have lacked since. Adam is a downgrade. To me, it doesn't make sense when you have someone at the club already who is settled asking for a pay rise to spend money on bringing in a replacement and especially a player who is nowhere near Meireles' quality.

Meireles kept possession, played it to the feet of the strikers and ran on to get into the box. More often than not, I've seen Adam try the Hollywood passes as his first option as it seems to me he's trying too hard to make it into Anfield folklore and in the newspapers.

The supposed forced play to try get them into form is something I've wondered. After the Swansea match, Kenny was livid. I can't remember who suggested it but he should be culling the players who haven't performed and set up to a formation and personnel that worked for him last season to get the results.

The goals argument isn't valid. "If we'd have scored them..." is a load of crap. Only two players have been guilty of missing the majority of chances which is Suarez and to a lesser extent, Carroll. That says enough to me when we had Kuyt, Meireles and Maxi sharing the goal scoring burden last season.

Adam should be a squad player. I don't know what improvements we're going to make in January or how we're gonna set up when Gerrard is back (my god, I hope it isn't a 4-2-3-1 with Gerrard holding) but nothing about Adam suggests to me that he should be in the first team.
http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #540 on: November 10, 2011, 12:55:58 pm »
I love the way all these critics moan about the ones that hold them to account and ask them to elaborate on their negativity so soon into a season, is there an element of panic in their posts is there an element of well didnt want player X so i will view him as a mistake because i know better than the coaching staff.

There is certainly no element of giving the team and the players time to gel in many posts in this thread, though there are inflated estimations about the talent of an explayer, there is no constructive discussion except forthe person who wants to see Adam operating in a three not a two totally valid point really. even if some chose to misconstrue it as meaning Adam needed extra help because he isnt good enough to be in our team.

We are unless you have forgotten in a better position on and off the pitch these days than twelve months ago, the team is in a definate period of transition with 5 new signings and long injuries to key players to allow for, I would also suggest that so far Kenny has never been able to select his preferred team given the injuries to Agger and Stevie, Glen/Kelly this season.

Yet despite all of this our illustrias fanbase decides that if a midfield partnership doesnt develop in less than 10 games together in the prem it must be doomed to failure and only one of the duo are culpable for that fact. Yeah sound reasoning there very logical from probably the same crew who binned off Lucas three to four years ago,only to see the light and get instant amnesia. If all else fails they go for abuse and sanctimonious comments to a guy who has probably seen more upheavals at this club  and which for him and I makes this not even an issue to be bothered about yet.

the league is a marathon not a sprint!

All est is saying is patience is required and not that everything is running smoothly perhaps that is easier for us older fans we know it worked before whereas the current generation who have never seen a title won by us are a little more anxious and therefore lack the trust and belief in the club,players,management,owners to get it right eventually.

What i object to is the way this could have been an interesting thread  in do we change the formation but it got hijacked by the ones with the multitude of sticks to beat Adam with!

Also this thread has been hijacked by the ones that believe Raul is a major loss, i do not think he is and dont really care now he is gone,  but that should be in another thread. Out of the two the one I would have wanted to stay here was Albert but again that is for another thread.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 12:59:55 pm by geoffstrong »
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline NOTBORNIN1982

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #541 on: November 10, 2011, 12:58:31 pm »
I love the way all these critics moan about the ones that hold them to account and ask them to elaborate on their negativity so soon into a season, is their an element of panic in their posts is there an element of well didnt want player X so i will view him as a mistake because i know better than the coaching staff.
There is certainly no element of giving the team and the players time to gel in many posts in this thread,though there are inflated estimations about the talent of an explayer, there is no constructive discussion except forthe person who wants to see Adam operating in a three not a two totally valid point really. even if some chose to misconstrue it as meaning Adam needed extra help because he isnt good enough to be in our team.
We are unless you have forgotten in a better position on and off the pitch these days than twelve months ago, the team is in a definate period of transition with 5 new signings and long injuries to key players to allow for, I would also suggest that so far Kenny has never been able to select his preferred team given the injuries to Agger and Stevie, Glen/Kelly this season.

Yet despite all of this our illustrias fanbase decides that if a midfield partnership doesnt develop in less than 10 games together in the prem it must be doomed to failure and only one of the duo are culpable for that fact. Yeah sound reasoning there very logical from probably the same crew who binned off Lucas three to four years ago,only to see the light and get instant amnesia. If all else fails they go for abuse and sanctimonious comments to a guy who has probably seen more upheavals at this club which makes this not even an issue to be bothered about.

All est is saying is patience is required and not that everything is running smoothly perhaps that is easier for us older fans we know it worked before whereas the current generation who have never seen a title won by us are a little more anxious and therefore lack the trust and belief in the club,players,management,owners to get it right eventually.

What i object to is the way this could have been an interesting thread  in do we change the formation but it got hijacked by the ones with the multitude of sticks to beat Adam with!

Also this thread has been hijacked by the ones that believe Raul is a major loss, i do not think he is and dont really care now he is gone,  but that should be in another thread. Out of the two the one I would have wanted to stay here was Albert but again that is for another thread.

:champ

Offline ziggyy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #542 on: November 10, 2011, 12:59:38 pm »
I was just thinking about this today.   When Rafa got kicked out, we had a possible midfield trio of Lucas, Gerrard & Aquilani (shhh...). We just needed another player or two to beef up CM and I believe Raul with one of those identified by Rafa (yes... it wasn't the owl).   

Even when the Owl left, we still had the 4 of them together and like many, I don't understand why the club couldn't wait till Jan to loan/sell Aquilani & Raul if they really want to leave.  Right now, with Gerrard out (and he's been out for quite sometime now), our midfield options look really weak again...

Offline NOTBORNIN1982

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #543 on: November 10, 2011, 01:01:20 pm »
I will try one more time. I am not "attacking our club". I am not the only one who is concerned about our disjointed play at the moment, so there is no speculation and exaggeration involved. There are real issues of concern and I am discussing them in a reasonable manner and I am laying out the issues in a manner that invites discussion. I bring them out because I care about the club, as do you.

The stakes are simple - while we are currently 6th, we actually have 5 other teams who could easily get the top positions above us at the end of the season as 4 of those 5 have squads that are stronger than ours and the 5th one (Arsenal) has the capacity to improve further to supersede us especially if they spend big in December as they have the funds to do so. There is a 6th interloper who is not deeply respected by you (newcastle) but who should not be taken lightly either. We have a very tough fight to even take 4th and the odds can be said to be against us. In that context, our present struggles take on additional significance and urgency.

It is not about what city we come from - it is about the way we are brought up and the way we communicate to other adults. I am accustomed to communicating courteously with others and treating them with respect. I expect the same from everyone else and the rules of this forum more importantly expect you to behave in the similar manner. So I do not think you should feel free to call other people's posts "shite" nor to call them a "disgrace" on this forum. And before you call me "lad" again, if you really were "EST1982" then I think I should be the one calling you "lad"...

Sorry, I’ve just examined quite a few of your previous posts, it's apparent that you’re generally negative person, if I had of known that then maybe things would have been different.

(EST1982 Is a typographical error relating to the founding of Liverpool F.C  and nothing to do with my age)

Timbo, our appreciation for Peter Falk forever binds us in comradeship, even if you think im a nob. I can live with that.

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #544 on: November 10, 2011, 01:03:29 pm »

I get what you're saying but you mention where we were 12 months ago and that we're in transition. You're right. Last year we were talking about off the field issues and now we're talking about stuff that matters which is the on field concerns.

Adam and Lucas playing together in a 4-4-2 is a major concern. It is also a concern that we lost a player that everyone spent the summer debating whether they'd rather keep him or Aquilani. We're still talking about losing those players so obviously that means something's wrong. Torres' departure was nipped in the bud pretty sharpish because Suarez replaced him very quickly. We haven't replaced the quality of Meireles and Aquilani and that's been an ongoing problem for us in recent seasons in regards to our midfield.

Fans are getting anxious. It's the same as last season when other teams weren't performing but we were performing worse. We've had a few opportunities to climb the table but we've not taken them. Of course people are gonna talk about the concerns and reasons why not.

I'm a patient person but I can't speak for the rest of us. As I've said many times before, we have the squad foundations now and I'm looking forward (perhaps too much) to see what improvements we can make in January.
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Offline ziggyy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #545 on: November 10, 2011, 01:11:36 pm »

I hear what you are saying and in general, most Liverpool fans are patient... 20years or so while our little perch got taken away from us will make us like that...

But this year is different I feel.  I think it is imperative that we get at least 4th. CL football has become so important, not only for the money it brings in but also to attract quality players. 

Man City has bought their way in, Manu, Chekski are still strong, if not stronger in the case of Chekski, and Arsenal and Tottenham are consolidating and will challenge for the 4th spot.  If we miss out on another year, it makes it harder for us to catch up again.

Kenny had a pretty good team going late last season and I thought he should have build on it rather than introduce all the new players and changing the style of play to try to fit some of these players back. We don't really have the luxury of time for trial and error and at the moment.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #546 on: November 10, 2011, 01:16:38 pm »
I get what you're saying but you mention where we were 12 months ago and that we're in transition. You're right. Last year we were talking about off the field issues and now we're talking about stuff that matters which is the on field concerns.

Adam and Lucas playing together in a 4-4-2 is a major concern. It is also a concern that we lost a player that everyone spent the summer debating whether they'd rather keep him or Aquilani. We're still talking about losing those players so obviously that means something's wrong. Torres' departure was nipped in the bud pretty sharpish because Suarez replaced him very quickly. We haven't replaced the quality of Meireles and Aquilani and that's been an ongoing problem for us in recent seasons in regards to our midfield.

Fans are getting anxious. It's the same as last season when other teams weren't performing but we were performing worse. We've had a few opportunities to climb the table but we've not taken them. Of course people are gonna talk about the concerns and reasons why not.

I'm a patient person but I can't speak for the rest of us. As I've said many times before, we have the squad foundations now and I'm looking forward (perhaps too much) to see what improvements we can make in January.

ok a few things last year the main concern was off the field quickly followed by the dross on the field so right now are we in a  better position in the league than last year are we further in the cup than last year, and even when drawing  we are playing at times football you could only dream about with Roy's team?

The club is not still talking about losing Raul and Albert, the majority of fans I know are more interested in bedding in the new players than living in the past only a small but keen to post group of people with some axe to grind about letting those two go are talking about them in here, but not where i sit in the ground or around my drinking buddies we are looking to the future because you cannot alter the past.

Even the most rose tinted supporters can see we are not the finished article yet but many have seen enough in flashes like me to know that when this team clicks it will have the making of a very effective unit for a few years to come. So basically dont judge a team too early would be my view on things.
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline Matt8Pie

• Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #547 on: November 10, 2011, 01:29:06 pm »
Even the most rose tinted supporters can see we are not the finished article yet but many have seen enough in flashes like me to know that when this team clicks it will have the making of a very effective unit for a few years to come. So basically dont judge a team too early would be my view on things.

True, and I agree with that. The issue at hand really does need addressing though. Adam and Lucas don't work together in a 4-4-2 and I don't see any signs of it working, whereas I've seen signs of Carroll and Suarez linking up well together to have hope for that partnership.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #548 on: November 10, 2011, 01:30:35 pm »
Right so this is a thread about Adam-Lucas partnership? Cant all be negative right!

Id like to say that the positive side of this partnership is that they have shown promise in the most part when played together.....as in they are not completely overrun for the majority of everygame!!
they have definitive roles with Lucas the "midfield destroyer" and Adam the playmaker.....and the mix-match of duties can only grow the more they are played together.....and the less Adam has to try and prove his is worthy of a CM role at LFC i reckon

not working? ok sell them both and buy Kaka  ;D
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #549 on: November 10, 2011, 01:39:04 pm »
as much as ilike downing in this formation
 for me it is 433 with adam and stevie each side of lucas  and kuyt/craig and Suarez each side of Carroll, but others will have different ideas including Kenny. that is what is good about football .

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #550 on: November 10, 2011, 01:44:10 pm »
I think that whilst Adam is probably a better player than Spearing, a Spearing-Lucas partnership is a far better combination. Watch this video of Lucas' performance vs Fulham last year:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cumlpc9Z4oM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Cumlpc9Z4oM</a>

Note the numerous times where Lucas tackles a player, or presses him into a mistake, after which Spearing completes the job, either by pressing/ tackling the next player or picking up the loose ball. I'm sure you would see the same things from Lucas in a video of Spearing's performance. As Adam does little defensive work, this isn't happening at the moment, so that when Lucas does force a mistake, the opposition are able to recover and maintain possession. The video also shows that Lucas is more able to join the attack when he is playing with Spearing, as he knows that if he gets caught out, Jay is there to cover him. This is not the case when he plays with Adam.

3:17, that was Jay?
"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez

Offline Buzz Killington

• Winner of RAWK's sexiest adolescent, as awarded by the Rt. Hon. CJ Parker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #551 on: November 10, 2011, 01:50:08 pm »
3:17, that was Jay?
No, it's Lucas. You can even hear the commentator in the video say so.

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #552 on: November 10, 2011, 01:53:02 pm »
No, it's Lucas. You can even hear the commentator in the video say so.

cracking long pass
"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez

Offline Roy of the rovers

• TORY Supporter - proof being he voted for Blair...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #553 on: November 10, 2011, 02:52:53 pm »
Charlie Adam creates chances...

http://ohyoubeauty.blogspot.com/

After 11 games, Adam's created 26 chances, more than any other in the Liverpool squad. Suarez and Enrique on 20, Downing with 17, and Lucas with 10 are the only other players in double figures. Adam played 35 games last season; currently averaging 2.36 chances created per game, Adam's on pace for 83 chances created this season if he plays the same number of matches. Which is 19 more than his total for Blackpool last season. And with Downing, Suarez, Henderson and (sometimes) Gerrard involved, he's not taking every set play either.

We can argue whether Liverpool would be better in a different formation, with support from two other "orthodox" central midfielders rather than the 4-2-2-2/4-3-3 half measure that has Henderson often coming inside. Or whether Spearing's a better partner for Lucas in the formation Liverpool's using. Those are questions for management. However hesitant I am (and you should be) to criticize Dalglish's evolutionary team after less than a third of the campaign gone, they're valid debates.

But the main reason Liverpool bought Adam from Blackpool was to create chances. And Charlie Adam creates chances.

Offline Cadno

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #554 on: November 10, 2011, 03:01:42 pm »
Charlie Adam creates chances...

http://ohyoubeauty.blogspot.com/

Be very curious to see how many of them are from open play and not corners or free kicks.  That blog tries to brush it under the carpet by saying that Adam does not.take that many because we have other players but I'd still love to see the. Breakdown
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"  - Albert Einstein

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain(Was talking about H&G)

"When you can't walk, you crawl. When you can't crawl, you get a friend to carry you" - Firefly

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #555 on: November 10, 2011, 03:33:31 pm »
I love the way all these critics moan about the ones that hold them to account and ask them to elaborate on their negativity so soon into a season, is there an element of panic in their posts is there an element of well didnt want player X so i will view him as a mistake because i know better than the coaching staff.

There is certainly no element of giving the team and the players time to gel in many posts in this thread, though there are inflated estimations about the talent of an explayer, there is no constructive discussion except forthe person who wants to see Adam operating in a three not a two totally valid point really. even if some chose to misconstrue it as meaning Adam needed extra help because he isnt good enough to be in our team.

Yet despite all of this our illustrias fanbase decides that if a midfield partnership doesnt develop in less than 10 games together in the prem it must be doomed to failure and only one of the duo are culpable for that fact. Yeah sound reasoning there very logical from probably the same crew who binned off Lucas three to four years ago,only to see the light and get instant amnesia. If all else fails they go for abuse and sanctimonious comments to a guy who has probably seen more upheavals at this club  and which for him and I makes this not even an issue to be bothered about yet.

the league is a marathon not a sprint!

talk about generally missing the entire point of an internet forum.

Both you and EST1892 should just leave this thread. We are going to discuss the pros, cons, and everything in between about the midfield. Not a one of us would vocalize dissent or negativity on matchday. We would should our support.

So stop trying to create some sort of intervention and let us continue our discussion.
http://redsacrossthepond.blogspot.com/

My LFC blog. If you read it, please leave me any feedback regardless of whether it is critical or complimentary.

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #556 on: November 10, 2011, 03:38:29 pm »
talk about generally missing the entire point of an internet forum.

Both you and EST1892 should just leave this thread. We are going to discuss the pros, cons, and everything in between about the midfield. Not a one of us would vocalize dissent or negativity on matchday. We would should our support.

So stop trying to create some sort of intervention and let us continue our discussion.

you and a few others on here think you are all experts but you couldnt even run an ale house side.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #557 on: November 10, 2011, 03:43:19 pm »
you and a few others on here think you are all experts but you couldnt even run an ale house side.

I always thought football was a game of opinions?
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline SRAWL

• 'Spicegirls Rule All! Wooooh! Lulz.'
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #558 on: November 10, 2011, 03:49:43 pm »

Ah but if you have the wrong opinion.... ;)
"We can win 4-0 but I want to win by eight. I don't like to lose. I never accept defeat". Luis Suarez

robbie9fowler robbie fowler
If these qualify now I'm gonna do the moonwalk bollocko from Liverpool to London blindfolded

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #559 on: November 10, 2011, 03:52:37 pm »

no its a game where 22 players kick a bag of wind around a field, i think your getting it mixed up with politics.