Author Topic: Bars/Clubs in town  (Read 345293 times)

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Bars/Clubs in town
« Reply #600 on: August 10, 2012, 11:43:51 am »
Only ever been in there once.

It's just one of those boozers thats cheap, and consequently is always full of drunks and alcy's.

It opens at something like 7.00 or 7.30 AM as well  :o

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #601 on: August 10, 2012, 12:00:12 pm »

It's just one of those boozers thats cheap, and consequently is always full of drunks and alcy's.

Talking of early drinking i was off last Thursday and went to get me hair cut at 9:30am, walked by the Welkin and there was this old couple who had an empty bottle of Red on the table and were halway through another. They looked very respectable not tramps or nothing. My new hero's.

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
« Reply #602 on: August 10, 2012, 06:52:30 pm »

It's only £2 for a bottle and it's ok after the match if you're going in town.

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
« Reply #603 on: August 10, 2012, 06:59:24 pm »
Once went in the Penny Farthing, the original Star Wars bar and a bloke came in with his wife, he went to the bar and she sat down and started colouring in a book with her felts. :lmao

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #604 on: August 10, 2012, 07:04:01 pm »
Once went in the Penny Farthing, the original Star Wars bar and a bloke came in with his wife, he went to the bar and she sat down and started colouring in a book with her felts. :lmao

brilliant  ;D
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #605 on: August 11, 2012, 02:26:09 pm »

We went in there one day last year, there was a 6-foot tall transvestite standing at the bar and we were given the Spanish inquisition by a crackhead out on the picnic benches.

This was at about 2 o'clock in the afternoon on a weekday.

Ale was cheap as, though.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #606 on: August 11, 2012, 02:56:43 pm »
Many, many moons ago (about 15+ years) I used to regularly drink in the Penny farthing, every Saturday.

It used to be quite funny some Saturdays as it was like the Generation Game.

The smack-heads would go on the rob in the precinct, and would come around the pub selling all kinds of shit that they'd just robbed.  Mostly clothes still on hangers etc, but all kinds of shite would come in the door.

Do you all remember the conveyor belt on the generation game, where all the prizes come past, then the contestants then get to keep everything that they can remember?

When I say it was like the Generation Game, I'm not shitting you.

Within a couple of hours, half a dozen druggies would come in offering......... Batteries......a huge joint of pork.....womens jeans.....a set of kitchen knives......childerens t shirts.......bars of chocolate..... first aid kit...... puppies(real live dog).......box of brand new adidas trainees......more womens clothes.......packs of plasters........

.... and this went on all day.  Some really, really random stuff comes through the door of that place, that the shoplifing bag heads have just nicked.

The place was nothing if not entertaining, even if it was a shithole. And it was, back then, before they tarted it up.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 03:04:17 pm by Big Red Richie »

Offline rednile

• Last one out
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 18 LT , 5 EC, 7 FAC, 8 LC, 3 UEFA,
« Reply #607 on: August 13, 2012, 10:18:36 am »
Don't normally go out to watch Liverpool games in pubs or bars , so has anyone got any suggestions for a decent bar to watch the WBA game ?
Spent sometimes in stormy weather                               

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #608 on: August 13, 2012, 01:37:53 pm »
Don't normally go out to watch Liverpool games in pubs or bars , so has anyone got any suggestions for a decent bar to watch the WBA game ?
In the City Centre?  What do you like in a pub?  Apart from the barmaid.

Quite a few places on Leece Street if you like decent ale or there's some places up James Street if you prefer it cheap and raucous.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Chronic

• Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be heroes.
« Reply #609 on: August 13, 2012, 02:27:41 pm »
The dugout is a good place to watch the match, right outside Lime street.

http://www.thebestof.co.uk/local/liverpool/business-guide/feature/the-dugout-bar/16977

Here's a few places that have the footy on

http://www.livesportsbars.tv/bars/liverpool/
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 02:29:37 pm by Chronic »
Loves getting pissed and shagging brasses

• Kopite
« Reply #610 on: August 13, 2012, 03:23:39 pm »
I can't wait for the footy to start so I can get out for some daytime drinking.

I've fallen in love with the Fly in the Loaf over the past few months, it will be my new spot, although the only football I've ever watched in it was the Portugal v Spain game.

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #611 on: August 13, 2012, 04:06:11 pm »

why is the hare and hounds on that list.
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline rednile

• Last one out
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #612 on: August 13, 2012, 04:08:20 pm »
In the City Centre?  What do you like in a pub?  Apart from the barmaid.

Quite a few places on Leece Street if you like decent ale or there's some places up James Street if you prefer it cheap and raucous.

Yeah in the City Centre mate , im easily pleased when it comes to bars to watch a game in - as long as it isn't a total shit hole :)

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #613 on: August 13, 2012, 04:15:04 pm »
Yeah in the City Centre mate , im easily pleased when it comes to bars to watch a game in - as long as it isn't a total shit hole :)

to be honest there is hundreds.

Ye old man, rigbys, oh jsut abotu everywhere really.

Offline rednile

• Last one out
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #614 on: August 13, 2012, 04:16:27 pm »
I can't wait for the footy to start so I can get out for some daytime drinking.

I've fallen in love with the Fly in the Loaf over the past few months, it will be my new spot, although the only football I've ever watched in it was the Portugal v Spain game.

Fly in the Loaf is good shout , i like it in there but do they have the 3pm games on ? Anyone ?

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #615 on: August 13, 2012, 04:18:14 pm »
Fly in the Loaf is good shout , i like it in there but do they have the 3pm games on ? Anyone ?

not sure about that place, but ye old man will have it on.

Offline rednile

• Last one out
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #616 on: August 13, 2012, 04:20:47 pm »

Sound mate , nice one . Just wasn't sure how many ale houses had the game on , sounds like we'll have plenty to choose from .

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #617 on: August 13, 2012, 04:36:15 pm »
Sound mate , nice one . Just wasn't sure how many ale houses had the game on , sounds like we'll have plenty to choose from .

yeah, you wont struggle, sure the hogs head has it on as well, its changed its name now though.

• Kopite
« Reply #618 on: August 13, 2012, 05:53:46 pm »

Where's Ye Old Man at?

• Kopite
« Reply #619 on: August 13, 2012, 05:54:19 pm »

That's what I'm doubting.

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #620 on: August 13, 2012, 06:02:06 pm »
Where's Ye Old Man at?

facing scissorkicks, just off Dale street.

got the name wrong ithink, ye hole in ye wall after a quick check on google.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oneterry/4923099866/

• Kopite
« Reply #621 on: August 13, 2012, 06:16:41 pm »
facing scissorkicks, just off Dale street.

got the name wrong ithink, ye hole in ye wall after a quick check on google.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oneterry/4923099866/

Ah yes yes, beside the Lady of Mann.  Is it good in there?  Never been in it, been to the Lady of Mann's beer garden a few times though, it's decent.

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #622 on: August 13, 2012, 06:17:31 pm »
i have only ever been in to watch the match, its ok like. but always has the games on.

• Kopite
« Reply #623 on: August 13, 2012, 06:22:13 pm »
Sound, good man.  Might try it this weekend.

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #624 on: August 13, 2012, 06:22:47 pm »
Sound, good man.  Might try it this weekend.

yeah, i might be in there watching it. or might not.

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #625 on: August 13, 2012, 09:18:14 pm »
Hopefully The Lion will have it on.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline redforlife

• For future reference an equals sign looks like this: =
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #626 on: August 14, 2012, 06:13:37 am »
Cross Keys off Old Hall St will have it on.
Didi Hamann

In the corridors and changing rooms of Anfield I met many people - the great, the talented, the legendary.  I know that I only met one genius.  He was a small, smiling man with a neatly clipped beard.  His name was Rafael Benitez.

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #627 on: August 17, 2012, 12:10:07 pm »
And another one (or several - depending on what they own)  bites the dust.

MORE than 100 staff at city bars located in buildings owned by property firm Concert Steps face losing their jobs after the company’s assets were taken over by receivers.

Bailiffs arrived at the Koco bar, on the corner of Concert Square yesterday, to remove goods and chain up the building.

It is not known how many buildings in the area have been taken back by London-based Jorden Salata. on the instructions of the Irish Bank Resolution Corporation.

But it is understood Concert Steps owns around 20 properties in the Ropewalks area which have now been taken over by the Mayfair-based receivers.

Concert Steps Ltd is partly owned by city property developer Max Stone, who played a major role in the regeneration of the Ropewalks.

The sudden closure of the bar last night – ahead of an expected rush of celebrating A-Level students – was a massive blow for staff at Koco.

Today, well-placed sources said that news of what was happening had been scarce since the receivers were appointed on June 11 this year.

Records lodged with Companies House only reveal that the receivership relates to “part of the property of the company”, but it is not known exactly how many buildings are affected.

A source at the club said: “We’ve heard absolutely nothing from the receivers since June. We were trying to negotiate a new lease with the Irish Bank and the receivers, but apparently they were not interested in anything we had to offer.

“There are about 90 staff working here, and as of today it’s closed down for good.

“Tonight was supposed to be a massive night with the A-Level results, but now it’s not happening.”

Developer Mr Stone has been a constant presence on the Ropewalks scene, both through Concert Steps and his other company, Frenson.

He was previously involved in the notorious Charterhouse deal with the post-Militant Liverpool council, which in the early 1990s, strapped for cash, sold an estate of 309 properties in the Ropewalks area to the company.

But, when Charterhouse collapsed in 1992, owing the council £3m, Mr Stone’s company Frenson bought the estate from the receivers for £5m, understood to be significantly less than its total value.

Mr Stone, who was a shareholder and director of Charterhouse, clashed with the council in 2007 over the Scandinavia Hotel, near Chinatown, which it owned and was the subject of rival bids.

He said at the time that the council’s offer of a £600,000 compulsory purchase for the building Frenson owned was “derisory”.

The normally outspoken Mr Stone did not wish to talk to the ECHO about Concert Steps, according to staff at the Gambier Terrace offices of Frenson.

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2012/08/17/receivers-move-in-on-liverpool-bars-as-banks-reclaim-assets-held-by-company-part-owned-by-developer-max-stone-100252-31640870/#ixzz23nhhxzH3

Offline Giz a Gobble

• Scouse Turkey that's hard to swallow.....
  • Main Stander
  • JUSTICE FOR THE 97.
« Reply #628 on: August 17, 2012, 02:23:29 pm »
Interesting....I wonder which other buildings are involved. It's the last thing the Ropewalks area needs.

Offline AnfieldIron

• Water Like a Stone. Local laundry service ...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #629 on: August 17, 2012, 07:51:26 pm »
Me mate reckons that Rileys will show the match tomorrow? Never known them to show 3 o'clock games before though?

• Kopite
« Reply #630 on: August 17, 2012, 08:26:37 pm »
The Picture House has a board outside saying they're showing the game.

Don't know what it'd be like in there, there are always a crowd of eejits about it no matter what time of the day.

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #631 on: August 20, 2012, 12:59:33 am »
I went to Revolution at the Albert Dock on Thursday night and got charged £4.30 for a 330ml bottle of Peroni. Absolute scandal how any bar can charge that despite the location in the city. That was the cheapest drink by the way - A vodka/redbull was £6.50! One to avoid unless you have money to burn.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline Cesar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #632 on: August 20, 2012, 11:25:08 am »
if you get yourself a revolution card (about 3 quid I think) you can get pints of Becks for about £2.25 in there. Also on Monday all the meals are 2 for 1... just a matter of going at the right times :)

Offline poberto_baggio

• Champion of the homeless and downtrodden. A working class hero.
  • Main Stander
« Reply #633 on: August 23, 2012, 10:15:44 am »
i used to go to newz / mosquito alot in my younger days ( when it was good before all the divvies moved in on them ). Mosquito now seems to have turned into a bar full with groups of black lads ??

now i normally just go to santa chups and then onto garlands at 1.30 / 2.

Offline tbonejones

• Dr. Doolittle
  • Legacy Fan
  • We'll be coming down the road...
« Reply #634 on: August 30, 2012, 11:49:13 am »
Can anyone recommend somewhere to go for a few drinks after the game tonight? Four of us, looking for a half decent but cheap night! Thanks!
Journo: ''So, let me get this right, train, coach, train, plane.''
Rafa: ''No, coach first because we will not be walking to the train station.''

Don't Buy The Sun - www.dontbuythesun.co.uk

It was poodle. She was rocking a fucking poodle to sleep.

Offline RedRedTom

• Knows how to get you there. Finding his thrills on Denmark Hill
  • Legacy Fan
  • Luis Garcia, he drinks sangria
« Reply #635 on: September 2, 2012, 11:16:49 pm »
Has anyone been to The Barcelona on Renshaw Street since it relaunched?  An old friend/college of mine bought the venue and is running it now, and not living in Liverpool anymore its hard to get a sense of what the buzz is (or isn't).  :'(
Luis Garcia... tries his luck........

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #636 on: September 2, 2012, 11:19:29 pm »
Has anyone been to The Barcelona on Renshaw Street since it relaunched?  An old friend/college of mine bought the venue and is running it now, and not living in Liverpool anymore its hard to get a sense of what the buzz is (or isn't).  :'(

its just a small moody boozer now isnt it, not the same as the Barcelona it used to be, a big club.

Offline RedRedTom

• Knows how to get you there. Finding his thrills on Denmark Hill
  • Legacy Fan
  • Luis Garcia, he drinks sangria
« Reply #637 on: September 3, 2012, 08:33:08 am »
Think it's been relaunched as more of a bar, kind of a cross between Mojo and the the Shipping Forecast with the emphasis they're putting on the live music.
Luis Garcia... tries his luck........

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #638 on: September 3, 2012, 08:49:21 am »
To be honest I've got no idea why they're still calling it The Barcelona, especially if what you've written above is true. It will just lead people to associate it with the old Barcelona which was a horrible, "scouse house" sort of place. I went past it twice on Friday night - the first at about 9.45pm it was full of about 30 lads in stag do t-shirts - I'd automatically avoid that sort of gaff, and the second time at about 11.30pm it was almost totally empty.

Offline DG

• Killjoy who loves himself.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lovern
« Reply #639 on: September 3, 2012, 07:38:57 pm »
Was to Flanagans apple for the first time last night, sort of always walked past it, and I thought it was fantastic if you like decent live-bands. They had two on stage last night, can't remember the name of the first but the second was a duo called Decoy and they were brilliant. Quite well packed for a sunday night as well. Was a good backup for the liverpool which was clogged with like fifteen girls having something they called a "divorce party". which apparently is standing on tables making yourself look silly. couldn't stand a minute of it.