Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Álisson Ramsés Becker
« Last post by Draex on Today at 05:17:56 pm »
I love how Ali is so freaking good he's allowed to chose his own coach to have a job at the club :D
News and Current Affairs / Re: Dog Attacks
« Last post by Bobsackamano on Today at 05:17:16 pm »
Is that true? Are there now statistically less on the street or is it a case of people not registering because they are afraid they will be targetted if they are every banned, or perhaps can't afford to have them registered, chipped and neutered?

I did read that pet insurance is harder to get for these dogs and if they aren't registered, it's virtually impossible to get insurance for them. Which sounds great for the long-term safety of people but in the mean time, it's worrying that these dogs might get out of control due to owners not being able to tend to them properly or treat them properly if they are ill or in pain.

I also have visions/concerns of owners getting freaked out by recent tragic incidents and abandoning them, and the streets are suddenly rife with stray XL bullies on the loose!

It's only anecdotal however I run a lot around south Liverpool and for years I've avoided running through certain parks early in the morning as I'm nervous about dogs like these and I could guarantee there would be a few about off the lead. Recently however I've started running through some of these places again and have not encountered any off the lead.

There was one absolute dipshit of a fella who was always riding a bike in Sefton park with 2 of these beasts off the lead however I've not seen him in ages, his dogs had killed a swan and seriously injured another couple of dogs. Im assuming he's either in prison or had his dogs taken off him. Or both.
Well worth a bump I think.
Infected blood inquiry: Another state failure – will things ever change?
Chris Mason

Victims and campaigners stand outside Central Hall in Westminster with banner of dead victims in the infected blood inquiry.

For decade after decade, from one government to the next, some Conservative, some Labour - failure.

A picture is painted of a rigid, inflexible, even inhuman state conspiring, collectively, to deny not only justice, but truth.

And it went on for generations.

The report is candid: there was a cover-up.

“Not in the sense of a handful of people plotting in an orchestrated conspiracy to mislead, but in a way that was more subtle, more pervasive and more chilling in its implications.

"To save face and to save expense, there has been a hiding of much of the truth,” it says.

So widespread was the failure, no one individual, department or institution can be held accountable.

So dispersed are those responsible, across time, politics, the civil service and medicine, each can rightly point to countless others.

Blame spread, accountability avoided.

And the net result was year after year of stasis, the initial injustice made all the worse by a collective unwillingness to acknowledge it, let alone address it.

You might seek solace in hoping this is isolated.

But I have reported from Westminster for nearly 20 years.

And this feels wearily, depressingly familiar.

I will never forget the summer of 2010.

It was mid-June and I was outside the Guildhall in Londonderry in Northern Ireland.

In that square in Derry, hundreds of faces stare up at a giant screen, showing the House of Commons.

As the then Prime Minister David Cameron apologises for the events on Bloody Sunday in 1972, a huge cheer erupts.

Mr, now Lord, Cameron said the government was “deeply sorry” after a public inquiry unequivocally blamed the British Army for one of the most controversial days in Northern Ireland's history, when 13 civil rights marchers were shot dead and 15 others were wounded.

For 38 years, so many had waited for those words.

Obfuscation, delay and denials until finally the truth emerged.

Next, there is the ongoing Post Office Inquiry.

Obfuscation, delay and denials, until finally the truth is beginning to emerge.

And then the long-running campaign for the truth and justice for the victims of the Hillsborough disaster.

Andy Burnham, who is now the mayor of Greater Manchester and is a former health secretary, finds his biography taking in two of these injustices.

I asked him why he failed to do what Theresa May was later to do – and set up an independent inquiry into the infected blood scandal.

“I always ask questions of myself - I said to campaigners, I'm sorry I couldn't do more, more quickly.

"I wasn't aware this was a cover-up when I was in the Department of Health.

"I was told at the time no-one was knowingly given unsafe products, but that was a lie. That was the official line and it was a lie.”

Former health secretary and Mayor of Manchester Andy Burnham participated in the Sunday Times press conference at Church House in Westminster after the report was published

So you can be secretary of state, of all things, and still be misled?

“It’s incredible. Most serious questions should be asked of Whitehall departments.

"How can it be that thousands and thousands of British citizens were left in the wilderness?” he asks.

He told me it was only his involvement in the Hillsborough campaign that opened his eyes to the scope of potential institutional failure — and his own failure to ask more searching questions earlier, when he was health secretary.

The big question, then, is how do you bring about widespread, deep-seated cultural change within the organs of government and institutions connected to it?

Can you legislate to change a culture?

Sir Brian Langstaff, the report author, thinks you might be able to – or at least make a start.

He suggests there should be a so-called duty of candour demanded in law for civil servants and others.

It would then become a legal obligation to speak up, rather than a cultural expectation to shut up.

Whistleblowing would be mandatory.

But will it happen, and will it make any difference?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c1997z82gdro

The article mentions the contaminated blood scandal, Bloody Sunday, the Post Office scandal, Hillsborough. You can add others like Orgreave, the Birmingham pub bombings, Windrush and Grenfell Tower to the list. All involve regular people being fucked over by the state and denied justice for many years after and in some cases ever. It's enough to, pardon the pun, make your blood boil.
The Boozer / Re: The small things in life that really hannoy
« Last post by Kenny's Jacket on Today at 05:16:14 pm »
We're supposed to be a nation of dog lovers, fight the real enemy

Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Jürgen Klopp
« Last post by lfcthekop on Today at 05:15:51 pm »
https://x.com/AndyCantwell/status/1792947239523880994
Andy cantwell is brilliant! ;... Check his youtube channel out  if you haven't already
Tory behaviour still wanting to wring a fee out of him.

Not really. We aren't a charity. The greatest Liverpool sides were often ruthless moving players on. If we were to move him on - and I sense he's more likely to leave on a free - we'd seek to maximize our return for FFP/PSR purposes and to help bring in funds for a replacement
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Arne Slot confirmed
« Last post by keeby on Today at 05:13:22 pm »
gdfgdfgdf" border="0

Genius :) - the only one i couldn't name was the fella with the specs ?
General Football and Sport / Re: Formula 1 2024 season
« Last post by Trump's tiny tiny hands on Today at 05:12:58 pm »
Suppose the key question for this weekend is who bins it first? Stroll or Sargeant?

Leclerc
5th place, but that's enough for CL qualification
We finish between 9th and 24th in the new CL table, go into the playoffs and win, but go out in the round of 16
4th round of the FA Cup
Quarterfinals of the League Cup

Bit of a meh season all round as we bed in a new manager and new signings
Your bold predictions for Liverpool, bud. Not that of your archrival, United.
I would take England winning this tournament if it means Southgate goes to Utd.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10