Author Topic: Pep Lijnders  (Read 152694 times)

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
Re: Pep Lijnders
« Reply #960 on: February 24, 2024, 12:29:41 am »
With mainly Emerys team

Emery lasted just over a year.

Arteta has been Arsenal manager for over four years.

In the modern game that is a massive achievement.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #961 on: February 24, 2024, 01:04:32 am »
Is it possible FSG just want a complete reset and return to a more layered structure with their new appointment(s) being given the freedom to decide how he/they want to steer the club?

I think all of the arguments for Pep are fair, but his comments about ending the project sound very much like it’s best for everyone that this is where it ends. Imagine Pep took the job and felt like he wasn’t allowed the same decision making ‘power’ as Jurgen? Imagine the new SD appointment feels undermined they’ve appointed Jurgen’s number 2 and decided to try and carry on as you were? Would anyone ‘elite’ take the job on knowing they’re going to be working with a manager who’s essentially in his first job?

Arsenal’s decision to go for Arteta was bold and has paid off several years later. Fair play to them, but they were in a pretty desperate situation and felt the risk was necessary. We’re not in that position. It also begs the question why Arteta was clearly seen as a suitable choice for a top job without having managed, yet Pep doesn’t appear to have been considered by any top clubs despite doing a great job here? Maybe he’s not been interested in leaving, maybe he isn’t as highly thought of outside of Liverpool as he is here? Maybe he’s just seen as a great number 2? It’s difficult to gauge from our position, but FSG not considering him speaks volumes considering they’ve promoted within quite a bit at least in the suits.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #962 on: February 24, 2024, 10:11:43 am »

Sure, but its very different to who Pep would be replacing
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 10:20:29 am by Redley »

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #963 on: February 24, 2024, 10:34:50 am »

Don't think Arteta was that much of a risk, they had already slipped out of the top 4 for 2/3 seasons, and they had originally looked at him before getting Emery.

They didn't really have much to lose and they very nearly did, they were lots of pressure on him when they were failing, it's only in the last 18 months that there has been a marked improvement.

Replacing Jurgen now is the equivalent of replacing Wenger after 2004. There has to be a confidence that the candidate can manage the players with all the egos they have, its just a different relationship.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #964 on: February 24, 2024, 10:39:12 am »
Don't think Arteta was that much of a risk, they had already slipped out of the top 4 for 2/3 seasons, and they had originally looked at him before getting Emery.

They didn't really have much to lose and they very nearly did, they were lots of pressure on him when they were failing, it's only in the last 18 months that there has been a marked improvement.

Replacing Jurgen now is the equivalent of replacing Wenger after 2004. There has to be a confidence that the candidate can manage the players with all the egos they have, its just a different relationship.

I am not sure this squad is full of over inflated egos anyway. We seem to go for players who realise playing as part of a team is more important, than putting themselves first. The most important thing is we continue in that way going forward.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #965 on: February 24, 2024, 10:51:25 am »
Our situation now and Arsenal’s situation post-Wenger are clearly very different. Arsenal’s dysfunctional ownership meant they were in a bad place by the time Wenger left. Emery never stood a chance - wrong man at the wrong time but still a great manager. Arteta, for all his flaws, has done a great job but it’s very much an ongoing rebuilding project and like us he is competing against the cheats, otherwise he could have won the league last year.

I always thought Arteta would come good. Had some great arguments with Chelsea fans who insisted that Lampard was a better manager than Arteta and would outlast him. Even though it was clear that Lampard was totally out of his depth. Idiots.

There are many routes into management. Klopp was proven quality before he joined us but Arteta shows that you don’t necessarily need to have previous experience as manager to be the right person for the job at a big club, so there’s no reason in principle why Lijnders shouldn’t be considered as an option for us.

But it’s clear that for whatever reason, the club aren’t considering him. I find it hard to believe he wouldn’t want it if offered.

Whatever happens next for him, he has been absolutely brilliant as Klopp’s no.2 and we should never forget what a vital contribution he has made to our success in recent years. I wish him all the best and hope he succeeds wherever he turns up next.

Who knows, he might even prove us wrong not to have considered him as Klopp’s replacement. Maybe he’ll even come back to take the hot seat one day.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #966 on: February 24, 2024, 11:21:47 am »
Is it possible FSG just want a complete reset and return to a more layered structure with their new appointment(s) being given the freedom to decide how he/they want to steer the club?

I think all of the arguments for Pep are fair, but his comments about ending the project sound very much like it’s best for everyone that this is where it ends. Imagine Pep took the job and felt like he wasn’t allowed the same decision making ‘power’ as Jurgen? Imagine the new SD appointment feels undermined they’ve appointed Jurgen’s number 2 and decided to try and carry on as you were? Would anyone ‘elite’ take the job on knowing they’re going to be working with a manager who’s essentially in his first job?

Arsenal’s decision to go for Arteta was bold and has paid off several years later. Fair play to them, but they were in a pretty desperate situation and felt the risk was necessary. We’re not in that position. It also begs the question why Arteta was clearly seen as a suitable choice for a top job without having managed, yet Pep doesn’t appear to have been considered by any top clubs despite doing a great job here? Maybe he’s not been interested in leaving, maybe he isn’t as highly thought of outside of Liverpool as he is here? Maybe he’s just seen as a great number 2? It’s difficult to gauge from our position, but FSG not considering him speaks volumes considering they’ve promoted within quite a bit at least in the suits.
Arteta was an ex-player and that massively helps to get a certain level of job

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #967 on: February 24, 2024, 11:51:08 am »
It does. And Peps experience with big players is solely here, which is why it can sometimes work promoting from within but why it’s incredibly rare for an assistant manager to get a top job elsewhere (like Leverkusen). And it’s not to say he might not be a big success, it’s just really unlikely to happen in the first place.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #968 on: February 24, 2024, 03:14:24 pm »
It does. And Peps experience with big players is solely here, which is why it can sometimes work promoting from within but why it’s incredibly rare for an assistant manager to get a top job elsewhere (like Leverkusen). And it’s not to say he might not be a big success, it’s just really unlikely to happen in the first place.

Apart from Kidd, McClaren, Carlos Queiroz, Mourinho, Phelan, Carrick, Maresca and Arteta.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 03:21:56 pm by Eeyore »
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #969 on: February 24, 2024, 03:29:09 pm »
Apart from Kidd, McClaren, Carlos Queiroz, Mourinho, Phelan, Carrick, Maresca and Arteta.
This list doesn't disprove the point at all. It's mostly managers not going to top jobs from being assistant Middlesbrough? Leicester in the Championship? or being promoted from within Mourinho, Carrick, Phelan (also Norwich and/or Hull doesn't fit as a top job surely)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 03:31:05 pm by Chris~ »

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #970 on: February 24, 2024, 04:23:55 pm »

Yeah sort of, but then lose Kidd, McLaren, Phelan, Carrick, Maresca and Arteta (because they didn’t) and you’ve proven my point :)

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #971 on: February 24, 2024, 05:40:26 pm »
Yeah sort of, but then lose Kidd, McLaren, Phelan, Carrick, Maresca and Arteta (because they didn’t) and you’ve proven my point :)

So the Arsenal job is not one of the biggest in England, Leicester didn't win the FA Cup a few years before Maresca joined them. Blackburn didn't win the League in 95 with Kidd joining them in 98.

Every one I listed is a number two taking the top job at a different club.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #972 on: February 24, 2024, 05:43:13 pm »
This list doesn't disprove the point at all. It's mostly managers not going to top jobs from being assistant Middlesbrough? Leicester in the Championship? or being promoted from within Mourinho, Carrick, Phelan (also Norwich and/or Hull doesn't fit as a top job surely)

Mourinho went from assistant at Barca and became manager of Benfica.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #973 on: February 24, 2024, 05:59:28 pm »
Brighton might be an interesting shout if De Zerbi leaves.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #974 on: February 24, 2024, 06:03:58 pm »
So the Arsenal job is not one of the biggest in England, Leicester didn't win the FA Cup a few years before Maresca joined them. Blackburn didn't win the League in 95 with Kidd joining them in 98.

Every one I listed is a number two taking the top job at a different club.

Nah you’re right I concede :) Brian Kidd taking over from Hodgson, with Blackburn on 14 points from 18 games having finished 6th the season before, is practically identical to Ljinders taking over from Xabi Alonso in the summer. I’m embarrassed to have even tried to make the point in the first place.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #975 on: February 24, 2024, 06:23:31 pm »

Not sure why you're arguing this Al.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #976 on: February 24, 2024, 06:35:46 pm »
Nah you’re right I concede :) Brian Kidd taking over from Hodgson, with Blackburn on 14 points from 18 games having finished 6th the season before, is practically identical to Ljinders taking over from Xabi Alonso in the summer. I’m embarrassed to have even tried to make the point in the first place.

What are you suggesting how many points you have decide the age and profile of the Coach you appoint?

Alonso must have been really lucky that Leverkusen had a terrible start to the 22/23 season. By your logic otherwise they would have appointed a super coach.

Leverkusen clearly choose to appoint young well respected coaches like Wolf, Seoane and Alonso.

Given that scenario why wouldn't they look at someone like Ljinders. A well-respected coach with a track record of helping to bring through young players. Someone like Ljinders seems far more likely than them completely changing course and looking for a big-name manager.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #977 on: February 24, 2024, 06:43:26 pm »
I was suggesting they won’t look at Pep to replace Xabi, but very happy to be proven wrong when they make their decision and equally I’m sure you’ll be the same Eeyore :)

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #978 on: February 24, 2024, 06:44:14 pm »
Wiki/BBC had him assistant so fair enough if that's wrong, but it was 24 years ago when you're trying to say this isn't rare  :D

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #979 on: February 24, 2024, 09:35:20 pm »
He wasn't an assistant coach at Barcelona. He was Bobby Robson's translator, a job title their fans used to taunt him with when he was manager of Real. He only became an assistant/coach when Robson took over at Porto and was then eventually promoted as we know.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #980 on: February 24, 2024, 09:44:20 pm »
He wasn't an assistant coach at Barcelona. He was Bobby Robson's translator, a job title their fans used to taunt him with when he was manager of Real. He only became an assistant/coach when Robson took over at Porto and was then eventually promoted as we know.

He was Van Gaal's assistant at Barca for 3 years.

Robson was at Porto before Barca not after.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #981 on: February 24, 2024, 10:18:15 pm »
Lijnders has had a spell in management away from Liverpool which didn't go that well right? He then returned to being an assistant with Liverpool. May be that he's decided he's suited to being a number 2. May be he needs to prove himself as a no. 1 somewhere before he can get a bigger job as a manager.

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #982 on: February 25, 2024, 04:19:12 am »

I don't think he has not been considered. I just dont think he's the no.1 choice and once he knows that, he'd rather go somewhere else and earn the right to be no.1 in the future. That's how I see it. Also feel like Klopp being done with the project might have something to do with Pep wanting to move on and Klopp just not willing to go through another new assistant manager. He's only ever worked closely with Buvac and Pep and we know he is far too loyal to like changing the people around him.
I think Pep is a world class coach, however there's more he'll need to do as a manager and having worked with the greatest, he'll have learned plenty. I like him and would be happy if he were the no.2 pick after Xabi in the summer. I just dont think it seems likely anymore after today's presser.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #983 on: February 25, 2024, 08:18:26 am »
Lijnders has had a spell in management away from Liverpool which didn't go that well right? He then returned to being an assistant with Liverpool. May be that he's decided he's suited to being a number 2. May be he needs to prove himself as a no. 1 somewhere before he can get a bigger job as a manager.
He hasn't decided he's suited to being an assistant - he's stated that he wants to be a manager and would like to return to us one day (having proved himself elsewhere). That gives us all a clue as to the discussions with FSG. It may be that he makes it, or not - have a look at Michael Beale, brilliant coach by all accounts but just doesn't seem to hack it as a manager. Great in a team with Gerrard (and vice versa, whereas Jurgen has proved that he can swap assistants and remain at the very top).

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #984 on: February 25, 2024, 08:28:46 am »
He hasn't decided he's suited to being an assistant - he's stated that he wants to be a manager and would like to return to us one day (having proved himself elsewhere). That gives us all a clue as to the discussions with FSG. It may be that he makes it, or not - have a look at Michael Beale, brilliant coach by all accounts but just doesn't seem to hack it as a manager. Great in a team with Gerrard (and vice versa, whereas Jurgen has proved that he can swap assistants and remain at the very top).

Ah he has, ok then. Well in that case his brief period as manager is the blot on his CV right now. He needs to go and do it somewhere else.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #985 on: February 27, 2024, 03:49:44 pm »
Ajax lining him up as Assistant or even Head Coach.

Ajax director of football Marijn Beuker is ‘in close contact’ with Liverpool assistant manager Pepijn Lijnders as they’re looking for a new manager or ‘vice manager’ to take over Ajax next season alongside possibly Frank de Boer. [@Telegraaf]

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #986 on: February 27, 2024, 03:53:22 pm »

What a job for him!

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #987 on: February 27, 2024, 03:54:41 pm »
That would be a great job for him if he can get it!

See you in the Champions League next season Pep  ;D

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #988 on: February 27, 2024, 03:57:29 pm »
That would be a great job for him if he can get it!

See you in the Champions League next season Pep  ;D

Doubt it, unless there's some unbelievable collapses in that league. They're way off qualifying, although they do have the best CM in world football now so who knows.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #989 on: February 27, 2024, 04:08:47 pm »
Doubt it, unless there's some unbelievable collapses in that league. They're way off qualifying, although they do have the best CM in world football now so who knows.

Oh really? I just assumed they were close to the top. Shows how much interest I show in other clubs  ;D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #990 on: February 27, 2024, 04:12:44 pm »
Oh Ajax are getting one heck of a reboot it seems. Maybe not even Europa this season, that's how bad they've been.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #991 on: February 27, 2024, 04:26:29 pm »
I am not sure this squad is full of over inflated egos anyway. We seem to go for players who realise playing as part of a team is more important, than putting themselves first. The most important thing is we continue in that way going forward.

Indeed. I doubt many other clubs put such a premium on character. Granted he was signed pre-Klopp, but Sakho is the only player that comes to mind that Klopp has bombed out for behaviour issues

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #992 on: February 27, 2024, 04:29:27 pm »

Why would he want to be an assistant again?

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #993 on: February 27, 2024, 04:32:34 pm »
Ajax would be great if he's the manager and they are run better off the pitch. Wouldn't be surprised if Celtic is up to as I don't think Rodgers will win the league and some are getting sick of the football already so maybe a chance there, they were looking at Maresca before Brendan so seem to take note of the assistant circles.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #994 on: February 27, 2024, 06:04:52 pm »
Ajax would be an unbelievable job to get if he was to become their new manager. I think right now they'd benefit from someone with years of experience and success as an actual first team manager but could still hit the jackpot with Lijnders. If he manages the step up to being a manager, especially at a storied club with real expectations, it bodes well for his career as a manager, and who knows, maybe even get himself into the picture of being our own manager one day.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #995 on: February 27, 2024, 06:18:53 pm »
Ajax been a mess of a club for a while..he'd be taking on a massive job with huge expectation on him.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #996 on: March 20, 2024, 06:07:08 pm »
Fernando Torres on his coaching style.

“This heavy metal football, I love that. The difficult thing is how do you train that? Hopefully I can find out one day.”

He also revealed to LFCTV that he read Pep Lijnders’ book and tries to learn from #LFC’s coaching methods.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #997 on: March 27, 2024, 05:31:14 pm »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #998 on: March 27, 2024, 05:38:20 pm »
Good luck to him, he's a hell of a No2.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #999 on: March 27, 2024, 05:58:46 pm »
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/sport/football/article/liverpool-pep-lijnders-jurgen-klopp-assistant-ajax-8lrdlfzl6
I hope he smashes it over there. Ajax are an enormous club and he'll be under the spot light immediately.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close