Author Topic: Lucas called up for Brazil  (Read 27242 times)

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Lucas called up for Brazil
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2008, 11:43:41 pm »
it's a shame that we reach a point where it's 'he's better than alonso'... 'no he's not'... etc though no?

he's a good player with potential to become very good. the brazilian media know what he's capable of and you wonder whether it's a cultural thing somehow. anyway, there's no chance he'll get an extended run unless there are (god forbid) injuries so it could be we have to move him on next summer, but fingers crossed he digs in and makes his case better. tough to do though, the way masch and alonso are playing.

I'm just trying to work out how he could play a bit more in an advanced role. Can't figure it out unless Gerrard's rested or we play only 1 holding midfielder for whatever reason. But Rafa obviously thinks he'll be a better defensive midfielder- so yeah, he'll have to bide his time I suppose. I was really hoping he'd turn into a player who could keep and move on possession at the attacking end of our team- like Fabregas and other playmakers who play in attacking midfield. I think that's the type of option we're crying out for.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline dmn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2008, 11:50:11 pm »
How exactly is he better than Alonso when we have 'position and territorial advantage'? Alonso is on another level (or 2) above Lucas at the moment and will be for a while yet.
He is a hell of a lot better than Alonso in the attacking third:
He's much better than Alonso at working short space around the opponents box, "simple" 1-2's etc, which is also evident by him making considerably more assists.
He's incredibly much better than Alonso at making runs into the box to finish of attacks himself or open up space for others.
And he's also a bit better than Alonso at shooting.

But as I said above, he hasn't got the chance to show that yet, and I don't contest that decision. I fully agree that Alonso-Gerrard is a better pairing than Mascherano-Lucas in a 4-4-2. At the moment there's no way that Lucas should play in a 4-4-2 if Gerrard is available.
And as I said again, when Gerrard was out vs United the selected player alongside Masch would end up quite deep, making Alonso the better option. It would be ideal if Lucas and Alonso could play together and we could use both Alonso's playmaking qualities in a deeper position and Lucas' qualities in the attacking third, but I fear they are both too slow for it to ever work on a consistent basis.

Offline red_to_the_toe

• Kopite
  • I can't get no
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2008, 11:57:20 pm »
I could have sworn I'd heard interviews where Lucas says he is glad that Rafa is playing him in his favorite position: holding mid. 
All non-ravens are non-black.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2008, 12:00:47 am »
He's about getting the ball, having options around him, giving it and then immediately going looking for it back.

Can't agree with this I'm afraid, because his movement after the pass isn't good enough. One thing Alonso - as a comparison - has always been good at, even when not at his best, is his awareness to move in the right direction to create an angle for the pass. Far too often Lucas passes the ball then ambles aimlessly, leaving an opposition player between himself and the ball. He doesn't make himself available well enough to have gained this reputation - which I think is wishful thinking and excuse making - of being a born "pass and move player" restrained because we don't play that way (which is also vastly overstated).
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2008, 12:01:19 am »
Lucas has shown that he can sit in, and he can get up and down the pitch, pass tidily and knit play together......so he adds to out midfield options with Mascherano, Gerrard and Alonso and provides more cover when we have injuries......basically any two get injuries we still and two viable options......hopefully, lucas can continue develop his strengths in terms of getting around the pitch to secure position and setting play in motion, linking in and providing a passing option wherever the play is...he obviously likes to get forward too, something that if he can do effectively will add further to our armoury

he is a very good young player, who is a brazillian international, and has shown in some games exactly what he is capable of.....given time and maturity we will see alot more from lucas, particularly playing in an improving side with quality like gerrard, alonso and mascherano around him
Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline dmn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2008, 12:10:40 am »
I could have sworn I'd heard interviews where Lucas says he is glad that Rafa is playing him in his favorite position: holding mid.
Read/listen to it again:
That's more of a mix-up in definition. What would you think of if you heard the description Brazilian attacking midfielder? So he does not consider himself an attacking midfielder, but rather defensive. But not the "most defensive" midfielder in the 11. As in,  he want a quite free role with a more defensive midfielder next to him as the 2 in either a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-3-1.

Obviously there are those that don't agree with me that lucas is rubbish and that's fair enough.

But for those saying he is better than alonso. I have a few words for you

"Oh my fucking god, stop watching football and go play some netball cause you have no IDEA"
*sigh*
Learn to read.
I said that Lucas is clearly ahead of Alonso in parts of the game. Alonso is clearly ahead in other parts (especially the playmaking from a deep position). Considering the rest of the players we have in our squad and the way we play, Alonso's strenghts usually makes him the better of the two in total. As it is now, it's very situational in which conditions that Lucas' strengths will weight over, so obviously he has to improve in some areas to become a more regular starter than Alonso.

Offline red_to_the_toe

• Kopite
  • I can't get no
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2008, 12:22:20 am »
Umm, okay.  Guess I don't know Portuguese, or the meaning of "defensive midfielder".
All non-ravens are non-black.

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2008, 12:43:10 am »
Can't agree with this I'm afraid, because his movement after the pass isn't good enough. One thing Alonso - as a comparison - has always been good at, even when not at his best, is his awareness to move in the right direction to create an angle for the pass.
--- They move in very different parts of the field. Alonso will move in front of our defenders to make himself available for the pass and to give them options instead of hoofing the ball. Lucas moves very well around the box, which is not really an area of the pitch that Alonso ventures into. Also Alonso is often static when receiving the pass--- the fulcrum or metronome as it were. Lucas is often on the move--- the quick give-and-gos.

Far too often Lucas passes the ball then ambles aimlessly, leaving an opposition player between himself and the ball.
--- If he's running into the box or deep in their half, there is naturally going to be an opposition player there.

think is wishful thinking and excuse making - of being a born "pass and move player" restrained because we don't play that way (which is also vastly overstated).
--- We don't play that way often, but some of our best goals this season have come from this type of one touch passing. For example, Arbeloa's assist for Torres' goal against Man City. Arbeloa dummies the ball onto Gerrard (I think it was a ball from Mascherano) and continues his run out wide to receive it back from Gerrard and then the quick pass to Torres for the goal.
"And Israeli aggression will continue unabated. BDS. Armed struggle. Peace talks. Protests. Tweets. Social media. Poetry. All are terror in Israel’s books.” Refaat Alareer
https://www.youtube.com/@refaatalareer9499

Offline jaydog

• Main Stander
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2008, 01:01:18 am »
I must be watching different matches, the lad had a few good interventions last night but common describing as better than Xabi boy that is pushing it.  He may turn out to be great, haven't seen the evidence yet myself.  Riera at the moment looks pretty useful, we seem to have a disparate mix of creative, industrious and very average players.  We have weathered the storms better this season than we have in the past but we have yet to hit top form and that is something I am looking forward to, if it goes pear shaped where the hell do we go from here, the anti Rafa brigade will be baying for blood-the rest of us will, anybody got iany ideas what the fuck we will do.

Offline dmn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2008, 01:33:14 am »
but common describing as better than Xabi boy that is pushing it.
Is there some ****ing disease around which makes people unable to read but somehow still able to type or what?

Offline fowlerisgod96

• Legacy Fan
  • The Monster Masch
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2008, 01:42:18 am »
The problem with your descriptions of where Lucas is better than Xabi is that he's failed to prove any of them. You might as well be telling us that he's a better goalkeeper than Reina and he's quicker than Torres, but until he starts to show it, its pointless.

I like the look of Lucas and the fact he's still a relative kid doesnt go over my head (same as Babel) but we've paid a lot of money for him and he needs to start showing a little bit more than he is or in 18 months or so he'll be heading for the exit, using the same luggage trolley as Babel.
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us."

Offline lfc_bhoy

• muppet
  • Legacy Fan
  • You is getting twatted, possibilities no-FS
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2008, 03:00:34 am »
The problem with your descriptions of where Lucas is better than Xabi is that he's failed to prove any of them. You might as well be telling us that he's a better goalkeeper than Reina and he's quicker than Torres, but until he starts to show it, its pointless.

I like the look of Lucas and the fact he's still a relative kid doesnt go over my head (same as Babel) but we've paid a lot of money for him and he needs to start showing a little bit more than he is or in 18 months or so he'll be heading for the exit, using the same luggage trolley as Babel.

If 20 and 21 year olds aren't given patience how think we're ever going to promote youngsters.  Be patient Lucas made some quality tackles and passes well enough, but his movement in and around the box is where his talent really lies, and he hasn't played in a position where he been able to do that.
"Because like Bill Shankly, on more days and nights than those expert pundits ever care to recall, he made the people happy."

"There was no other color in the middle of the field except the red of Liverpool"

Offline USC19Babel

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2008, 03:13:52 am »
People who slate the likes of Lucas so early in his career have me worried.

Honestly, some people on here are calling for Pacheco to be given a chance, and he's not even 18 years old yet. If Lucas is being slagged off already (okay, he's had a solid amount of appearances, but he hasn't had a run of games or starts to really get into form), I shudder to think what some of you would say if Pacheco didn't set the pitch ablaze instantly.

Show some patience with Lucas and the rest (Dossena, youngsters, etc.), we might just be pleasantly surprised.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2008, 05:00:22 am »
1. Being called up by Brazil, unfortunately, means fuck all these days. They have one of the weakest squads ever at the time. In fact, I can't remember any worse squad they had in my lifetime.
2. He is unlucky that he is competing for a place in the strongest area of Liverpool. Liverpool's midfield is the only part where the team does not need anything more. That's why such quality players like Hamman were sold.
3. Rafa has problem of giving opportunities to youngsters. Without practice, their confidence gets low and they worsen. Pongolle improved only thanks to matches. Babel, Pacheco, Bruna, Lucas, Leto will all turn shit, if not given chance in proper times.
In fact, when I watch him, he absolutely does not seem an attacking midfielder. Nor I would imagine him to be a former captain of Brazil U20 side. It seems, he already went backwards.
---
Lucas didn't use his chances properly either, to be fair. He was nothing special against Marseille. I dunno, I fail to see making him into first team. Gerrard, Alonso and Mascherano are relatively young players.

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2008, 07:28:21 am »
1. Being called up by Brazil, unfortunately, means fuck all these days. They have one of the weakest squads ever at the time. In fact, I can't remember any worse squad they had in my lifetime.

Weakest maybe....but "means fuck all" really?
2. He is unlucky that he is competing for a place in the strongest area of Liverpool. Liverpool's midfield is the only part where the team does not need anything more. That's why such quality players like Hamman were sold.
That is true, he is unlucky to an extent, but he also forms part of a very strong midfield squad quartet that will see him improve if he wants to play more regulalry.  If he is up to the challenge we will see him appearing more regularly in the middle and in other positions as his mobility does give him a bit of versatility

3. Rafa has problem of giving opportunities to youngsters. Without practice, their confidence gets low and they worsen. Pongolle improved only thanks to matches. Babel, Pacheco, Bruna, Lucas, Leto will all turn shit, if not given chance in proper times.
In fact, when I watch him, he absolutely does not seem an attacking midfielder. Nor I would imagine him to be a former captain of Brazil U20 side. It seems, he already went backwards.
---
Lucas didn't use his chances properly either, to be fair. He was nothing special against Marseille. I dunno, I fail to see making him into first team. Gerrard, Alonso and Mascherano are relatively young players.

Players do struggle to find form and fitness when not playing regularly, also improvement can be accelerated by regular games.  But to suggest that players will automatically go backwards - particularly young ones - when they are not regulars is not so easily supportable.  Pongolle has not improved to the extent that I would take him back and see him in anything other than the support role he was in.  Simple fact is, if a player is good enough he will get a game.  Babel, Lucas and younger developing players have plenty of opportunity to learn and get into contention training with their peers.  They will get opportunities and need to snap them up when they do.  With regard to how well Lucas has performed, I do think there is more to come from him.  He will get games and we will see contributions as we have previously (most notably against Everton at the pit last season).
Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline RedMichelFerri

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone - Liverpool till I die
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2008, 07:59:58 am »
Also you can't judge the performances of players in different league. Some excel everywhere while some are more suited for a particular league. Forlan failed in EPL but is hot shot in La liga (Gonzalez shined in la liga but failed at LFC).
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.”

- Rafa Benitez : RIP Ray.

royhendo

« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2008, 08:29:53 am »

i'm presuming you're quite a young lad Xxavi. list the squad in question and tell me where its weak points are please. then go back and think about the balance in brazil squads historically. lucas plays in a position where they have a wealth of talent. there's no falcao or rivelinho, but writing off the young lad's achievement in this way is nonsense. they're not as strong in centre mid as spain, but they're still very strong.

anyway blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. everybody has plenty of sh_te to spout about lucas leiva, and i'm confident that (with or without LFC) the kid is going to prove his ability in his career, because his attitude is spot on.

here's the list of Bola de Ouro winners over the years. it's quite a list. maybe you'll recognise some of the players.  clearly it's not a guarantee of success in the player's later career, but to win it in the manner he won it in a season when he was aged 19/20 is phenomenal. we should be happy we have a talent like that on our books, and that our scouts did the work they did to do the deal quickly and snap him up.

we're showing on these boards what's wrong with supporters lately. players are given no time to grow into themselves and develop. we signed one of the world's greatest young players for £5m. in case you didn't notice, spurs signed dos santos this summer for roughly the same and quadruple the hype, but how's he looked so far?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bola_de_Ouro

Winners
2007 :  Thiago Neves (Fluminense)
2006 :  Lucas (Grêmio)
2005 :  Carlos Tévez (Corinthians)
2004 :  Robinho (Santos FC)
2003 :  Alex (Cruzeiro)
2002 :  Kaká (Săo Paulo FC)
2001 :  Alex Mineiro (Atlético Paranaense)
2000 :  Romario (Vasco da Gama)
1999 :  Marcelinho (Corinthians)
1998 :  Edilson (Corinthians)
1997 :  Edmundo (Vasco da Gama)
1996 :  Djalminha (Palmeiras)
1995 :  Giovanni (Santos FC)
1994 :  Amoroso (Guarani)
1993 :  César Sampaio (Palmeiras)
1992 :  Júnior (Flamengo)
1991 :  Mauro Silva (Bragantino)
1990 :  César Sampaio (Santos FC)
1989 :  Ricardo Rocha (Săo Paulo FC)
1988 :  Taffarel (Internacional)
1987 :  Renato Gaúcho (Flamengo)
1986 :  Careca (Săo Paulo FC)
1985 :  Marinho (Bangu)
1984 :  Roberto Costa (Vasco da Gama)
1983 :  Roberto Costa (Atlético Paranaense)
1982 :  Zico (Flamengo)
1981 :  Paulo Isidoro (Grêmio)
1980 :  Cerezo (Atlético Mineiro)
1979 :  Falcăo (Internacional)
1978 :  Falcăo (Internacional)
1977 :  Cerezo (Atlético Mineiro)
1976 :  Elías Figueroa (Internacional)
1975 :  Valdir Peres (Săo Paulo FC)
1974 :  Zico (Flamengo)
1973 :  Agustín Cejas (Santos FC)
1973 :  Atílio Ancheta (Grêmio)
The award was not given in 1971 and 1972 but the following players had the best evaluation :
1972:  Elías Figueroa (Internacional)
1971:  Dirceu Lopes (Cruzeiro)

the last point is the key, though. we've reached a stage where, despite being bola de ouro winners, there are only a handful of these players who you'd swap in to our current side in preference to the players we already have, and that's most obvious in the midfield positions. he's going to have to reach a phenomenal level to cement his place.

people need to retain some perspective on the level we're reaching here.

Offline LiverpoolRedRoseFan38

• In search of an empty room to start a fight...
  • Kopite
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2008, 08:32:02 am »
I like lucas leiva  he is a good young player but i can't see him being a first team regular only a first team squad player .
My love is for Liverpool football club but also Lancashire county cricket club , the two greatest sports teams and clubs in the world .

royhendo

« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2008, 08:58:43 am »
by the way - this 'he hasn't been given a chance' thing... how many times did he play last season out of interest?

this is an old interview and it's from our own version of pravda, but...

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/archivedirs/news/2007/nov/2/N157552071102-1215.htm

The Reds skipper played alongside the 20-year-old during the 2-1 victory over Cardiff City on Wednesday and admits he has been highly impressed with how the youngster has adapted to life in England.

"He could have had the winner in the derby on his league debut and there aren't many players who can say that," said Gerrard.

"It is always difficult for new players to come on in the derby, especially when they're used to playing a different style of football in a different country. But Lucas came on and acquitted himself well.

"I've seen enough of him in training and in games to know that he has got a great future.

"He is only a young lad but once he picks up more experience and if he keeps on doing the right things in training and listening to the right people, then I'm sure he will go on to be a great player."

Lucas' cameo appearances for the Reds so far this season have also delighted boss Rafael Benitez, who revealed that fans can expect to see more and more of the Brazil international as the campaign progresses.

Benitez said: "He is the captain of the Brazilian under-21 team and he has already won a cap for the first team, so we knew all about his quality.

"It is not as if he was playing for one of the smaller countries. It is Brazil and it is really difficult for a player to play for such a big team at such a young age.

"So we were happy to sign him, and I am sure we will see more and more of him as the season goes on."

Lucas made the move to Anfield from Gremio during the summer, after his rapid rise to stardom saw him become the youngest player ever to win the Bola de Oura - the award handed out to the best player in the Brazilian championship.

The transition from playing in South American football to competing in the Premier League is not an easy one, but Benitez believes there are already signs that Lucas will be a complete success.

"Lucas has the quality and mentality to do well. It is different for him in England, even small things like the grass that we play on is different," said Benitez.

"But he is adapting well and he has shown in recent games that he is a player of talent and one who can do well in this country.

"He could have scored against Everton and it is a pity he didn't because to score the winner in the derby would have been good for him. But he still played an important role in the victory, so that is good.

"He is a player who is comfortable in possession, can pass the ball really well, has good movement, is always involved and can get from box to box.

"He can remain as a holding midfielder but he also likes to get forward because he scores goals, so he is more of a complete midfielder."

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2008, 09:22:47 am »
--- They move in very different parts of the field. Alonso will move in front of our defenders to make himself available for the pass and to give them options instead of hoofing the ball. Lucas moves very well around the box, which is not really an area of the pitch that Alonso ventures into. Also Alonso is often static when receiving the pass--- the fulcrum or metronome as it were. Lucas is often on the move--- the quick give-and-gos.
--- If he's running into the box or deep in their half, there is naturally going to be an opposition player there.
--- We don't play that way often, but some of our best goals this season have come from this type of one touch passing. For example, Arbeloa's assist for Torres' goal against Man City. Arbeloa dummies the ball onto Gerrard (I think it was a ball from Mascherano) and continues his run out wide to receive it back from Gerrard and then the quick pass to Torres for the goal.
If 20 and 21 year olds aren't given patience how think we're ever going to promote youngsters.  Be patient Lucas made some quality tackles and passes well enough, but his movement in and around the box is where his talent really lies, and he hasn't played in a position where he been able to do that.

Again, I don't believe there has been any real evidence that Lucas will be transformed into a stunning attacking midfielder - I think it's wishful thinking and infact an admission that he's not really a defensive midfielder or a box-to-box midfielder, so by process of elimination he must be a good attacking midfielder. Perhaps, but alternatively perhaps he's just not quite good enough, or not quite sharp enough in that area of the pitch in the English game.

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2008, 03:30:13 pm »
will be a top top player but at the moment he will have to wait for his chances as the midfield is not really setup to suit his style.
he is a pass and move instigator and just look around him.

alonso too static
mascherano plays in his area
gerarrd ...well we all saw one time when lucas played a cute one 2 with gerarrd....gerrard wasnt on the same wave length and lambasted lucas on the pitch (probably because he made him look silly)
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline GoldenFleece

• Anny Roader
« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2008, 04:22:26 pm »
will be a top top player but at the moment he will have to wait for his chances as the midfield is not really setup to suit his style.
he is a pass and move instigator and just look around him.

alonso too static
mascherano plays in his area
gerarrd ...well we all saw one time when lucas played a cute one 2 with gerarrd....gerrard wasnt on the same wave length and lambasted lucas on the pitch (probably because he made him look silly)

Straight up... you are the only person on here who sees this in Lucas?

He's a good player.. not a world beater though.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2008, 06:01:39 pm »
no he is not a world beater but has the potential to be a real lynchpin if allowed to grow as a player.

unfortunatley ive got a bad feeling it wont be with us and we will be seriously kicking ourselves in a few years.

you can sometimes see hsi football intelligence is some way above the rest of our players

Offline scutty

• Kopite
  • Know nothing.
« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2008, 06:52:56 pm »
My only worry with Lucas Is that we have to let him go before we see the best of him.

for any Young lad to come to a new country new league and fit into the heart of our midfield pretty much unnoticed is fantastic.

I'm convinced he will turn out to be a class act.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 06:56:23 pm by scutty »
Why was my post deleted?

Offline scutty

• Kopite
  • Know nothing.
« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2008, 06:53:36 pm »
My only worry with Lucas Is that we have to let him go before we see the best of him.

for any Young lad to come to a new country new league and fit into the heart of our midfield pretty much unnoticed is fantastic.

I'm convinced he will turn out to be a class act.

I like what i said so much, I just had to quote myself  ;)

Mods please delete.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 06:55:55 pm by scutty »
Why was my post deleted?

royhendo

« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2008, 08:14:03 pm »
just caught the last 15 minutes again and he was really good when he came on. people are seriously idiotic if they were slating him in the in-game thread. all you could reasonably say is "two poor deliveries from free kicks".

i think it's because he looks carefree when he's playing. he's like a kid playing football in the park. does that wind people up?

Offline LFC-SAM-YNWA

• Kemlynite
« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2008, 08:19:42 pm »
Put it this way, he might not have made as much of an impact, but I can see Lucas becoming more of a complete player than that Manc Anderson down the road. So much is compared between these two but Lucas has always been considered a better prospect back home in Brazil.
One or so more seasons learning from the likes of Masch, Xabi and Gerrard, and i can see Lucas becoming more and more a first team player with quality in every area.

Offline jaydog

• Main Stander
« Reply #107 on: October 25, 2008, 03:03:14 pm »
you moron I was referring to a post on page one of this article by MidMaestro but after reading your input I am convinced you know F**k all.

Is there some ****ing disease around which makes people unable to read but somehow still able to type or what?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: October 25, 2008, 03:08:41 pm »
Put it this way, he might not have made as much of an impact, but I can see Lucas becoming more of a complete player than that Manc Anderson down the road. So much is compared between these two but Lucas has always been considered a better prospect back home in Brazil.
One or so more seasons learning from the likes of Masch, Xabi and Gerrard, and i can see Lucas becoming more and more a first team player with quality in every area.

lets hope he doesnt pick up their bad habits

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: October 25, 2008, 03:26:00 pm »
I like Lucas. I think he clearly struggles a bit with the physical nature of the english game, but I think thats only the case because we dont have as good movement as we should.

Lucas does look forward alot to see whats available and he does like playing quick give-and-goes and 1-2's on the edge of the box (like against Blackburn last season when Gerrard went through and scored), but sometimes our movement isnt as good as it should be (a point made by quite a few people), so there isnt as many options to pass to and as a result he is closed down and barged off the ball/gives a rushed pass.

I think the whole physical nature would be a problem for alot of players in our team. I could see sometimes even Fabregas struggling with the lack of options. Lucas would be more successful, or more prominent, in a team like Arsenal at this stage in his career with the increased movement and the fact that he could release the ball quicker without getting chased off it.

But I think if he continues to improve then he could become an important player. Maybe not world class, but a good one nonetheless

Good points. Especially the Fabregas link- that's the type of player I want Lucas to be- someone who can conduct our attacking football with a wide range of passing and chip in with a few goals. But, as important, is the movement around these sorts of players as people have pointed out. I think we're getting there.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #110 on: October 25, 2008, 03:29:51 pm »
blah

Fab tits heels, if i was straight i might give you one.
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline ben

• Legacy Fan
  • dont you know who i think i am?
« Reply #111 on: October 25, 2008, 04:04:29 pm »
the problem with lucas and babel this year is that people were expecting them to really progress in their second year.

people need to remember though, the start of the second season is only 2 months after the end of the first. what could realistically happen in the summer which will progress their games? the only way that's going to happen is with football matches. as the season goes on they'll get those games and then we'll start to see what they're all about.

patience.

Offline Pankaka

• Kopite
« Reply #112 on: October 25, 2008, 06:37:41 pm »
I remember someone posting a great article on the effectiveness of Lucas. I can't find it though. It would really make people see him in perspective to the whole team.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 06:40:09 pm by Pankaka »
At half time, 2-0 down to Manchester City 05/10/08
Quote from: heather123
If we win, I will eat my own head.  Seriously.
We went on to win the game... ;D

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #113 on: October 25, 2008, 06:47:47 pm »
How did this happen? I mean he's a donkey, worst brazilian player ever!!!

Well that's what Eamonn Dunphy and Ronnie Whelan think and they make a living out of being football pundits so they must be right.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Pankaka

• Kopite
« Reply #114 on: October 25, 2008, 07:11:27 pm »
Here it is:

Saw this little article pasted on a forum, but I'm not sure where it's from originally....
Lucas: A Different Kind of Brilliance

There is something reassuringly familiar about Lucas Leiva, a style of play that recalls happier days for Liverpool.  Get the ball, pass it on to the nearest red shirt and then move on in readiness to get it back: that used to be the Liverpool way and that is how Leiva plays his football.

In a way, this explains why so little has been said about him.  Lucas blends into the side seemingly doing nothing special, certainly not anything that gets him easily noticed.  Look closer, however, and the understated importance of his play will become obvious.

Take his passing.  Unlike others he is not one for the long cross-field pass but often tends to look around him for players who are in space. It could be construed as lack of ambition or talent but in truth it is simply another way to keep the move going.   Especially because of what Lucas often does after each pass: move forward and get ready to receive the ball again.

In other words, he always makes sure that there are options and outlets for those around him to allow Liverpool to move the ball forward and past any pressure that there might be on the midfielders.   Far from being a risk free approach, Lucas is in more danger of looking inept if possession is lost than it is if a longer range pass goes slightly wayward.  Yet it offers a different dimension to Liverpool’s play.  Too many teams have latched on to the fact that Xabi Alonso will cut you in half if you give him space on the ball.  Press him, however, and his effectiveness is greatly reduced.

Of course the thing with Alonso is that he is far too intelligent to be easily cornered but the availability of a player like Lucas ensures that there are different alternatives available for Liverpool.

This wasn’t always apparent this season but there were enough instances to indicate that it is what Benitez is thinking of.  Especially towards the latter part of the season when Lucas started being given more opportunities – possibly because it was felt that the player had really started to settle in – and as a result he began to really show what he’s all about.

It was then that more started to emerge about his game.  His reactivity, for instance, and how he immediately starts pressing whenever the ball is lost.  Or his defence splitting passes such as the one that put Pennant through on goal against Fulham.  Such instances hint at how much more could come from him.

Not that this should have been in any doubt.  This was a player who had been a regular for one of Brazil’s biggest sides since he was eighteen, a side he had captained as well as playing a major role in its progress to the final of the Copa Libertadores.  And this is a player who is a regular member of Brazil’s squad, someone who is rated very highly by coach Carlos Dunga.

Perhaps it is because he has already achieved so much that such high expectations are place on him.  Not even that, however, justifies the claims that his has been a disappointing season.  He might need to improve in certain areas – which player his age doesn’t? -but he that doesn’t diminish the fact that he is an exceptional talent.
At half time, 2-0 down to Manchester City 05/10/08
Quote from: heather123
If we win, I will eat my own head.  Seriously.
We went on to win the game... ;D

Offline kkhaku

• Kaladze
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: k_rrar
« Reply #115 on: October 25, 2008, 07:32:58 pm »
Anyone think a 6 month loan this Jan would do him some good?

He's at a prime age, and if he doesn't get regular games we're not going to see him mature into what he's hyped up to be. He needs that to develop, and if he doesn't get it, we risk wasting a great talent.

The only time he'll get a game is when we play Stevie in a more advanced role - and even then he'll be competing against Masch and Xabi, so the playing time will be limited. Even if Xabi moves on next season, we'll no doubt get a replacement, so Lucas' place in the order won't change much.

Only problem of course, is we'd be short on central midfielders if we let him go.

"God is dead." - Freidrich Nietzsche, 1882
"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: October 25, 2008, 08:15:49 pm »
Fab tits heels, if i was straight i might give you one.

:-X
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: October 25, 2008, 08:47:48 pm »
I make no bones about the fact that I rate Lucas very highly, however I think there are two main problems at the moment (aside, of course, of issues pertaining to his lack of games and perhaps fitness). 

Firstly, I think his main problem is his timidity....not in terms of physicality against the opposition, but more his timid nature towards his own teammates.  As a 'pass and move' style midfielder he needs to constantly get and give the ball, and use his (in my view) excellent vision to move the team into areas of the pitch where we can most create, but he has a tendency to give the short 5 yard pass, move into space but then not demand the ball back.  This makes it appear that he is constantly taking the easy option of giving the ball to his more experience midfield partners and then getting out of the way.  I have no doubt that his standing as captain and best player at Gremio meant that his teammates always looked for him to give the ball to, and allowed him to become the integral player of that side.  Perhaps if he can be more assertive here, he could translate his obvious ability onto the pitch much more consistantly.

The second problem I believe he has is that our side is very much a 'power' side.  That's not to say we can't play nice pretty stuff (though this season we haven't seen a huge amount of it), but I think our natural style at the moment is one more of drive, determination, directness and power that attempts to steamroller over the opposition to win games.  If Lucas is going to be a big player for us either we have to tweak our style of play a little bit, or he himself has to find a way to marry his style of football with that of our current one.  If he was able to, I think we'd become a much more balanced side.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: October 25, 2008, 09:16:14 pm »
Here it is:

That article sums up Lucas' playing style very well. Im sick of hearing criticism of him to be honest, he's alot better than he is getting credit for.

He plays pass and move football, and i do think we need more players that do that.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 09:19:38 pm by RyanBabel19 »

Offline Mother.F

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: October 25, 2008, 09:21:55 pm »

Lucas quote from preseason:

"We know we have to work hard in pre-season because we have a long season ahead and we are trying to put the things we are doing in training into practice in the matches.

"The manager has given me more freedom to go forward and that suits because that is my style.

"I think my form and fitness are improving every day even though it has been tiring because pre-season has been hard but I am happy with my goal.

"I am confident that I can score more goals. Last season I got only one but in Brazil I scored quite a few so I have the belief that I can score more for Liverpool."

After the Lucerne game.

I'm just trying to work out how he could play a bit more in an advanced role. Can't figure it out unless Gerrard's rested or we play only 1 holding midfielder for whatever reason. But Rafa obviously thinks he'll be a better defensive midfielder- so yeah, he'll have to bide his time I suppose. I was really hoping he'd turn into a player who could keep and move on possession at the attacking end of our team- like Fabregas and other playmakers who play in attacking midfield. I think that's the type of option we're crying out for.

I was hoping the same thing, that he was being groomed, so to speak, to be more in the Fabregas mould. Further forward, maybe playing some in the middle of the 3 where Gerrard did well last year. After his quote in the summer, it seemed a distinct possibility. It's a quandary, but I suppose maybe we'll just have to wait and see.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 09:25:30 pm by Mother.F »