Author Topic: Wheres Rafa''s new contract?  (Read 153880 times)

Offline ShanksLegend

• Spirit Of Shankly RTK
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool FC is an institution not a business
Re: Wheres Rafa''s new contract?
« Reply #840 on: February 27, 2009, 07:57:17 am »
Brian Barwick is apparently getting a role at the club, head of communications or something.

Offline Lionel Rich Tea

• Anny Roader
« Reply #841 on: February 27, 2009, 08:11:01 am »
Brian Barwick is apparently getting a role at the club, head of communications or something.

Replacement for Parry?

Water off the ducks back with the Mourinho story, column space needs filling and they put that in. Why are people getting so ate up about all the vultures circulating writing these stories, we should be used to it. Illegitimi Non Carbarondum anyone?

It shouldn't even be worthy of the number of posts it has already warranted. I bet the hacks check through all the forums for all the clubs to see how best they can piss off the supporters and sensationalise something so they sell more copies.

Anyway, balls to Mourinho I'd rather have Gary Megson.

Offline buchigo!

• Legacy Fan
  • okay javier but i'm only on loan... for sure no?
« Reply #842 on: February 27, 2009, 08:11:50 am »
is this the "big news" (cf. myers comment) shankslegend?
Finish the job sir. Come back when we deserve you.

Offline buchigo!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #843 on: February 27, 2009, 08:13:33 am »
The University of Liverpool has scored a big signing, nabbing Brian Barwick, formerly chief executive of the Football Association, as its visiting professor of management. Barwick will use his football knowledge to lead seminars in strategic management.

(2 february- guardian)

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #844 on: February 27, 2009, 08:16:06 am »
is this the "big news" (cf. myers comment) shankslegend?

Disappointing if it is ..

Offline Paddy_Fowler

• Anny Roader
  • That's how i roll.......
« Reply #845 on: February 27, 2009, 08:16:11 am »
If Rafa did walk.... i for one wouldn't mind seeing Mourinho come in. *ducks*
A man without facts is just another man with an opinion.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #846 on: February 27, 2009, 08:17:12 am »
. :roger :roger

Offline reds88

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #847 on: February 27, 2009, 08:36:53 am »

Mourinho's reported wages is very high, don't expect H+G would be willing to pay.  I don't like him anyway.

There was speculation in the papers here that King Kenny could come in on a temporary basis until a permanent replacement is found should Rafa walk.  Hmmm.

Offline Bogman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #848 on: February 27, 2009, 08:48:28 am »
Hello:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rick Parry set to leave Liverpool Football Club
Feb 27 2009 World Exclusive By Tony Barrett

RICK Parry is set to leave Liverpool Football Club.

The ECHO understands Parry’s departure by mutual consent will be officially announced by Liverpool later today.

The long serving chief executive will not leave with immediate effect though with all parties in agreement that he will remain in position until the end of the current season.

Speculation will inevitably surface suggesting Parry has lost a power struggle with Reds boss Rafa Benítez but the ECHO understands the real reason for his power is an acknowledgement that his relationship with Tom Hicks is unworkable.

As yet, there are no indications about who will replace Parry when his time at the club comes to an end.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2009/02/27/rick-parry-set-to-leave-liverpool-football-club-100252-23025675/
I saw Saddam's hanging on YouTube and it made me think. It made me think... is there nothing on the Internet that I won't masturbate to?

royhendo

« Reply #849 on: February 27, 2009, 09:00:16 am »

Thanks ShanksLegend.

Wonder how this is gonna unfold now... was gonna get a bacon roll just then but now my stomach's doing cartwheels! The party line has always been 'yeah but we need Slick Rick on the board to stop them from loading debt on the club' etc etc... so where does this leave us?

Offline kev_goss

• Lost: Remote control puppy. Please help reunite a tearful child with his pride and joy
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Goodnight sweet girl gonna miss you
« Reply #850 on: February 27, 2009, 09:03:48 am »
Mmmmm bacon roll......Does this mean if coco goes will Rafa sign his contract very soon?
It is very important to generate a good attitude, a good heart, as much as possible. From this, happiness in both the short term and the long term for both yourself and others will come.
Dalai Lama

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #851 on: February 27, 2009, 09:05:08 am »
Effectively can they load more debt on the club, Royhendo? If the club is worth less than the loans atm, as informed posters suggest, then no bank would be comfortable with that scenario. Besides, I don't see them being able to raise more loans, for any purpose. As for the device of Kop Holdings - we all know that that is a chimera. Maybe this is why Parry has decided he may has well walk. If he WAS hanging on because he realised he'd ballsed up and wanted to try to prevent worse happening under the owners, there is now no point. Besides, Gillett may be about to sell, so he'd be pushed otherwise.
Brian Barwick is a bit of a clown, too, isn't he? Wasn't he the one who screwed up the FA's pursuit of Scolari?

Offline Miguel Sanchez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Proud member of the Witness Relocation Program
« Reply #852 on: February 27, 2009, 09:12:29 am »
Its in the times too:

From Times OnlineFebruary 27, 2009

Exclusive: Liverpool part company with chief executiveTony Evans
Rick Parry will part company with Liverpool today.

The chief executive, who has been embroiled in a power struggle with Rafael Benitez, will depart from Anfield, which will represent a massive victory for the manager.

Parry has been negotiating a pay-off for the past few weeks.

This development comes at the end of a fraught week for the club when rumours circulated that the manager had been dismissed. Benitez has emerged stronger after the victory against Real Madrid but the painful politics of Liverpool mean that even today's development does not make the manager's situation palpably clearer.

Gillett has found no buyer for his 50 per cent stake but this latest development opens the door to a change of ownership at Anfield because the co-owner has lost his last ally at the club.

More news to follow.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you...

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #853 on: February 27, 2009, 09:16:11 am »

Sounds about right. Too busy feathering his own nest to negotiate with Agger's agent.

Gillett not finding a buyer sounds depressing. 'More news to follow' sounds more like a threat than a promise.

royhendo

« Reply #854 on: February 27, 2009, 09:18:46 am »
Effectively can they load more debt on the club, Royhendo? If the club is worth less than the loans atm, as informed posters suggest, then no bank would be comfortable with that scenario. Besides, I don't see them being able to raise more loans, for any purpose. As for the device of Kop Holdings - we all know that that is a chimera. Maybe this is why Parry has decided he may has well walk. If he WAS hanging on because he realised he'd ballsed up and wanted to try to prevent worse happening under the owners, there is now no point. Besides, Gillett may be about to sell, so he'd be pushed otherwise.

This is just it mate - there are so many variables in play and it's a case of a big 'T' for 'turmoil' being stamped on our foreheads, because none of us (well, maybe some of us, but they can't say) really know.

The one thing we possibly can infer is that it's strengthened the Hicks position. I'm not sitting too comfortably with that notion, even if it does improve things for Rafa. It's a dilemma.

Offline buchigo!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #855 on: February 27, 2009, 09:30:44 am »
Sounds about right. Too busy feathering his own nest to negotiate with Agger's agent.

On a good note, considering his negotiation skills, I think he'll pay us.

two charlie uniform november tangos (via conference call): roffa we'll test your negotiation skills, rick's in the board room to discuss his severance...
(rafa enters the boardroom)
rick's lawyer (whispering): shut up rick and let me handle this ok?
rafa (sits down in a buddha position): rick, for sure, we've had our disagreements but for your services to the club, let me offer you a mil-
rick: milkshake! i drink your milkshake!
rick's lawyer:  :butt
(silence)
rafa: wait a second rick. let me think about this...
(goes out and pulls out his mobile. "oi jamie, montse and i have seats for dinner at your place no? fowler, i have a story to tell later. gather round the las. what a bloody idiot...")
rick (observing rafa): he's pulling out of the deal!
rick's lawyer: rick for fowler's sake shut up and let me handle this...
rafa (enters): well rick, i just think that for all the years you were in the club, you deserve somethin-
rick: i'll give you my house in the bahamas! plus a million pounds! ha! no one gets the better of rick parry!
rafa (rolls his eyes): fine rick..
rick's lawyer:  :butt

Offline Walter Sobchak

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Calmer than you are
« Reply #856 on: February 27, 2009, 09:32:51 am »
Its in the times too:

From Times OnlineFebruary 27, 2009

Exclusive: Liverpool part company with chief executiveTony Evans
Rick Parry will part company with Liverpool today.

The chief executive, who has been embroiled in a power struggle with Rafael Benítez, will depart from Anfield, which will represent a massive victory for the manager.

This development comes at the end of a fraught week for the club when rumours circulated that the manager had been dismissed. Benítez has emerged stronger after the victory against Real Madrid but the painful politics of Liverpool mean that even today's development does not make the manager's situation palpably clearer.

Gillett has found no buyer for his 50 per cent stake but this latest development opens the door to a change of ownership at Anfield because the co-owner has lost his last ally at the club.

More news to follow.

fuckin hell! massive news!

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #857 on: February 27, 2009, 09:36:03 am »
I very much doubt they can borrow any more money. We in negative equity as it is and unless significant gurantees are put up (which they probably dont have) there wont be any new loans. Also, dont forget they cant get loans for the stadium, and that is a sensible investment.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline jonnygeeart

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P L.F.C
« Reply #858 on: February 27, 2009, 09:37:17 am »
just hope it doesnt turn out that rafa has been played by hicks in his struggle for control of the club.Parry leavin before the texan T leaves a feelin of gloom.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 09:39:21 am by jonnygeeart »

Offline ricflairandy

• moany grumbling in my day the club gave you gold coins grump of a moaning bastard honestly national service for Suarez and another thing...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Whoooooooooooooo!
« Reply #859 on: February 27, 2009, 11:54:04 am »
There is an offer on the table from man city for rafa. Has been since last week
http://www.musclefood.com/AH6059
4 chicken breasts free!

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #860 on: February 27, 2009, 12:29:25 pm »
This posted on the other board - he makes it sound like there might be some movement on ownership, or that Rafa thinks there is going to be:

How will Parry exit affect Benítez talks? Guillem Balague

The folowing is typical of a question that many of you have been asking this morning, since it emerged that Rick Parry will be stepping down as Chief Executive of LFC.....

A reader, Ali, writes:"Guillem, does this mean that Rafa Benítez will now be signing the contact asap with Parry out of the way?"

The situation is changing all the time.

It is difficult to go into too much detail, but I think much of what will happen speaks for itself. For example, I can tell you that Rafa Benítez did not insist upon Parry leaving the club, nor was this a reason for the latest contract delay. However, ask yourselves the following questions: if you were Rafa Benítez right now and were being told that there could be either a change in ownership, or a continuation of the current ownership alongside new investors, would you not want to wait until you had confirmation of what the future structure at the club would be?

Furthermore, if you were a manager concerned with the implementation of a framework that will bring about the long term and continued success of Liverpool Football Club, would you not wait until you had assurances that any potential buyers, or investors, were not about to spend their entire finances on a takeover - effectively meaning that investment in playing personnel would be severely restricted over the coming seasons and effectively limited to promoting players from the youth ranks.

The immediate future is uncertain, and until the situation becomes clearer, we can only expect that there will be further developments and delays. There is at least one ray of hope: the American owners are scheduled to fly in to Liverpool for talks with Benítez` representatives next week.

http://www.guillembalague.com/rumores_desp.php?titulo=How%20will%20Parry%20exit%20affect%20Benitez%20talks?&id=177

Offline redmen77

• Legacy Fan
  • Prepared to die for the King!
« Reply #861 on: February 27, 2009, 12:40:51 pm »
This posted on the other board - he makes it sound like there might be some movement on ownership, or that Rafa thinks there is going to be:

The folowing is typical of a question that many of you have been asking this morning, since it emerged that Rick Parry will be stepping down as Chief Executive of LFC.....

A reader, Ali, writes:"Guillem, does this mean that Rafa Benítez will now be signing the contact asap with Parry out of the way?"

It is difficult to go into too much detail, but I think much of what will happen speaks for itself. For example, I can tell you that Rafa Benítez did not insist upon Parry leaving the club, nor was this a reason for the latest contract delay. However, ask yourselves the following questions: if you were Rafa Benítez right now and were being told that there could be either a change in ownership, or a continuation of the current ownership alongside new investors, would you not want to wait until you had confirmation of what the future structure at the club would be?

Furthermore, if you were a manager concerned with the implementation of a framework that will bring about the long term and continued success of Liverpool Football Club, would you not wait until you had assurances that any potential buyers, or investors, were not about to spend their entire finances on a takeover - effectively meaning that investment in playing personnel would be severely restricted over the coming seasons and effectively limited to promoting players from the youth ranks.

The immediate future is uncertain, and until the situation becomes clearer, we can only expect that there will be further developments and delays. There is at least one ray of hope: the American owners are scheduled to fly in to Liverpool for talks with Benítez` representatives next week.

http://www.guillembalague.com/rumores_desp.php?titulo=How%20will%20Parry%20exit%20affect%20Benitez%20talks?&id=177

A load of twaddle all of that. If he had assurances in his contract and it me all the conditions he asked for, why would he not sign it. If anything i would suggest that if a change of ownership was likely then it would be H&G who would be dragging their feet to allow the new owners to agree on a contract. All of Rafas posturings to get the deal sorted would suggest he wants it settled before that happens.

Offline scott

• Butterflies taste with their feet. An ostrich's eye is bigger than it's brain. Donkeys kill more people annually than plane crashes. Walt Disney was afraid of mice.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #862 on: February 27, 2009, 05:01:07 pm »
There is an offer on the table from man city for rafa. Has been since last week
really?
+61 ticket exchange

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #863 on: February 27, 2009, 05:38:20 pm »
Even with Parry leaving, Benitez's contract is not as cut and dried.

===============================================================

Benítez wants new deal talks
Spaniard hopeful discussions will take place within the next week

By Peter Fraser   Last updated: 27th February 2009

Benítez: Contract expires in the summer of 2010

Liverpool manager Rafa Benítez is optimistic his proposed new contract could be the subject of negotiations with the Anfield hierarchy within the next seven days.

Merseyside has been awash with speculation regarding off-field struggles and on Friday it was surprisingly announced that chief executive Rick Parry is to end his 12-year stay with the club at the end of the season.

Benítez's contract, which is due to expire in the summer of 2010, has been the main subject of the rumour mill, with reports that the Spaniard has refused drafted extensions offered by the club's American co-owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks repeatedly emerging.

Prior to Wednesday's UEFA Champions League victory at Real Madrid, bookmakers suspended markets on Benítez's future and it appeared the former Valencia boss, who is understood to be held in high regard at the Bernabeu, was set to quit England in May.

However, Benítez - who has already insisted that Parry's impending exit will have no influence upon his discussions - has repeated his desire to reach a positive conclusion with Liverpool.

Stumbling block

"We will have new talks maybe next week," said Benítez amidst suggestions that the stumbling block is his eagerness to secure full control of the club's transfer policy and academy recruitment plans.

"We will see whether we can progress, it is not about who is there or not at the moment, it is about the future.

"It is important to finalise my contract, but we have been working for months on this, so let's see where we go from here."

Benítez, though, has revealed that his representatives have still to meet with Hicks and Gillett, despite the ongoing saga at the Premier League title hopefuls.

"I have been talking about the need for the owners and my advisors to talk, and they are still to talk," he added.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4982045,00.html
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #864 on: February 27, 2009, 05:52:07 pm »
Even with Parry leaving, Benítez's contract is not as cut and dried.

===============================================================

Benítez wants new deal talks
Spaniard hopeful discussions will take place within the next week

By Peter Fraser   Last updated: 27th February 2009

Benítez: Contract expires in the summer of 2010

Liverpool manager Rafa Benítez is optimistic his proposed new contract could be the subject of negotiations with the Anfield hierarchy within the next seven days.

Merseyside has been awash with speculation regarding off-field struggles and on Friday it was surprisingly announced that chief executive Rick Parry is to end his 12-year stay with the club at the end of the season.

Benítez's contract, which is due to expire in the summer of 2010, has been the main subject of the rumour mill, with reports that the Spaniard has refused drafted extensions offered by the club's American co-owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks repeatedly emerging.

Prior to Wednesday's UEFA Champions League victory at Real Madrid, bookmakers suspended markets on Benítez's future and it appeared the former Valencia boss, who is understood to be held in high regard at the Bernabeu, was set to quit England in May.

However, Benítez - who has already insisted that Parry's impending exit will have no influence upon his discussions - has repeated his desire to reach a positive conclusion with Liverpool.

Stumbling block

"We will have new talks maybe next week," said Benítez amidst suggestions that the stumbling block is his eagerness to secure full control of the club's transfer policy and academy recruitment plans.

"We will see whether we can progress, it is not about who is there or not at the moment, it is about the future.

"It is important to finalise my contract, but we have been working for months on this, so let's see where we go from here."

Benítez, though, has revealed that his representatives have still to meet with Hicks and Gillett, despite the ongoing saga at the Premier League title hopefuls.

"I have been talking about the need for the owners and my advisors to talk, and they are still to talk," he added.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4982045,00.html

So after all the shite we , the fans , have gone through regarding this and Rafa's reps havent even spoken to the owners yet ?
I find that hard to believe personally
wtf is going on like ? ? :butt
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #865 on: February 27, 2009, 05:54:03 pm »

Dont know what to make of that but If it means Rafa wont signing until he knows the score on any ptoential takeover he gonna be waiting a very long time . . .
will it ever fuckin end ?
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #866 on: February 27, 2009, 05:56:57 pm »

long time no see SL . . .
Barwick would be a good shout I reckon . . . Liverpool fan and all that experience . . . .

wonder if he'll be CEO tho ?

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #867 on: February 27, 2009, 05:57:56 pm »
So after all the shite we , the fans , have gone through regarding this and Rafa's reps havent even spoken to the owners yet ?
I find that hard to believe personally
wtf is going on like ? ? :butt

The articles are rolling in thick and fast, and all I can say is they leave me with even more questions unanswered.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Times Online - Oliver Kay
February 27, 2009

Analysis: Rick Parry departure strengthens position of Tom Hicks and Rafael Benitez

Liverpool have been rocked yet again by news that Rick Parry, the chief executive, is to leave the club. Oliver Kay, The Times's Chief Football Correspondent, explains the significance of the latest development at Anfield

First of all, what does Rick Parry’s departure mean for Liverpool?

It could mean a variety of things, simply because of the number of different characters and agendas that he leaves behind at Anfield. Rafael Benitez might regard it as another battle won in his power struggle, or at least the removal of an obstacle from his path. Tom Hicks will regard it as a triumph, having first demanded Parry’s resignation last April. George Gillett Jr may find himself out on a limb, with Parry having been his ally in the boardroom.

And why has it happened today?

Well, it has been on the cards for a while. Parry has known for some time that his days were numbered. Hicks has been highly critical of the club’s lack of commercial success in the decade that Parry has been at Anfield, while Benitez has questioned Parry’s method of negotiating transfers. When Hicks demanded his resignation last April, Gillett blocked it, but Parry knew that the arrangement had become untenable in terms of working under Hicks. There are strong suggestions that Gillett finally relented after a disagreement with Parry over the rumours about Benitez’s position earlier this week.

Was Parry was one of the good guys?

He is an extremely good guy. His problem is that he, along with David Moores, the former chairman, made a poor decision to sell to Hicks and Gillett in February 2007 and they have regretted it ever since. Parry has tried to rise above the mudslinging that has been rife at Anfield ever since and tried to preserve something of what he calls “the Liverpool way”. But the whole affair has been ugly, meaning that little or nothing could get done. Something had to give and, sadly for Parry, it was him – to be followed, I strongly suspect, by Gillett’s departure.

Does this mean Benitez has got what he wants?

I think it’s important to look at the power struggle at Anfield as a war, not just one battle. Things at Anfield really have been that bad for the past 18 months. Benitez didn’t have a good working relationship with Parry, which was the source of a lot of problems for both of them. Unlike a lot of other fraught relationships at Anfield, it was purely a professional, rather than a personal, conflict, but I am pretty certain that Benitez will feel his own position is a little clearer this morning.

What was the problem between them?

Benitez often complained publicly about transfer deals or contracts that weren’t tied up quickly enough. He blamed Parry for that. Benitez’s view is that, with a different chief executive, he would have signed Nemanja Vidic, Daniel Alves, Gareth Barry and others. Parry’s view is that any “delays” were merely the kind that exist in any corporate structure. He would also argue that, with a different chief executive, Liverpool would not have invested large sums on Andrea Dossena, Lucas Leiva and others. It is a question of whether or not the manager should be accountable to his chief executive over transfers.

There were reports this morning that Liverpool wanted to replace Benitez with Jose Mourinho.

Well, if Liverpool sounded out Mourinho’s advisers, however tentatively, I suspect that had less to do with Hicks or Parry than with Gillett, who was the architect of the infamous talks with Jurgen Klinsmann in the autumn of 2007. But that is a big “if”. Contrary to this week’s rumours, Benitez’s position has been secure and will become increasingly so.

So what happens next?

Benitez will sign his contract soon – not purely because of today’s developments but because he was going to do so anyway. Parry is expected to stay on until the end of the season while a replacement is found. If an interim is needed, I suspect it will be Ian Ayre, the commercial director, or Philip Nash, the finance director. Either of those two, who were appointed by Hicks, could end up getting the post, but the word already from Anfield is that they will advertise the position in the hope of getting a top-quality candidate from outside the club.

And what happens with the owners?

Hicks, having been very open to selling last year, is going nowhere. He has built up a strong power base over the past six months or so and his alliance with Benitez has become powerful. As for Gillett, he has been looking to offload his stake for more than 12 months and today’s news leaves him with even less reason to stay around. There were strong rumours yesterday that an announcement today would be about Gillett finding a buyer and selling up immediately. In the end, the story was a different one, but I am sure Gillett’s departure will not be too far away.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article5814391.ece
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline ricflairandy

• moany grumbling in my day the club gave you gold coins grump of a moaning bastard honestly national service for Suarez and another thing...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Whoooooooooooooo!
« Reply #868 on: February 27, 2009, 06:05:23 pm »
4 chicken breasts free!

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #869 on: February 27, 2009, 06:09:55 pm »
Disclaimer: The above post may not be based on facts even if stated as fact.

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #870 on: February 27, 2009, 06:11:05 pm »
The articles are rolling in thick and fast, and all I can say is they leave me with even more questions unanswered.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Times Online - Oliver Kay
February 27, 2009

Analysis: Rick Parry departure strengthens position of Tom Hicks and Rafael Benítez

Liverpool have been rocked yet again by news that Rick Parry, the chief executive, is to leave the club. Oliver Kay, The Times's Chief Football Correspondent, explains the significance of the latest development at Anfield

First of all, what does Rick Parry’s departure mean for Liverpool?

It could mean a variety of things, simply because of the number of different characters and agendas that he leaves behind at Anfield. Rafael Benítez might regard it as another battle won in his power struggle, or at least the removal of an obstacle from his path. Tom Hicks will regard it as a triumph, having first demanded Parry’s resignation last April. George Gillett Jr may find himself out on a limb, with Parry having been his ally in the boardroom.

And why has it happened today?

Well, it has been on the cards for a while. Parry has known for some time that his days were numbered. Hicks has been highly critical of the club’s lack of commercial success in the decade that Parry has been at Anfield, while Benítez has questioned Parry’s method of negotiating transfers. When Hicks demanded his resignation last April, Gillett blocked it, but Parry knew that the arrangement had become untenable in terms of working under Hicks. There are strong suggestions that Gillett finally relented after a disagreement with Parry over the rumours about Benítez’s position earlier this week.

Was Parry was one of the good guys?

He is an extremely good guy. His problem is that he, along with David Moores, the former chairman, made a poor decision to sell to Hicks and Gillett in February 2007 and they have regretted it ever since. Parry has tried to rise above the mudslinging that has been rife at Anfield ever since and tried to preserve something of what he calls “the Liverpool way”. But the whole affair has been ugly, meaning that little or nothing could get done. Something had to give and, sadly for Parry, it was him – to be followed, I strongly suspect, by Gillett’s departure.

Does this mean Benítez has got what he wants?

I think it’s important to look at the power struggle at Anfield as a war, not just one battle. Things at Anfield really have been that bad for the past 18 months. Benítez didn’t have a good working relationship with Parry, which was the source of a lot of problems for both of them. Unlike a lot of other fraught relationships at Anfield, it was purely a professional, rather than a personal, conflict, but I am pretty certain that Benítez will feel his own position is a little clearer this morning.

What was the problem between them?

Benítez often complained publicly about transfer deals or contracts that weren’t tied up quickly enough. He blamed Parry for that. Benítez’s view is that, with a different chief executive, he would have signed Nemanja Vidic, Daniel Alves, Gareth Barry and others. Parry’s view is that any “delays” were merely the kind that exist in any corporate structure. He would also argue that, with a different chief executive, Liverpool would not have invested large sums on Andrea Dossena, Lucas Leiva and others. It is a question of whether or not the manager should be accountable to his chief executive over transfers.

There were reports this morning that Liverpool wanted to replace Benítez with Jose Mourinho.

Well, if Liverpool sounded out Mourinho’s advisers, however tentatively, I suspect that had less to do with Hicks or Parry than with Gillett, who was the architect of the infamous talks with Jurgen Klinsmann in the autumn of 2007. But that is a big “if”. Contrary to this week’s rumours, Benítez’s position has been secure and will become increasingly so.

So what happens next?

Benítez will sign his contract soon – not purely because of today’s developments but because he was going to do so anyway. Parry is expected to stay on until the end of the season while a replacement is found. If an interim is needed, I suspect it will be Ian Ayre, the commercial director, or Philip Nash, the finance director. Either of those two, who were appointed by Hicks, could end up getting the post, but the word already from Anfield is that they will advertise the position in the hope of getting a top-quality candidate from outside the club.

And what happens with the owners?

Hicks, having been very open to selling last year, is going nowhere. He has built up a strong power base over the past six months or so and his alliance with Benítez has become powerful. As for Gillett, he has been looking to offload his stake for more than 12 months and today’s news leaves him with even less reason to stay around. There were strong rumours yesterday that an announcement today would be about Gillett finding a buyer and selling up immediately. In the end, the story was a different one, but I am sure Gillett’s departure will not be too far away.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article5814391.ece

Fuckin ell , I wouldnt hold Oli Kay to any of that personally , again he had to write an article and thats the best he could come out with , dont believe any of it . . . .

But with Parry going now I expect Gillett to be gone aswell , maybe at the same time . . Ive always maintained that Hicks will not sell up unless its an offer he just cant afford to refuse , Liverpool FC is the best thing on his books regarding potential marketing income and if gets that stadium built he'll be around for 20 odd years

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #871 on: February 27, 2009, 06:12:38 pm »
yes

total bollox , not knocking you personally mate but its bollox

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #872 on: February 27, 2009, 07:13:29 pm »
It makes sense that Man City would try and get Rafa.  He's unsettled here, but his family want to stay in the NW.  He's got pedigree, and he'll tempt a level of players that they can't at the moment.....not saying he'd take the job or anything, but it makes sense they'd at least try and talk to him.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline Gedo

• Tube Blower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #873 on: February 27, 2009, 07:28:43 pm »
Rafa contract was all sorted about 10 days ago,then Gillett didn't like the wording of 1 or 2 issues and "threw a few hand Grenades in" which sent the apple cart ski-whiff.
That's when all the rumours started.

Offline ricflairandy

• Legacy Fan
  • Whoooooooooooooo!
« Reply #874 on: February 27, 2009, 07:39:31 pm »
how reliable is your sauce?

Comes from a player in the liverpool squad.
4 chicken breasts free!

Offline ricflairandy

• Legacy Fan
  • Whoooooooooooooo!
« Reply #875 on: February 27, 2009, 07:40:38 pm »
It makes sense that Man City would try and get Rafa.  He's unsettled here, but his family want to stay in the NW.  He's got pedigree, and he'll tempt a level of players that they can't at the moment.....not saying he'd take the job or anything, but it makes sense they'd at least try and talk to him.

Oh, and from what im told hes not interested in city btw. However the offer is there if he wants it.
4 chicken breasts free!

Offline ricflairandy

• Legacy Fan
  • Whoooooooooooooo!
« Reply #876 on: February 27, 2009, 07:44:45 pm »
total bollox , not knocking you personally mate but its bollox

ok
4 chicken breasts free!

Offline manifest

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #877 on: February 27, 2009, 09:04:31 pm »
Rafa contract was all sorted about 10 days ago,then Gillett didn't like the wording of 1 or 2 issues and "threw a few hand Grenades in" which sent the apple cart ski-whiff.
That's when all the rumours started.

cheers. sounds like it's time to send the men in white coats and start committal proceedings on poor george .... maybe he has lost it.

Offline Drewas

• Kopite
  • Rotate on this!
« Reply #878 on: February 27, 2009, 10:55:20 pm »
Just heard Tony Evans on the radio who apparently was the journalist who broke the Parry story and is often on LFC.tv. I know what its like on here if he says something nice people says hes a good journalist but if he dare says anything against the club then hes a prick. He basically said Rafa will not sign a contract until the club is taken over which could happen before June or Hicks get majority control, for which if Gillett agrees to sell he has to offer Hicks 2% of his share. He also said that Gillett tried again this week to get Rafa sacked but failed because he had no support from the club.

Posted on TLW. Anyone catch the interview?

If true could explain this weeks crazy sequence of events. Well partly.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 10:58:09 pm by Drewas »

Offline StormyDog

• You know had only 4 shots on target
  • Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be Heroes
« Reply #879 on: February 27, 2009, 11:01:22 pm »
So we know who leaked the rumors on wednesday then ?

Nice one on the eve of one of our biggest games you little fucker
Pep Guardiola: "We knew immediately when the draw was made - Anfield, they won it five times, the fans believe - it will be hard. We were beaten by an exceptional team."