Author Topic: Wheres Rafa''s new contract?  (Read 154274 times)

Offline manifest

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Wheres Rafa''s new contract?
« Reply #760 on: February 25, 2009, 05:06:37 pm »
And Sky Sports News sources understands that Liverpool's final preparations for the game, which can be seen live on Sky Sports 2, have continued as normal.

A source close to the said: "Rafa is not going to be sacked, such suggestions are ridiculous.

"We are aware of the rumours and speculation that has been buzzing around in Madrid but it is just not true.

"This has not bothered the manager or the team. Everything we have done since we arrived in Madrid has been spot on.

"Nobody has even mentioned this and we are surprised that such suggestions have been raised. Rafa Benítez is not about to be sacked by Liverpool."

SSN has added some more stuff on the same story

it occurs to me that real madrid, with their 'we're not chasing ronaldo' chase of ronaldo, might be behind this whole thing....it blew up just as we got to madrid, who, right now, might profit from instability in the liverpool camp, and rafas contract would be the weak spot right now.....I wonder if those 300 calls that closed the betting came from madrid ...?

Anyway, the whole thing is a crock of shit.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #761 on: February 25, 2009, 05:08:38 pm »
it occurs to me that real madrid, with their 'we're not chasing ronaldo' chase of ronaldo, might be behind this whole thing....it blew up just as we got to madrid, who, right now, might profit from instability in the liverpool camp, and rafas contract would be the weak spot right now.....I wonder if those 300 calls that closed the betting came from madrid ...?

Anyway, the whole thing is a crock of shit.

I think it may well work against them

the players will want to prove the unity in the squad and put in a performance that leaves no one in any doubt that rafa is the right man for the job.

That and the fact Torres is desperate to score there.....

Offline Walter Sobchak

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Calmer than you are
« Reply #762 on: February 25, 2009, 05:11:21 pm »
i always enjoy reading Jim Boardmans articles

Offline manifest

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #763 on: February 25, 2009, 05:26:05 pm »
I think it may well work against them

the players will want to prove the unity in the squad and put in a performance that leaves no one in any doubt that rafa is the right man for the job.

That and the fact Torres is desperate to score there.....

agreed......I think they've become so used to doing this stuff, they've stopped noticing that it doesn't work.....like royhendo's sig. " "The will to survive is not the strongest instinct in human beings. The strongest instinct in human beings is to do what is familiar."  Virginia Satir.

that's if you buy the conspiracy at all!!!!

Offline ricflairandy

• moany grumbling in my day the club gave you gold coins grump of a moaning bastard honestly national service for Suarez and another thing...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Whoooooooooooooo!
« Reply #764 on: February 25, 2009, 07:36:49 pm »
some sort of official statement from the club would be welcomed.

also be interested to read kennys next piece on the official site

yeah right, like somthing official will come from the club.
http://www.musclefood.com/AH6059
4 chicken breasts free!

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #765 on: February 25, 2009, 08:41:00 pm »
want to justify your ramblings with any possible facts, rather than just your pathetic hate shite?

Yes I fuckin hate them and want them out, I shouldnt have to explain because they have done more harm than good since they arrived here.
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline mjgill85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bees? Beads?
« Reply #766 on: February 25, 2009, 09:45:30 pm »
Well Carragher just said it was a load of nonsense :thumbup
@_michaelgill

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #767 on: February 25, 2009, 10:13:35 pm »
Yes I fuckin hate them and want them out, I shouldnt have to explain because they have done more harm than good since they arrived here.

do you seriously think they want rafa out though?

fucking love that man, just straight talking

Offline Liverbird 2010

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #768 on: February 25, 2009, 10:20:25 pm »

Erm............

Offline mjgill85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bees? Beads?
« Reply #769 on: February 25, 2009, 10:24:03 pm »
Erm............
Are you going to believe some bloke sitting in an office at William Hill or someone who's spent most of the last 2 days with Rafa?
@_michaelgill

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #770 on: February 25, 2009, 10:26:49 pm »
Are you going to believe some bloke sitting in an office at William Hill or someone who's spent most of the last 2 days with Rafa?

i think wires may have got crossed, not sure though ;)

Offline mjgill85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bees? Beads?
« Reply #771 on: February 25, 2009, 10:28:56 pm »
i think wires may have got crossed, not sure though ;)
Ah. Sorry Lyndsey
@_michaelgill

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #772 on: February 25, 2009, 10:36:04 pm »
fyi graeme souness if you see this - don't call out rafa for taking putting the board in a tough position, you really cannot call someone out for stuff like that

Offline Liverbird 2010

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #773 on: February 25, 2009, 10:39:40 pm »

Sorry mate I remember carra being asked the same about Houllier maybe you wasnt a Liverpool fan at the time?

Offline ricflairandy

• moany grumbling in my day the club gave you gold coins grump of a moaning bastard honestly national service for Suarez and another thing...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Whoooooooooooooo!
« Reply #774 on: February 25, 2009, 11:06:16 pm »
fyi graeme souness if you see this - don't call out rafa for taking putting the board in a tough position, you really cannot call someone out for stuff like that

He was asked a question, and answerd in his opinion. I think he was wrong, however some of the whoppers on here come out with far worse and so do some of our other ex players.

Hes as big a red as anyone, despite what people think. His time as manager was bad, but hes still our best ever midfielder.
http://www.musclefood.com/AH6059
4 chicken breasts free!

Offline Super MAC

• ....and a nice pair of trousers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #775 on: February 25, 2009, 11:06:30 pm »
Skybet prices

Dalglish K 3/1   Lippi M 14/1   McLaren S 50/1 
  Mourinho J 10/1   Schuster B 14/1   Capello F 50/1 
  Ancelotti C 12/1   Klinsmann J 20/1   Souness G 66/1 
  Hiddink G 12/1   Coppell S 25/1   Vialli G 66/1 
  Rijkaard F 12/1   Hughes M 25/1   Fowler R 100/1 
  Scolari P 12/1   Koeman R 25/1   McManaman S 100/1 
  Van Basten M 12/1   Jewell P 33/1   Keegan K 125/1 
  Ince P 14/1   Redknapp H 40/1   Molby J 150/1 
  O Neill M 14/1   Toshack J 50/1   Whelan R 150/1 

Quite funny mix, wouldn't waste my dough on any of them

That list is fucking pathetic, why would anyone put 50p on 99% of those names, they should be starting at 100000-1 quotes in the main McClaren 50-1? Coppell 25-1? McManaman 100-1? what a waste of time, absolute bollocks even more so given Rafa is going nowere
All governments are lying cocksuckers - Bill Hicks

Offline Drewas

• Kopite
  • Rotate on this!
« Reply #776 on: February 25, 2009, 11:20:20 pm »
Benítez Rumour Not True

In the last few hours the site has been inundated with emails asking if I can shed any light on the rumour that Rafa Benítez is on the brink of being sacked by Liverpool Football Club this evening.

There are reports that betting has been suspended on this particular market and the rumour that Benítez will be gone by the morning has spread like wildfire around the Liverpool supporters out here in Madrid and on the internet.

If I am honst, I am not entirely comfortable indulging in these stories at the moment as there is so much mis-information being spread around that it is impossible to respond accurately to every single report or rumour. However, because of the number of people who are getting in touch with us today, I feel I should respond.

I can say with absolute certainty, categorically, that Rafa Benítez will not be sacked as manager of Liverpool this evening and that these rumours are not true.

At the moment, the situation is delicate - and there have been developments with regard to the ongoing contractual negotiations at Anfield – and this is something that we will discuss here, on the website, once the Real Madrid fixture has been concluded in a couple of weeks time.

Guillems take on procedings.

http://www.guillembalague.com/rumores_desp.php?titulo=Benítez%20Rumour%20Not%20True&id=175

« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 11:23:04 pm by Drewas »

Online HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #777 on: February 25, 2009, 11:35:31 pm »
From Times Online
February 25, 2009

Rafael Benítez still undermined by contract problems
Tony Evans, Football Editor, Madrid

Have there have been many better homecomings? Rafael Benítez stood below the steep stands of the Bernabéu last night while the Madridistas gasped in shocked silence after Yossi Benayoun gave Liverpool the lead in the first leg of the Champions League first knockout round. Yet, far from smugness, Benítez must have felt the weight of the world upon him. This should have been a triumphant night for the Madrid-born manager but, instead, it was another unpleasant day in the life of Liverpool Football Club.

From early morning, rumours circulated that the Spaniard was about to be dismissed, or resign, depending on the source of the gossip. Benítez is indeed at the end of his tether — the tortuous politics of Anfield would depress the most upbeat of managers — but this remains a man committed to his task. Back at the Bernabéu, where he began his career as a coach with Real Madrid’s youth teams in 1986, it should have been a night of triumph for the Liverpool manager, win, draw or lose.

Instead, bookmakers suspended betting on whether Benítez would wake up this morning in charge of Liverpool and wild rumours circulated suggesting that Kenny Dalglish would take over and fill the void left by Benítez, if only on a temporary basis. The reality is different. Benítez, a man who has a European Cup on his CV, is angry. He feels that the leadership at Anfield — and that means Rick Parry, the chief executive, rather than the owners — has let him down badly.

There is massive dissension between the Americans — Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr are barely on speaking terms — but the Spaniard’s difficulties have been at a local level. Until there is a resolution in the conflict between manager and chief executive, Benítez will struggle to create a team that he believes in.
Related Links

The Hicks camp responded with annoyance yesterday to suggestions that Benítez would leave the club but Gillett would gladly see the back of the manager who orchestrated the miracle of Istanbul in 2005. Benítez agreed to sign a new contract at Anfield before Christmas but has not put his signature on a long-term agreement. Each time the Liverpool owners make a verbal commitment to the manager, the written document comes back without the assurances that the manager had been looking for.

Gillett would be rid of Benítez in a moment — he has even questioned his stability. But, once again, the Liverpool manager has proved that he is a serious player on the big stage. There will be a vacancy at the Bernabéu in the summer. Even if Benítez is not appreciated at Anfield, the bigwigs in Madrid know a world-class manager when they see one.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article5805430.ece
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #778 on: February 25, 2009, 11:40:05 pm »
Skybet prices

Dalglish K 3/1   Lippi M 14/1   McLaren S 50/1 
  Mourinho J 10/1   Schuster B 14/1   Capello F 50/1 
  Ancelotti C 12/1   Klinsmann J 20/1   Souness G 66/1 
  Hiddink G 12/1   Coppell S 25/1   Vialli G 66/1 
  Rijkaard F 12/1   Hughes M 25/1   Fowler R 100/1 
  Scolari P 12/1   Koeman R 25/1   McManaman S 100/1 
  Van Basten M 12/1   Jewell P 33/1   Keegan K 125/1 
  Ince P 14/1   Redknapp H 40/1   Molby J 150/1 
  O Neill M 14/1   Toshack J 50/1   Whelan R 150/1 

Quite funny mix, wouldn't waste my dough on any of them

The only prices that matter are the prices our horrible owners will be looking at.

Progression in the CL bears the only real fruit that matters to them.

That's why Rafa's contract will be sorted. No problem.

Sadly, that's also why he isn't being backed financially for the league campaign. They've seen what he can do in the CL and that'll do them, financially.

Or am I wrong?

Offline Drewas

• Kopite
  • Rotate on this!
« Reply #779 on: February 25, 2009, 11:44:06 pm »
The only prices that matter are the prices our horrible owners will be looking at.

Progression in the CL bears the only real fruit that matters to them.

That's why Rafa's contract will be sorted. No problem.

Sadly, that's also why he isn't being backed financially for the league campaign. They've seen what he can do in the CL and that'll do them, financially.

Or am I wrong?

Think your right unfortunately.

Its unfortunate that the one person who is consistantly delivering results is the only one whos job is under threat?

Really need to get shot of them all starting with Parry.

Offline lfc_bhoy

• muppet
  • Legacy Fan
  • You is getting twatted, possibilities no-FS
« Reply #780 on: February 26, 2009, 07:58:08 am »
Think your right unfortunately.

Its unfortunate that the one person who is consistantly delivering results is the only one whos job is under threat?

Really need to get shot of them all starting with Parry.

Please don't take this personally, and please don't think I'm defending the Thick's bothers, but that's a load of shite.  Business people care about money and money alone and while they are happy with the CL income they would take the League and all the subsequent revenue it would bring in a heart beat.  While I think they are sabotaging the team indirectly by not getting Rafa signed back up and by keeping Coco a simple cost/benefit analysis would show that winning the League would be worth any bit of investment.  I don't think they will do this because I think they're planning on selling up soon.
"Because like Bill Shankly, on more days and nights than those expert pundits ever care to recall, he made the people happy."

"There was no other color in the middle of the field except the red of Liverpool"

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #781 on: February 26, 2009, 08:05:58 am »
The 'faces' involved and sums wagered tell you this is not mug money

Wonder who put the money on Rafa to LEAVE ..  must be a face we all know

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #782 on: February 26, 2009, 08:58:58 am »
The most important thing is that we secured a superb result in Madrid, as for the rest.....................

There has never been any evidence that G&H want Rafa to leave, and every commercial and footballing reason for them to want him to stay.

I do believe that Rafa may have made contractual demands which are unacceptable to G&H, propmpting a "take it or leave it" response. I also believe that Rafa may be reaching a point where he feels there is little prospect of him being able to do much better than he is under the current regime.

Suspension of betting is not about unsubstantiated rumour, it is about bookmakers reacting to a volume of "serious" bets such that they have good reason to believe that individuals have priveleged information and they stand to lose a lot of money. I suspect that the source comes from individuals close to contract negotiations.

I am critical of Rafa, and the Club, for entering into contract discusions mid season, and in particular during this vital run in.But understandably Rafa may feel that this is the point of maximum leverage.

G&H's inexperience, division, and weakness is demonstrated by their lack of balls in not saying that contract discussions will recommence, and be concluded, after the last ball of the season has been kicked.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline LukeD

• Middle aged perv on the school bus. Can't cope with massively fat tongues.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #783 on: February 26, 2009, 09:09:56 am »
The 'faces' involved and sums wagered tell you this is not mug money

Wonder who put the money on Rafa to LEAVE ..  must be a face we all know
Are you being serious?!  Surely that would be insider dealing or something to that effect?

Offline redrockydennis

• Annie Wilkes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • gonna paint me jarg wheelie bin purple
« Reply #784 on: February 26, 2009, 09:13:28 am »
i reckon we get a shitload of us together, about 300 maybe, and place bets on mr ferguson being sacked, just to see what happens.
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes,
of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

Offline Regi

• mental
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're caught in a Trap
« Reply #785 on: February 26, 2009, 09:50:30 am »

to be honest mate, I listened intently to Souness last night and I think he made a very valid point.
What he said was that while Rafa getting full power over transfers may seem a good idea (especially to us fans), it is potentially a major stumbling block to getting new owners, because new owners are not likely to be satisfied with paying a fortune for a football club, but then having very little power over transfers.
It's common sense in many ways...It's hard to imagine any owner coming in and immediately sacrificing all transfer power to a man they have never met or worked with.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting Rafa is out of order, and I don't think Souness was suggesting that either.
He was merely pointing out that the delicacy of the situation at Liverpool, with the owners actively seeking to sell the club, made the timing of Rafa's demands very awkward and difficult to agree to.

As such, it made me think last night that there would have to be some temporary middle ground found, or else Rafa will just wait until the club is sold and enter contract negotiations with the new owners, who may be more amenable and agreeable to his vision for the club.
Perhaps if Parry is sacked at the end of his contract, Rafa would be appeased for a while, and content to sit tight and re-enter contract talks later in the year?
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come
Lester Freamon

Offline Bogman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #786 on: February 26, 2009, 10:03:43 am »
Benitez calms Anfield exit talk 

Benitez has hinted that he will remain at Liverpool
Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has given a big hint he is prepared to commit his long-term future to the Anfield club.

The Spaniard has been locked in talks about a new contract for several weeks, prompting speculation he could leave.

But following Wednesday's 1-0 Champions League win over Real Madrid, he said his future could be resolved soon.

He said: "My lawyers and advisors have been talking to the club's owners on Wednesday about the contract and I feel the problems we have can be overcome."

Benitez has been discussing a new four-year deal, but it is believed American owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks have balked at some of his demands.

That has led to wild speculation, some of which surfaced before Wednesday's game in Madrid.

A flurry of bets led some bookmakers to suspend betting on Benitez leaving Anfield before the end of the week.

But he insisted the rumours were wide of the mark and said talk of his exit came as a surprise.

"I can assure you that I have not been considering such a move, and it was a shock to hear such suggestions," said Benitez.

"It needs to be clear that I was not thinking of resigning. My aim is to keep working and winning and to tell the owners that on the pitch."  PHIL McNULTY BLOG
No-one can have any doubts about Rafael Benitez's expertise at navigating his way around Europe

BBC Sport's Phil McNulty 

The former Valencia boss, who became Liverpool manager in 2004, is certain an agreement over his future will be reached.

"I expect talks to continue between my lawyers, my advisors, myself and the owners," said Benitez.

"I am really pleased with my position at the club, I have not been thinking about resigning.

"My aim is to win every game that is possible for this club, and my advisors will continue to talk. We will see what happens then.

"We are still talking, so we will see what happens. I was not thinking about resigning, obviously I cannot control other things that I could be fired, but I was just concentrating on the game.

"The club has made it clear this rumour was not true. That is important for everyone. Stability is the key if you want to be successful."

Yossi Benayoun gave Liverpool a 1-0 win at the Bernabeu in the first leg of their last-16 tie.

The Israeli headed home Fabio Aurelio's free-kick with eight minutes remaining.

"We knew they had problems at set pieces so we were trying to benefit from that," said Benitez. "Yossi is better in the air than people think."

The Reds boss, who left Steven Gerrard on the bench and revealed after the match that striker Fernando Torres had been injured early on, also praised the rest of the team.

"We knew it could be difficult because Real Madrid are a team with quality and we needed to work really hard," he said.

"We were trying to go also on the counter-attack because we knew how important it was to score an away goal.

"To see Torres limping from the first minute and without Steven Gerrard, it is a fantastic result."

Benitez expects Torres to miss Saturday's trip to Middlesbrough with his ankle injury, but believes Gerrard could start the game.

Real Madrid had won their last nine games under temporary manager Juande Ramos but rarely looked like breaking through the Liverpool defence as they struggled for any kind of fluency.

"We wanted to try and score a few goals for the second leg but Liverpool played their game and were very good in defence," said former Tottenham boss Ramos.

"They scored from a set-piece but it was meant to be a 0-0 as there were hardly any chances from either side.

"We were unlucky to concede and now we need to win in Anfield. We are behind in the tie, but it is far from over as we are capable of winning anywhere."

I saw Saddam's hanging on YouTube and it made me think. It made me think... is there nothing on the Internet that I won't masturbate to?

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #787 on: February 26, 2009, 10:24:45 am »
What he said was that while Rafa getting full power over transfers may seem a good idea (especially to us fans), it is potentially a major stumbling block to getting new owners, because new owners are not likely to be satisfied with paying a fortune for a football club, but then having very little power over transfers.

Except you're ignoring the fact that Souness's points were made using erroneous information. Rafa has made it clear he has not asked for 'full power' over transfers. Clearly, he is not trying to be unaccountable to the owners, simply to by-pass Parry. Souness kept comparing Rafa's situation at LFC with what he was used to in Spain - saying it is more power than he has ever had before. It took the other Sky pundits to mention that Ferguson and Wenger enjoyed the sort of control Rafa was seeking. (They didn't mention O'Neill etc etc) So what if it's more power than he enjoyed in Spain; if it's what's needed to guarantee some effectiveness in the transfer market, he should have it - I for one do not believe this caricature of Rafa as a meglomaniac control-freak. If nothing else, his working relationship with Hicks proves he is a pragmatist above everything; I am sure he well understands owners will want to okay his transfer targets and set seasonal budgets.

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #788 on: February 26, 2009, 10:40:22 am »
Except you're ignoring the fact that Souness's points were made using erroneous information. Rafa has made it clear he has not asked for 'full power' over transfers. Clearly, he is not trying to be unaccountable to the owners, simply to by-pass Parry. Souness kept comparing Rafa's situation at LFC with what he was used to in Spain - saying it is more power than he has ever had before. It took the other Sky pundits to mention that Ferguson and Wenger enjoyed the sort of control Rafa was seeking. (They didn't mention O'Neill etc etc) So what if it's more power than he enjoyed in Spain; if it's what's needed to guarantee some effectiveness in the transfer market, he should have it - I for one do not believe this caricature of Rafa as a meglomaniac control-freak. If nothing else, his working relationship with Hicks proves he is a pragmatist above everything; I am sure he well understands owners will want to okay his transfer targets and set seasonal budgets.

Well said.

I was really disappointed that Graeme Souness perpetuated the notion (spawned by the slavering media) that Rafa needed to clarify the situation and lay any doubt to rest, and that his saying nothing somehow spoke volumes.

Rafa doesn't answer to the media. I wouldn't want a situation where the club has to respond to every rumour going around. That gives power to the rumour-mongers, creating a vicious circle.

Offline Regi

• mental
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're caught in a Trap
« Reply #789 on: February 26, 2009, 11:10:07 am »

Mate I agree that Rafa needs more control and needs rid of Parry.
I'm just saying that Souness provided some explanation of why it's delicate at this time...ie, it's going to be for the new owners to agree this with Rafa, not the current idiots, if as expected the club changes hands in some form.

Souness was put on the spot as to why the contract wasn't signed...I just think he provided a possible explanation, whic made a lot of sense.
If Rafa gets what he wants from new owners then I'll be delighted...let me make that clear
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come
Lester Freamon

Online HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #790 on: February 26, 2009, 11:14:04 am »
Listening to Souness last night, gave the impression he was touting for Rafa's job. "Hey look at me, I won't ask for control, just give us Rafa's job".  ;) That's what I thought anyway.

Offline Regi

• mental
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're caught in a Trap
« Reply #791 on: February 26, 2009, 11:16:35 am »
Listening to Souness last night, gave the impression he was touting for Rafa's job. "Hey look at me, I won't ask for control, just give us Rafa's job".  ;) That's what I thought anyway.

;)
I can't agree.
I thought he was trying to answer the questions as diplomatically as possible given where he was sitting.
Lester Freamon

Online HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #792 on: February 26, 2009, 11:32:36 am »
;)
I can't agree.
I thought he was trying to answer the questions as diplomatically as possible given where he was sitting.

That's what I thought at the start of his speach when he said positive things about Rafa, and then went overboard to say no manager in Spain or anywhere gets this amount of control, until he was reminded by Gullit that Ferguson is one such manager. I know he tried to qualify that a little by saying Fergie has been there for 22 years but clubs do not operate this way anymore.

Souness is surely not fully aware of what Rafa is asking for, but most of us here take Rafa at his word when he says he does not want full control, and certainly not control of the funds, hence I was annoyed Souness took it upon himself to go on national tv to say those negative things about Rafa's contract. I never thought he was diplomatic, just a little slimy.

Offline Regi

• mental
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're caught in a Trap
« Reply #793 on: February 26, 2009, 11:34:20 am »
That's what I thought at the start of his speach when he said positive things about Rafa, and then went overboard to say no manager in Spain or anywhere gets this amount of control, until he was reminded by Gullit that Ferguson is one such manager. I know he tried to qualify that a little by saying Fergie has been there for 22 years but clubs do not operate this way anymore.

Souness is surely not fully aware of what Rafa is asking for, but most of us here take Rafa at his word when he says he does not want full control, and certainly not control of the funds, hence I was annoyed Souness took it upon himself to go on national tv to say those negative things about Rafa's contract. I never thought he was diplomatic, just a little slimy.

Maybe you're right...
Then again, I think he was put on the spot by Keys, who I despise.
Had Souness not said what he did, or stayed silent, I think the negativity would have been much worse because Keys would have used Souness's silence to stir the pot
Lester Freamon

Online HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #794 on: February 26, 2009, 11:40:06 am »
Maybe you're right...
Then again, I think he was put on the spot by Keys, who I despise.
Had Souness not said what he did, or stayed silent, I think the negativity would have been much worse because Keys would have used Souness's silence to stir the pot

Well, Keys is certainly odious.

Offline guyko21

• Kopite
« Reply #795 on: February 26, 2009, 12:14:26 pm »
Well, Keys is certainly odious.
Paranoid nonsense ... sorry Harry ... but you're talking bobbins there, which is a bit out of character as you usually talk sense. 

Keys in neither for nor against LFC any more than he is any other club except Coventry who he supports. 

Keys is paid to raise topics to for the panel to debate.  He did that ... Souey was a bit naive in his answers, as surely he must know that Wenger, O'Neill and Fergie all have the levels of control that Rafa is asking. 

The problem is that most footie panels are more ignorant of the details of any particular club than we are because we follow the club inch by inch, and therefore they make ignorant comments and mistakes.  But they do it for all clubs not just Liverpool. 

Trust me, there ain't a conspiracy against Liverpool Football Club.  In fact, I think the media would love it, just love it, if we won the Premiership as that would be a real story, and there's more romance with Liverpool than any other club in the UK. 

For example, most journos have publicly said that Anfield and Liverpool is special.  Even last night they were all eulogizing how special Anfield was on European nights ... I bet most folks on here chose to forget that 5-minute segment because it didn't justify the ridiculous paranoia that so many LFC fans seem to have that the media hates us. 

I don't believe the media hates us one bit.  The fact is that we are one of the biggest stories in the football world, and with our current shambolic setup we're ripe for picking as there's innuendo and intrigue at every turn. 

Online HarryLabrador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #796 on: February 26, 2009, 12:27:10 pm »
Paranoid nonsense ... sorry Harry ... but you're talking bobbins there, which is a bit out of character as you usually talk sense. 

Keys in neither for nor against LFC any more than he is any other club except Coventry who he supports. 

Keys is paid to raise topics to for the panel to debate.  He did that ... Souey was a bit naive in his answers, as surely he must know that Wenger, O'Neill and Fergie all have the levels of control that Rafa is asking. 

The problem is that most footie panels are more ignorant of the details of any particular club than we are because we follow the club inch by inch, and therefore they make ignorant comments and mistakes.  But they do it for all clubs not just Liverpool. 

Trust me, there ain't a conspiracy against Liverpool Football Club.  In fact, I think the media would love it, just love it, if we won the Premier League as that would be a real story, and there's more romance with Liverpool than any other club in the UK. 

For example, most journos have publicly said that Anfield and Liverpool is special.  Even last night they were all eulogizing how special Anfield was on European nights ... I bet most folks on here chose to forget that 5-minute segment because it didn't justify the ridiculous paranoia that so many LFC fans seem to have that the media hates us. 

I don't believe the media hates us one bit.  The fact is that we are one of the biggest stories in the football world, and with our current shambolic setup we're ripe for picking as there's innuendo and intrigue at every turn. 

Can I just say Keys's dress sense is odious then?  :P

Offline guyko21

• Kopite
« Reply #797 on: February 26, 2009, 12:37:15 pm »
Can I just say Keys's dress sense is odious then?  :P

And his hairy hands, sure!

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #798 on: February 26, 2009, 12:38:35 pm »

When your feller says " I'll cook the tea tonight girl" Do you hear " You're cookings shite girl"
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

royhendo

« Reply #799 on: February 26, 2009, 01:26:10 pm »
Tony Evans on the radio now saying that if Rafa doesn't get the contract, Hicks will go to war with Gillett.

Apparently a Chelsea fan told Andy Jacobs at Stamford Bridge last night: "I wouldn't mind seeing Benitez down here". ;D

Evans keeping things sensible on the topic - it's appreciated I tells ya!

Says the ownership thing will be resolved very soon, that Benitez was facing pressure last night, but that the result has really shored things up for him.