Author Topic: Television buying  (Read 376468 times)

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
Re: Television buying
« Reply #5120 on: October 1, 2020, 09:39:08 am »
Regarding the apps, most/all newer Smart TVs support all the "big" apps, however I think several of the UK-ones are not available for LG TVs. At least that’s the case for my TV, but someone please correct me if it's not a general thing.
I recently replaced a Samsung TV with an LG and can confirm that the LG does not currently support UK tv catch up services other than BBC iPlayer. I do prefer the LG OS to the Samsung, I find the menus are better organised and retuning/setting favourite channels is easier.

Apps on the new LG are not great, YouTube is fine but most of the rest, from what I can see, are garbage. I have also experienced audio sync problems with both iPlayer and Plex content. 

Having said the the apps for catch up TV on the Samsung were so poor as to be unusable so I bought a Roku.  The Roku is a good few years old now but remains awesome, it provides all the catch up services as well as access to my Plex media server (also great).  The Roku is also snappier through the menus, apps are always up to date and there has never been any issue with audio sync.

In my experience *all* TV apps are, or soon become, shite because there is limited resource or commitment from manufacturuers to maintain them.  As a result I would not select a TV on the basis of the apps it provides.  As someone who watches catchup more than live, the £30-40 spent on a Roku has been a small price for years of frustration-free viewing.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5121 on: October 1, 2020, 02:24:29 pm »
Samsung UE55TU7100 55 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV with Apple TV app £499 with a 6yr guarantee

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/samsung-ue55tu7100.html

Same price at Argos with 1yr and J.Lewis with 5yr but I'd always go for Richer.

It has everything you need.

I'm in the market for one myself now and this looks tasty.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5122 on: October 1, 2020, 04:08:29 pm »
I'm in the market for one myself now and this looks tasty.

50% cash back on selected soundbars too which is a great deal.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5123 on: October 5, 2020, 07:53:57 pm »
Samsung UE55TU7100 55 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV with Apple TV app £499 with a 6yr guarantee

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/samsung-ue55tu7100.html

Same price at Argos with 1yr and J.Lewis with 5yr but I'd always go for Richer.

It has everything you need.

I got the 50 inch for 430 from John Lewis last week. Excellent quality but we've lost twice since I got it!
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #5124 on: October 5, 2020, 08:14:28 pm »
Take it back it’s clearly faulty
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5125 on: October 6, 2020, 12:10:25 am »
I got the 50 inch for 430 from John Lewis last week. Excellent quality but we've lost twice since I got it!

Does it have 2.1 HDMI ?
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5126 on: October 6, 2020, 09:40:42 pm »
Does it have 2.1 HDMI ?

Interested in the answer to this too as I've still not bought my new TV.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5127 on: October 7, 2020, 03:39:35 pm »
I’ve been reading up around 2.1 connections and it may be the case that it’s a 2.0 port with some 2.1 capabilities such as ALLM (Auto low latency mode) and VRR (Variable refresh rate). As far as I can see the only Samsung’s with a 2.1 port are its high end range, but some sites have reported this ability to give some of the 2.0 ports, 2.1 capabilities.

Offline Samio

• Displeased Hermaphrodite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5128 on: October 7, 2020, 05:49:33 pm »
Is 2.1 actually that big of a deal... really? Especially if you’re not a gamer? And even then, is it going to change your experience that much?

As for 8k resolution, is that just a fad? Unless you’ve got an enormous TV?

Genuinely interested to know peoples thoughts.
« Last Edit: October 7, 2020, 05:54:38 pm by Samio »

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5129 on: October 7, 2020, 05:55:30 pm »
Is 2.1 actually that big of a deal... really?
At the moment probably not. And it seems to me it’s more focused on what it will do for those with PS5 and the new XBox in the long run. And as previously pointed out in terms of actual picture quality no, but it should improve motion and juddering that type of stuff on tv’s capable of the 120hz at 4K

There are probably others who can explain it better than me but unless you’re super sharp of eyesight and into absolutely getting best out of your tv probably not

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5130 on: October 7, 2020, 06:02:13 pm »
I’ve been reading up around 2.1 connections and it may be the case that it’s a 2.0 port with some 2.1 capabilities such as ALLM (Auto low latency mode) and VRR (Variable refresh rate). As far as I can see the only Samsung’s with a 2.1 port are its high end range, but some sites have reported this ability to give some of the 2.0 ports, 2.1 capabilities.

It's definitely listed as having 2.1 at John Lewis.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5131 on: October 7, 2020, 06:09:31 pm »

It's definitely listed as having 2.1 at John Lewis.
I just wonder if they’ve got it wrong or listed it that way because it has some of those capabilities, I can’t find anything anywhere else that would suggest it has actual 2.1 ports, but be great if Luis is able to confirm

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5132 on: October 7, 2020, 06:17:10 pm »
I just wonder if they’ve got it wrong or listed it that way because it has some of those capabilities, I can’t find anything anywhere else that would suggest it has actual 2.1 ports, but be great if Luis is able to confirm

I'm wondering the same as there the only ones who do.  ;D

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5133 on: October 8, 2020, 12:15:47 am »
A useful article on hdmi 2.1 for those interested in what tv’s have it and which don’t, plus also those which have some of the 2.1 features without the full 2.1 ports. It appears some are advertising their models as 2.1 even though they aren’t fully.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1601535638
« Last Edit: October 8, 2020, 12:29:29 am by duvva »

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #5134 on: October 8, 2020, 10:34:04 am »
You don't NEED a HDMI 2.1 capable TV right now at all.

But if you were planning to upgrade your TV anyway and you find one within your budget, you might as well pick it up as it'll be future-proof for a good few years.

If you already have a 4K TV that outputs at 50/60 Hz, you certainly don't need to buy a new one just for that 120 Hz feature
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Samio

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5135 on: October 11, 2020, 06:55:01 pm »
Finally ordered my new telly.

Sony XH95 65”.

£1499 list price at JL.

Got 5% off through work, plus a free £199 sound bar/sub (which I’ll sell to reduce the cost) and £100 back in vouchers. Reckon it’ll work out about £1200’ish outlay in the end.

Happy with that! Buzzing for the derby on Saturday ..!

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5136 on: October 11, 2020, 09:24:40 pm »
That’s a great deal. Tempted by one myself.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5137 on: October 13, 2020, 07:12:40 pm »
That’s a good tv Samio, enjoy.
That’s a great deal. Tempted by one myself.
I would really recommend waiting till at least Black Friday.

Offline Samio

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5138 on: October 14, 2020, 07:22:40 am »
Almost waited for Black Friday myself but I’ve been weighing a TV up for too long now. Got itchy feet with the JL deal.

Already sold the sound bar for £150 too, fortunately. Would have taken £100! So it’s worked out at £1175 in my eyes.

If that TV drops below a grand for Black Friday then fair play but I can’t see it.

My prediction is £1300, £1200 lowest but what do I know. Probably just telling myself that to make myself feel better  ;D

*Just checked JL again and the free sound bar isn’t included anymore. So yeah, I would wait now  :wave
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 07:26:17 am by Samio »

Offline Samio

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5139 on: October 18, 2020, 11:01:22 am »
Had the TV since the start of the week and I’m in love with it.

Football looks spectacular on it. I’d definitely recommend.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5140 on: October 23, 2020, 11:09:53 am »

Bought this for my new house. Can't wait to get it up on the wall and watch the footy.

Offline ChrisOH

• Main Stander
« Reply #5141 on: November 2, 2020, 12:23:17 pm »
I'm thinking of buying the Samsung ue55tu8500 as previously mentioned in this thread. (https://www.richersounds.com/samsung-ue55tu8500.html?refSrc=68787&nosto=productpage-nosto-5)

Obviously TV watching is going to be on the increase with lockdown and this should future proof me for a while without paying a fortune. (I'm not really bothered about 120Hz as next-gen consoles - if I end up getting one - seem to be struggling with 60 fps/4k at present, never mind 120 fps/4K).

Only questions are:

- Do we think this TV will come down from £600 in Black Friday? If comes down by say... £100, I think I'd rather spend that extra £100 with better TV watching between now and then (got The Expanse lined up which seems to make use of 4K)
- I've noticed the 50 inch version of this tele is £100 cheaper (£499). Seems a lot for a seemingly marginal gain - or is it? Anyone have any experience of the difference between 50 and 55 inch? I tried viewing the difference in the shop but it's hard to gauge with how they're all up on the wall next to each other.
Ye wha la.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5142 on: November 6, 2020, 02:57:32 am »
I have a 48" LG, and notice a big difference compared to my 55" Samsung.  I didn't really find the jump to the 55" to seem massive, until I go back to the 48" and think that its a small telly now.

I also have a 65" Hisense that seems like a huge increase in viewing space but its wall mounted with no cables showing, and fits the room - or does now.

You need to be aware that the change from 50 to 55 inch is a diagonal increase so the actual footprint is larger than just 5" bigger..

On a side note, I really dont like my 65" Hisense now. Nothing wrong with it really, but whenever I look at I just find it very "industrial" now compared to the OLEDs or even the QLEDs.

The Samsung is my favourite out the 3 for everything. Better picture, sound, bluetooth, ability to add drives, pop straight from my S10 to screen.

« Last Edit: November 7, 2020, 09:02:12 pm by blert596 »
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5143 on: November 7, 2020, 08:14:14 pm »
Ive got a Sony TV

When I watch films, I can hardly hear the speech and then when loud sounds come it fucking deafens me.

Nothing in the TV settings helps.

What can I do to sort this.  Some kind of sound bar??
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5144 on: November 8, 2020, 04:27:07 am »
Depends on the sound bar. If you're specifically after making dialogue more clearer and don't care about the fancy dolby atmos stuff, it'll be cheaper at least. Just make sure you read the reviews for voice clarity. And most of the mid-range ones come with a voice mode anyway.

Is it an older Sony TV though? Because the sound issues I've read about for the new ones are to do more with loudness than voice clarity

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #5145 on: November 8, 2020, 06:04:37 am »
Ive got a Sony TV

When I watch films, I can hardly hear the speech and then when loud sounds come it fucking deafens me.

Nothing in the TV settings helps.

What can I do to sort this.  Some kind of sound bar??
I've got an LG with OK sound, but the difference a sound bar makes is incredible. Especially in terms of speech.

I got one of these https://www.whathifi.com/q-acoustics/m2/review (no longer available it seems) for less than £200 a few years ago. Best money I've spent.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5146 on: November 8, 2020, 07:32:17 pm »
Max budget of £1500 for a 4k compatible TV. What is best out there and with sales coming up?

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5147 on: November 9, 2020, 05:24:54 pm »
What size are you looking at? Do you have a preference for OLED vs QLED? And will you be using it for gaming?

I would recommend reading up on things here-- https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best

Some parts of it gets technical but they know their stuff.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5148 on: November 9, 2020, 06:15:07 pm »
Max budget of £1500 for a 4k compatible TV. What is best out there and with sales coming up?

Keep an eye on uk hotdeals,all the best deals/flash sales get posted on there,you should either wait or only buy from a retailer who will refund the difference on black Friday.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/tv

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #5149 on: November 9, 2020, 11:24:13 pm »
I'm looking at a Samsung 65" for around £600

I'm sure there are much better tellys out there - but it seems to have all the latest stuff, is miles better than my 10 year old 46" beastie and I'm sure will give many hours of viewing pleasure

Last time I looked at Tellys with these specs (Around a year or so ago) they were all £1200 so they seemed to have dropped quite a lot in price..
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Samio

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5150 on: November 11, 2020, 09:23:36 am »
Almost waited for Black Friday myself but I’ve been weighing a TV up for too long now. Got itchy feet with the JL deal.

Already sold the sound bar for £150 too, fortunately. Would have taken £100! So it’s worked out at £1175 in my eyes.

If that TV drops below a grand for Black Friday then fair play but I can’t see it.

My prediction is £1300, £1200 lowest but what do I know. Probably just telling myself that to make myself feel better  ;D

*Just checked JL again and the free sound bar isn’t included anymore. So yeah, I would wait now  :wave

The price of the XH95’s dropped yesterday. Early Black Friday prices.

Can get the 65” for £1299 in most places.

I can’t recommend it highly enough ;)

Offline aka_da_saus

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • follow me on twitter @aka_da_saus
« Reply #5151 on: November 15, 2020, 10:17:34 am »
So I want a tv for new gen gaming/ sport  with four hdmi ports . For less then a grand what are my options ?LG’s?
we hate nottingham forest
we hate everton 2 THERE SHIT
we hate man united
but liverpool we love u
all together now

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5152 on: November 15, 2020, 12:04:49 pm »
If you're looking for gaming you'll probably want HDMI 2.1. Sony X90H is a really good one for under 1k

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5153 on: November 15, 2020, 03:26:44 pm »
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1601535638

List of current tv’s with 2.1 ports. The most important elements for gaming I think are ALLM and VRR which all the LG’s have plus the Sony XH90 (as mentioned above) via an update. No idea what price the LG’s are

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5154 on: November 15, 2020, 07:11:18 pm »
So I want a tv for new gen gaming/ sport  with four hdmi ports . For less then a grand what are my options ?LG’s?
id recommend the LG cx 55. It should go to around 1k on Black Friday/cyber Monday. It’s a level above the Sony and is oled which is by far the best type of tv out there.

Offline aka_da_saus

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • follow me on twitter @aka_da_saus
« Reply #5155 on: November 15, 2020, 07:14:04 pm »
id recommend the LG cx 55. It should go to around 1k on Black Friday/cyber Monday. It’s a level above the Sony and is oled which is by far the best type of tv out there.
ya That’s the one I think . I’m used to 40inch though so don’t know will it be too big :)
we hate nottingham forest
we hate everton 2 THERE SHIT
we hate man united
but liverpool we love u
all together now

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5156 on: November 15, 2020, 07:17:07 pm »

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5157 on: November 15, 2020, 07:20:36 pm »
ya That’s the one I think . I’m used to 40inch though so don’t know will it be too big :)
As Craig says, no such thing. I had 42 inch and was going to get a 55 c8. I then decided to go 65 even though the missus was not happy. After a bit you get used to it and personally wouldn’t go smaller now.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5158 on: November 15, 2020, 07:39:56 pm »
As the others say, if you’ve got the room then big is best

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5159 on: November 15, 2020, 08:00:30 pm »
Just to say, in no way am I saying go to 65 cause 55 won’t be big enough. If you already had a 55 I would but 40 to 55 is a huge upgrade and you will be blown away by the size and picture quality.

Some will bring up that the Sony and especially the Samsung lcd’s are brighter than oled and they are but I was surprised how bright my oled got in hdr. Way brighter than anything I’ve owned before.