Author Topic: What Car Do You Own/Drive?  (Read 486326 times)

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: What Car Do You Own/Drive?
« Reply #4720 on: February 14, 2017, 10:12:45 pm »
Being an American car im sure it drives well in a straight line. Would it remain intact going round the corner?
its that engine sound that does it for me, not really the type of car you get for a country drive, moreso one for the noise.

Offline EstonianRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oooooh Campione, the one and only
« Reply #4721 on: February 15, 2017, 09:09:16 am »
its that engine sound that does it for me, not really the type of car you get for a country drive, moreso one for the noise.

Dont worry, Citroen drivers will never undestand :)

Everyone has a personal taste and its normal. But once you drive a sports car, its hard to go back. Even now and then I drive with my other car Volvo S60 and I feel like I am a complete different person behind the Volvo.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #4722 on: February 15, 2017, 09:14:16 am »
getting into a new focus soon

had enough of the passat

very bizarre issue with it last week. battery light came on when the mrs had it. she pulled up at her folks. couldnt get it going again. engine light came on about oil pressure which is what showed up when the engine went bang in october.

father in law noticed the alternator belt was gone and tensioner was lobsided. it had come loose. replaced it with a new belt which was only 11 quid, i picked up a tensioner in a scrap yard for 20 quid. fitted it and no joy

diagnostics showed it up as camshaft sensor problem. so we bought that for 40 quid. got a mate to fit it. he said that was why it wouldnt start and it should be fine then. both assumptions are thankfully correct. but he said very strangely the camshaft sensor was completely missing off the car! how the hell did it run then?

very odd

brother in law is also driving a passat, his gave up the ghost yesterday with a variety of things needed, clutch, timing belt, bushing etc. over 1000 of work for a 10 year old taxi with 300000 + miles. not worth his while fixing
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4723 on: February 15, 2017, 11:46:56 am »

Everyone has a personal taste and its normal. But once you drive a sports car, its hard to go back. Even now and then I drive with my other car Volvo S60 and I feel like I am a complete different person behind the Volvo.

I get that with the bikes, whether it was my ZZR1100, Fireblade or Yamaha R1 you get the old "oh you could have bought a nice (insert boring car) for that."  Err no, riding a sportsbike is more fun.

I did similar to you in 2007, owned an old Fireblade, always wanted an R1, My Ma had left me some money when she died in the April, was due to marry in September and have kids, so bought the bike in June  My Ma would have loved it.
Jurgen YNWA

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #4724 on: February 15, 2017, 12:31:26 pm »
Anyone had an Audi A1?

Still thinking about leasing but a 4x4/SUV is way too big for the missus. The A1 is nice and compact but not so shameful that I couldn't be seen going into work with it.
Very small boot, the 1.2 was a bit underpowered for me...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Stand Free

• Anny Roader
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #4725 on: February 15, 2017, 12:46:11 pm »
Anyone had an Audi A1?

Still thinking about leasing but a 4x4/SUV is way too big for the missus. The A1 is nice and compact but not so shameful that I couldn't be seen going into work with it.

I have the 1.4 150PS S-line, I really like it, quick enough, nice looking, not huge on space but I never need the boot for anything big and its fine even with 4 in the car, 5 can be a squeeze.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #4726 on: February 15, 2017, 02:49:09 pm »
Having had my car for 2 years I was starting to get itchy feet thinking about something a bit newer and a much quicker. Did a fair bit of research but in the end decided to give my current one another year. After a new cam belt and a full service it feels tight and crisp, it's still a really pleasant place to sit and following the original remapping it pulls like a train.

All that said....in 12 months time it'll either be the Golf R, the Focus ST RS or the 1 Series M....heavily leaning towards the Golf.

Whilst it may seem a ways off, it's nice to plot and plan ;D 8)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 09:34:29 pm by Titi Camara »

Offline EstonianRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4727 on: February 15, 2017, 05:36:53 pm »
Having had my car for 2 years I was starting to get itchy feet thinking about something a bit newer and a much quicker. Did a fair bit of research but in the end decided to give my current one another year. After a new cam belt and a full service it feels tight and crisp, it's still a really pleasant place to sit and following the original remapping it pulls like a train.

All that said....in 12 months time it'll either be the Golf R, the Focus ST or the 1 Series M....heavily leaning towards the Golf.

Its a dangerous path you are on mate  ;D

I set a plan to get one in start of 2018, do make myself more finanacially secure, ended up with one last month. Once you start checking for cars online almost every day, thats when you know you need rehab and quick, otherwise you are going to buy something sooner :D

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4728 on: February 15, 2017, 07:07:21 pm »
Its a dangerous path you are on mate  ;D

I set a plan to get one in start of 2018, do make myself more finanacially secure, ended up with one last month. Once you start checking for cars online almost every day, thats when you know you need rehab and quick, otherwise you are going to buy something sooner :D
You're not fucking wrong there buddy.

The fact I've just sunk a grand into my current motor means the decision's made but I've defo had to step away from the key board!

The one thing helping is the Golf face lift about to drop. It will push prices up in the short term making the decision easier again....

Offline portRUSHred

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4729 on: February 15, 2017, 07:42:53 pm »

Citroen drivers have feelings too you know!

Offline Coat Of Arms

• Main Stander
  • Some men just want to watch the Woodburn
« Reply #4730 on: February 15, 2017, 09:12:15 pm »

All that said....in 12 months time it'll either be the Golf R, the Focus ST or the 1 Series M....heavily leaning towards the Golf.

Do you mean the RS mate? Golf R & M1 are different beasts compared to the ST.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4731 on: February 15, 2017, 09:34:08 pm »
Sorry yes, the RS.

Everything I read says get the RS but I have a serious soft spot for the Golf ;) 8) :wave

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4732 on: February 15, 2017, 09:35:06 pm »
test drove the rs and M1 a while back. Didn't get either but preferred the m140 (which is basically the m1)

Offline Coat Of Arms

• Main Stander
  • Some men just want to watch the Woodburn
« Reply #4733 on: February 15, 2017, 09:57:56 pm »
Sorry yes, the RS.

Everything I read says get the RS but I have a serious soft spot for the Golf ;) 8) :wave

Yea the superior interior quality would swing it for me.

test drove the rs and M1 a while back. Didn't get either but preferred the m140 (which is basically the m1)

It looks a little too much like the standard car for my liking & I think I'd really struggle to pick one out in a line up of 1 series'.

Not that I'd say no to one!

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4734 on: February 18, 2017, 01:18:34 pm »
Yea the superior interior quality would swing it for me.

It looks a little too much like the standard car for my liking & I think I'd really struggle to pick one out in a line up of 1 series'.

Not that I'd say no to one!
was more the drive I liked, RS definitely looks more different to a normal focus than the m140 but it was about the drive for me, neither make you look like a tit when you drive them

Offline EstonianRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4735 on: February 18, 2017, 01:36:42 pm »
Citroen drivers have feelings too you know!

Thats a relief :)

Offline King_doggerel

• "What the fuck is a baldrick?"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4736 on: February 26, 2017, 11:01:48 pm »
does anyone know any dealerships in the southern region where one can find a reliable van? Like a medium sized, vauxhall vivaro?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4737 on: February 26, 2017, 11:27:22 pm »
does anyone know any dealerships in the southern region where one can find a reliable van? Like a medium sized, vauxhall vivaro?
You're best just going direct on to Autotrader mate (although other suitable motor vehicle advertising outlets exist).

Offline jimbo1962

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4738 on: February 27, 2017, 08:01:07 pm »
Used vans?! For gawds sake try to find one that has belonged to somebody you know and can vouch for its history

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4739 on: March 2, 2017, 12:19:05 pm »
Anyone had a seat leon and what's your opinion of them?

Looking for a family sized car that seats 5, but two car seats in the back. Right now got a meriva but not too fond of it and the middle passenger in the back needs to be a size 0 currently

Looking at the latest leon it looks alright, decent fuel economy, decent boot size
« Last Edit: March 2, 2017, 12:23:37 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4740 on: March 2, 2017, 12:50:35 pm »
Anyone had a seat leon and what's your opinion of them?

I drove one around Spain for a month last May.  It impressed me so much that when I got back I bought one (Diesel estate model). My wife had an Audi A3 Cabriolet on order and I had my eye on a year old A3, but the Leon won me over.

Now, you probably know that SEAT and Audi are both VW owned, but don't expect them to be the same.  The Leon feels much less well built.  The interior is plasticky and basic compared to the amazing Audi interior.  At 60-70mph the Audi is pin-drop quiet and refined, while the Leon is rather, er, agricultural in comparison.  The 5-speed box feels like it would've benefited from a 6th gear for motorway journeys. The ride isn't as comfortable as the A3 despite running on 16" wheels (our A3 is running on 18" wheels). The touch screen is also infuriating compared to the A3's MMI - I really don't understand why touchscreens are in cars, it's incredibly distracting. And I'd have loved the cruise control to be on a separate stalk, rather than clumped onto the indicator stalk (but that's nit-picking).

But everything is negated by the price.  I'm comparing it to a brand new £30k car, above. The Leon is an exceptional car for the money. I got a car that was less than a year old, had LED lights, nav, DAB, cruise control, parking sensors, FSH and only 10k miles on it for £9500. I could find nothing anywhere near as good at that price. The standard kit is exactly what I need and it's a nice car to drive and rather nice to look at. I love having a compact estate car - it's incredibly practical yet still fits into tight parking spaces.  Ours is a 1.6tdi but is surprisingly nippy and runs on fumes! And I've saved myself about 9 grand over an equivalently aged A3 I almost bought.

If I could do it over again, I'd still have opted for the Leon because of the value it represents. If I was buying today, however, I'd have given the Ateca a look in as well - basically a jacked-up Leon that's been getting great reviews.
« Last Edit: March 2, 2017, 12:53:51 pm by thejbs »

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4741 on: March 2, 2017, 12:57:39 pm »
Mine is the monsoon grey version of this one:

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4742 on: March 2, 2017, 01:39:49 pm »

Thanks for the feedback.

Everything you said about the Leon i've read jbs but it's nice to get an actual person's opinion to back up the articles too.

They do seem insanely good value and whilst it won't handle like a vw golf or look as clean and clinical on the inside as an audi i'm sure it's better than what i'm driving, which to be honest does a job but doesn't have great steering feedback, isn't exactly quiet either and doesn't do a great job of seating 5 anymore than a medium sized car would.

I'd also looked at the V40 Lfsea.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4743 on: March 2, 2017, 02:55:31 pm »

Thanks for the feedback.

Everything you said about the Leon i've read jbs but it's nice to get an actual person's opinion to back up the articles too.

They do seem insanely good value and whilst it won't handle like a vw golf or look as clean and clinical on the inside as an audi i'm sure it's better than what i'm driving, which to be honest does a job but doesn't have great steering feedback, isn't exactly quiet either and doesn't do a great job of seating 5 anymore than a medium sized car would.

I'd also looked at the V40 Lfsea.

For a family of 5, go for the Leon Estate. The boot is absolutely huge for a relatively compact car. 

I'd also looked at the Golf and 1 series.  The 1 series was dearer than the A3 and I didn't like the interior as much. And the Golf was pretty spartan on the inside, equipment-wise although it felt very well put together.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4744 on: March 2, 2017, 03:01:48 pm »
That is pretty much the only thing i will miss with my car is the boot space.

My brother in laws partner was living with us for a while and she bought a seat. pretty sure it was a leon. brand new. that was about july time. she loves it. hasnt had a problem yet. but its obviously under a long warranty.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4745 on: March 3, 2017, 12:57:24 am »
I drive a scratched, bashed up Peugeot 107 that's sits on the road 300 days of the year. But Herbie ... I love you so
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #4746 on: March 3, 2017, 12:09:04 pm »
Saying goodbye to Admiral, my insurers of the last 6 years this month. They want to put my premium up by £400, and despite me finding other places that would pretty much keep it around the same as last year they say can't bring it down by more than about £200.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #4747 on: March 3, 2017, 12:12:56 pm »
There's no loyalty in the insurance game mate.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #4748 on: March 3, 2017, 12:48:43 pm »

Absolutely, which is why it's a bit strange that Admiral have so aggressively price matched for so long. It's all down to a dent last year which I got from a lorry, I told them about it but all they wanted to do was write the car off and halve my no claims (foreign driver) so I didn't claim and sold the car instead.

Despite not claiming, it seems to be pushing the premium up. The woman I spoke to said "you might find when you tell the other insurers about the incident the quoted prices go up". Hmm, if only there were a cunning way around that little problem...

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4749 on: March 3, 2017, 01:03:16 pm »
i did a moneysupermarket quote on something similar to the car i am waiting on and it didnt work out too bad.

Everybody is complaining about increases though

Offline ShrewKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4750 on: March 3, 2017, 04:00:02 pm »
Has anybody driven or owned a Mazda CX-5? That's the car my Mrs and I are looking at, any experiences with them would be appreciated in terms of reliability etc. Cheers!

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #4751 on: March 3, 2017, 04:15:04 pm »

true, although surprisingly last years insurers were cheaper than anyone this year (having swapped every year over the last 6 years)

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #4752 on: March 3, 2017, 04:33:30 pm »
Currently in the market for a Mitsubishi Evolution X - I wanted one when they came out but was a bit too much, I currently drive a BMW 1 Series from '09

I don't want one modded to all the whistles though as if I buy it from UK will have to import to Jersey and it goes through an MOT sort of thing and if it's super modded/no cats/too loud/too low it fails and you have to pretty much revert to factory

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4753 on: March 3, 2017, 09:39:34 pm »

One of these, but not this one.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4754 on: March 4, 2017, 02:31:25 pm »

One of these, but not this one.

Sexy
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline halfpoundcheesy

• [insert witty comment]
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #4755 on: March 5, 2017, 04:22:30 pm »
Currently in the market for a Mitsubishi Evolution X - I wanted one when they came out but was a bit too much, I currently drive a BMW 1 Series from '09

Brace yourself for a pretty "raw" experience... The interior experience vs. a BMW will be pretty stark. My brother had an FQ320 and my god it was loud and uncomfortable. Superb fun for a track car though, it was comically fast and went round corners like not much else I've ever driven.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #4756 on: March 5, 2017, 08:42:10 pm »
I once had an Escort Mk1 & a Dolomite 1850,i fucking despair selling them on now.  :-[
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4757 on: March 5, 2017, 09:15:56 pm »
I once had an Escort Mk1 & a Dolomite 1850,i fucking despair selling them on now.  :-[

How much did you sell them for, couple of hundred each?

The performance fords fetch silly money these days. In the mid 80's my cousins husband had a Mk1 Capri RS3100, there's an N reg one for sale for £35,000 and I have seen one sold for over £5ok
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #4758 on: March 6, 2017, 07:49:26 am »
Yep not far off mate.
They would probably fetch £15k+ now,not that that matters i'd much prefer the cars.
The Dolomite was rapid.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4759 on: March 6, 2017, 09:32:26 am »
jesus

del boy would make some profit then

got a capri ghia off boycie in 1990 for 400 nicker. 27 years later he could make some money on that investment