Author Topic: What Car Do You Own/Drive?  (Read 486314 times)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Re: What Car Do You Own/Drive?
« Reply #4680 on: January 24, 2017, 01:29:44 pm »
Clutch life is a massive variable and is all down to driving style.I had a mondeo that never needed a clutch and that had 140,000 on it when I sold it,  I've also seen one of our works vans have a clutch at less than 25,000 due to the driver. If you sit with your foot resting on the pedal that'll wear them out like mad. A lot of people also slip the clutch and rev the tits off cars when setting off, do loads of short journeys with lots of stop start like this and you'll do the clutch early.
yeah exactly all that wrecks the car. just about every car i had had a little foot rest to the side of the clutch

id never sit with my foot on the clutch all the time anyway
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #4681 on: January 25, 2017, 08:32:34 am »
  no offence to bournemouth red but his mam must be a poor driver to wreck a clutch in under 20000 miles if that is the case.

None taken, but I won't tell her!

The issue is that she had two of exactly the same cars before from new and neither had any problems, her driving hasn't changed so why this one?
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4682 on: January 25, 2017, 08:39:47 am »

The issue is that she had two of exactly the same cars before from new and neither had any problems, her driving hasn't changed so why this one?
it definitely seems like a car problem rather than your mother's driving so

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4683 on: January 25, 2017, 10:27:55 am »

I posted further up of a Fiat recall for clutch issues I found on a US fiat 500 owners forum, I'd be ringing Fiat customer services to see if your mums car is affected too.
Jurgen YNWA

• Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #4684 on: January 25, 2017, 01:11:42 pm »
I posted further up of a Fiat recall for clutch issues I found on a US fiat 500 owners forum, I'd be ringing Fiat customer services to see if your mums car is affected too.

Nice one, cheers Rob.

Offline Coat Of Arms

• Main Stander
  • Some men just want to watch the Woodburn
« Reply #4685 on: January 27, 2017, 03:16:54 pm »
Really want something with a bit of poke as my next car & having test drove the Fiesta ST, I was seriously impressed with the performance for the price. The interior was a bit of a let down, though.

The sensible side of me however is saying to go for something with a bit more practicality & I've been having a nose at the Leon FR (2.0 Diesel). It's slightly down on power (0.7 sec slower to 60) but is a lot more economical, has 2 extra doors & will probably be easier to shift a few years down the line.

Anybody have any experience with Seat since they went all 'Volkswagen-y'?

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4686 on: January 27, 2017, 03:33:17 pm »

I've had an Ibiza for 5 years, done 180,000+ km and had next to nothing go wrong with it at all (the boot opener bust but that was probably me trying to force it open when it was frozen).
A mechanic who lives near me asked to have a look under the bonnet when I bought it and said it's basically a VW with a Seat badge. As I do a lot of driving for my job I'm just gonna run it into the ground, whenever that is, and get another one.
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline Coat Of Arms

• Main Stander
« Reply #4687 on: January 27, 2017, 04:35:35 pm »
I've had an Ibiza for 5 years, done 180,000+ km and had next to nothing go wrong with it at all (the boot opener bust but that was probably me trying to force it open when it was frozen).
A mechanic who lives near me asked to have a look under the bonnet when I bought it and said it's basically a VW with a Seat badge. As I do a lot of driving for my job I'm just gonna run it into the ground, whenever that is, and get another one.

Sounds promising! The Leon basically sounds like a less polished Golf GTD but for a lot less money, which is tempting!

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4688 on: January 27, 2017, 04:38:56 pm »
Really want something with a bit of poke as my next car & having test drove the Fiesta ST, I was seriously impressed with the performance for the price. The interior was a bit of a let down, though.

The sensible side of me however is saying to go for something with a bit more practicality & I've been having a nose at the Leon FR (2.0 Diesel). It's slightly down on power (0.7 sec slower to 60) but is a lot more economical, has 2 extra doors & will probably be easier to shift a few years down the line.

.7 of a second? hardly worth considering that as an issue. its not formula1

Offline Coat Of Arms

• Main Stander
« Reply #4689 on: January 27, 2017, 04:51:57 pm »
.7 of a second? hardly worth considering that as an issue. its not formula1

True enough. I suppose that extra bit of power wouldn't really be noticeable during everyday driving.

I can only tell you about reliability, performance wise mine's shite,  1.3 engine about 75 ps, but I didn't buy it for speed  :).

It's definitely good to know though.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4690 on: January 29, 2017, 08:40:32 am »
Sister in law had a 56 plate Leon for 9 years, over 100,000 miles with no problems. Only got rid of it as she was bought a new one. She didn't want to change it, but had to take the new car.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4691 on: January 29, 2017, 08:27:46 pm »

been driving a seat leon st fr 1.4 150bhp for nearly 3 years, had no complaints, guite nippy for a smaller engine and I think looks better in estate form. the interior feels quality and looks good.

PSN: white-of-my-eyes

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4692 on: January 29, 2017, 08:31:29 pm »
thinking of getting a Skoda SUPERB ESTATE SE L Executive 2.0 TSI 220PS DSG next.
PSN: white-of-my-eyes

• Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #4693 on: January 30, 2017, 09:26:51 am »
Quick update on the Fiat clutch issue.

Car went in for diagnostics and it turns out the plate under the gearbox has come loose due to the vibrations caused by the Twinair motor.

Tests free and repair done free under the warranty, so all good in the end.

Thanks for all the advice, just glad it's sorted.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4694 on: January 30, 2017, 09:29:28 am »
thats a relief

was wondering how things would end up

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4695 on: January 30, 2017, 12:44:15 pm »
Quick update on the Fiat clutch issue.

Car went in for diagnostics and it turns out the plate under the gearbox has come loose due to the vibrations caused by the Twinair motor.

Tests free and repair done free under the warranty, so all good in the end.

Thanks for all the advice, just glad it's sorted.

Excellent. Hope they had the brains to put threadlock on this time
Jurgen YNWA

• Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #4696 on: January 30, 2017, 02:09:57 pm »
Cheers all, just glad it's a weight off Mum's mind.

Offline 4

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4697 on: January 31, 2017, 10:45:57 am »
Does anyone have any tips with regards to getting car insurance for the first time?

The lowest I can seem to find is around the 2 grand mark.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4698 on: January 31, 2017, 11:15:01 am »
Does anyone have any tips with regards to getting car insurance for the first time?

unfortunately you may have to pay that. insurance prices are rising.

your lack of experience wont help. sorry to be doom and gloom.

try moneysupermarket or one of the comparison sites if you havent already.

Offline 4

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4699 on: January 31, 2017, 11:37:31 am »
unfortunately you may have to pay that. insurance prices are rising.

your lack of experience wont help. sorry to be doom and gloom.

try moneysupermarket or one of the comparison sites if you havent already.

Cheers mate, was resigned to this being the case but was just wondering if anyone knew of anywhere that maybe did better rates for first time drivers etc.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4700 on: January 31, 2017, 12:26:18 pm »

Ring Adrian Flux, they might be able to help. Also get a telemetrics device fitted, that'll help. First time insurance is always high these days sadly. How old are you BTW ?
Jurgen YNWA

• Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #4701 on: January 31, 2017, 12:34:05 pm »
Cheers mate, was resigned to this being the case but was just wondering if anyone knew of anywhere that maybe did better rates for first time drivers etc.

Is this your first car, or first insurance?

If you've been a named driver some companies will take into account a clean record of claims / points from this.

Offline F-T-9

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4702 on: January 31, 2017, 03:08:42 pm »

First time I got insurance as the first driver was last April (spent about 2 years as 3rd driver on my dad's car) and I realised that when I put my parents as 2nd and 3rd drivers the price dropped dramatically for a few companies. I ended up paying around £990 with Admiral with the black box fitted in.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4703 on: January 31, 2017, 03:13:44 pm »
First time I got insurance as the first driver was last April (spent about 2 years as 3rd driver on my dad's car) and I realised that when I put my parents as 2nd and 3rd drivers the price dropped dramatically for a few companies. I ended up paying around £990 with Admiral with the black box fitted in.
yeah a good point

im driving years and still have my wife on policy which drops my price. likewise im on hers and it drops her price too.

even stick the parents on it and see what happens

Offline 4

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4704 on: January 31, 2017, 04:10:53 pm »
Some good shouts there fellas, cheers.

I'm 23 next week, so I thought I might just avoid the young driver premium but apparently not.

It's my first car and insurance, and im just getting my mums old car, so might it be worth seeing if its cheaper to just have it under hers and me added as a named driver?

I'll try giving that Adrian flux a ring, cheers. And the car itself is an 05 fiesta.

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #4705 on: January 31, 2017, 05:15:14 pm »
The older the car, the more you'll pay. Try sticking a 2002 punto into a comparison site and get the same car with a 2007/8 reg and you'll notice a huge difference in what you'll pay. What I did and ended up buying a slightly more expensive/newer car for the much cheaper insurance. The difference being first year from 3k down to about 1.6k  :(
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline Coat Of Arms

• Main Stander
« Reply #4706 on: January 31, 2017, 05:21:21 pm »

I'm 23 next week, so I thought I might just avoid the young driver premium but apparently not.

It's my first car and insurance, and im just getting my mums old car, so might it be worth seeing if its cheaper to just have it under hers and me added as a named driver?

I'll try giving that Adrian flux a ring, cheers. And the car itself is an 05 fiesta.

It'll definitely be cheaper but isn't that what they call 'Fronting'? Not sure if you can build your own no claims this way either, which is what will really bring it down in the future. Mine came down about 30% after having 1 years NCB.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4707 on: January 31, 2017, 05:27:06 pm »
It'll definitely be cheaper but isn't that what they call 'Fronting'? Not sure if you can build your own no claims this way either, which is what will really bring it down in the future. Mine came down about 30% after having 1 years NCB.

Definitely can't do that here in Northern Ireland. My ex was on my insurance for our car when she passed her test. Was only when we split and she got her own car was she the policy holder. Cost her a fortune for a 1.2 Seat Shitheap
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4708 on: January 31, 2017, 05:28:38 pm »

I've just got my first car in years and it's been a ballache. I've just turned 50 and still got quoted silly money. I've got 11 years NCB on a bike and been named driver on the wife's car since 2008, none of which mattered. I get my bike through flux and they managed to get NCB from driving HGVs part time for Stobart taken into consideration, which got my insurance under £600.

Bell insurance wanted me to fit a telemetry device, fucked them off as I've been driving since I was 18, but they might be good for you.

If your mum has another car, you might be stuffed going on her insurance, not sure on multi car policies. Try getting her as a named on yours so you at least start to accumulate NCB.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4709 on: January 31, 2017, 07:26:32 pm »
My girlfriends first insurance quote was £1,900 as a sole driver. With me as a named driver, it dropped to £1,000. Comes in useful being able to drive it too! So I'd try getting the most experienced driver in the family as a named driver if I were you.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline EstonianRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oooooh Campione, the one and only
« Reply #4710 on: February 13, 2017, 09:58:59 pm »
Got it in the start of new year. Fairly good price for it, 2007 year, 4.0 engine 157kw. Have always been the fan of Americans. Picture is from google, but thats the same car in there.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4711 on: February 13, 2017, 11:58:12 pm »
Sorry, but that is awful.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4712 on: February 14, 2017, 06:46:06 am »
I like it
Jurgen YNWA

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #4713 on: February 14, 2017, 07:45:36 am »
I was once in a car park.  A very similar car was trying to park ... it had been given the full boy racer treatment...

Massive wheels.... I mean enormously wide.... ridiculous.. 

Anyway, as it manoeuvred back and forth to get into a tight space, the friction proved a little too much for the wheels, and one of them sheared off....

Genuinely one of the funniest things I've ever seen..

(Btw, power in KW.... that's unsusal even in this day and age).
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Coat Of Arms

• Main Stander
« Reply #4715 on: February 14, 2017, 11:53:38 am »
Got it in the start of new year. Fairly good price for it, 2007 year, 4.0 engine 157kw. Have always been the fan of Americans. Picture is from google, but thats the same car in there.

Quite like that, though I wouldn't like to own one in the UK, would cost you an arm & a leg to run it!

Offline EstonianRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oooooh Campione, the one and only
« Reply #4716 on: February 14, 2017, 09:05:30 pm »
Quite like that, though I wouldn't like to own one in the UK, would cost you an arm & a leg to run it!

Yeah, not that cheap. Takes 20L per 100km. Luckily everything is close to reach for me, so domt have to do long hauls with it.

(Btw, power in KW.... that's unsusal even in this day and age).

Most Europe measures it by KW, or is it outdated in UK?

That car is basically my byebye bachelor life, soon the kids will be on the way and it might be too much. And being a proper Mustang fanboy I will embrace it :D

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #4717 on: February 14, 2017, 09:14:23 pm »
I thought they used metric horsepower in the rest of Europe?  (PS)

Anyway, I'm happy with both :)
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4718 on: February 14, 2017, 09:38:41 pm »
Sorry, but that is awful.
have you ever driven one? Absolutely fucking ace to drive.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4719 on: February 14, 2017, 10:00:40 pm »
have you ever driven one? Absolutely fucking ace to drive.

Being an American car im sure it drives well in a straight line. Would it remain intact going round the corner?