Author Topic: What Car Do You Own/Drive?  (Read 485844 times)

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
Re: What Car Do You Own/Drive?
« Reply #440 on: January 10, 2008, 03:25:35 pm »
Q7 is the best looking one.

Keith, have you driven any of the VXR's? I heard they suffer really badly with torque steer and while going fast in a straight(ish) line is good, what about when you have to go round a corner?
I'm so fucking angry I'm rubbing my face!!!

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #441 on: January 10, 2008, 03:29:27 pm »
that's like saying Phil is the best looking Neville.  ;D
;D
Yep.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #442 on: January 10, 2008, 03:31:57 pm »
Not so sure on the X3, myself. Will it be a company car/have to be a beemer?
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #443 on: January 10, 2008, 04:37:16 pm »
Q7 is the best looking one.

Keith, have you driven any of the VXR's? I heard they suffer really badly with torque steer and while going fast in a straight(ish) line is good, what about when you have to go round a corner?

I've resisted test driving at the moment as I'm rather an impulsive fucker and I'll end up signing on the dotted line. The Astra VXR and the Vectra VXR (another on my possible list) do suffer from torque steer (Astra moreso) but as long as you have your hands on the wheel, it shouldn't be a problem. You just have to be reasonable when accelerating from standstill.

I could get a brand new Astra VXR or a 6 month old Vectra VXR for the price of an '06 350z GT so I'm kinda tooing a throwing by the day. I need to get my mortgage paid off, which hopefully should be in the next month, then I can get my arse in a few cars and take it from there.

The reason I like the VXR's apart from they are good looking, and the 350Z for that matter, is there aren't that many around. I lke the Focus ST but there are about 4 within a mile of me, and I don't want something that every fucker has got.

Toyed with an M5 and M3, but for the money I have, you are looking at a 5 year old car with the running costs to match.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline rotistgeil

• Unflabbable in the face of lesbian scenes in public park.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #444 on: January 10, 2008, 04:40:29 pm »
Wait for/get the VXR 8!!!

;)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 04:42:02 pm by rotistgeil »

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #445 on: January 10, 2008, 04:42:03 pm »

PS - BMW diesels are generally faster and quieter than the petrol equivalent now, as proven, much to clarksons chargrin, on last series of topgear.

but its not quieter and only the 3.0D is a better engine than the petrol

damn them editors, but they really are not quieter, quieter than other diesels but still nowhere near as refined as the petrol

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #446 on: January 10, 2008, 05:05:33 pm »
Wait for/get the VXR 8!!!

;)

that maybe the next after this one.

damn them editors, but they really are not quieter, quieter than other diesels but still nowhere near as refined as the petrol

And that's not a patch on the 335 twin turbo.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #447 on: January 10, 2008, 05:14:33 pm »
I intend to keep it strictly on road though

So why do you need a jeep type thingy?

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #448 on: January 10, 2008, 05:17:03 pm »

They are you know. Clarkson was furious.

Drove a new diesel 5 series and a new petrol 5 series, same size engine, same spec etc, and used a decibel meter in both.

The diesel was quieter than the petrol. Not by much (3db IIRC) but it was quieter. It also had a faster 0-60 time.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/used_car_reviews/article1315918.ece

As a general rule of thumb the big-engine petrol models are great to drive but expensive to run, while all the diesel models are almost impossibly refined and reassuringly economical. If your budget will stretch then treat yourself to the 535d. It comes with a twin turbo 3 litre diesel engine producing 272bhp and 413 lb ft torque. Performance is mind-blowing: 0-60mph in 6.5sec and a top speed of 155mph, all while returning nearly 35mpg. If ever there was an argument for changing from a petrol car to a diesel one, the BMW 535d is the best one I have heard.

Cheaper to run, longer service intervals, and lower emissions so friendlier to the earth as well.

:wave

Diesel. It's the future.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 05:24:05 pm by nidgemo »
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #449 on: January 10, 2008, 05:18:28 pm »
So why do you need a jeep type thingy?

Like the look of them. Simple as that. Don't need one. Just like them. At 6'4", they're a bit roomier for me too.

Why do you need an S class merc? ;)
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #450 on: January 10, 2008, 05:29:52 pm »
Why do you need an S class merc? ;)

I find I really can't negotiate the daily 3.5 mile urban commute without the confidence of a 5.6 litre V8.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #451 on: January 10, 2008, 05:31:15 pm »
I find I really can't negotiate the daily 3.5 mile urban commute without the confidence of a 5.6 litre V8.

:D

This is why I need a 4x4 jeep.

I have to drive half a mile into work on a newly built bypass 5 days a week. And then home again.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #452 on: January 10, 2008, 05:37:46 pm »
They are you know. Clarkson was furious.

Drove a new diesel 5 series and a new petrol 5 series, same size engine, same spec etc, and used a decibel meter in both.

The diesel was quieter than the petrol. Not by much (3db IIRC) but it was quieter. It also had a faster 0-60 time.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/used_car_reviews/article1315918.ece

Cheaper to run, longer service intervals, and lower emissions so friendlier to the earth as well.

:wave

Diesel. It's the future.

Not according to BMW's own website.  ;)

here

And the noise levels will be down to superior noise deadening, not the engine. people want to hear the petrol engines, not the box of spanners noise of the diesel.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 05:42:56 pm by keithcun »

Offline rotistgeil

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #453 on: January 10, 2008, 05:38:56 pm »
Diesel Power!!!!

As Audi is doing quite well with diesel at LeMans, rumours have it that they might/will introduce a V12 Diesel R8.

These are just shopped pics from Auto Motor Sport Germany but it will be quite an engine.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 05:40:51 pm by rotistgeil »

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #454 on: January 10, 2008, 05:40:06 pm »
A 350z or a vauxhall??? That's a no brainer.
I'm so fucking angry I'm rubbing my face!!!

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: January 10, 2008, 05:41:58 pm »
A 350z or a vauxhall??? That's a no brainer.

To be honest, I've never had a bad Vauxhall and they (VXR's) are hardly the run of the mill rep cars. I do prefer the 350Z though. just got to sift through all the shitty imports though to find a good UK car.

Offline rotistgeil

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #456 on: January 10, 2008, 05:49:20 pm »
Vauxhall

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/467653

0-60 in 2.9 secs
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 05:51:40 pm by rotistgeil »

Offline Emlyn18

• Sorviodunum SU145305. Tossing over Pat Butcher or Barry Evans. Rhi's girlfriend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bargin Booze. Making life richer for the pourer.
« Reply #457 on: January 10, 2008, 05:53:55 pm »
im gonna get a golf i think
Emlyn, you were a very bad influence on my younger brother in Barcelona! I don't know what you gave him but he was a nuisance the entire day, have banned him from Eindhoven!  :missus

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #458 on: January 10, 2008, 06:05:26 pm »
nidgemo, I associate you with the aesthetic, so why on earth would you want an X5.

He's plummeted in my estimation. Anyway, here's my runaround, although the heating has just packed in, hardly ideal in January in Scotland.  :-\

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #459 on: January 10, 2008, 06:37:23 pm »
And a fine car it is too Mr A. If the cabin is a tad noisy...
Yep.

Offline Ashfordian

• Softlad
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #460 on: January 10, 2008, 06:40:23 pm »
What litre engine has that got, Michael?

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #461 on: January 10, 2008, 06:43:06 pm »
If I could afford one I'd buy one...

It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline chris2006

• Kopite
« Reply #462 on: January 10, 2008, 07:18:29 pm »
Diesel Power!!!!

As Audi is doing quite well with diesel at LeMans, rumours have it that they might/will introduce a V12 Diesel R8.

These are just shopped pics from Auto Motor Sport Germany but it will be quite an engine.

The pants have been well an truly creamed!

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #463 on: January 10, 2008, 07:45:19 pm »
Not according to BMW's own website.  ;)

here

And the noise levels will be down to superior noise deadening, not the engine. people want to hear the petrol engines, not the box of spanners noise of the diesel.

thank you

the diesels are noisier, try looking yourself rather than getting info of what is a great journo but one who bows to the presures of an editor, and people who give him money

the cabin may be slightly quieter but thats all sound proofing = weight and its just not the same
Diesel Power!!!!

would be a hell of a car, with a hell of an engine but you still want the noise of a petrol

if they could do that then theres your winner

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: January 10, 2008, 11:48:55 pm »
thank you

the diesels are noisier, try looking yourself rather than getting info of what is a great journo but one who bows to the presures of an editor, and people who give him money

the cabin may be slightly quieter but thats all sound proofing

well, I always sit in the cabin while driving my car, so if it's quieter in there, then as far as I'm concerned, it's a quieter car.

And anyway -- I don't want to sit in my car and hear noise like I'm sitting in the central reservation of a motorway. I want quiet, and some good music / talk radio / podcasts on.

Can't get the buying a car for the sound. The last sound I want to hear for 3 hours on a long drive is incessant engine screaming.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #465 on: January 11, 2008, 12:00:45 am »
i own a admiral  500 & 12 tea..6 litre twin turbo'd xl 4200 es.bungalow bike high heeled car..
i got it with a free magic trick and compass(with cheese) pointing northward....starboard bound !!

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #466 on: January 11, 2008, 12:01:47 am »
Can't get the buying a car for the sound. The last sound I want to hear for 3 hours on a long drive is incessant engine screaming.

You want it there for you to hear, though. That's something you don't really get with a diesel. You don't get the steady snarl of a nice six cylinder, or the basso rumble of a V8. Good cars are quiet until you want them to be loud.

Also, the power progression on diesels is a little hard to appreciate. If you've grown up on petrol, the whole notion of having loads of low end torque, which then kind of peters out when the turbo decides it's done, is a little unsettling.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #467 on: January 11, 2008, 12:27:43 am »
Are you lot all professional footballers or something?

I've only seen most of these cars on Top Gear ffs!

It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #468 on: January 11, 2008, 12:32:54 am »
Are you lot all professional footballers or something?

I've only seen most of these cars on Top Gear ffs!

nah mate far from it,im a local yokel.
paid for mine with bean's that a local farmer wanted to trade for it!

:P

Offline rotistgeil

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #469 on: January 11, 2008, 12:44:26 am »
would be a hell of a car, with a hell of an engine but you still want the noise of a petrol
if they could do that then theres your winner

Use a different exhaust if needed, it'll do some noise but the torque and speed will just do nicely.

Offline uneverwalkalone

• LFC TV now available on SKY 448, Virgin Media 544 or e-season ticket. Happy to buy from touts.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #470 on: January 11, 2008, 12:49:11 am »
just posted this in the new car thread, but it will probably get more response here...

Speaking of cars - anyone got an X3?

Fancy a jeepy looking thing for my next car, and want to stick with BMW, but couldn't quite stretch to an X5

Anyone have one / had one / know anyone with one?

X4 coming out soon, also an X6

Offline 7Dalglish

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #471 on: January 11, 2008, 12:53:15 am »
You want it there for you to hear, though. That's something you don't really get with a diesel. You don't get the steady snarl of a nice six cylinder, or the basso rumble of a V8. Good cars are quiet until you want them to be loud.

Also, the power progression on diesels is a little hard to appreciate. If you've grown up on petrol, the whole notion of having loads of low end torque, which then kind of peters out when the turbo decides it's done, is a little unsettling.

The sound of a rotary engine at 9000rpm over a V6 or V8 any day, it's sweet music.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #472 on: January 11, 2008, 09:01:02 am »
What litre engine has that got, Michael?

3.2 litres  ;)

Offline NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speak softly love so no one hears us but the sky
« Reply #473 on: January 11, 2008, 09:07:17 am »
The last sound I want to hear for 3 hours on a long drive is incessant engine screaming.

The last sound I would want to hear is you talking for 3 hours on a long drive  :D
I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed,
A wound that will not heal, a heart that cannot feel.
Hoping that the horror will recede,
Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed.........JUSTICE.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #474 on: January 11, 2008, 09:07:42 am »
You want it there for you to hear, though.

No, I don't. I really don't want a car that interferes with what I want to listen to when driving.

If you've grown up on petrol, the whole notion of having loads of low end torque, which then kind of peters out when the turbo decides it's done, is a little unsettling.

That's why they have gears ;)

Seriously, though, possibly people are used to changing higher in petrol cars, so when they drive a diesel it feels sluggish - anyone used to driving a diesel would be changing too low in a petrol.

I know in my current car (BMW diesel) I'll not go any higher than 4.5k revs or it starts to peter out - a petrol driver would probably want to push it on to 6k, as that would be what they were used to doing - and then blame the car for it, rather than their unadaptive driving style. But I know I get the best acceleration in that 2000 - 4500 range

(note - this is if you're blasting it for a fast run - I'll normally change at about 2.5-3k in everyday driving, I'm not caning the shite out of the engine all the time)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 09:14:13 am by nidgemo »

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #475 on: January 11, 2008, 09:09:05 am »
The last sound I would want to hear is you talking for 3 hours on a long drive  :D

I bet you'd love it.

I'm fantastically entertaining, informed and argumentative. I'm great company. :D

Offline voronin_is_ghod

• Officially very annoying and doesn't know what he's doing.
  • Legacy Fan
  • makes me wanna grow a ponytail
« Reply #476 on: January 11, 2008, 09:09:17 am »
i drive a ferarri but its in the shop so im driving a ford fiesta

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #477 on: January 11, 2008, 10:10:31 am »
No, I don't. I really don't want a car that interferes with what I want to listen to when driving.

That's why they have gears ;)

Seriously, though, possibly people are used to changing higher in petrol cars, so when they drive a diesel it feels sluggish - anyone used to driving a diesel would be changing too low in a petrol.

I know in my current car (BMW diesel) I'll not go any higher than 4.5k revs or it starts to peter out - a petrol driver would probably want to push it on to 6k, as that would be what they were used to doing - and then blame the car for it, rather than their unadaptive driving style. But I know I get the best acceleration in that 2000 - 4500 range

(note - this is if you're blasting it for a fast run - I'll normally change at about 2.5-3k in everyday driving, I'm not caning the shite out of the engine all the time)

they are alright for reps, taxis, tractors, buses and lorries, but for enthusiasts, where engine sound, speed, driveability are paramount, then it's petrol all the way.

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #478 on: January 11, 2008, 10:11:32 am »
a new mondeo just drove past me, i quite like it :-/

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #479 on: January 11, 2008, 10:28:35 am »
they are alright for reps, taxis, tractors, buses and lorries, but for enthusiasts, where engine sound, speed, driveability are paramount, then it's petrol all the way.

Used to be.

nowadays the speed and driveability is no different. Only the engine sound (which I don't want to hear anyway) is different.