Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4242347 times)

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #76960 on: May 25, 2024, 11:39:08 pm »
What a scrap that was
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76961 on: May 25, 2024, 11:39:27 pm »
Got it 7-5 Catterall.  But it could go either way.

Taylor was the more aggressive all the way through and the judges like that.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #76962 on: May 25, 2024, 11:39:29 pm »
Fantastic fight, i'd like to see this again.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Lee-87

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76963 on: May 25, 2024, 11:39:54 pm »
Jack by 2 for me, but a few really close rounds, one the other way and I have it a draw.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76964 on: May 25, 2024, 11:39:58 pm »
Catterall by 2 for me.

Give us a trilogy lads.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #76965 on: May 25, 2024, 11:40:35 pm »
Proper 50-50 fight.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76966 on: May 25, 2024, 11:41:02 pm »
2, 9 and 10 were hard to score.  I gave 2 to Taylor and 9 and 10 to Catterall.

If you give 9 and 10 to Taylor he wins 7-5.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76967 on: May 25, 2024, 11:41:57 pm »
117-111 is a bit much
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76968 on: May 25, 2024, 11:41:58 pm »
117-111

116-113

116-113

Unanimous Decision for Catterall

Online HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76969 on: May 25, 2024, 11:42:18 pm »
Well done Catterall. He deserved that.

Offline Lee-87

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76970 on: May 25, 2024, 11:42:24 pm »
UD, not even close on the judges cards

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #76971 on: May 25, 2024, 11:42:29 pm »
117-111 is a bit much
yeah it was closer than that
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Lee-87

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76972 on: May 25, 2024, 11:47:35 pm »
Taylor should get on the mic and wish the crowd a Happy New Year.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76973 on: May 25, 2024, 11:47:49 pm »
Bob Arum has had a drink ;D

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76974 on: May 25, 2024, 11:47:51 pm »
Haha Arum has lot it lol

Offline Lee-87

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76975 on: May 25, 2024, 11:48:08 pm »
Fucking hell Arum, retire already ya arle gobshite

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76976 on: May 25, 2024, 11:48:11 pm »
Someone put Bob to bed  :lmao
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76977 on: May 25, 2024, 11:48:31 pm »
Arum needs to pipe down as if judges in America are clean !

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76978 on: May 25, 2024, 11:48:51 pm »
Someone put Bob to bed  :lmao
Ideally a bed in a clinic in Switzerland...

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76979 on: May 25, 2024, 11:49:27 pm »
Who gave the mic to Bob?

Offline Lee-87

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76980 on: May 25, 2024, 11:49:31 pm »
Josh your face looks like a Picasso, you didn't nick it.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76981 on: May 25, 2024, 11:54:18 pm »
7-5 Catterall for me but that was very close

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #76982 on: May 25, 2024, 11:55:33 pm »
That fight shows how difficult it is to score boxing matches and how flawed the scoring system is.

The need to have a 10-9 for one fighter in every round simply doesn't work.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 11:00:45 am by Eeyore »
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76983 on: May 25, 2024, 11:57:30 pm »
That fight shows how difficult it is to score boxing matches and how floored the scoring system is.

There's nothing to stop them scoring it 9-9 if they want, and actually 2 of the judges must have done just that.

You used to see the occasional 10-8 round as well without a KD happening, but you never see that any more.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #76984 on: May 26, 2024, 12:21:41 am »
Didn’t see it but reading Taylor wants a third fight.

Catterall probably doesn’t see any need as despite what the records say he’s beaten Taylor twice now.

At least it sounds like the right man got the decision tonight.

From memory I think it was the decision in their first fight why I don’t bother with boxing as much these days. One of the worst I can recall
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 12:24:15 am by duvva 💅 »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76985 on: May 26, 2024, 01:31:44 pm »
Didn’t see it but reading Taylor wants a third fight.

Catterall probably doesn’t see any need as despite what the records say he’s beaten Taylor twice now.

At least it sounds like the right man got the decision tonight.

From memory I think it was the decision in their first fight why I don’t bother with boxing as much these days. One of the worst I can recall

I couldn't agree more, mate. So glad Catterall got the decision last night. Funnily enough I am currently rewatching their first fight on YouTube. I'm 6 rounds in and I have Catterall winning at least 5 of the first 6 rounds so far. How Taylor was given the win is still mind blowing.

Anyway back to watching the second half of their first fight  ;D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 01:39:02 pm by HardworkDedication »

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #76986 on: May 26, 2024, 02:57:54 pm »
Fell asleep during the fight last night, remember thinking Taylor had his best round in round 7 and Catterall was well ahead.

Bastard hay fever tablets  :no

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #76987 on: May 27, 2024, 04:47:16 pm »
That fight shows how difficult it is to score boxing matches and how flawed the scoring system is.

I've long been an advocate of this, theres far too many close rounds scored 10-9 when theirs nothing decisive in the rounds to split the fighters and it makes for fucked up final  scorecards.  Judges should be scoring way more rounds even imo so the decisive rounds are the ones that sway the fight.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #76988 on: May 27, 2024, 05:07:52 pm »
I've long been an advocate of this, theres far too many close rounds scored 10-9 when theirs nothing decisive in the rounds to split the fighters and it makes for fucked up final  scorecards.  Judges should be scoring way more rounds even imo so the decisive rounds are the ones that sway the fight.

Personally, I feel we need a scoring system that has more graduations. Dominant rounds should be score more heavily than tight rounds that one fighter nicks. Currently, unless you have points deducted then it is usually 10-9's with the very odd level round or a 10-8.

Give the judges more latitude to differentiate between dominant rounds and tight ones. You could have 10-6 if there are a couple of knockdowns, 10-7 for a knockdown, 10-8 for a dominant round and 10-9 for a close round.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #76989 on: May 27, 2024, 06:38:19 pm »
Personally, I feel we need a scoring system that has more graduations. Dominant rounds should be score more heavily than tight rounds that one fighter nicks. Currently, unless you have points deducted then it is usually 10-9's with the very odd level round or a 10-8.

Give the judges more latitude to differentiate between dominant rounds and tight ones. You could have 10-6 if there are a couple of knockdowns, 10-7 for a knockdown, 10-8 for a dominant round and 10-9 for a close round.

I've always liked the sound of the half point system when this has come up for MMA. Pretty much the same as yours but you keep the 10-8 structure.

A close period yields a tally of 10-9.5. A clear winner 10-9. Rounds delivering damage or domination 10-8.5. Damage and domination will be scored 10-8.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76990 on: May 27, 2024, 06:41:46 pm »
Boxing judges don;t know how to add up whole numbers and you're introducing decimal points and half points to the mix?  ;D

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76991 on: May 27, 2024, 07:38:57 pm »

10 point must already allows for basically all of that. The problem is the judges just scored 10-9 all the time but they don't have to. You can do 10-10 for an even round, 10-9 for a close round, 10-8 for a dominant round and take points off for KDs from there.

I think the problem with judging has more to do with the fact that sitting ringside is much harder to see what's going on than watching on the TV.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76992 on: May 27, 2024, 07:47:06 pm »
That's why I said "Hawkeye" the shit out of it. Install camera's on all four corners that feeds into the judges, so when someone connects with a punch and they deam it a scoring shot they'll have 3 seconds to press the button.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76993 on: May 27, 2024, 08:59:11 pm »
That's why I said "Hawkeye" the shit out of it. Install camera's on all four corners that feeds into the judges, so when someone connects with a punch and they deam it a scoring shot they'll have 3 seconds to press the button.
You still need to account for things like quality, aggression etc. But yeah, understanding whether a shot actually landed or not would be a good first step.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76994 on: May 28, 2024, 03:14:43 pm »
Boxing's Survivor Series this weekend lads.  ;D

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76995 on: May 28, 2024, 06:42:15 pm »
Terence Crawford has now been made WBC Champion Emeritus.  ;D

His next fight is up at Light Middle against Madrimov on August 3rd.

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #76996 on: May 28, 2024, 09:12:18 pm »
Only just got round to watching Fury v Usyk in a sober capacity, that was a hell of a fight, I scored it 114-113 Usyk.

Usyk is a special fighter, his footwork to keep the pressure on and make the opponent work is completely elite, can only think of prime Ali in the heavyweights that can match Usyk for that.

I had Fury well ahead at the halfway stage, rounds 5 and 6 he put a clinic on Usyk, Usyk looked really gassed at this stage, he looked really disorientated on the stool at the end of the 7th when he asked to kiss the crucifix in the corner.

Round 8 was the huge turning point, that big looping left hook tipped the fight on its head, that same one punch broke Furys nose and put an egg under his eye at the same time, Furys whole demeanour changed from that point on  he seemed to have trouble breathing through his nose and with the amount of blood his nose was pissing.

Round 9 was like something out of Rocky 4 when Usyk knocked Fury all round the ring, I can understand people saying the referee saved him with the standing 8 count but he was genuinely being held up by the ropes at that point which means he should be given that 8 count, a big stroke of luck for Fury that or he would have at least been knocked down and possibly stopped.

Not sure how Fury recovered to get through the 10th, and he was competitive enough by the 11th to put a question mark on the last 2 rounds.

Usyk the deserved winner but an excellent contest, that left hand in the 8th was the most significant punch of the fight, Fury beaten but again demonstrating some of the best recuperative powers in the sport when his backs against the wall.

Usyk a firm favourite for the rematch but Fury a live underdog imo.

Offline Lisan Al Gaib

• Anny Roader
  • Lead them to Paradise
« Reply #76997 on: May 28, 2024, 09:19:37 pm »

Round 9 was like something out of Rocky 4 when Usyk knocked Fury all round the ring, I can understand people saying the referee saved him with the standing 8 count but he was genuinely being held up by the ropes at that point which means he should be given that 8 count, a big stroke of luck for Fury that or he would have at least been knocked down and possibly stopped.

I get what you're saying with Fury being held up by the ropes but my argument is that Usyk was landing at will without any defence or retaliation from Fury for about 30 seconds before the standing 8 count and that's why I thought it should have been stopped.

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #76998 on: May 28, 2024, 09:30:54 pm »
Yeah definitely a case for it being stopped but this is Fury, and its undisputed, and his exellencey would probably have you beheaded if you did that  ;D

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #76999 on: May 28, 2024, 10:11:57 pm »
Got to say as well, what the actual fuck is John Fury doing in that corner, literally telling Tyson the exact opposite advice to Sugar Hill in the corner, you could see from Stewards face how pissed off he was with John Furys imput.  Theres no way he can be in the corner for that rematch.