Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3509550 times)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #20040 on: November 28, 2011, 03:49:07 pm »
Sorry, shows how long it's been since I watched the 1982 version, was this supposed by be a prequel?

Yeah prequel. As you see when they credits role :P

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #20041 on: November 28, 2011, 03:56:18 pm »
Yeah prequel. As you see when they credits role :P

Exteremly drunk by the end of it mate.....and by the time the credits rolled, I had moved onto a more energetic form of entertainment!

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #20042 on: November 28, 2011, 05:47:59 pm »
Watched Stakeland last night. Fucking fantastic film, loved every minute of it I really did.
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #20043 on: November 28, 2011, 06:09:12 pm »
Exteremly drunk by the end of it mate.....and by the time the credits rolled, I had moved onto a more energetic form of entertainment!
Ahhh you got the Wii out.
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #20044 on: November 28, 2011, 06:50:16 pm »
Ahhh you got the Wii out.

Dammit you got me....xbox kinect though lol

Offline Fighting Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • I wouldn't ride her into battle !!!
« Reply #20045 on: November 28, 2011, 10:06:58 pm »
People, help me decide, I have 'The Devils Double' and 'The Debt' for tonight, if you had to pick one, which one would it be??  :wave

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20046 on: November 28, 2011, 10:07:33 pm »
People, help me decide, I have 'The Devils Double' and 'The Debt' for tonight, if you had to pick one, which one would it be??  :wave

tough, one, the debt for me though
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20047 on: November 28, 2011, 10:15:13 pm »
Just seen Moneyball which I thoroughly enjoyed.
Going to see Mark Kermode giving a talk at Fact tomorrow, might watch 50/50 afterwards if I have time afterwards.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Carllfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20048 on: November 28, 2011, 11:38:50 pm »
Anyone seen Desperate Hours(1991)?

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20049 on: November 28, 2011, 11:44:34 pm »
Anyone seen Desperate Hours(1991)?
No but Desperate Hours (1995) is absolutely sublime!
"Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt."

Offline Carllfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20050 on: November 28, 2011, 11:48:16 pm »
No but Desperate Hours (1995) is absolutely sublime!

Never heard of one made in 1995.

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20051 on: November 28, 2011, 11:51:07 pm »
Never heard of one made in 1995.
It's a real belter!
"Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt."

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Officially the 7th best poster you'll see on here.
« Reply #20052 on: November 29, 2011, 11:01:09 am »
There's a screener out there for Woody Harrelson's new movie, Rampart. His performance is supposed to be excellent. Movie doesn't come out over here until February.
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

Offline Fighting Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • I wouldn't ride her into battle !!!
« Reply #20053 on: November 29, 2011, 12:17:36 pm »
Decided on 'The Debt' and I was not disappointed, excellent.

Have 'The Devils Double' for tonight after the game  :)

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20054 on: November 29, 2011, 12:25:02 pm »
Devils double quality.

Dr. cheers for the woody shout. On that one tonight.
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20055 on: November 29, 2011, 12:33:57 pm »
Make sure you read the comments regarding 'Rampart', the majority of releases have fucked up interlacing.  A few decent copies are starting to trickle out now.

Offline Carllfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20056 on: November 29, 2011, 02:44:14 pm »
It's a real belter!

You must mean 1955 or 1991.

Offline Danyaals Kop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #20057 on: November 29, 2011, 02:45:17 pm »
Johnny English Reborn : Enjoyed it.

4/5

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20058 on: November 29, 2011, 03:16:00 pm »
I also saw Before Sunrise and Before Sunset. I thought the sequel was much better than the acclaimed original. Before Sunset seems a much more focused and tighter piece.

First time I saw them, I watched them back to back and I preferred the first one over the second. Probably because I felt the second was a bit more cynical than the first, most obviously, Celine had seemed to change. Also, I much preferred Vienna to Paris, in terms of the cinematography. Still both good films.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Alphaville

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lucas Lover
« Reply #20059 on: November 30, 2011, 09:39:23 pm »

Take Shelter (2011) - Hot on a lot of positive buzz from Cannes, Sundance and the Gotham Awards, Take Shelter tells the story of a man, Curtis, coming to terms with visions and nightmares which seem to either foretell a cataclysmic weather event or the onset of paranoid schizophrenia.  Afraid for his family's safety, Curtis starts to act upon what his visions are telling him and is compelled to build a storm shelter in his backyard, causing conflict with his wife, family and colleagues. 

The film could be categorized as a study in magical realism, but that would be doing it a great disservice.  Curtis' "episodes" are starkly presented, often to chilling effect. Curtis' real-life world is devoid of romanticism but that's not to say that it is devoid of heart.  Families and friends love one another, but there are bills to pay, jobs to finish and people to care for. Anchoring the story in the muck and joy of real life serves the double purpose of making Curtis' descent into his personal hell both alarming and deeply affecting, culminating into an absolutely jaw-dropping scene where Curtis' actions appear to come to a head. Unfortunately, the movie looses its impetus shortly after that and unravels into a series of head-scratching set-pieces that almost devalue all the fantastic work that had been done before.  It is as though a great novel had been turned into a gimmicky novella at the last second and I believe that there is a definite case for cutting 10 minutes from the movie's running time or changing the ending entirely. 

The cast are absolutely brilliant with a special mention to the two Boardwalk Empire alumni, Michael Shannon who plays Curtis and Shea Whigham who plays his best friend, as well as Jessica Chastain who plays Curtis' wife.  I'd never heard of the director Jeff Nichols before but he seems to have an interesting eye and I'll try to keep track of his future work. Too bad about the ending, but there is enough good there to salvage a recommendation. pro
Check out my friend's band Fevers and their new EP (free to download): http://fevers.bandcamp.com/

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
  • Does anybody wanna buy a country?
« Reply #20060 on: November 30, 2011, 11:21:15 pm »
Daniel Day Lewis sporting his Lincoln look...

"My country is the world, and my religion to do good." (Thomas Paine)

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20061 on: November 30, 2011, 11:31:38 pm »
He looks boss, like he's carved out of wood
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Alphaville

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lucas Lover
« Reply #20062 on: December 1, 2011, 03:37:22 am »
I didn't know they were filming a movie about Lincoln. Look at that cast list: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443272/

It looks absolutely top-notch.
Check out my friend's band Fevers and their new EP (free to download): http://fevers.bandcamp.com/

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20063 on: December 1, 2011, 03:44:57 am »

Too bad about the ending, but there is enough good there to salvage a recommendation. pro

I thought the ending was quite good myself. All sort of ways you can interpret it in addition to the obvious one.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Alphaville

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lucas Lover
« Reply #20064 on: December 1, 2011, 04:10:05 am »
I thought the ending was quite good myself. All sort of ways you can interpret it in addition to the obvious one.
I can see how opinions could differ on it, because it's a bit of an OMG ending.  I just found it cheap and gimmicky. I'm not one to tell directors and writers how to do their jobs, but it just didn't work for me and seriously affected my enjoyment of the film

Spoiler
Ok, fantasy land where I get to re-write scripts.  Using the current footage, I would have ended it when they come out of the shelter with the white light hitting his face, before they see that everything is alright.  The viewer is left with a sense that he might be right, he might be wrong, and we don't need to go through the psychiatrist scene, and the beach scene.  The message is the same, and the movie is leaner and doesn't feel as gimmicky.

If I was to re-write the ending completely, I would have made the family hide in the shelter away from Curtis i.e. he's the storm, he's the thing that his family needs protection from, and he'd been building something to protect his family from himself all along.

Still, I liked 90% of the movie and I thought that scene in the community hall was earth-shatteringly good.
[close]

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #20065 on: December 1, 2011, 04:37:29 am »
I didn't know they were filming a movie about Lincoln. Look at that cast list: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443272/

It looks absolutely top-notch.

Liam Neeson was originally going to play him, but pulled out. Great cast mind you. It always amazes me how Sally Field went from being an Oscar winner and lead dramatic actress to overnight seemingly dropping off the face of the earth in the mid-90s only to re-appear now and again as a secondary actress in a stream of awful films in the early noughties; a mantle now taken on by Helen Hunt

Another film I'm looking forward to with a great cast is John Hillcoat's film The Wettest County. He also directed The Road and The Proposition. It's a prohibition drama to be released next year. Nick Cave wrote the screenplay. The cast includes Gary Oldman, Tom Hardy, Shia LeBeouf, Jessica Chastain, Guy Pearce, Mia Wasikowska and Noah Taylor. The latter is always usually in something interesting. He's probably one of my favourite character actors. How he doesn't appear in more films, I'll never know.

« Last Edit: December 1, 2011, 04:49:53 am by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #20066 on: December 1, 2011, 07:29:55 am »
Not a film but since brad mentioned thundercats thought i would mention this. Quantum leap season two finally available to pre-order on region two. Gotta wait till october though for it to be on sale :(

Have you seen Source Code?

(see Source Code!)
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20067 on: December 1, 2011, 08:24:02 am »
Another trailer for John Carter came out today, which I'm fairly excited about, although worried that regardless of whether or not it's good or bad, it's going to bomb at the box office, given the very high production costs. Needs to make 500m to justify a sequel I think I read, and they don't seem to be marketing it very well. Comes out in in like 3 months, and not many people I know have heard about it, and when shown the trailer point out how it looks like a Star Wars Attack of the Clones / Prince of Persia mash-up and I can't be bothered explaining the irony of that.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20068 on: December 1, 2011, 09:52:26 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/arD1Hmjlqag?version=3&amp;amp;hl=nl_NL" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/arD1Hmjlqag?version=3&amp;amp;hl=nl_NL</a>

Out in the UK already? Steve Mcqueen is brilliant.
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #20069 on: December 1, 2011, 10:30:32 am »
Yeah Shame looks extremely good. I just read Roger Ebert waxing lyrical about it. Probably won't be able to see it for another few weeks though

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20070 on: December 1, 2011, 10:40:19 am »
On the matter of British films, one of the best I've seen all year was 'Weekend'. Now I know some straight people are still reluctant to see films about a blooming gay romance, but 'the one that got away' is such a universal theme, and it's delivered with such honesty and great filmmaking, it's hard not to love it and the naturally written characters in it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-GYFIwAURH4?version=3&amp;amp;hl=nl_NL&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-GYFIwAURH4?version=3&amp;amp;hl=nl_NL&amp;amp;rel=0</a>
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20071 on: December 1, 2011, 01:10:21 pm »
Watched the Devils Double last night. Thought it was very good. Enjoyed it

Offline Alphaville

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lucas Lover
« Reply #20072 on: December 1, 2011, 03:36:46 pm »
On the matter of British films, one of the best I've seen all year was 'Weekend'. Now I know some straight people are still reluctant to see films about a blooming gay romance, but 'the one that got away' is such a universal theme, and it's delivered with such honesty and great filmmaking, it's hard not to love it and the naturally written characters in it.

They played that trailer before a screening of 50/50 and I've been seriously looking forward to seeing that movie ever since.

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20073 on: December 1, 2011, 04:20:11 pm »
They played that trailer before a screening of 50/50 and I've been seriously looking forward to seeing that movie ever since.
Yeah mate, don't know if it's released in the U.K. yet (hasn't been here in Belgium), cause I've seen it at a festival.
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #20074 on: December 1, 2011, 09:31:22 pm »
Out in the UK already? Steve Mcqueen is brilliant.

yeah Shame is out 13 January in the UK. It was shown at the London Film Fest, I covered it here:

Michael Fassbender continues his unstoppable rise in Shame, an art film that is both hypnotic and brave even when it seems to dare you to look away. You'll come out wanting to scrub yourself with hand-gel but not in a Contagion way...

http://www.johnnymessias.com/2011/10/lff-2011-shame.html
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Officially the 7th best poster you'll see on here.
« Reply #20075 on: December 1, 2011, 10:08:27 pm »
Watched The Debt.

Thought it was pretty dull really.
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #20076 on: December 1, 2011, 10:21:33 pm »
just finished watching "man from earth"...

quality movie, intelligent, thought provoking & obviously shot on a low budget...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #20077 on: December 2, 2011, 12:11:24 am »
There is a R5 of In time and a dvdscreener of Ides of March about now.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline The Sky I Scrape

• Kopite
  • Xbox tag-- goatboy1975
« Reply #20078 on: December 2, 2011, 12:34:31 am »
just finished watching "man from earth"...

quality movie, intelligent, thought provoking & obviously shot on a low budget...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/

That looks very good,will have to get onto that one! Cheers mate!
My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #20079 on: December 2, 2011, 01:08:03 am »
Currently watching 'American Pie Presents: The Book of Love'.