Author Topic: Arsenal 3 Liverpool 1 – Post match analysis  (Read 20592 times)

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
Re: Arsenal 3 Liverpool 1 – Post match analysis
« Reply #120 on: May 8, 2005, 06:43:45 pm »

Not as bothered as I should be about this.

Completely agree - don't think either you or I are right.  but there you go

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: May 8, 2005, 06:45:10 pm »
Wouldn't mind that Ronaldinho ... are you watching the Barca match? Fucking player and a half.

Nah, we got Luis Garcia  ;D
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Comb Over

• Main Stander
  • Sir Bob Paisley
« Reply #122 on: May 8, 2005, 06:47:32 pm »
Frustrating our performance today, but not the end of the world ,UEFA cup it is then next season ,we can win that ! The Champions league it aint , but a European trophy it is .Our season doesnt end till May 25th and i d have a 5th European Cup over 4th league pos any day of the week .

"John Houlding is the man to thank .If it wasn,t for him we might all be Evertonians".

Offline zigackly

• ...is Cassius Clay
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You're ferpectly right.
« Reply #123 on: May 8, 2005, 06:50:18 pm »
I agree, up until now, Rafa has handled it superbly I think, but you mean to tell me you don't think he is up to match fitness yet?  I know he has made a miraculous recovery, don't get me wrong, but his last few outings, he's seemed to have the fitness, although I don't know how he is feeling...

You're right though, but don't you think by the 25th, he'll have that match fitness we so desire?

I bloody hope so, but I think he's at 60 minutes right now.
A liar will not be believed, even when he speaks the truth.

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: May 8, 2005, 06:50:43 pm »
11 away defeats from 19 i think it is now!

It's clear for all to see why we're so far off 1st, and that bit off Everton in 4th now!

Transitional season etc etc will mean bugger all next season, and Rafa's current signings need to perform from the off!

I expect an improvement, but my only worry is that if Rafa does go for a major rebuild that we'll suffer from the new guys having to adapt, again!!!

Our early away games next season could shape the way our season goes next year, a couple of good results away from home early might just help us kick on!
"We come here for the winning!"

Offline zigackly

• ...is Cassius Clay
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: May 8, 2005, 06:53:13 pm »

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: May 8, 2005, 06:54:41 pm »
Well, this is gonna be long for me:

1st Half

What a lot of complete and utter shite.

Dudek: Looked out of it totally. Pics from in front of the wall showed a massive area to pop it in. I could have slotted that. Poor handling and we were lucky not to be one down before after he scooped a scuffer to their right back. Made a fantastic reflex save onto the bar but overall was very poor. Nothing to do in the 2nd half. But maybe just as well.

Defence: Deal with as a whole. Fucking poor!! Yes, even Carra. Slow, passing out of defence was abysmal, especially by Sami. Djimi is no Ashley Cole. Arse made them look all over the place. Sami embarassed for pace on more than one occassion

Midfield: Garcia is a liability pushed out on the right. Great in the centre (2nd half) where he has options on both sides for his stuff. Drawn into centre to easily and left loads of room for Pires, Cole and Reyes to exploit.

Hamman: Created nothing. Broke up nothing really. Innefective in both roles. Arse just passed it around him. Needless foul for free kick as ball had run away from Arse.

Xabi: Ineffective after first 15 min. Couple of passes went astray and was pressed when he had the ball, bypassed by Arse when he didnt.

JAR: Never got involved. Had a sitter that should have been pulled back to Garcia for a tap in. Looked absolutely knackered and again was pulled all over the place by Arse.

SG: Totally lost. was playing further up than Milan a lot of time. He's our major playmaker and unless hes got something to pass to or tackle hes wasted.

Milan: Ineffective!! Looked as though he knows he's not gonna score (or be here next year)

Overall: Outplayed by a good Arse performance, but didnt look like they knew what they were meant to be doing.

2nd Half

Dudek: Fuck all to do really, but didnt exactly inspire confidence.

Defence: not as much to do, but again didnt inspire confidence. Arse didnt attack, so they didnt look as bad as 1st half. Picked apart for 3rd.

Garcia: Much more effective in the centre but seemed to lack any conviction. Couple of good lay offs but nothing outstanding from the little fellah.

Gerrard: Played deeper and much more effective. We seemed much more involved with him breaking up and starting things. Much preferred position. One glorious pass for Luis.

Xabi: More time on the ball as Arse played deeper. Couple of gooduns, couple of wasted uns. Seemed a lot better with SG around him. Nothing spectacular though.

Kewell: Not a HK hater at all but surely this lad must know he has to perform. Was shite. The rest of the team upped their game ...he was fuckin wasteful. Times run out for me Im afraid. Spent more time lookin and complaining for fouls than doing anything anything productive.

Smicer: Ineffective. What he did do was slow down attacks and basically give the ball away.

Cisse: Huge improvement on Baros. One or two good layoffs, one or two shite ones. Seems to think he needs to score with every ball he gets. Fast as fuck like. But needs to realise he's got others around who will score.

Overall: Thought we were a little better but Arse sat a lot deeper giving us more posession and made us look good. Dont think we created more than one flowing attack the whole 2nd half.

The game overall: We still have a long way to go to be up with Arsenal, who are a very good team. On their day, they are much better  footballing team than Chelsea.  Not all doom and gloom though...we're goint to the CL final and no fucker else is.

Already had the bitter bastards on the text.  :no

All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #127 on: May 8, 2005, 06:54:52 pm »
I genuinely believe that we are not that far from a good team - the Champs League games support this - but we need to get a cohesive spine to the team if we are to progress.

Cech / Terry / Lampard / {anyone}    looks stronger than  Dudek / Hyypia / Gerrard / {anyone} to be brutally honest

Offline Revenge of the Sixth

• Kopite
  • Rafa is a legend
« Reply #128 on: May 8, 2005, 06:56:37 pm »
I genuinely believe that we are not that far from a good team - the Champs League games support this - but we need to get a cohesive spine to the team if we are to progress.

Cech / Terry / Lampard / {anyone}    looks stronger than  Dudek / Hyypia / Gerrard / {anyone} to be brutally honest

New Keeper Carra Gerrard???

I think we need width, a keeper and a fast centre half.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: May 8, 2005, 06:56:59 pm »

the second half proved we're not as far away as was feared in the 1st half. also, let's not forget that we've just reached a champs league final- it's obviously going to effect the player's minds. rafa must have given one hell of a team talk at half time though- and because of it we controlled the 2nd half- deserved a point.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Beef

• Jerky
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: May 8, 2005, 06:57:40 pm »
Liverpool, what have you done. :(

Offline HIRA

• Legacy Fan
    • Liverpool Appreciation
« Reply #131 on: May 8, 2005, 06:57:55 pm »
What is important now for the Villa game is to ensure we get the 5th spot, we cannot let ourselves slip down to sixth or seventh.
Throw your dreams into space like a kite, and you do not know what it will bring back; a new life, a new friend, a new love, a new country.
- Anais Nin

http://theliverbird.blogspot.com/

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: May 8, 2005, 06:59:38 pm »
I genuinely believe that we are not that far from a good team - the Champs League games support this

36 points away from 1st
25 points, just 5 better off than last year's champions
6 points off Everton
And 5 points (potentially 2) worse off than last year

suggests we're very far off a good team.

It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline The Red artist.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • With hope in your heart.
« Reply #133 on: May 8, 2005, 07:00:11 pm »
You really think we'll beat Milan? No fucking chance. And if we do, it will be an embarrasment to football. There will only be Rafa who deserves any credit.

what a load of shite,embarrassment to football my arse!we have a very good chance of winnin the European cup for the 5th time.And we fuckin deserve to be there.
Y.N.W.A....J.F.T.96.

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: May 8, 2005, 07:00:33 pm »
Quick one...

Why wasn't Le Tallec on the bench? Injured?
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline HIRA

• Legacy Fan
    • Liverpool Appreciation
« Reply #135 on: May 8, 2005, 07:01:09 pm »
New Keeper Carra Gerrard???

I think we need width, a keeper and a fast centre half.

Yep, those three are the most important things we need to improve, most people would agree with that.
Throw your dreams into space like a kite, and you do not know what it will bring back; a new life, a new friend, a new love, a new country.
- Anais Nin

Offline Mr T

• Anny Roader
« Reply #136 on: May 8, 2005, 07:01:10 pm »
There a couple of right whoppers on this forum.

My thoughts on the game: We were a little rusty in defence, trying to play the ball out when it should of just been got rid of. I think going in 2-0 at half time was little unlucky. We made up for it in the second half, just a shame we couldn't pull it back.

A fit Harry Kewell is a lot more useful than JAR. Cisse caused them far more problems than Baros. We need a right winger.

I think the way we played in the second half was very promising.

Offline The Fletcher Memorial

• Feels mildly violat.................. ed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reality is hard to find
« Reply #137 on: May 8, 2005, 07:01:33 pm »
36 points away from 1st
25 points, just 5 better off than last year's champions
6 points off Everton
And 5 points (potentially 2) worse off than last year

suggests we're very far off a good team.

You will be eating your words next season Mr Fickle!
The sky does not know of east or of west;
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

Offline HIRA

• Legacy Fan
    • Liverpool Appreciation
« Reply #138 on: May 8, 2005, 07:01:49 pm »
Quick one...

Why wasn't Le Tallec on the bench? Injured?

The only simple answer can be, better options.
- Anais Nin

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: May 8, 2005, 07:02:47 pm »
Microcosm of our season really wasn't it.

Offline HIRA

• Legacy Fan
    • Liverpool Appreciation
« Reply #140 on: May 8, 2005, 07:04:48 pm »
In the league we are not a good team. In the Champions' League we are a good team. That's how it is now at the moment. But the true barometer has to be the league, and there can be few doubts that it will be improved next season, to whatever degree.

To suddenly become a title-challenging team next season would be amazing, but I guess not beyond the realms of imagination.
- Anais Nin

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #141 on: May 8, 2005, 07:05:09 pm »
S'ppose so. Good luck taking their shit :-\ :butt

There is gonna be a riot in our house any time soon - if it wasn't for Istanbul....
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline kopite-stu

• Anny Roader
  • The first and the last. Cardiff 01 & 06.
« Reply #142 on: May 8, 2005, 07:05:10 pm »
Dont really care about todays game. We were never going to get that 4th place. We messed up too many golden opportunities. At least we will beat Villa next week and finish with a home win. Lets just look forward to Istanbul.
Red for life

Offline Hemal

• Legacy Fan
  • I saw Elvis. He sat between me & Bigfoot on a UFO.
Where was nando today ?
« Reply #143 on: May 8, 2005, 07:05:18 pm »
Couldnt see if this had been posted. But was he injured or what ?
Make mine a large

Offline Duffer

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #144 on: May 8, 2005, 07:05:25 pm »
Lets just be happy that we are in the Champions League final, and lets all promise not to piss ourselves laughing when Everton get knocked out of the qualifiers

Offline Spartacus.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
Re: Where was nando today ?
« Reply #145 on: May 8, 2005, 07:05:42 pm »
injured - we're told
RAWK anti scouse?

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #146 on: May 8, 2005, 07:06:38 pm »
Awful first half to be honest esp in defence, they looked absolutely shattered.

The way to play us is to close them down quickly and keep pressing, just as we did at Anfield. We gave them time and space, gave the ball away in key areas and got punished

Dont just blame the defenders, the whole team had to take responsibility.

Baros' first touch seems to get more Heskey-like the longer the season goes on, that chance in the first coupla minutes was golden, maybe he shouldve hit it first time a la Garcia

2nd half was much much better, looks like Stevie had some Lucozade at HT to get that engine going again
Cisse, apart from his shooting looked great, he played people in, made sum good runs and , had he been sharp probably wouldve got a goal.

Garcia was also one who left his shooting boots at home, felt he couldve doen better with a coupla chances, esp the one where he was through and hesitated and let Toure in.

Kewell didnt do much IMO but he contributed at least.

Not sure why Smicer came on, I wouldve gone for Nunez, it wouldve stopped Cisse from straying out wide, quite so much and got him into the box

Overall depressed about the result and the prem table but theres nothing we can do, we still have lots to look forward to

Remember all you wrist-slashers and trolls, Milan lost today, they have to go hell for leather in the next few matches theyre are deffo beatable  :wave
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: May 8, 2005, 07:06:42 pm »
You will be eating your words next season Mr Fickle!

Winning the champions league wont change my opinion and I'd be gutted if, after winning the CL, Rafa thought that the squad we had was anywhere near good enough where we expect. LEague form is the best indication to a team's ability to win championships (obviously) and we have been very mediocre for a 3rd successive season.

Offline Spartacus.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #148 on: May 8, 2005, 07:08:23 pm »
and we have been very mediocre for a 3rd successive season.

Rafa's FIRST season thats the fact that matters !
RAWK anti scouse?

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #149 on: May 8, 2005, 07:08:34 pm »
In the league we are not a good team. In the Champions' League we are a good team. That's how it is now at the moment. But the true barometer has to be the league, and there can be few doubts that it will be improved next season, to whatever degree.

To suddenly become a title-challenging team next season would be amazing, but I guess not beyond the realms of imagination.

problem is that Chelsea are finishing so far ahead of everyone, their points total is still amazing
I do however expect us to finish within 10-12 points of 1st place next season.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: May 8, 2005, 07:09:05 pm »
Winning the champions league wont change my opinion and I'd be gutted if, after winning the CL, Rafa thought that the squad we had was anywhere near good enough where we expect. LEague form is the best indication to a team's ability to win championships (obviously) and we have been very mediocre for a 3rd successive season.

He clearly doesn't. The fact that Pellegrino wasn't anywhere near the squad today meant that he doesn't seem to have favourites.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #151 on: May 8, 2005, 07:11:09 pm »
Liverpool CAN win the prem next season, put it this way if Everton can come 4th, anything can happen  ;D
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline zigackly

• ...is Cassius Clay
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: May 8, 2005, 07:13:59 pm »

Excellent point, I think too many forget this.

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: May 8, 2005, 07:14:16 pm »
Couldn't be arsed to be honest.
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: May 8, 2005, 07:15:22 pm »
Couldn't be arsed to be honest.

I didn't see you in the first half  ???

Offline HIRA

• Legacy Fan
    • Liverpool Appreciation
« Reply #155 on: May 8, 2005, 07:16:00 pm »
problem is that Chelsea are finishing so far ahead of everyone, their points total is still amazing
I do however expect us to finish within 10-12 points of 1st place next season.

I don't expect us to challenge next year at all, but we should be more consistent. You can't get any less consistent than this for Liverpool FC.

But we all know, that when pre-season finishes and the opening day comes, the optimism of a new season will tell us there is a chance for the title. If we can win the first few games, then the belief will build in the players and the fans.
- Anais Nin

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #156 on: May 8, 2005, 07:16:10 pm »
History has finally been made in this particular thread. We got beat and nobody has slagged the referee!

In truth we didn't deserve the 4th spot because coming down the home stretch we folded like a cheap accordian. Too many wasted opportunities as we all know. I don't ever recall a season like this one with dreadful league form and yet a chance to win the Champions League! Mind boggling.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: May 8, 2005, 07:16:36 pm »

Of course. My post wasnt really directed at Rafa's management though, more the lack of genuine ability in the squad (which has been pretty similar for a few years now) and how there is a lot of work to be done and that the CL run doesn't mask that.

Offline HIRA

• Legacy Fan
    • Liverpool Appreciation
« Reply #158 on: May 8, 2005, 07:17:39 pm »

Yeah, it is his first season. If this was his 5th season, he would be sacked on the basis of the league table alone. Nobody is saying that yet, so I think everyone is fully aware though, that this is his first season.
- Anais Nin

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: May 8, 2005, 07:17:39 pm »

really? So we can go with 'Rafa's first season and we're in the Champions League Final!' too with such mathematical grace?.. sorry.. don't understand. ?

Anyway. Who gives.. well done Everton. Fully deserved.