Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 629638 times)

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #7000 on: March 30, 2024, 09:54:00 am »
Motta is an interesting candidate. Of the names mentioned both he and Amorim feature highly for me. The club seem to have ruled out Inzaghi which is a shame
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7001 on: March 30, 2024, 09:54:14 am »
This part of the article stuck out to me as well

De Zerbi’s side have not consistently hit the heights of last season but there is an appreciation that he lost his two best players with the sales of Alexis Mac Allister to Liverpool and Moises Caicedo to Chelsea last summer. However, his outspoken nature, and confrontational approach to player recruitment, could count against him.

Is that basically saying he might end up going all Rodgers and fight against the system and want his players if he comes, and just break the whole structure entirely.

I don't want to say he's another Rodgers but...

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #7002 on: March 30, 2024, 09:55:36 am »
That's exactly what he is.

Graham Potter with an Italian accent, he shouldn't even be in the discussion imo.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7003 on: March 30, 2024, 09:56:04 am »
There is always going to be some dodgy names on any manager names shortlist.

Tbf people did think we'd end up with Walter Matzzarri after Rodgers as FSG wouldn't have the knowledge or pull to get Klopp, so I guess that's right.

Still Fonseca is a horrendous shout to put in there

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #7004 on: March 30, 2024, 09:56:16 am »
Question on Amorim, for how long has his team been scoring goals for fun.

That video mentions that his tactics are "Clearly pragmatic" which seems somewhat coded as defensive, and his actual formation does in fact look defensive (3 CB's, two wing backs, and holding midfielders), and it is apparently slower in style than our team, but how long has he had a team scoring for fun?

Is his tactics actually really attacking or are they just scoring a lot right now (with someone like Gyorkeres who is significantly outpacing his XG for example)

Ther s a few managers I can think of who started off looking quite attacking and forward thinking and ended up being some of the worst for deep low block.

I want to know this legitimately because for a team with some of the highest attacking stats in Europe it doesn't set up like how I would imagine an attacking team at all

Fair questions…. Although most successful mangers ‘build from the back’ when they grow a team - as in they cultivate defensively stability first

The massive question is how the fcuk you translate Portuguese performance / numbers to the premier league  … you can look at him over achieving relative to wage bill and so on but there’s always going to be a high degree of risk

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #7005 on: March 30, 2024, 10:00:34 am »
I'd go for Pep.
You try me once you beg for more.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7006 on: March 30, 2024, 10:01:00 am »
Fair questions…. Although most successful mangers ‘build from the back’ when they grow a team - as in they cultivate defensively stability first

The massive question is how the fcuk you translate Portuguese performance / numbers to the premier league  … you can look at him over achieving relative to wage bill and so on but there’s always going to be a high degree of risk

I mean that's the whole reservations I have had on Amorim - for as great as his success has been in Sporting it's very hard to say how that will translate. I think he is the best option but there's still a lot of unknown and he is very much a risk.

But yeah this does have me asking how attacking he may in fact actually be when he gets here. Was this emphasis on his defense back then just building the spine and base to build on, or is he going to end up potentially reverting that way with the harder challenges that come in this league and this level.

Managers like Mourinho, Tuchel, and Ten Hag have gone that way after being considered more forward thinking and attacking in previous jobs

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7007 on: March 30, 2024, 10:03:32 am »

The massive question is how the fcuk you translate Portuguese performance / numbers to the premier league … you can look at him over achieving relative to wage bill and so on but there’s always going to be a high degree of risk

Surely you could say the same about Bundesliga as well.

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7008 on: March 30, 2024, 10:08:46 am »
I mean that's the whole reservations I have had on Amorim - for as great as his success has been in Sporting it's very hard to say how that will translate. I think he is the best option but there's still a lot of unknown and he is very much a risk.

But yeah this does have me asking how attacking he may in fact actually be when he gets here. Was this emphasis on his defense back then just building the spine and base to build on, or is he going to end up potentially reverting that way with the harder challenges that come in this league and this level.

Managers like Mourinho, Tuchel, and Ten Hag have gone that way after being considered more forward thinking and attacking in previous jobs

The year he won the Portuguese title he had the best defense in Europe (conceding 20 over a 34 game span) but lacked the scoring rate of this season's side (1.9 vs 2.9).

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7009 on: March 30, 2024, 10:09:44 am »

Yeah it’s just degrees of risk … Bundesliga is still > Portuguese league
You can use European matches but there’s always a sample size problem

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7010 on: March 30, 2024, 10:10:11 am »

Yes but to a lesser degree. Bundesliga is a better league, it's less of a risk.

This is a very simple take on it I am aware, and there is various factors one way or the other on how closely either of them compare to the PL, but in terms of quality the vast majority of the opposition Amorim faces in Portugal is closer to bottom half PL teams or lower.

Thankfully our egghead's are employed to read all the data and factor in these variables, so we are just talking about this as ignorant fans

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7011 on: March 30, 2024, 10:11:21 am »
Is there a world we’d consider Tuchel? Was listening to Anfield Wrap and there was a mention that maybe we’d consider a more experienced manager.

He seems to rub people the wrong way, but Tuchel is undoubtedly a very good coach. Got Bayern over the line in the Bundesliga last season, won the CL with Chelsea, a couple of titles in France with PSG which admittedly isn’t hugely impressive. I always thought his Chelsea side played really good football - even in those domestic cup finals where we won, I thought they were very well set up and dangerous.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7012 on: March 30, 2024, 10:12:10 am »
The year he won the Portuguese title he had the best defense in Europe (conceding 20 over a 34 game span) but lacked the scoring rate of this season's side (1.9 vs 2.9).

Which is why I would like to know when they started to score more. Is it a blip of this season or has it been a conscious move into that direction

Also for the fact and analysis guys what is a 1.9 score rate like comparatively.

Offline RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
« Reply #7013 on: March 30, 2024, 10:12:40 am »
all that De Zerbi talk is underwhelming as fuck

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7014 on: March 30, 2024, 10:14:16 am »
Is there a world we’d consider Tuchel? Was listening to Anfield Wrap and there was a mention that maybe we’d consider a more experienced manager.

He seems to rub people the wrong way, but Tuchel is undoubtedly a very good coach. Got Bayern over the line in the Bundesliga last season, won the CL with Chelsea, a couple of titles in France with PSG which admittedly isn’t hugely impressive. I always thought his Chelsea side played really good football - even in those domestic cup finals where we won, I thought they were very well set up and dangerous.

He got Bayern over the line because Dortmund choked. It's legitimately a time when a team choked, as it was completely out of Bayerns hands on the last day, and Dortmund couldn't win at home against a poor Mainz side. Nagelsmann was probably on course for a more comfortable win.

He is highly toxic and abrasive too as a managerial style - get players fighting each other so they look to one up each other on the pitch. Great for short term success but leaves the club in absolute shambles afterwards with a dressing room haying everyone including the club itself.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 10:15:56 am by Stockholm Syndrome »

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7015 on: March 30, 2024, 10:16:24 am »
Just read it. Couple interesting bits - says it’s Hughes masterminding the search with input from Edwards. And it was Hughes who received the call from Alonso’s agent saying he was staying at Leverkusen (they know each other as he’s also Iraola’s agent).

Says Amorim under consideration but not the clear favourite. Shortlist being drawn up. De Zerbi and Nagelsmann scored highly in the data analysis. Mentions Inzaghi as an outsider but says the fact he doesn’t speak English will count against him. Also says that Paulo Fonseca is well regarded, and that Thiago Motta has been discussed.
Think we may look more to Italy.
Hughes has a background there

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7016 on: March 30, 2024, 10:17:19 am »
Which is why I would like to know when they started to score more. Is it a blip of this season or has it been a conscious move into that direction

Also for the fact and analysis guys what is a 1.9 score rate like comparatively.

Out of the 4 seasons he's been there Lisbon have only outscored Porto and Benfica this season - so it's possibly an outlier with Gyökeres running hot.

Offline Illmatic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7017 on: March 30, 2024, 10:17:21 am »
Expectations are lowered really as a coping mechanism before the fact. But in the eyes of a manager or an individual, they cannot believe that they can come in and do a worse job and get away with it.

I actually dont think its the managerial change thats the issue, its more than the next manager will have to replace Klopp and his influence, whilst at the same time having probably to look at a life post elite versions of Salah, Robertson, Van Dijk etc. I know we have a good squad but bar Trent, our best players are over 30. Thats not the case at City (in the most part) and Arsenal.

I think Robertson could be replace fairly easily in fact I think it's an area of the squad we should look to upgrade in the summer. For me he's not close to being one of best players in squad anymore; however, still very useful player to have around and has bags of experience. Barring any serious injuries I believe both Van Dijk and Salah I believe could still perform at a very high level for another 2-3 seasons no immediate need to replace either. Alisson could still be our No 1 in another 4-5 years. 
Nas is like the Afrocentric Asian, half-man, half-amazin

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #7018 on: March 30, 2024, 10:17:31 am »
all that De Zerbi talk is underwhelming as fuck

From a data and analytical point of view, his underlying numbers are excellent. I liken it to Jota, the underlying numbers were there for him to explode as a forward.
This season should be given context for Brighton;
1. They lost their key midfielders (look how we performed when Henderson and Fabinho fell off our cliff )
2. The extra games of Europe. Brighton don't have a deep squad, you could be the most talented manager in the world but if you don't have the squad to rotate they will either break or lose focus due to fatigue.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7019 on: March 30, 2024, 10:18:50 am »
That's exactly what he is.

Graham Potter with an Italian accent, he shouldn't even be in the discussion imo.
Outrageous nonsense.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7020 on: March 30, 2024, 10:20:05 am »
This part of the article stuck out to me as well

Is that basically saying he might end up going all Rodgers and fight against the system and want his players if he comes, and just break the whole structure entirely.

I don't want to say he's another Rodgers but...

What had he done that suggests he has a confrontational approach to player recruitment? Just asking as I genuinely don't know.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline MD1990

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7021 on: March 30, 2024, 10:23:52 am »
Amorim's European record bar beating Arsenal isnt great.
Not a great sign imo reminds me of Rodgers a bit
You like players & managers from lesser leagues really impressing in Europe.
Nunez & Diaz 2 examples as players.
Alonso excellent with Bayer too.
Porto for example have done much better

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7022 on: March 30, 2024, 10:24:02 am »
What had he done that suggests he has a confrontational approach to player recruitment? Just asking as I genuinely don't know.

Had a complain about not having enough central midfielders and it's hard to disagree with him to be fair, they've declined in that area huge in the last 9 months or whatever.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7023 on: March 30, 2024, 10:24:38 am »
The de Zerbi recruitment thing is a nonsense - if fsg sold macalister and caicedo and replaced them with Dahoud and Milner wouldn’t you want our a manger to kick off?

These boards are far too low on him generally

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7024 on: March 30, 2024, 10:26:19 am »
How's he remind you of Rodgers?

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7025 on: March 30, 2024, 10:27:52 am »

From a data and analytical point of view, his underlying numbers are excellent. I liken it to Jota, the underlying numbers were there for him to explode as a forward.
This season should be given context for Brighton;
1. They lost their key midfielders (look how we performed when Henderson and Fabinho fell off our cliff )
2. The extra games of Europe. Brighton don't have a deep squad, you could be the most talented manager in the world but if you don't have the squad to rotate they will either break or lose focus due to fatigue.

They also lost Colwill and Sanchez, it’s basically your spine.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7026 on: March 30, 2024, 10:28:34 am »
You like players & managers from lesser leagues really impressing in Europe.
Nunez & Diaz 2 examples as players.
Alonso excellent with Bayer too.
Porto for example have done much better

Yep, for me Van Bronckhorst, Moyes and Glasner should be the 3 man shortlist.

Offline MD1990

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7027 on: March 30, 2024, 10:28:39 am »
The de Zerbi recruitment thing is a nonsense - if fsg sold macalister and caicedo and replaced them with Dahoud and Milner wouldn’t you want our a manger to kick off?

These boards are far too low on him generally
by all accounts klopp & edwards clashed over signings
as long as we get excellent players wont be any issues

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7028 on: March 30, 2024, 10:28:58 am »

That’s the new thing, if it’s not Alonso they are basically Rodger’s, FSG are shit and we’ve gone 10 years back in time.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7029 on: March 30, 2024, 10:31:10 am »
If I was 18 months into my job and somebody was offering me three of the five most demanding jobs in my profession, I’d probably take a step back and think am I rushing? Am I being a bit naive/impulsive? He’s quite clearly switched on, if he ends up being as good a manager as they’re saying, there’ll be plenty of chances to manage the club down the line.

This is all true. There’s also the fact that he’s clearly enjoying being at Leverkusen. I can see why he wouldn’t want to walk away from them now when he’s got the prospect of seeing what he can achieve with them in the Champions League next season. Plus whoever Bayern get to manage them next season, they’re still a shitshow and Xabi has got to fancy his chances of consecutive league titles.

It’s clear from what he said yesterday that he was giving the Liverpool job serious consideration. Turning us down is not because he doesn’t love us. It’s just a shame the opportunity came a year or two too early for him.

But hey, we may well end up with Amorim instead, and the more I read about him, the more I’m excited at that prospect.

Not taking anything for granted until the deal is signed though.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7030 on: March 30, 2024, 10:31:17 am »
Had a complain about not having enough central midfielders and it's hard to disagree with him to be fair, they've declined in that area huge in the last 9 months or whatever.

Oh ok, thanks.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7031 on: March 30, 2024, 10:32:28 am »

Emery is the man if they want an experienced manager. Fuck Tuchel!

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7032 on: March 30, 2024, 10:32:57 am »
That’s the new thing, if it’s not Alonso they are basically Rodger’s, FSG are shit and we’ve gone 10 years back in time.
There's some shite being said about De Zerbi. Embarrassingly so.

Alonso had an opportunity. I hope that opportunity doesn't come to him anytime soon (again).

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7033 on: March 30, 2024, 10:33:23 am »

Surely Villas-Boas is a more apt comparison? Young, successful, Portuguese, Mourinho comparisons. Will probably leave to have a go at Le Mans in 2 years.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #7034 on: March 30, 2024, 10:33:53 am »
There's some shite being said about De Zerbi. Embarrassingly so.

Alonso had an opportunity. I hope that opportunity doesn't come to him anytime soon (again).

Alonso will be the Real Madrid manager in a year.

Offline MD1990

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7035 on: March 30, 2024, 10:34:20 am »
just the european part.
not saying he is any way else similar to Rodgers

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7036 on: March 30, 2024, 10:34:37 am »

I don't know, I don't pay attention to the internal politics of Brighton, it is why the comment was interesting to me. If it's coming from an article like this I have to imagine it's a legitimate concern to our team, given I expect this stuff was leaked by them

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7037 on: March 30, 2024, 10:34:51 am »
Alonso will be the Real Madrid manager in a year.
Good luck to him. Don't want him here now.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7038 on: March 30, 2024, 10:36:18 am »
Out of the 4 seasons he's been there Lisbon have only outscored Porto and Benfica this season - so it's possibly an outlier with Gyökeres running hot.

If the stat needs can add context on this I would be appreciative. Because otherwise that's a little bit of a concern for me; I don't think you win the league here with pragmatic football and I don't think it particularly suits the players we have either

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7039 on: March 30, 2024, 10:36:37 am »
just the european part.
not saying he is any way else similar to Rodgers
Reminds you of Rodgers but isn't similar to him. Got it.