Author Topic: The 'Football was invented in 1992' Sly Sports Premier League draft - discussion  (Read 18494 times)

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
Keane thinking “any chance lads?”

Well he demands plenty as a pundit, he better put a shift in for me
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
Also crapping on Owen on the tele may get you a point too.   ;D

Amazing nobody has picked Owen. His time with us he was an incredible striker, shows just how bad people think of him now.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Amazing nobody has picked Owen. His time with us he was an incredible striker, shows just how bad people think of him now.

I picked him once (backed by Bergkamp) and got absolutely destroyed in the vote. Never again!
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Still people to pick, but there's quite a few that i'm surprised haven't been picked.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Still people to pick, but there's quite a few that i'm surprised haven't been picked.

No names yet. Bonus round proposal incoming  ;)
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Okay, my suggestion for a little bonus round/draft add on -

How would people feel if we did three extra rounds for subs? These would be players you can't put in your final 11s. Just a chance to pick some favourite players who maybe you couldn't fit in or were too hipster even for Hazell. We could potentially open up the nationalities again with these ones or keep to the same rules. Whatever people prefer.

Subs used to be a thing in ye olden RAWK drafts. In fact, sometimes they'd all draft up to 18 player squads!

Of course, if you're feeling like you're done with it then that's fine too  :)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Sure why not. I’m in.

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Nice idea. To go down the hipster rabbit hole, keep to the same rules?. Also is a sub keeper necessary?.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Nice idea. To go down the hipster rabbit hole, keep to the same rules?. Also is a sub keeper necessary?.

Yeah, I think same rules would be more fun. Definitely gets us some even more obscure names picked.

I was going to suggest one defender, one midfielder, and one attacker. Won't be too strict about positions. Maybe use wiki as a guide. e.g. Philipp Degen is listed on there as a right back and right winger. So you could have him as either your defender or midfielder pick.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
You're going to force someone to pick George Weah for fucks sakes.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
You're going to force someone to pick George Weah for fucks sakes.

Let's face it, it's going to be you mate.

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
    • X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd

Happy with that. Obviously a few players I dislike but in a Premier League draft that's inevitable, unless you sacrifice quality.

Will do a bit of a write up later.
"Believe you are the best, then make sure that you are." - Shankly

X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd - https://x.com/TheLiverNerd

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
Yeah, I think same rules would be more fun. Definitely gets us some even more obscure names picked.

I was going to suggest one defender, one midfielder, and one attacker. Won't be too strict about positions. Maybe use wiki as a guide. e.g. Philipp Degen is listed on there as a right back and right winger. So you could have him as either your defender or midfielder pick.

Yeah happy to do this.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Let's face it, it's going to be you mate.

;D

Chelsea or Man City version?

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Happy with or without a bonus round but would suggest keeping the countries in play if we did.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It's a no from me unless we can put them in the first team

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
You really want George Weah of Chelsea fame in your starting lineup?

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
Happy to do it but fuck me Betty it took me ages to put that formation up! I’ve only just been introduced to the delights of imgur! How do we present this format wise?
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Online Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
Purely because I’m not around as much the next few days, it’s a no from me. If they aren’t going into the starting line up though I could just be skipped and pick some at any time.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Happy to do it but fuck me Betty it took me ages to put that formation up! I’ve only just been introduced to the delights of imgur! How do we present this format wise?

They wouldn't affect your already posted formations, mate. It's just a bit of fun really. Doubt much attention will be paid to them, but I'd probably just list them below each person's formation like so -

Subs: Pep Guardiola, Sheikh Mansour, Gearge Weah

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Purely because I’m not around as much the next few days, it’s a no from me. If they aren’t going into the starting line up though I could just be skipped and pick some at any time.

Fair enough, mate. I'll wait for a few more views before deciding on it, but yeah you'd be welcome to throw your picks down whenever. I don't think these will really impact on the final voting. Just a bit of an extra deep dive into forgotten Premier League players.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Would the subs be included in the overall team perceived strength when it comes to voting?
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
This is RAWK, you'll be lucky if they look at your keeper mate.  ;D

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Would the subs be included in the overall team perceived strength when it comes to voting?

The could be. How I envisaged it was if as a voter you found it too close to call you could consider the subs. But really I don't think there are players left with the country restrictions that could have much of an impact. It's more just a bit of fun to see what players come out from it.

I don't mind if people rather just end it here though.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
I'd be down for some more picks but can understand if people are done.

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

How would people feel if we did three extra rounds for subs? These would be players you can't put in your final 11s. Just a chance to pick some favourite players who maybe you couldn't fit in or were too hipster even for Hazell. We could potentially open up the nationalities again with these ones or keep to the same rules. Whatever people prefer.

Subs used to be a thing in ye olden RAWK drafts. In fact, sometimes they'd all draft up to 18 player squads!

Interesting idea. Keep the same rules if we do it. I still have some aces up my sleeve and am up for it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 12:18:58 am by child-in-time »
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I’d be down, sounds fun. Have thoroughly enjoyed this draft and have a short, easy week with work this week with the Thanksgiving holiday. Perfect time to really scrape the barrel for my bench.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
How about we spin-off this draft and do it for La Liga and Seria A?  :D

Seria A- 1990-2023

La Liga 1990-2023

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
How about we spin-off this draft and do it for La Liga and Seria A?  :D

Seria A- 1990-2023

La Liga 1990-2023

Maybe we should adjust Serie A's timespan though, make it just the golden years up until 2006 (ie Calciopoli)?
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Yeah fine with that mate. Just spitballing here.  :D

Online Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
Here we go, on a pitch. Everyone go get forward as they need, leave the angry Irishman and weird Scot to do their thing.

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
They wouldn't affect your already posted formations, mate. It's just a bit of fun really. Doubt much attention will be paid to them, but I'd probably just list them below each person's formation like so -

Subs: Pep Guardiola, Sheikh Mansour, Gearge Weah

I couldn’t have Pep, already got a Spaniard, so it would have to be Roman Abramovich!

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
I think mikeys got just about the most unlikeable team that's ever been draft, save for Maxi and Kuyt. And it doesn't even include Cristiano Ronaldo or Bruno Fernandes.

Offline NICHOLLS

• Legacy Fan
  • Ohhhhh ya beauty, what a hit son, what a hit!

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Nicholls has done well there. Looks very strong up top and in midfield. Maybe centre back the only weakness. Both decent but both did best with someone more dominant alongside them I think.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
I think mikeys got just about the most unlikeable team that's ever been draft, save for Maxi and Kuyt. And it doesn't even include Cristiano Ronaldo or Bruno Fernandes.

Haha, must be doing something right then!

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Give us a set piece if you dare.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 10:22:29 am by Draex »

Offline NICHOLLS

• Legacy Fan
  • Ohhhhh ya beauty, what a hit son, what a hit!

I've started the ball rolling for anyone who wants to take part in this nostalgia-fest  :-*