Author Topic: Spurs - First Ten Games 23/24 League Champs  (Read 96401 times)

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: Spurs - First Ten Games 23/24 League Champs
« Reply #1440 on: May 14, 2024, 04:04:38 pm »
Looks like half of the fans have listed their tickets on the ticket exchange so its probably not gonna be rocking hahaha

A woman I work with has been offered a couple of tickets for tonight…and has declined. Might have to watch just to see how surreal the atmosphere gets.

Kind of want to see Spurs score first just so I can do a sweepstake on which if their players will then score the deliberate own goal to level it up.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1441 on: May 14, 2024, 10:50:24 pm »
What’s ange going on about?
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1442 on: May 14, 2024, 11:01:51 pm »

Speaking of the bad culture around the club. Fans wanting to lose the game and even speaking of similar noises inside the club.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1443 on: May 14, 2024, 11:16:14 pm »
Speaking of the bad culture around the club. Fans wanting to lose the game and even speaking of similar noises inside the club.
Wow, quite bold.
Imagine someone inside the club actually telling him to ‘let this one go.’

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #1444 on: May 14, 2024, 11:16:37 pm »
Hard to know how to assess Spurs this season. Looked good tonight but have lost 5 in a short span. 4-0 down at Anfield last week and getting a chasing and then wake up. They've had their moments this season but have ultimately only had a 40 game season and not made the most of not being in Europe or a cup run. Villa have hit the wall after playing all those European games but still beat Spurs to 4th.

Postecoglu is right but ultimately what does he give a fuck about Arsenal? He'll give a fuck about a lower transfer budget with no CL income again. Spurs fans won't want their biggest rivals winning the league and gloating all summer. Would be no different if City had pitched up at Old Trafford and going for the league with us (i.e. 2019).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 11:19:33 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1445 on: May 14, 2024, 11:18:45 pm »
I think everyone associated with that laughing stock of a club would do well to listen to him. Don’t get me wrong, I can understand why your fiercest rivals not winning the league is something to be happy about, and it’s not like Spurs even at their best would have stood much of a chance out there tonight, but when the relief of Arsenal not succeeding fades, they could all do with having a big think about what they actually want out of all this.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1446 on: May 14, 2024, 11:22:55 pm »
I think everyone associated with that laughing stock of a club would do well to listen to him. Don’t get me wrong, I can understand why your fiercest rivals not winning the league is something to be happy about, and it’s not like Spurs even at their best would have stood much of a chance out there tonight, but when the relief of Arsenal not succeeding fades, they could all do with having a big think about what they actually want out of all this.

Not to defend them but I remember in 18/19 you had Everton fans wanting City to beat them in February! United at Old Trafford against City was the same and there was several games still to play. Of course they play us and are rabid as fuck and both grind out a draw.

Spurs get something today and Arsenal effectively win the league. You could pick a lot of clubs whose fans would want to lose in that scenario (as outlined above). It's tribal as fuck nowadays. It's not just a Spurs mentality.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1447 on: May 14, 2024, 11:25:10 pm »
Not to defend them but I remember in 18/19 you had Everton fans wanting City to beat them in February! United at Old Trafford against City was the same and there was several games still to play. Of course they play us and are rabid as fuck and both grind out a draw.

Spurs get something today and Arsenal effectively win the league. You could pick a lot of clubs whose fans would want to lose in that scenario (as outlined above). It's tribal as fuck nowadays. It's not just a Spurs mentality.
I remember the Gerrard backpass v Chelsea. Think we were 8th or some such shite so it didn’t really matter to us.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1448 on: May 14, 2024, 11:26:03 pm »

Spot on. "It's just who they are, mate".

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1449 on: May 14, 2024, 11:26:05 pm »
Wow, quite bold.

It needs looking into, all clubs have a duty to not be influenced.by others.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1450 on: May 14, 2024, 11:27:14 pm »
It needs looking into, all clubs have a duty to not be influenced.by others.
In the words of the great Rafa Benitez, ‘football is a lie.’

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1451 on: May 14, 2024, 11:27:22 pm »
Ange finding out what Mourinho and Conte did before him.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #1452 on: May 14, 2024, 11:27:28 pm »
Wow, quite bold.

Fair dinkum to Ange for speaking out.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1453 on: May 14, 2024, 11:32:16 pm »
I remember the Gerrard backpass v Chelsea. Think we were 8th or some such shite so it didn’t really matter to us.

It was a similar scenario. Penultimate game, we had a chance of 4th and a win takes it to the last day (IIRC). If we do get a result it hands the title to the Mancs.

Anfield was like a morgue that day. No cheering for Chelsea or chanting about United, but it wasn't a good atmosphere from the start. It was Rafa's last home game and few even stayed for the lap of honour.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1454 on: May 14, 2024, 11:33:27 pm »
It was a similar scenario. Penultimate game, we had a chance of 4th and a win takes it to the last day (IIRC). If we do get a result it hands the title to the Mancs.

Anfield was like a morgue that day. No cheering for Chelsea or chanting about United, but it wasn't a good atmosphere from the start. It was Rafa's last home game and few even stayed for the lap of honour.
Was it really that long ago? Wow, thought it was much later and we were miles off the top 4. Almost identical scenario then.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1455 on: May 14, 2024, 11:34:38 pm »
Son.......

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1456 on: May 14, 2024, 11:36:20 pm »

I wouldn’t say it’s just a Spurs mentality - in fact, the two other clubs you’ve mentioned here are laughing stocks too as far as I’m concerned. And they solidify the point I’m making really - when your only success is your rival’s failure, then you have far bigger problems that you’ll eventually need to contend with.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #1457 on: May 14, 2024, 11:42:38 pm »
There’s been some weird atmospheres at Anfield through the years, but nothing like tonight. Sometimes it just gets a little awkward and quiet. If I were a Spurs fans I’d want to lose too, but singing “Are you watching Arsenal?” is just pathetic.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1458 on: May 14, 2024, 11:46:18 pm »
There’s been some weird atmospheres at Anfield through the years, but nothing like tonight. Sometimes it just gets a little awkward and quiet. If I were a Spurs fans I’d want to lose too, but singing “Are you watching Arsenal?” is just pathetic.

The Blackburn atmosphere was really weird in 1995. Even sporadic cheering when Blackburn took the lead, but that helped jolt the crowd more and Blackburn were really crap and it was a case of 'fuck this, let's win it, it's up to them to be good enough to beat us".

Any anti-United chants were reserved for after the game (which we won).

What does annoy me is nobody ever does us a favour. Part of why I gave up on the league a while back was Arsenal's last 2 games were United and Everton - if it came down to it both would have been worse than Spurs tonight.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1459 on: May 14, 2024, 11:53:54 pm »

Weirdly it seems it’s only dawned on him tonight how small time Spurs are.

From the short clip of an interview I’ve just seen, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s done.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #1460 on: May 14, 2024, 11:56:30 pm »
The Blackburn atmosphere was really weird in 1995. Even sporadic cheering when Blackburn took the lead, but that helped jolt the crowd more and Blackburn were really crap and it was a case of 'fuck this, let's win it, it's up to them to be good enough to beat us".

What does annoy me is nobody ever does us a favour. Part of why I gave up on the league a while back was Arsenal's last 2 games were United and Everton - if it came down to it both would have been worse than Spurs tonight.
I never see it mentioned how we’re at a disadvantage in terms of our rivalries. Think about when we’ve had title races against City. We’ve been the most important fixture in the calendar for them, United and Everton. I can’t think of another example of three clubs all sharing the same agenda.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #1461 on: May 14, 2024, 11:57:21 pm »

From the short clip of an interview I’ve just seen, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s done.
He seems pretty sound anyway, but he’s gone up in my estimation this last week.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1462 on: May 15, 2024, 12:41:16 am »
All gone pretty sour with Ange and Spurs, hasn't it? A terrible end to the season but overall a position they can build on. Pretty sour comments though, gonna piss off a lot of Spurs fans and staff.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #1463 on: May 15, 2024, 01:07:40 am »

Just seen that clip on Twitter of him shouting at a fan close to the dug-out, who’d apprently been shouting stuff at them all game about ‘throwing it’, and Postecoglu had enough of him by the end  ;D

I haven’t kept up with the table - if Spurs had by some miracle won tonight - they still had a chance of CL?

Cos if that’s a case, then yeah, the fans are mad to be thinking of anything but that. But if they couldn’t, then I can’t say I blame them, football rivalries are huge, especially for those who live amongst them.

Big ask though to beat Abu Dhabi, Spurs looked utter shite last week, which was the first time I’d seen them play a full game in ages.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1464 on: May 15, 2024, 01:19:21 am »
He seems pretty sound anyway, but he’s gone up in my estimation this last week.

Yeh hes got a big manager mentality even if he never reaches those heights. Spurs though, not a big club, wanting to throw the game to make their fans happy. Thats why together theyll never get anywhere. The players did try, but the club as a whole is comfortable in failure.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1465 on: May 15, 2024, 01:24:51 am »
Just seen that clip on Twitter of him shouting at a fan close to the dug-out, who’d apprently been shouting stuff at them all game about ‘throwing it’, and Postecoglu had enough of him by the end  ;D

I haven’t kept up with the table - if Spurs had by some miracle won tonight - they still had a chance of CL?

Cos if that’s a case, then yeah, the fans are mad to be thinking of anything but that. But if they couldn’t, then I can’t say I blame them, football rivalries are huge, especially for those who live amongst them.

Big ask though to beat Abu Dhabi, Spurs looked utter shite last week, which was the first time I’d seen them play a full game in ages.

Yes, they would have been 2 points behind Aston Villa ahead of the last game. With Villa playing on form Palace away, and with Tottenham playing Sheffield Utd, anything would have been possible ...

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #1466 on: May 15, 2024, 01:27:38 am »

Had they won, they would've been 2 points behind Villa for 4th, so it would've come down to the last match. They would've had to win and hope for Villa to lose, because the goal difference would've made a Villa draw as good as a win.
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #1467 on: May 15, 2024, 01:29:37 am »
Yes, they would have been 2 points behind Aston Villa ahead of the last game. With Villa playing on form Palace away, and with Tottenham playing Sheffield Utd, anything would have been possible ...

thanks Mac (and coolbyrne!)

In that case, yeah, not surprised at the reaction. Although no doubt the fans will harp back to the awful run of form they are on anyway. Just seen that Son miss too when he was one on one with the goalie, yikes! 

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #1468 on: May 15, 2024, 02:18:18 am »

That was definitely a weird one. I was working that day, but luckily the fella I was a carer for had a season ticket in the paddock disabled section and I was there with him. I could see arguing and even fights on the Kop between fans wanting us to win and those wanting us to lose so the Mancs lost the title. A fella in the paddock wearing a Blackburn shirt was getting treated like a long lost relative. Hand shakes and welcome greetings galore.

I remember people around me celebrating when we went 2-1 up, but then saying "shit, what have we done?" There were a lot of conflicting emotions that day. 🙃
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1469 on: May 15, 2024, 02:36:40 am »

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #1470 on: May 15, 2024, 07:38:32 am »
A Spurs win and they are two points behind Villa with Villa playing a resurgent Palace away from home. Some Spurs fans are an utter disgrace. My dad was a Spurs and never would he want Arsenal to lose the title more than Spurs having an outside chance of the top 4.

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1471 on: May 15, 2024, 07:41:17 am »
If I were in the stands watching Liverpool playing Blackburn with a Liverpool win meaning Manu won the title against Kenny (our greatest ever player) I would still be cheering on Liverpool. If you're not going to support your team at the ground then give your ticket to someone who will.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1472 on: May 15, 2024, 08:18:57 am »
If I were in the stands watching Liverpool playing Blackburn with a Liverpool win meaning Manu won the title against Kenny (our greatest ever player) I would still be cheering on Liverpool. If you're not going to support your team at the ground then give your ticket to someone who will.

"The foundations are really fragile. The last 48 hours have shown me that. It's inside the club, outside the club." - Ange Postecoglou

Shit of a club.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1473 on: May 15, 2024, 08:22:09 am »

Do Spurs have a North London equivalent of the Bullens Wall? :D

That’s how you’d get to the bottom of their mindset.

All in all very Everton behaviour - cutting your nose of to spite your more successful neighbours.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #1474 on: May 15, 2024, 08:54:09 am »
It was about 85 mins of "Stand up if you hate Arsenal" wasn't it?

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1475 on: May 15, 2024, 08:58:18 am »
All said and done, finishing 5th in the league is a good result for a club that finished 8th the year before and lost their captain and star striker in the summer. Why Spurs fans think they should be doing better is beyond me.
Justice for the 96!

Online 9 kemlyn road

• Main Stander
« Reply #1476 on: May 15, 2024, 09:04:48 am »
If ever there was a day that I was going to be cheering on an opponent in a game against us then that day was it.
Our all time hero returns to anfield with his club on a day they could win the league and stop Utd from winning what would’ve been their third in a row and we were nowhere near winning it.
Utd were getting into their stride of winning everything,league in 93 ,double in 94 ,a possible third straight title that day in 95. The media fawning all over them and Ferguson,loving every bit of it as they flew higher and we fell further behind.
I make no apologies for wanting Blackburn and specifically,Kenny to win that day.
He’d been my idol and had won everything with us as player and manager but left us only 4 years earlier,a broken man .so to see him enjoying life and football again ,fresh,fit,healthy,full of joy with the prospect of winning the league (and stopping THEM from winning it)at his spiritual home was a fairytale ending.
It was our wilderness years of the 90s , we didn’t get much joy those days ,just look at what was to come 12 months later in 96 .

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1477 on: May 15, 2024, 09:27:36 am »
If ever there was a day that I was going to be cheering on an opponent in a game against us then that day was it.
Our all time hero returns to anfield with his club on a day they could win the league and stop Utd from winning what would’ve been their third in a row and we were nowhere near winning it.
Utd were getting into their stride of winning everything,league in 93 ,double in 94 ,a possible third straight title that day in 95. The media fawning all over them and Ferguson,loving every bit of it as they flew higher and we fell further behind.
I make no apologies for wanting Blackburn and specifically,Kenny to win that day.
He’d been my idol and had won everything with us as player and manager but left us only 4 years earlier,a broken man .so to see him enjoying life and football again ,fresh,fit,healthy,full of joy with the prospect of winning the league (and stopping THEM from winning it)at his spiritual home was a fairytale ending.
It was our wilderness years of the 90s , we didn’t get much joy those days ,just look at what was to come 12 months later in 96 .

I hate Manu I just love Liverpool more.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1478 on: May 15, 2024, 09:41:39 am »
All said and done, finishing 5th in the league is a good result for a club that finished 8th the year before and lost their captain and star striker in the summer. Why Spurs fans think they should be doing better is beyond me.
It's the direction of travel though.  They were without their captain and star striker in August to October when they took 26 points from their first 10 games and were, briefly, five points clear at the top.  37 points from 27 games since is West Ham, Brighton and Bournemouth territory.

Despite selling Kane they also had a net spend of over £100m which is very lavish for Levy!  I doubt they'll be repeating that trick this summer, especially now they don't have CL football again.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1479 on: May 15, 2024, 09:49:05 am »

I just came in here to ask that question. What was the atmosphere like inside Anfield that day?  It must have been strange.