Author Topic: French riots  (Read 8181 times)

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: French riots
« Reply #80 on: July 3, 2023, 03:44:01 am »
In my experience the French police leave local people alone when they are law abiding. They are only interested in the scumbags. As it should be.

Those poverty stricken Paris and Marseilles suburbs were once award winning new neighbourhoods with tree lined avenues and schools, libraries, public areas, butchers, bakers, bars, coffee shops. They were good places to live for new immigrants to France. Much better than equivalent places in the UK. What has happened to them since is down to the people who live there, not the people of France who housed them in the first place.

Yep. I don't know who deleted my post, but this will repeat again and again to its cities if a country doesn't pay attention to the psychology of the conditioning a set of people go through and let them all in.
You only want those who don't have room in their heads to blame other factors and are driven to build, no superiority delusion, who break through Islam's dumb conditioning.
It's great that the mod's kid taught a group of North Africans, but to be relevant why don't you ask the Muslim professionals, the business owners, the workers, the real leaders in those looted areas what they think of them. They'll tell you they are scum.

Edit: Ask his grandmother:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/7/2/slain-teenagers-grandmother-calls-for-end-to-riots-in-france

"The people who are breaking things right now, I tell them: stop it,” the woman identified as Nadia by French media told BFMTV on Sunday.
"They used Nahel as an excuse,” she added.
“The cars have done nothing against you, the schools have done nothing against you, the buses have done nothing against you,” Nadia said. “Do not damage the schools, do not damage the buses, it’s the moms who take the buses.”

« Last Edit: July 3, 2023, 07:26:14 am by surfer. Fuck you generator. »

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: July 3, 2023, 03:54:31 am »
You need to know your own level. If you're UK based your lack of filter, of understanding of people, of understanding how things get built and improved on a collective basis has landed you with utter trash in the Tories, the likes of Johnson, Braverman. An artificial construct, that a company or a country is, is only  as good as how well you obsessively manage it. Lose the kumbaya crap and actually develop the filters to sustainably pick the best. Immigration comes down to how well you understand and execute these things.

Edit: spelling
« Last Edit: July 3, 2023, 07:19:54 am by surfer. Fuck you generator. »

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #82 on: July 3, 2023, 08:04:33 am »
One firefighter has died in the fires that have been set by the rioters.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: July 3, 2023, 08:33:11 am »
You get a system where a young kid is shot in the head and killed for a traffic violation, it's no accident though, Macron has systematically used police violence to put down any dissent whether it's from strikers, protestors, visiting football fans or the people who live around the big cities who are daily used to being treated as second class citizens. The minister of the Interior is the same fella who lied to the Senate about us, we only feel under his jurisdiction for a day or two, these people live with these self centred lying bastards daily.

That level of violence doesn't explode out of nowhere, or because you're just scum, it builds up out of feelings of despair and resentment and injustice and when you light that touch paper it doesn't necessarily find the right targets, it often does turn on the wrong people, for once you feel powerful instead of powerless and that feels good. My lad taught loads of French kids of North African dissent, the idea they are all scum is offensive, they can be decent kids, they loved the fact he was from Liverpool and wanted to talk football and Mo Sarah is like a hero to them, not so different from kids in Bootle or Kirkby. The French police don't police by consent they make our police seem like angels, Politically Macron has used them to put down opposition, we got a little taste of that and when violence is used so routinely, when it breaks down it breaks down. If the far right benefit out of that Macron has to take his share of the blame for his political decision to routinely use violence to resolve any problems he faces.

Really good post that. 

The systems are inherently broken, but rather than addressing their root causes, they've just been ignored and supressed.

You have to be somewhat tone deaf to not see that, or perhaps just not aware of the wider societal issues at play.

Obviously, this goes back many years, but particularly after the past 3 years, where inequality has accelerated and disadvantaged groups have been impacted even more, large groups of people are living on the edge and have just had enough.

« Last Edit: July 3, 2023, 11:38:00 am by Red-Soldier »

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: July 3, 2023, 09:06:19 am »
One firefighter has died in the fires that have been set by the rioters.

Absolute scumbags  :no
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: July 3, 2023, 09:12:58 am »
In my experience the French police leave local people alone when they are law abiding. They are only interested in the scumbags. As it should be.

Those poverty stricken Paris and Marseilles suburbs were once award winning new neighbourhoods with tree lined avenues and schools, libraries, public areas, butchers, bakers, bars, coffee shops. They were good places to live for new immigrants to France. Much better than equivalent places in the UK. What has happened to them since is down to the people who live there, not the people of France who housed them in the first place.

Yeah.  They looked really friendly when they were gassing and beating away Liverpool fans last year.  Perhaps they were scum too..?
« Last Edit: July 3, 2023, 09:31:31 am by Red-Soldier »

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #86 on: July 3, 2023, 09:48:11 am »
Jesus wept. The next couple of years could really be sobering. You might have a Trump Mk II government in America, Le Pen in France and Meloni in Italy.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: July 3, 2023, 09:54:36 am »
The sad fact is that the UK isn't the only batshit western nation. We're ahead of the curve, but there are others following behind, even as we all trail the US.

Our one hope is that we will start sorting our shit out ahead of all these countries that still have a lot of pain to go through.

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #88 on: July 3, 2023, 10:22:15 am »
You get a system where a young kid is shot in the head and killed for a traffic violation, it's no accident though, Macron has systematically used police violence to put down any dissent whether it's from strikers, protestors, visiting football fans or the people who live around the big cities who are daily used to being treated as second class citizens. The minister of the Interior is the same fella who lied to the Senate about us, we only feel under his jurisdiction for a day or two, these people live with these self centred lying bastards daily.

That level of violence doesn't explode out of nowhere, or because you're just scum, it builds up out of feelings of despair and resentment and injustice and when you light that touch paper it doesn't necessarily find the right targets, it often does turn on the wrong people, for once you feel powerful instead of powerless and that feels good. My lad taught loads of French kids of North African dissent, the idea they are all scum is offensive, they can be decent kids, they loved the fact he was from Liverpool and wanted to talk football and Mo Sarah is like a hero to them, not so different from kids in Bootle or Kirkby. The French police don't police by consent they make our police seem like angels, Politically Macron has used them to put down opposition, we got a little taste of that and when violence is used so routinely, when it breaks down it breaks down. If the far right benefit out of that Macron has to take his share of the blame for his political decision to routinely use violence to resolve any problems he faces.

Agree with all that.

France's history with Algeria in a very short sum up. The French colonise a country in the 1800's some time, then after the 2nd world war the french need a load of cheap labour to help rebuild France. Invite a load of Algerians to do this but give them shit housing and shit pay. The algerians that came to France thought this was better than the opportunities in their own country (since the french took over) and they stay in those shit conditions without much fuss. Problems start with 2nd generation and 3rd generation algerians who are born in France and grow up in France but realise they are 2nd class citizens.
Then on top of this injustice you have large factions in France who want to get rid of the algerians as they have served their purpose. So as they can't actually ship them back, as they were born in France, they are just forgotten about and left to fester in shit hole areas.

And then an opportunity to fight back and get some "power" arises.

This is a very basic look at what has happened but you reap what you sow. It's sad that innocent people are probably the worse hit by it all but that's governments for you.

alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline Fruity

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: July 3, 2023, 10:29:42 am »
Jesus wept. The next couple of years could really be sobering. You might have a Trump Mk II government in America, Le Pen in France and Meloni in Italy.

I agree. It really feels like there is an opportunity for another Hitler type figure to become prominent again. Personally I find it all pretty scary how the far right seem to be mobilising in so many western countries. What is happening in France is not going to help but I am sure a young 17 year old kid nicking some jewellery isn't thinking this is going to really help Le pen. I honestly don't know what the answer is and I think we are too far down the road now to really implement some proper change.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: July 3, 2023, 10:58:36 am »

Germany headed far right also. I don't know what the answer is as it's above my intelligence level or pay grade but Europe really needs a rethink about the direction it's is taking. The current policies are pushing people to the right and ignoring it or being in denial of it isn't an option.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #91 on: July 3, 2023, 12:24:18 pm »
Germany headed far right also. I don't know what the answer is as it's above my intelligence level or pay grade but Europe really needs a rethink about the direction it's is taking. The current policies are pushing people to the right and ignoring it or being in denial of it isn't an option.

The truth is there’s no easy options and there’s always people ready to exploit. Support the deprived, immigrant populated areas so they feel more included in the wider community and the right will kick off saying immigrants are being favoured over the indigenous population, ignore the immigrant population and they get pissed off and riot and the right wing say ‘see, look at how these people behave’.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: July 3, 2023, 02:18:32 pm »
We could take a leaf out of the French playbook in this country. Too happy to be fucked over countless times by companies and Governments. Sometimes these things need burning to the ground

We've been treated like shit being from Liverpool, the country seems to hate us, the Government most definitely does and we've even been part of a managed decline. We've never actually been 2nd class citizens in this country though and that's what those people are in France and it's no surprise that something like this has lit the touchpaper. Same thing as has happened several times in the US around police brutality. People who have spent their lives being stepped on and treated like pieces of shit in their own country, find a chance to fight back so they take it and fair play to them

You always get the opportunistic people who will thieve and rob but to call them all scumbags is disheartening, especially on this forum

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #93 on: July 3, 2023, 03:12:54 pm »
Agree with all that.

France's history with Algeria in a very short sum up. The French colonise a country in the 1800's some time, then after the 2nd world war the french need a load of cheap labour to help rebuild France. Invite a load of Algerians to do this but give them shit housing and shit pay. The algerians that came to France thought this was better than the opportunities in their own country (since the french took over) and they stay in those shit conditions without much fuss. Problems start with 2nd generation and 3rd generation algerians who are born in France and grow up in France but realise they are 2nd class citizens.
Then on top of this injustice you have large factions in France who want to get rid of the algerians as they have served their purpose. So as they can't actually ship them back, as they were born in France, they are just forgotten about and left to fester in shit hole areas.

And then an opportunity to fight back and get some "power" arises.

This is a very basic look at what has happened but you reap what you sow. It's sad that innocent people are probably the worse hit by it all but that's governments for you.

Thing with Algeria, is that even the first generation of Algerian immigrants to France were born in France, because from 1848 onwards France considered Algeria not just an overseas possession but an integral part of Metropolitan France. It's also one of the reason the Algerian War of Independence was so brutal, because France was very reluctant to give it up.

Of course the same sorts of French far-right who back then would have been in favour of waging war in Algeria, would now rather conveniently forget all that.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: July 3, 2023, 03:27:07 pm »
We could take a leaf out of the French playbook in this country. Too happy to be fucked over countless times by companies and Governments. Sometimes these things need burning to the ground

We've been treated like shit being from Liverpool, the country seems to hate us, the Government most definitely does and we've even been part of a managed decline. We've never actually been 2nd class citizens in this country though and that's what those people are in France and it's no surprise that something like this has lit the touchpaper. Same thing as has happened several times in the US around police brutality. People who have spent their lives being stepped on and treated like pieces of shit in their own country, find a chance to fight back so they take it and fair play to them

You always get the opportunistic people who will thieve and rob but to call them all scumbags is disheartening, especially on this forum

Fight back at the ballot box. There is always room for massive peaceful protest.

Burning down people's houses and businesses IS the actions of scumbags. There is no excuse.

Offline Fruity

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: July 3, 2023, 05:17:10 pm »
Thing with Algeria, is that even the first generation of Algerian immigrants to France were born in France, because from 1848 onwards France considered Algeria not just an overseas possession but an integral part of Metropolitan France.

True, I was just making the point that France actively welcomed a large influx of Algerians after the war to help rebuild the country "on the cheap". Basically exploit them and then dump them in slums and hope they stay quiet.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #96 on: July 3, 2023, 05:21:03 pm »
Can I just say that this has fuck all to do with religion or its conditioning & as for the police leaving people alone, that's easy for some to say but the stats do not back it up.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: July 3, 2023, 05:22:37 pm »
Yeah.  They looked really friendly when they were gassing and beating away Liverpool fans last year.  Perhaps they were scum too..?

Well if those LFC fans hadn't been there in the first place.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: July 3, 2023, 05:25:06 pm »

Spot on but it'll go right over the heads of the hand wringing, blame game brigade.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: July 3, 2023, 05:26:05 pm »
Well if those LFC fans hadn't been there in the first place.

Of course, you're totally right.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #100 on: July 3, 2023, 05:27:40 pm »
I talked to a French colleague of my mine about these developments and I was shocked to hear his anger. He has always been a very liberal bloke. He said overly lenient policies are destroying France from within and it's high time for a much stronger hand on things.

I changed the topic when I could.
Phuk yoo

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #101 on: July 3, 2023, 05:31:05 pm »
I talked to a French colleague of my mine about these developments and I was shocked to hear his anger. He has always been a very liberal bloke. He said overly lenient policies are destroying France from within and it's high time for a much stronger hand on things.

I changed the topic when I could.

I would be shocked at this point if Le Pen doesn't win the next election. Probably more for the 'What draws people to Johnson + Trump' thread, but when mainstream politicians continually fail to offer real solutions don't be surprised when people turn to more extreme alternatives.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #102 on: July 3, 2023, 05:46:23 pm »
I would be shocked at this point if Le Pen doesn't win the next election. Probably more for the 'What draws people to Johnson + Trump' thread, but when mainstream politicians continually fail to offer real solutions don't be surprised when people turn to more extreme alternatives.

Sigh.

Still hoping that France's glorious left wing legacy will count when it comes to the elections, but I wouldn't put money on it.
Phuk yoo

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: July 3, 2023, 05:51:47 pm »

Indeed.  An important, take home message.

Offline Elisha S

• talkin' 'bout my g-g-generation...
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #104 on: July 3, 2023, 08:22:47 pm »
Been teargassed for the crime of existing and my daughter threatened with a baton by those lovely friendly police for having the audacity to try and make sure someone wasn’t dying. Friendly , helpful chaps in my experience
Genuinely sorry if that was your experience. The police in that situation were clearly a disgrace. But police can be a disgrace everywhere. My experience is based on eighteen years of living in France as an immigrant and never having had a run in with the local cops. But then i never had a reason to have a run in with the local cops because i stuck to the law and lived my life without hurting anyone.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: July 3, 2023, 10:33:51 pm »
Genuinely sorry if that was your experience. The police in that situation were clearly a disgrace. But police can be a disgrace everywhere. My experience is based on eighteen years of living in France as an immigrant and never having had a run in with the local cops. But then i never had a reason to have a run in with the local cops because i stuck to the law and lived my life without hurting anyone.
Everyone, indeed thousands of us who went to Paris last year had no reason to have a run in with the local cops and we acted patiently and cautiously for our own safety while they equipped themselves in huge numbers with shields, batons, teargas, helmets and body armour.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #106 on: July 3, 2023, 10:40:09 pm »
Everyone, indeed thousands of us who went to Paris last year had no reason to have a run in with the local cops and we acted patiently and cautiously for our own safety while they equipped themselves in huge numbers with shields, batons, teargas, helmets and body armour.

And the heavily armoured police presence evaporated once the jackals arrived to rob and beat the Liverpool fans, after the police had softened the fans up with tear gas.

Offline Elisha S

• talkin' 'bout my g-g-generation...
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #107 on: July 3, 2023, 10:53:29 pm »
Not sure what your experience as an English soccer fan has to do with the immigrant experience in France. You are equating two totally different situations. They hate English soccer fans, yes i agree. I would stay well away from France if i was an English soccer fan because they think you are all scum and have no respect for you whatsoever. But that has no connection at all with the reasons for Muslim riots in French cities at the moment.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: July 4, 2023, 07:19:31 am »
What a sithouse of a world we live in.

Over €1 million donated to French police officer who killed teenager in ‘scandalous’ fundraiser
Total far in excess of fundraiser for victim’s family – where more than €200,000 has been donated

The online fundraiser started by Jean Messiha, an independent right-wing populist and former adviser to Marine Le Pen, has attracted donations from more than 52,000 people, while a fund set up by the policeman’s colleagues has raised around €60,000.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/france-riots-nahel-merzouk-shooting-fundraiser-b2368533.html
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: July 4, 2023, 09:02:58 am »
Not sure what your experience as an English soccer fan has to do with the immigrant experience in France. You are equating two totally different situations. They hate English soccer fans, yes i agree. I would stay well away from France if i was an English soccer fan because they think you are all scum and have no respect for you whatsoever. But that has no connection at all with the reasons for Muslim riots in French cities at the moment.

So you agree that the French police treat various groups of people differently. 
« Last Edit: July 4, 2023, 09:07:54 am by Red-Soldier »

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: July 4, 2023, 09:06:51 am »

And you're really struggling to equate that with the way that France's banlieue population is treated?

What the French police showed us last year is that they operate on preconceptions, don't care about gathering intelligence, are incompetant, are aggressive, are outright violent, have no respect for people they are supposed to be serving. And that's putting it lightly. If the banlieues population has to deal with anything even close to that on a daily basis, of course there is resentment. It is a police force with absolutely zero conception of "policing by consent" or even "serving the people". After the experiences there I wouldn't even ask a French police officer for directions.

Liverpool fans also saw the worst side of the banlieues. But that doesn't change the fact that one feeds into the other. And it's mad you can't see that link....
« Last Edit: July 4, 2023, 09:14:05 am by Indomitable_Carp »

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: July 4, 2023, 09:12:06 am »
And you're really struggling to equate that with the way that France's banlieues population is treated?

What the French police showed us last year is that they operate on preconceptions, don't care about gathering intelligence, are incompetant, are aggressive, are outright violent, have no respect for people they are supposed to be serving. And that's putting it lightly. If the banlieues population has to deal with anything even close to that on a daily basis, of course there is resentment. It is a police force with absolutely zero conception of "policing by consent" or even "serving the people".

Liverpool fans also saw the worst side of the banlieues. But that doesn't change the fact that one feeds into the other. And it's mad you can't see that link....

Perhaps they just don't want to see it or are just ignorant, or both.  From Dublin, apparently.

I`m from Dublin.

« Last Edit: July 4, 2023, 09:14:32 am by Red-Soldier »

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: July 4, 2023, 09:16:04 am »
Ah so the full immigrant-in-France experience then! Living in the banlieues too no doubt. Not even mentioning many of those in the banlieues and who deal with French police are not immigrants, but the children and grandchildren of immigrants.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: July 4, 2023, 09:20:46 am »
Ah so the full immigrant-in-France experience then! Living in the banlieues too no doubt. Not even mentioning many of those in the banlieues and who deal with French police are not immigrants, but the children and grandchildren of immigrants.

Looks like it  ;D

Pulling up John for false equivalence, then comparing their own experiences with others  ;D

Their posts smack of ignorance.
« Last Edit: July 4, 2023, 09:45:29 am by Red-Soldier »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #114 on: July 4, 2023, 09:25:07 am »
The cops are dickheads, the rioters are dickheads.  Imagine smashing up your own home to make a point, it's the stupidest shit.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #115 on: July 4, 2023, 12:06:18 pm »
The cops are dickheads, the rioters are dickheads.  Imagine smashing up your own home to make a point, it's the stupidest shit.

Shut up, looting, arson and beating people up is a legitimate form of protest. Its all right to do those things if you feel wronged. That's how it works.

Phuk yoo

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #116 on: July 4, 2023, 12:49:29 pm »
I agree. It really feels like there is an opportunity for another Hitler type figure to become prominent again. Personally I find it all pretty scary how the far right seem to be mobilising in so many western countries. What is happening in France is not going to help but I am sure a young 17 year old kid nicking some jewellery isn't thinking this is going to really help Le pen. I honestly don't know what the answer is and I think we are too far down the road now to really implement some proper change.

For decades, most countries in the West grew real per-capita GDP, whilst wealth/income inequality reduced.

Starting from the 70s in some countries, certainly accelerating in the 80's, this progression began to reverse. Owners of capital/real estate and those high up the financial services ladder hoovered up an increasing proportion of the economic endeavours of countries.

And the real levels of productive GDP (certainly per capita) have been reducing - although masked by a liberalised financial sector that has made credit cheap and easy. The roots of this has been the outsourcing of much of the manufacturing function to initially sweatshop countries in predominantly Asia. That results in a massive net transfer of wealth from West to East.

It could be argued that there's a certain justice in the West - which derived a fair bit of its wealth through the pillage of the natural resources and human workforces of countries in Asia, Africa, South America, etc in the 17th/18th/19th centuries - transferring back a big chunk of that wealth.

But the consequences in those Western countries is that a lot of the work that was once the preserve of the working classes has vanished. It's been sort of replaced with much less lucrative work - warehousing/order picking, delivery, retail and such.

The upshot is that swathes of populations in the US, UK, France and other western countries are poorer in relation to other sectors of the population (those working within selective sectors).

Traditionally (well, for much of the 20th century at least), these people would turn, politically, to the left. But 'the left', certainly the mainstream left, has adopted most/all of the right-wing economic fundamentals like low taxation (the biggest tax cuts in all western countries over the last 40 years have been for the highest earners), privatisation of public services/utilities, suppressed workers' rights, free trade to allow multinational corporations to exploit cheap labour by outsourcing manufacture, deregulation of sectors like finance, property, etc.

When the mainstream left adopt right-of-centre economic policies, the only distinguishing difference between them and mainstream right-of-centre parties tends to be social/cultural issues. When large numbers (majorities?) of white, straight either don't care about the championed social/cultural issues or even oppose them, then those people have no reason to look leftwards.

They therefore become more susceptible to the populism of the far-right, which offers simplistic 'solutions' to complex issues. Remember also that many far-right parties will include a fair bit of economically left-of-centre policy.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #117 on: July 4, 2023, 02:30:12 pm »
Riots seem to be dying off at this stage

I am flying to Paris Thursday morning for three nights

Booked ages ago as a present

Planning on staying in centre rather than suburbs
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: July 4, 2023, 02:41:44 pm »
Riots seem to be dying off at this stage

I am flying to Paris Thursday morning for three nights

Booked ages ago as a present

Planning on staying in centre rather than suburbs

You'll have a great time, communities always come together after a bit of rioting.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #119 on: July 4, 2023, 03:19:09 pm »
You'll have a great time, communities always come together after a bit of rioting.
good to know thanks
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR