Author Topic: Welcome to Liverpool, Alexis Mac Allister  (Read 218015 times)

Offline Smudge 2.0

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Welcome to Liverpool, Alexis Mac Allister
« Reply #2040 on: February 26, 2024, 09:37:41 am »
He's ridiculous isn't he.

Never understood the hype when he was at Brighton but you really appreciate how good he is when you watch him week in week out. Outstanding footballer.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #2041 on: February 26, 2024, 10:17:12 am »
I think he's one of the best midfielders in the Prem. That's how highly I rate this guy. He's brilliant.

Rodri is the only CM (not AM) that’s clearly better … it’s more of a debate with Rice than mainstream foootball chat would think .. after that maybe Guimeras has a claim but that’s about it
He’s so unflashy that he’ll never be put at that level I doubt (I mean this thread is full of posts that he can’t play the 6 while he was putting up elite defensive numbers there)

What wasn’t apparent before we signed him, unless you’d watched him a lot, was just how ridiculous his work rate is but coupled with a phenomenal ability to read the game wherever you put him in midfield.
He’s elite defensively and wins the ball an insane amount without being big or especially quick

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2042 on: February 26, 2024, 10:21:39 am »
Rodri is the only CM (not AM) that’s clearly better … it’s more of a debate with Rice than mainstream foootball chat would think .. after that maybe Guimeras has a claim but that’s about it
He’s so unflashy that he’ll never be put at that level I doubt (I mean this thread is full of posts that he can’t play the 6 while he was putting up elite defensive numbers there)

What wasn’t apparent before we signed him, unless you’d watched him a lot, was just how ridiculous his work rate is but coupled with a phenomenal ability to read the game wherever you put him in midfield.
He’s elite defensively and wins the ball an insane amount without being big or especially quick

Was anyone actually saying he CANT play the 6 or a different type of CM would be better suited to playing the holding role? I remember a lot of posts about us looking vulnerable in certain phases of play but dont remember any (may just be my memory being shit) saying he outright CANT play as a 6

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2043 on: February 26, 2024, 10:30:39 am »
Was anyone actually saying he CANT play the 6 or a different type of CM would be better suited to playing the holding role? I remember a lot of posts about us looking vulnerable in certain phases of play but dont remember any (may just be my memory being shit) saying he outright CANT play as a 6

‘Isn’t a 6’ … was basically the tag line of this thread and the transfer thread for 3 months - I should know I wasted enough time battling the divvies

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2044 on: February 26, 2024, 10:50:08 am »
‘Isn’t a 6’ … was basically the tag line of this thread and the transfer thread for 3 months - I should know I wasted enough time battling the divvies

He isn't though is he? I get you're a ridiculously huge fan and have been pouring over the stats ever since he first kicked a ball for us but does playing a position well mean that is what you are?

Can we assume Gomez is no longer a centre back then because he's played well filling in as a fullback? A huge amount of respect for MacAllister playing well as a 6 but i'm sure if you asked the player himself his answer wouldn't be 'i'm a 6'. It's great to see you supporting his performances in the role but also a little mad how adamant you are everyone who doesn't agree is a 'divvie' as if you've never got anything wrong and reminding everyone at every opportunity you got this one right, going to the lengths of talking down Endo as well when people praise him, it's like it's being taken personally if MacAllister doesn't get what you deem necessary praise

Offline BigCDump

• Legacy Fan
  • Let's Klopp Til' We Drop
« Reply #2045 on: February 26, 2024, 11:41:36 am »

Talking about battling divvies I've just seen your presence is required in the Endo thread.  ;)
Nineteen Six. Believe it now, baby!

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2046 on: February 26, 2024, 11:49:47 am »
I like how he kicked or bumped the dirty bastaxd Caicedo at least twice after he tried to hurt our player consistently. What a bargain! And he loved to join LFC!
Yes! This was great. He wasn't going to let it be a one way thing.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2047 on: February 26, 2024, 11:50:30 am »

I'd agree with most of that. I would put Rice above him for the moment but it isn't set in stone and I'm happily swayed (especially given my Liverpool bias) but think Rice's physicality helps him a great deal in the midfield. Other than that though Macca is just so well-rounded and brilliant. I was always a huge fan of his even at Brighton but he has exceeded all my expectations in terms of how good he is.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2048 on: February 26, 2024, 12:22:23 pm »
He isn't though is he? I get you're a ridiculously huge fan and have been pouring over the stats ever since he first kicked a ball for us but does playing a position well mean that is what you are?

Can we assume Gomez is no longer a centre back then because he's played well filling in as a fullback? A huge amount of respect for MacAllister playing well as a 6 but i'm sure if you asked the player himself his answer wouldn't be 'i'm a 6'. It's great to see you supporting his performances in the role but also a little mad how adamant you are everyone who doesn't agree is a 'divvie' as if you've never got anything wrong and reminding everyone at every opportunity you got this one right, going to the lengths of talking down Endo as well when people praise him, it's like it's being taken personally if MacAllister doesn't get what you deem necessary praise

Well hopefully we all agree he's a CM who can play 6 or 8 in our system. The problem on here was the majority of people were doing the 'he's not a 6 thing' while he was being an elite at the 6 position which was, y'know, a tiny bit illogical/odd

And yeah the reason I'm a 'ridiculously huge fan' is literally what he's done for us on the pitch .. for the record I was pretty 'meh' about him when we signed him because I didn't see how he'd improve us as an AM - he's just way better defensively than I thought
Fwiw I couldn't give a shit about being proved right or not - I've got too many wrong to count (I've never deleted a significant post - the receipts of my own divviness are there for everyone to enjoy).

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2049 on: February 26, 2024, 12:23:11 pm »
I think he's one of the best midfielders in the Prem. That's how highly I rate this guy. He's brilliant.
He's one of the best in the world. This is a player that's proven on the biggest stage.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2050 on: February 26, 2024, 12:24:48 pm »

We're missing your contribution to the Endo thread, Jack  ;D

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #2051 on: February 26, 2024, 05:34:37 pm »
I'd agree with most of that. I would put Rice above him for the moment but it isn't set in stone and I'm happily swayed (especially given my Liverpool bias) but think Rice's physicality helps him a great deal in the midfield. Other than that though Macca is just so well-rounded and brilliant. I was always a huge fan of his even at Brighton but he has exceeded all my expectations in terms of how good he is.
I'm not sure I would put Rice above Macca to be honest. If only because Macca knows how to win and Rice doesn't yet. I don't think much ability separates Macca from Rodri or Rice, but Rodri and Macca know how to win big matches and silverware. Rice hasn't shown that yet on the big stage.   

Offline seandundee16

• Main Stander
« Reply #2052 on: February 26, 2024, 06:24:56 pm »
Big game mentality, he was one of the best players on the pitch in a world cup final not that long ago so a League Cup final was going to be no big deal for him. He has a natural confidence and a tough streak yet he doesn't seem to have the big ego that befits his natural talent. He fits into the whole ethos of the club very well. The fact that some of the players have called him Klopps son is the highest complement you could wish for. That and also the fact that Messi asked for him to be in the Argentina side prior to the Qatar world cup tells you all you need to know. 

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #2053 on: February 26, 2024, 06:28:34 pm »
Think Mac Allister has been fine as a 6 but isn’t the ideal profile that would usually suit the Klopp system. We all remember Klopp saying that our team was very offensive minded when we signed Endo and we needed someone like him. Generally speaking that’s what every top 6 for a premier league side needs to be, someone that connects the back 4 and midfield defensively, can take away the central zones and usually slip in at centre half if one of the centre halves pushes high or steps up. There’s nothing wrong with saying Mac Allister is a good 6 whilst saying he doesn’t really have those qualities in abundance. His distribution, technical reliability, industry and general football IQ means he can do the job there really well, just like a Wijnaldum could and Henderson could, it wasn’t their best role, though, but sometimes it was what was best for the team at the time.

I see Mac Allister’s best ‘role’ as a bit like a Modric. Ideally he’d have someone more defensive behind him, you want him to have a bit of freedom to find the space, resist the press and play the right ball, I genuinely think he has the potential to be in that bracket of midfielder. However, if he has to play 6 to get Jones and Szoboszlai on the field then it’s probably the right move for the team as they both bring so much to the 8.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #2054 on: February 26, 2024, 06:43:51 pm »
Well hopefully we all agree he's a CM who can play 6 or 8 in our system. The problem on here was the majority of people were doing the 'he's not a 6 thing' while he was being an elite at the 6 position which was, y'know, a tiny bit illogical/odd

And yeah the reason I'm a 'ridiculously huge fan' is literally what he's done for us on the pitch .. for the record I was pretty 'meh' about him when we signed him because I didn't see how he'd improve us as an AM - he's just way better defensively than I thought
Fwiw I couldn't give a shit about being proved right or not - I've got too many wrong to count (I've never deleted a significant post - the receipts of my own divviness are there for everyone to enjoy).

I would say it would be fairer to say he was elite in certain aspects of playing as a single 6.

Whilst not great at others. He is never going to be elite in the air or at making recovery runs.

He is very intelligent though. For me his best position is as almost a hybrid double pivot 6/8.

Where he can use his elite level football IQ to find space and influence the game.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2055 on: February 26, 2024, 09:40:33 pm »

He’s sublime and has thus seen the vast majority reflecting that by their posts. To be honest I think you fixate on the stats and expect people who don’t pour over them constantly to follow suit which lets be honest, is never gonna happen. Stats have their use but everyday normal football fans aren’t rushing to stats sites after games which is gonna bring huge differences in opinions, which dont deserve criticism.

Nothing wrong with being a huge fan of him, he’s class, just seemed a bit excessive when anyone who dared disagree or have their own opinion was lookd down on. I think he’s way better defensively than most of us thought in all honesty, brilliant midfielder and so so versatile

I’d agree but the constant mentions of other posters when he plays well as well as the Endo stuff suggests otherwise but that’s just my own personal opinion.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 09:44:50 pm by RyanBabel19 »

Online terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
« Reply #2056 on: February 26, 2024, 10:04:58 pm »
He’s sublime and has thus seen the vast majority reflecting that by their posts. To be honest I think you fixate on the stats and expect people who don’t pour over them constantly to follow suit which lets be honest, is never gonna happen. Stats have their use but everyday normal football fans aren’t rushing to stats sites after games which is gonna bring huge differences in opinions, which dont deserve criticism.

Nothing wrong with being a huge fan of him, he’s class, just seemed a bit excessive when anyone who dared disagree or have their own opinion was lookd down on. I think he’s way better defensively than most of us thought in all honesty, brilliant midfielder and so so versatile

I’d agree but the constant mentions of other posters when he plays well as well as the Endo stuff suggests otherwise but that’s just my own personal opinion.

Pore.

Unless you’re talking about custard. In which case, as you were.

Offline jizzspunk

• Cumming soon. Or going. Depends how 'real' it gets. #livinginrealism
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2057 on: February 26, 2024, 10:28:25 pm »

I'm sure many will dumb down your narrative of an 'elite 6' in his short career at Liverpool so far, I think in this calendar year, when he has played 6, his performances were noticeably a stand out in the team, and a improvement on say August to December, when he was playing his part in a team finding their way, to suggest he was elite in the period mentioned is a stretch, but he was contributing

You run with this same shit with Keita, when your evaluation of him was being pushed in our faces time & time over and others couldn't see this eliteness that you were ramming down peoples throats, until the realization stared you in the face and you disappeared on Keita watch

Keep it real with Macca eh 🙄

according to 24/7 I will be scrambling round for tickets on the exchange all season #STH #19awayclub

Offline kop306

• Kopite
« Reply #2058 on: February 26, 2024, 10:47:24 pm »
my prediction for liverpool player of the year is macca or virg

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #2059 on: February 27, 2024, 04:33:03 am »
Another thing he excels at, which is an extension or function of his game/tactical intelligence, is how well he dovetails with his central midfield partners. From Enzo in national colours to Caicedo in Brighton blue to Endo now, forming very effective double pivots.

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2060 on: February 27, 2024, 04:50:24 am »
Another thing he excels at, which is an extension or function of his game/tactical intelligence, is how well he dovetails with his central midfield partners. From Enzo in national colours to Caicedo in Brighton blue to Endo now, forming very effective double pivots.

Absolutely. Him and Endo were really complimenting each other.

He's the best midfielder in the league after Rodri, 100%. Doesn't look as athletic as Rice but his decision making is miles ahead. Rice always needs a second or two to take a decision. Macca knows where the pass will go before he gets the ball. Kind of like one of our former midfielder/future manager :)
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2061 on: February 27, 2024, 06:39:41 am »
How odd to see such mild criticism of other posters jumped on so vociferously. Normally it’s up to the hall monitors to mention this. In reality the lads been remarkably restrained given he was effectively fighting a one man rearguard action defending Mac from claims that he’s not a 6 or wasn’t very good for us earlier in the season. Think you’ve touched a nerve jack.

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2062 on: February 27, 2024, 09:27:16 am »
How odd to see such mild criticism of other posters jumped on so vociferously. Normally it’s up to the hall monitors to mention this. In reality the lads been remarkably restrained given he was effectively fighting a one man rearguard action defending Mac from claims that he’s not a 6 or wasn’t very good for us earlier in the season. Think you’ve touched a nerve jack.

;D

I'm not sure anyone is too wound up about it, but to play devil's advocate here, I think a lot of the talk about him not being a 6 was based on a desire to see his talents deployed a bit further up. That's as opposed to it being a criticism of his performances as the 6. Obviously there are exceptions and I'm sure there are some posts that do criticise, particularly after disappointing results, but he's generally been brilliant wherever he's played.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2063 on: February 27, 2024, 09:57:38 am »
;D

I'm not sure anyone is too wound up about it, but to play devil's advocate here, I think a lot of the talk about him not being a 6 was based on a desire to see his talents deployed a bit further up. That's as opposed to it being a criticism of his performances as the 6. Obviously there are exceptions and I'm sure there are some posts that do criticise, particularly after disappointing results, but he's generally been brilliant wherever he's played.

Oh yeah I’m with you re playing at 8. I think that’s his best position in that it’s the place he does ‘a bit of everything’ and it’s the ability to do ‘a bit of everything’ which really marks him out. He could play 6 or 10 and be very, very good. That’s pretty unusual.  That said it’s interesting how often people didn’t have him in first choice 11s (from 8) before the season/ as the season started. I suspect that as a fanbase we’ve been broadly guilty of underestimating him.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 09:59:32 am by Knight »

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2064 on: February 28, 2024, 07:22:02 am »
Love him. Outstanding player.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2065 on: February 28, 2024, 10:40:24 pm »
A little under the radar today but Mac and Danns coming on as subs took the game away from Southampton. Mac instrumental in helping us wrested control of midfield. Gomez and Elliott became more influential
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline kop306

• Kopite
« Reply #2066 on: February 28, 2024, 10:42:36 pm »
A little under the radar today but Mac and Danns coming on as subs took the game away from Southampton. Mac instrumental in helping us wrested control of midfield. Gomez and Elliott became more influential

macca our virg will get our player of the season

jota and salah had to many injuries

so defence and midfield the only 2 areas in contention

Offline Buster Gonad

• Kopite
« Reply #2067 on: February 28, 2024, 10:43:43 pm »

Text my mate to say the best midfielder in the league is coming on and Danns has great movement.  Well Danns has more than movement  and I stick to the first part. This guy is a Thiago,Milner  hybrid.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2068 on: February 28, 2024, 10:48:33 pm »
Changed the game, really. So much more balance and composure after he came on.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #2069 on: February 28, 2024, 11:56:02 pm »
Changed the game, really. So much more balance and composure after he came on.

Enjoyed watching Southampton standing off him, because they knew there was no point pressing him...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2070 on: February 29, 2024, 12:47:25 am »
Don't think I've been in this thread before. Was delighted we signed him. Was arguing with heels I think over him before he came in. This fella makes teams better. Him and Endo means trophies. We need a soild base where players fight for the yards. They do this and distribute the ball in the right way.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2071 on: February 29, 2024, 07:10:34 am »
Endo unlocks the full potential of Mac Allister.
Believer

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2072 on: February 29, 2024, 04:46:42 pm »
"I note a lot of difference in how they [Liverpool fans] support here and the passion they have for their team and the city, there is nothing like it in England. That's why I always compared it to Boca. On that matter, with fans and passion they are very similar clubs."

[@DSports]

Offline ValiantInstance

• Main Stander
« Reply #2073 on: February 29, 2024, 05:26:46 pm »
I've been on board with this signing since he was at Brighton. Brilliant little player, took him a little time to find a rhythm with the rest of the team but now he's indispensible.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2074 on: March 2, 2024, 05:00:11 pm »
Everyone else is panicking and snatching at things and he has the coolest head on the pitch at the end there. Nobody else I would've wanted it to fall to.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2075 on: March 2, 2024, 05:00:51 pm »
Out-fucking-rageous

One of the best pieces of play you will see this season. Ice in his veins

To pull that out the bag in the last seconds on your fucking weak foot

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #2076 on: March 2, 2024, 05:01:31 pm »
Get in there you big brained, beautiful bastard.
AHA!

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2077 on: March 2, 2024, 05:01:48 pm »
1 man midfield again today, immense.

Offline PEG2K

• Could be Stan Boardman. Hates the Germans.
  • Kopite
« Reply #2078 on: March 2, 2024, 05:01:56 pm »
That was pure magic honestly. Messi-esque.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #2079 on: March 2, 2024, 05:02:21 pm »
He's like some insane hybrid of Xabi and Masch
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."