Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - 2023 (FSG posts = get muted)  (Read 3240038 times)

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - 2023 (FSG posts = get muted) - No Mbappé
« Reply #79800 on: May 5, 2024, 08:45:34 pm »
If we are buying players with release clauses then just get Olise.
Kudus is better imo. More powerful like bit like Mane.
Olise brillant but not as powerful we need more pace & power in the squad

Online Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79801 on: May 5, 2024, 08:47:07 pm »
Why cant we go for those players? We should have lots of cash to spend. Same for Olise as well.

Either way we are starting to look like a side further away from City and Arsenal. We need to up the quality levels in this squad in nearly every position.

Because we're already pretty well stocked in attack so probably aren't going to spend £80m+ on another wide forward? Maybe if we sold someone.

Honestly, I'm not even convinced Leao or Kvaratskhelia are even that good, for the type of fee it would require - standing out in the Italian league is one thing (see: Romelu Lukaku) but whenever I've watched them in Europe I've not been the least bit impressed. Ditto Osimhen. I think they'd both be pretty big risks at the type of fee you're talking about if I'm honest.

Olise would be do-able for us, but he's not going to come here if he thinks he's going to spend half the season sat behind Salah, so I think that's a non-starter straight off the bat.

As I say, I don't think the market is great this summer. I don't disagree, we need some genuinely top quality injections in every area of the pitch but a lot of the most hyped names just don't particularly stand out to me. Half the CB targets are seemingly playing Portuguese football, there aren't any obvious DM targets and the forward market seems to be a bit meh aside from a handful of names that are going to cost insane fees.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79802 on: May 5, 2024, 08:47:25 pm »
Kudus completed 14 take ons ve chelsea.
we need a player who can beat a man.
Has a release clause good injury record. No brainer imo
Moyes is holding him back.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79803 on: May 5, 2024, 08:52:07 pm »

Between the two, I would probably go for Kudus, even though I do like Olise, but I am a bit worried about his injuries. And I would take Bakayoko over both ...

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #79804 on: May 5, 2024, 08:53:01 pm »
I started watching the Feyenoord games regularly over the past few weeks, when it became obvious that Slot is the frontrunner to succeed Jurgen. I was curious to see how he uses his team. I am yet to see the 4-2-3-1 many people are talking about. Even in the 6-0 demolition of Ajax, it was a fluid 4-3-3, that only sometimes resembles a 4-2-4 in the attacking phase, but never the classic 4-2-3-1 that Rafa used so well for us, and Jurgen for Dortmund.

I see a lot of similarities between Klopp's and Slot's setup, but also some differences. I am genuinely excited to see how Slot will use all the talent that is already at LFC. Of course, there will also be additions, but I am not expecting too many.

On a side note, Feyenoord fans are singing Slot's name, and he seems to have a great connection with them. The 5-0 they have at the moment is certainly helping the atmosphere ...

Edit: And now they are singing YNWA  ;D
Couldn’t find the match on the tv. Thanks for the update!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #79805 on: May 5, 2024, 08:53:10 pm »
Is it now a no-go to recruit from the lower leagues in this country? We as a club did it well historically, and Rogers at Villa and Wharton and Eze at Palace are surely good examples of there still being unpolished gems there?

You do get some gems but they're rare. Missed the boat with Adam Wharton this year or Jarrod Bowen a few years ago at Hull. I think Wharton chose Palace so he'd play every week though rather be sat on the bench at a bigger club.

Said when we were tentatively linked with him last summer that Dewsbury Hall would be a decent squad player for us to add more midfield legs. Certainly not worth what it'd cost now though.

Get Paul Mullin in!
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79806 on: May 5, 2024, 09:07:18 pm »

There is a world of difference in their creativity and goal scoring. Honestly, its not even close.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79807 on: May 5, 2024, 09:09:12 pm »
Because we're already pretty well stocked in attack so probably aren't going to spend £80m+ on another wide forward? Maybe if we sold someone.

Honestly, I'm not even convinced Leao or Kvaratskhelia are even that good, for the type of fee it would require - standing out in the Italian league is one thing (see: Romelu Lukaku) but whenever I've watched them in Europe I've not been the least bit impressed. Ditto Osimhen. I think they'd both be pretty big risks at the type of fee you're talking about if I'm honest.

Olise would be do-able for us, but he's not going to come here if he thinks he's going to spend half the season sat behind Salah, so I think that's a non-starter straight off the bat.

As I say, I don't think the market is great this summer. I don't disagree, we need some genuinely top quality injections in every area of the pitch but a lot of the most hyped names just don't particularly stand out to me. Half the CB targets are seemingly playing Portuguese football, there aren't any obvious DM targets and the forward market seems to be a bit meh aside from a handful of names that are going to cost insane fees.

Sorry but thats just an excuse. I am not having that in world football literally every position is short of quality that we can buy. Anyway we have a gap that we need to make up if we are serious about winning a league and i expect us to go out there and make it happen.

Personally i would sell one of our attackers or even two and look to recruit a couple, sell a midfielder and look to recruit there and buy a centreback regardless.
« Last Edit: May 5, 2024, 09:11:20 pm by killer-heels »

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79808 on: May 5, 2024, 09:10:28 pm »
Mac is on the Bakayoko train huh? Welcome aboard mate.  ;D

Offline PaleBlueDot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #79809 on: May 5, 2024, 09:11:37 pm »
There is a world of difference in their creativity and goal scoring. Honestly, its not even close.

Disagree with that. Olise is definitely technically better but Kudus could equal his end product in a better team. More pace more 1v1 ability. Most importantly availability.

Look at this from today, particularly his ability to consistently win duels, sums him up as a player;

« Last Edit: May 5, 2024, 09:14:30 pm by PaleBlueDot »

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79810 on: May 5, 2024, 09:13:20 pm »
Disagree with that. Olise is definitely technically better but Kudus could equal his end product in a better team. More pace more 1v1 ability.

Look at this from today, sums him up as a player;

Olise has better end product and he was in a Hodgson team. If Kudus’ end product is getting better coming to us, then you have to apply that same logic to Olise.

Honestly, its not even close the ability and end product between the two.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79811 on: May 5, 2024, 09:16:17 pm »
Disagree with that. Olise is definitely technically better but Kudus could equal his end product in a better team. More pace more 1v1 ability. Most importantly availability.

Look at this from today, particularly his ability to consistently win duels, sums him up as a player;

Kudus plays for a better team than Olise though.

Offline PaleBlueDot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #79812 on: May 5, 2024, 09:16:30 pm »
Olise has better end product and he was in a Hodgson team. If Kudus’ end product is getting better coming to us, then you have to apply that same logic to Olise.

Honestly, its not even close the ability and end product between the two.

Thinking more in terms of a Slot team. Pressing, winning duels. I don't see Olise being as good as Kudus in that regard. Offensively with the superior technique I'd back Olise but then again Kudus would have a lot more pace.

I don't doubt Olise's ability and he probably has a higher ceiling. I'd be over the moon if we signed him. I am just not discounting how good Kudus can be for us. The conversation of who between the two isn't clear cut.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79813 on: May 5, 2024, 09:18:13 pm »

I'd try and stick with the Premier League this summer for signings (obviously properly scouted), fees shouldn't be as insane in general given FFP panic, but the money has to be there this summer.

If the right player becomes available elsewhere then fine but it's a lot more of a lottery as to whether a player can adapt to the league and last the pace over a season. We knew Mac Allister could.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79814 on: May 5, 2024, 09:20:23 pm »
Mac is on the Bakayoko train huh? Welcome aboard mate.  ;D

Samie, I've been endorsing him for some time. Still pretty raw, but his potential is frightening. I can see him developing into a proper successor for Salah ...

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79815 on: May 5, 2024, 09:24:19 pm »
Thinking more in terms of a Slot team. Pressing, winning duels. I don't see Olise being as good as Kudus in that regard. Offensively with the superior technique I'd back Olise but then again Kudus would have a lot more pace.

I don't doubt Olise's ability and he probably has a higher ceiling. I'd be over the moon if we signed him. I am just not discounting how good Kudus can be for us. The conversation of who between the two isn't clear cut.

Olise is just as good as Kudus when it comes to pressing. The only thing Kudus has on Olise is he is a bit quicker and a better injury record this season. In all other departments, Olise is much superior.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #79816 on: May 5, 2024, 09:27:13 pm »

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
    • X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd
« Reply #79817 on: May 5, 2024, 09:38:21 pm »
Sorry but thats just an excuse. I am not having that in world football literally every position is short of quality that we can buy. Anyway we have a gap that we need to make up if we are serious about winning a league and i expect us to go out there and make it happen.

Personally i would sell one of our attackers or even two and look to recruit a couple, sell a midfielder and look to recruit there and buy a centreback regardless.

I don’t get the need for such wholesale changes. We have a young squad in their first full season together as a unit about to get a low 80 point finish. That’s a great initial foundation to build on. I’d be surprised if we sell any member of the first team squad, apart from perhaps Tsimikas, and even that is far from a given. I do see Matip, Thiago and Adrian leaving to be free agents, although again I think Matip may stay and Thiago’s future depends on his predicted availability, and contract sacrifices on his part.

We’ve got plenty of squad room for next year and more games at the highest level, so I think we buy 2-3 players with 2-3 released and some players recalled / promoted to the first team to cover. I think someone from our academy maybe Jaros or Mrozek cover Adrian, Van den berg covers Matip and we sign 3 players, one at each level of the pitch to add cover. That’s the extent of the business we need to progress, in my opinion. It’ll mean a deeper squad, more quality options and more rotation keeping us fresher with more quality from the signings and the progression the younger players will get.
"Believe you are the best, then make sure that you are." - Shankly

X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd - https://x.com/TheLiverNerd

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79818 on: May 5, 2024, 09:39:18 pm »
I don’t get the need for such wholesale changes. We have a young squad in their first full season together as a unit about to get a low 80 point finish. That’s a great initial foundation to build on. I’d be surprised if we sell any member of the first team squad, apart from perhaps Tsimikas, and even that is far from a given. I do see Matip, Thiago and Adrian leaving to be free agents, although again I think Matip may stay and Thiago’s future depends on his predicted availability, and contract sacrifices on his part.

We’ve got plenty of squad room for next year and more games at the highest level, so I think we buy 2-3 players with 2-3 released and some players recalled / promoted to the first team to cover. I think someone from our academy maybe Jaros or Mrozek cover Adrian, Van den berg covers Matip and we sign 3 players, one at each level of the pitch to add cover. That’s the extent of the business we need to progress, in my opinion. It’ll mean a deeper squad, more quality options and more rotation keeping us fresher with more quality from the signings and the progression the younger players will get.

Getting 3 or 4 isnt wholesale changes.

Online Haggis36

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79819 on: May 5, 2024, 09:39:31 pm »

But you seem to want us to sign an expensive, bigger name player - which ones do you think are affordable, gettable and an obvious slam dunk in terms of how they'd fit into our team? Like I'm happy to discuss positions and players, I just don't think there are as many obvious targets as there was, for example, last summer.

In attack, I think Olise is maybe the only one I can think of and as I say I doubt he's going to come here to sit on the bench half the season and who knows if his injury problems this season are a one-off. I'm not sold on Kudus at all - I think he's one who looks great but delivers very little. Musiala is class but would be enormously expensive and have pretty much every team in for him if he was available, ditto Wirtz - I don't think either are realistic targets. Players like Bakayoko and Summerville look talented but come with caveats (output in the case of the former, current league in the case of the latter). Players like Leao and Kvaratskhelia look enormously overpriced to me and I'd be incredibly wary of signing an attacker from Serie A for that sort of money.

In midfield, Gumairaes is great but we're not going to pay his release clause and there's strong murmurs City/Arsenal are in for him. I'm also not sure he's the sort of profile we need - we're lacking an athletic ball-winner more than anything else. I can't really think of a single other top-level midfielder, or one on the cusp of it that is realistic for us. Players like Wieffer, Koopemeiners, etc all look more like Europa League level players to me personally.

In defence, players like Inacio and Diomande might be good but they're playing in the Portuguese league so it's hard to tell. I've seen nothing of Willian Pacho. I wonder if we'd revisit Colwill in light of Chelsea's finances, but they'd want stupid money. I'd like to see us target a LB, and Ait Nouri seems an obvious link that would probably be affordable. I've not seen loads of Maatsen but he looks miles better going forward than he does back the way, and I think we'd like someone a bit more balanced.

I'm just not seeing a glut of obvious targets - I think pretty much every name comes with pretty meaty caveats whether its ability, availability, level of current league, value for money, etc. 

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79820 on: May 5, 2024, 09:48:48 pm »
Olise is just as good as Kudus when it comes to pressing. The only thing Kudus has on Olise is he is a bit quicker and a better injury record this season. In all other departments, Olise is much superior.

I thought Olise had United or Chelsea at 300k+ a week written all over him but would United be able to do that if they're not in Europe (on top of the fee) and he does seem to have some smarts about him to turn down Chelsea last summer and stay at Palace with a new deal (while having the release clause).

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79821 on: May 5, 2024, 09:53:16 pm »
I thought Olise had United or Chelsea at 300k+ a week written all over him but would United be able to do that if they're not in Europe (on top of the fee) and he does seem to have some smarts about him to turn down Chelsea last summer and stay at Palace with a new deal (while having the release clause).
United can do it. They'll probably finish 8th and not be subject to UEFA's more restrictive rules.

They can spend  (some players on huge contracts are leaving) but attracting players will be the issue.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79822 on: May 5, 2024, 09:54:03 pm »

No, 2-3 is standard. 4 or 5+ is when your recruitment hasn't been up to scratch in previous years or you're left playing catch up.

While that is the case a bit with us, we have enough young talent to not need to go mad. The likes of Bradley and Quansah coming through saves us a lot of money.  We still need to replace Matip at the back, replace Fabinho properly and sign another forward where we haven't quite got the right blend of players in the last couple of years.

Van Der Berg, Morton and Carvalho potential curveballs coming back from loan as well, Slot might give them a chance to impress pre-season.

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79823 on: May 5, 2024, 10:00:22 pm »

It wasn’t the buying I was saying was dramatic. You suggested selling 3 on top of I assume releasing 3. That’s a dramatic change.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79824 on: May 5, 2024, 10:02:35 pm »
Thanks for getting the point of the post!  :P

It wasn’t the buying I was saying was dramatic. You suggested selling 3 on top of I assume releasing 3. That’s a dramatic change.

We have 8 midfielders for three positions and 5 forwards, if we get new players we need to make space for them in the squad.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79825 on: May 5, 2024, 10:05:14 pm »
We have 8 midfielders for three positions and 5 forwards, if we get new players we need to make space for them in the squad.

Matip leaving is the space for a CB. Thiago leaving is the space for a midfielder. Probably need to sell one of Diaz/Darwin/Salah to make space for a forward but we did have Diaz, Salah, Mane, Jota and Firmino along with Origi and Minamino for half of 21/22.

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79826 on: May 5, 2024, 10:08:34 pm »

We’ve got room in our squad allocation to sign 3 without selling. I’d use the space and rotate more. I honestly wouldn’t be looking to sign people at the expense of selling members of the current squad. Use the space afforded to you by the 25 man squad system. We’ll only have 14 foreign players for 17 spots if we release Thiago, Matip and Adrian. Van den berg would be home grown I believe as would using Jaros for Adrian’s slot. That means you could grow the squad by 3 to keep ourselves fresher and cover for injuries more with less issues later down the line when replacing our older players too.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79827 on: May 5, 2024, 10:10:04 pm »
Aren't some of the 8 midfielders U21s?

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79828 on: May 5, 2024, 10:11:19 pm »

Baj, Elliott and Clark are. Gravenberch isn’t from next year, but we didn’t use up the full quota this year.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79829 on: May 5, 2024, 10:11:26 pm »
The excuse to not sign a midfielder in 2022 was we already had 8. We have the squad space.

We need a high quality DM and Mac has been overplayed when we'd have looked to rotate him more with Thiago who is going.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79830 on: May 5, 2024, 10:12:21 pm »

Thats not the point, Elliott and Bajetic may be that age but they are genuine first team players.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79831 on: May 5, 2024, 10:13:37 pm »
The excuse to not sign a midfielder in 2022 was we already had 8. We have the squad space.

We need a high quality DM and Mac has been overplayed when we'd have looked to rotate him more with Thiago who is going.

At the time we said 8 wasnt enough because a lot of them were injury prone. Bar Thiago and maybe Bajetic, the current crop have proven to be far more durable.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79832 on: May 5, 2024, 10:15:13 pm »
Thats not the point, Elliott and Bajetic may be that age but they are genuine first team players.
Baj is a kid that should be a rotation option at best next season (this year in the Europa would have been perfect but we'll be playing more difficult opponents in the CL next season).

Elliott may be ready to start regularly. Looking at our team, we need more in there and it's not about numbers.  Our midfield is pedestrian and that's why partly why we concede so many big chances.

Online DiggerJohn

• Kopite
  • Up the Scouser Republic
« Reply #79833 on: May 5, 2024, 10:23:22 pm »
But you seem to want us to sign an expensive, bigger name player - which ones do you think are affordable, gettable and an obvious slam dunk in terms of how they'd fit into our team? Like I'm happy to discuss positions and players, I just don't think there are as many obvious targets as there was, for example, last summer.

In attack, I think Olise is maybe the only one I can think of and as I say I doubt he's going to come here to sit on the bench half the season and who knows if his injury problems this season are a one-off. I'm not sold on Kudus at all - I think he's one who looks great but delivers very little. Musiala is class but would be enormously expensive and have pretty much every team in for him if he was available, ditto Wirtz - I don't think either are realistic targets. Players like Bakayoko and Summerville look talented but come with caveats (output in the case of the former, current league in the case of the latter). Players like Leao and Kvaratskhelia look enormously overpriced to me and I'd be incredibly wary of signing an attacker from Serie A for that sort of money.

In midfield, Gumairaes is great but we're not going to pay his release clause and there's strong murmurs City/Arsenal are in for him. I'm also not sure he's the sort of profile we need - we're lacking an athletic ball-winner more than anything else. I can't really think of a single other top-level midfielder, or one on the cusp of it that is realistic for us. Players like Wieffer, Koopemeiners, etc all look more like Europa League level players to me personally.

In defence, players like Inacio and Diomande might be good but they're playing in the Portuguese league so it's hard to tell. I've seen nothing of Willian Pacho. I wonder if we'd revisit Colwill in light of Chelsea's finances, but they'd want stupid money. I'd like to see us target a LB, and Ait Nouri seems an obvious link that would probably be affordable. I've not seen loads of Maatsen but he looks miles better going forward than he does back the way, and I think we'd like someone a bit more balanced.

I'm just not seeing a glut of obvious targets - I think pretty much every name comes with pretty meaty caveats whether its ability, availability, level of current league, value for money, etc.

Glad you aren't  in charge of transfers you would sign no one. No player is prefect

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79834 on: May 5, 2024, 10:25:52 pm »

Crikey, you have literally gone through loads of quality players and made up a reason why we cant get any of them. So what do you want, players who are doing the business in top leagues but their clubs will price them cheap for us to sign?

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79835 on: May 5, 2024, 10:35:18 pm »
With us back in the CL, we can afford most of the players out there, apart from maybe 5-10 of them. Of course, that doesn't means we will spend a fortune on a single player. But, seeing how close we came to winning the league this season with the Liverpool 2.0 team, and knowing how Edwards operates, I won't be surprised if he concentrates the available funds on a couple of top quality players who can help us make that final push. Lets not forget that our squad is already pretty strong ...

Depth chart of the players we have under contract next season:

Diaz - Nunez - Salah
Carvalho - Gakpo - Jota
Musialowski - Koumas - Danns - Gordon - Doak

Jones - Mac Allister - Szoboszlai
Gravenberch - Endo - Elliott
Clark - Bajcetic - Morton - McConnell

Robertson - Van Dijk - Konate - TAA
Tsimikas - Quansah - Gomez - Bradley
Beck - Scanlon - Chambers - Van den Berg - Ramsay
Williams - Phillips

Alisson
Kelleher
Davies - Pitaluga - Jaros - Mrozek

Online Haggis36

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79836 on: May 5, 2024, 10:43:51 pm »
Crikey, you have literally gone through loads of quality players and made up a reason why we cant get any of them. So what do you want, players who are doing the business in top leagues but their clubs will price them cheap for us to sign?

I'm not "making up" reasons - feel free to actually engage/disagree with any of the points? If I could set out my "dream" summer? It'd be something like Olise/Musiala, a DM and a CB - I don't know who the latter two players are because honestly nobody stands out and every single player linked is a risk/could end up being shite in a bigger league. Every summer hyped CBs from other leagues come to the PL for big fees, and very few have consistently shown to be top quality - the likes of Badiashile, Disasi, Van de Ven, Romero, Martinez, all pretty meh. Maybe we can unearth another Konate. I can't think of a single proven DM that would suit us, so we're either going to have to hope Bajcetic kicks on, take a punt on a youngster with potential or continue to play without one.

I'd love us to sign Olise and/or Musiala, but I don't think either is realistic - Olise for reasons I've already mentioned, Musiala because in the unlikely event he'd be available you're probably talking a superclub bidding war and £100m fee, and that's just not something we ever get involved in.

Realistically, I think we're probably looking at Summerville, Ait Nouri, and someone like Diomande/Pacho. Personally don't think that elevates us to the next level, but it is a realistic and fairly likely window. I think it will be those levels of player, to be honest. A big sale could change things, but that doesn't look on the cards really.

Glad you aren't  in charge of transfers you would sign no one. No player is prefect

I'm actually pretty consistently one of the biggest advocates of signing players, every single window. Hell in the past I've been lumped into the "wants a new shiny toy" category of poster, and I'd like to see us sign 3 or 4 actual first team options this summer, regardless of exits. I just don't know who those players are, because I genuinely don't see many gettable, top-quality players right now.

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #79837 on: May 5, 2024, 11:09:50 pm »
The only position that worries me this summer is the 6. I think we need close to a perfect option for that role and there isn’t one.

There’s always an abundance of emerging wide forwards/wingers and there’s plenty of talented centre backs out there that shouldn’t make replacing Matip too difficult. I don’t worry about needing to know what options are out there for those positions. Historically we’ve always had ‘a list’ of wide forwards and missing out on top targets has never been an issue. The 6 position’s a little bit different, if there was an emerging name out there - like Tchouameni in 2022 - we’d all know about them. There simply isn’t another Rice or even a Caicedo or Lavia.

We might have to change our preferred profile, at least for the next 12 months. If we do, arguably the best options might end up coming from Portugal, with Hjulmand, Florentino Luis, Alan Varela and Joao Neves all probably on the wish lists of some of the big clubs this summer, us included.  Not sure any of them apart from Luis fit the usual profile of what we want, and I’m unsure if Luis is truly of the level required, so maybe change is necessary. Would Zubimendi be an option?

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79838 on: May 5, 2024, 11:12:27 pm »
On a side note, I've just noticed that players like David, Geertruida and Fofana will have only 12 months left on their contracts in the summer, and could be available on a cut price ...

Offline KC7

• Main Stander
« Reply #79839 on: May 5, 2024, 11:19:16 pm »

Slot is big on stocking up in wingers though. Starting with two and then bringing more on as the game progresses. He sees them as difference makers. He is all about narrowing the midfield apparently so as then to provide plenty of space for the wide players to run.

I can see us bringing in one speedster. Doak he will love also as hes another one vs one specialist.

I'm going to revise what I said about Endo as he would be a good backup, and saying otherwise was overly harsh. His passing as we saw again today is excellent, his technical ability has never been in doubt, it's the energy and mobility thats been the issue for what is needed in the 6. A week's rest did him the world of good as he was at it today. If he was eight years younger, 23 and not 31 (I assume he had plenty of legs then) there probably wouldn't be any issue with him. I suppose it was too much to expect a Ji Sung Park type energizer bunny at his age.
« Last Edit: May 5, 2024, 11:22:11 pm by KC7 »