Author Topic: Leeds v Liverpool, 17 April 2023: Match Preview  (Read 10422 times)

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Leeds v Liverpool, 17 April 2023: Match Preview
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2023, 02:31:22 pm »
The only guarantee is even less protection and parity from PGMOL than we usually get, if that's even possible?

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2023, 03:11:55 pm »
Linesman has now been confirmed for the match...

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2023, 03:12:51 pm »
I'm perfectly fine with a coked up linesman cutting promos on the players as they're running past.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2023, 11:14:22 pm »
Post embargo presser...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qY_l1YpOljo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qY_l1YpOljo</a>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY_l1YpOljo
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline shank94

• Currently at minus 10 and falling...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2023, 10:44:35 pm »
Easy 4-0 win
Everyone knows it's Shanks, Shank is part of my name.

Offline Rosario

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2023, 11:04:23 pm »
Would be good to see us give Nunez a decent run upfront for the final stretch of the season. We don’t really have much left to play for and even if we fix the midfield in the summer feels like him taking a leap forward is imperative to any success we might have next season.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2023, 12:34:35 am »
Forward line should be strong

Allison
Alexander Arnold, Van Dijk, Roberston
                         Thiago

Salah, Jota, Firmino. Nunez, Gakpo. Diaz

Who needs a midfield, we've managed without one for weeks
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2023, 02:19:33 am »
Weeks ?  ;D
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline StL-Dono

• Kopite
  • thank you Ian Rush
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2023, 03:54:39 am »
Who feels pretty confident of three points here? 
(Three points for US I mean....)

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2023, 05:12:03 am »
Motivation being the key factor here I think. Leeds will be up for it and they are desperate for a win. What are we desperate for? Considering the results sans the Arsenal game seemingly not much other than the season to end.

I'd like to think this should be a straightforward win but I'm expecting a point, dreading that we get nothing and would be amazed if we get all 3.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2023, 06:35:53 am »
Motivation being the key factor here I think. Leeds will be up for it and they are desperate for a win. What are we desperate for? Considering the results sans the Arsenal game seemingly not much other than the season to end.

I'd like to think this should be a straightforward win but I'm expecting a point, dreading that we get nothing and would be amazed if we get all 3.
Bellingham? I know, I know...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2023, 06:36:44 am »
Forward line should be strong

Allison
Alexander Arnold, Van Dijk, Roberston
                         Thiago

Salah, Jota, Firmino. Nunez, Gakpo. Diaz

Who needs a midfield, we've managed without one for weeks

You may have a point with Alisson leading the line...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2023, 08:39:48 am »
Would be dream land to score an away goal (that's not in a 4-1 defeat!), even Europa spot is looking pretty terrible now if we fail to win here. On the other hand go on a good run and you'd say 5th is possible which wouldn't be the worst season ever. Get it done!!!

Online redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2023, 12:20:09 pm »
Leeds will obviously be desperate for points tonight but I’m hoping Klopp and his coaches remind the squad that Leeds Utd are the only team to beat us at Anfield in the PL this season and we should have maximum effort to prevent them doing the double over us.

In fact Klopp has a proud record that no team has completed the league double over us while he has been manager in both home and away games. We lost to Manu and West Ham home and away in the first season of his 8 campaigns but the first early season losses were before he arrived. He was manager for the loss in London and home to Manu.

Klopp and his squad still have two home fixtures ahead against Forest and Brentford where we need to avenge away defeats and avoid the double. Even when we lost six home matches on the spin during Covid we avoided the double loss thanks to our excellent form before Christmas when we were top of the league.

They can win tonight if the home form shown against Arsenal and Manu is repeated but we haven’t shown the same level on our travels in the league. Leeds defence looks suspect but can we take advantage and I wonder if Salah is still on for penalties?
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Online red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2023, 12:29:22 pm »

;D

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2023, 12:29:32 pm »
In terms of Top 4, I think tonight is must win.

I think if we can get 3 wins on the bounce versus Leeds, Forest and WHU then I'd suspect we'll be about 6 points behind 4th going into the last 5 games. That is still something to play for. Personally I don;t see us winning the next 3 on the bounce but if we did I think it would make the last 5 games potentially interesting.

If we lose or draw any of the next 3 games then I think the last 5 or 6 games can be used to experiment for next season. Anyone who isn't going to be part of the squad next season shouldn't be getting into a match day squad on a regular basis. If we want to play Nunez CF next season then let him have a run of games there. If Klopp wants to play TAA in midfield next season, then put him there for a run of 5 games. If there are any young players we want to blood, them get them in the match day squad.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2023, 01:03:43 pm »
In terms of Top 4, I think tonight is must win.

I think if we can get 3 wins on the bounce versus Leeds, Forest and WHU then I'd suspect we'll be about 6 points behind 4th going into the last 5 games. That is still something to play for. Personally I don;t see us winning the next 3 on the bounce but if we did I think it would make the last 5 games potentially interesting.

If we lose or draw any of the next 3 games then I think the last 5 or 6 games can be used to experiment for next season. Anyone who isn't going to be part of the squad next season shouldn't be getting into a match day squad on a regular basis. If we want to play Nunez CF next season then let him have a run of games there. If Klopp wants to play TAA in midfield next season, then put him there for a run of 5 games. If there are any young players we want to blood, them get them in the match day squad.

Too many teams would need to drop a lot of points. It’s not very realistic at this point. May as well play to win as many games as possible for a little longer though.

Online Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2023, 01:18:38 pm »
Too many teams would need to drop a lot of points. It’s not very realistic at this point. May as well play to win as many games as possible for a little longer though.

I agree its unlikely but this season has been so topsy turvy outside the top 2, you just never know.  Results this weekend showed that.

We've got a lot to play for, as unlikely as top 4 may seem.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2023, 01:55:39 pm »

I agree it's highly unlikely at this point. Based on our away from it feels unrealistic to now win the 4 remaining games away from home (after winning 3 in 15 so far).

However, if we could just win the next 3 (including 2 away) I think we have a chance. We'd have 4 out of 6 games remaining at home at that point. The challenge becomes a little easier.

My assumption here is that 9 wins (71 points) or 8 wins and a draw (69 points) gets us 4th. To be fair I'd settle for 65 points at this point and probably a Europa League place.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2023, 02:02:27 pm »
Our 4 remaining away games are Leeds, West Ham, Leicester and Southampton. The 2 worst sides in the division and 2 sides barely any better than them.

We've almost got a full squad of players available, so we really should be winning all of them. There's no reason we shouldn't be winning our home games either given the opposition.
Saudi have a few tough games coming up, as do Spurs and United, and I'd be shocked if we finished behind Brighton and Villa.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2023, 02:03:06 pm »

It's not a title race though, teams usually do drop points.

It's highly unlikely we'll win them but 9 wins out of 9 gives us 71 points. That's been enough for 4th place since 16/17 when we needed 76. There's a fair chance Newcastle don't get to 70 points, or will be around that ballpark. We've got no margin for error though.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2023, 02:03:25 pm »
thanks for the top write up sheer

we should have seen this trouble with lines coming

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2023, 02:11:19 pm »
Our 4 remaining away games are Leeds, West Ham, Leicester and Southampton. The 2 worst sides in the division and 2 sides barely any better than them.

We've almost got a full squad of players available, so we really should be winning all of them. There's no reason we shouldn't be winning our home games either given the opposition.
Saudi have a few tough games coming up, as do Spurs and United, and I'd be shocked if we finished behind Brighton and Villa.

In theory we should win all of those.

Except... we haven't scored a single goal away to teams in the bottom half of the table. Not one. :(

That needs to change, starting tonight. :)

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2023, 02:25:52 pm »

good to see the PGMOL updating their training methods so they can subdue all those out-of-control players.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2023, 02:29:49 pm »
we haven't scored a single goal away to teams in the bottom half of the table. Not one. :(

god almighty .....

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2023, 02:31:54 pm »
god almighty .....
Yeah I saw that stat the other day that we've played in a Champions League final more recently than an away goal to a bottom-half side... hopefully today is the day we change than although Elland Road will be rocking and up for it with their recent form
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2023, 02:31:59 pm »
It's not a title race though, teams usually do drop points.

It's highly unlikely we'll win them but 9 wins out of 9 gives us 71 points. That's been enough for 4th place since 16/17 when we needed 76. There's a fair chance Newcastle don't get to 70 points, or will be around that ballpark. We've got no margin for error though.

Oh yeah of course if we win 9 of 9 we're in with a really good shout. But if anyone thinks we're going to win 9 of 9 they're an insane person. Any points total we can realistically get requires too many teams to drop a good number of points.

Literally scoring a goal tonight would be an improvement on the rest of this season, let alone winning!

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2023, 02:36:59 pm »
In theory we should win all of those.

Except... we haven't scored a single goal away to teams in the bottom half of the table. Not one. :(

That needs to change, starting tonight. :)

Get to absolute fuck. No way is that legit  :lmao

I revise my predictions then. Fuck me we're shit  :D

Edit - Aston Villa were 12th when we played them on Boxing Day. We scored 3.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 02:39:38 pm by Barneylfc∗ »

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2023, 02:44:44 pm »
Thanks for the great OP Sheer.

Well I’m looking forward to tonight’s game. Think we’ll win. Have we got any new injuries? If not we should be strong tonight.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2023, 02:45:02 pm »
Yeah I saw that stat the other day that we've played in a Champions League final more recently than an away goal to a bottom-half side... hopefully today is the day we change than although Elland Road will be rocking and up for it with their recent form

Having looked at it, it's a bit of a nonsense stat though. It appears that it's the current bottom half as it stands today, and there's only been 6 games against those sides.

I guess saying "Liverpool haven't scored away against the sides currently occupying 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 17th and 18th" doesn't have the same ring to it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 02:46:52 pm by Barneylfc∗ »

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2023, 02:57:18 pm »

I mean currently in the bottom half.  ;D

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2023, 02:58:17 pm »
Having looked at it, it's a bit of a nonsense stat though. It appears that it's the current bottom half as it stands today, and there's only been 6 games against those sides.

I guess saying "Liverpool haven't scored away against the sides currently occupying 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 17th and 18th" doesn't have the same ring to it.

It's still not very good though, is it?  :(

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2023, 02:58:22 pm »

that's so 2022.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2023, 03:00:47 pm »
It's still not very good though, is it?  :(

Aye, not going to throw up any bunting and celebrate it like  :D

Offline Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2023, 03:02:32 pm »
Hope we can finally break this season’s cycle of any vaguely encouraging display being immediately followed by a lethargic shitshow against opposition down the bottom.

With the season winding down, less games per week and players coming coming back you’d hope we might improve on that front.

Be nice to see Jota finally get a goal.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2023, 04:01:04 pm »
Be nice to see Jota finally get a goal.
Yep a goal for Diogo, some minutes from Diaz and Thiago starting. 3 points would be nice too
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2023, 04:05:23 pm »
Aye, not going to throw up any bunting and celebrate it like  :D

;D

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2023, 04:08:02 pm »

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2023, 04:34:01 pm »
Great work by Sheer. Thank you

When I was a kid this was the biggest game in English football bar none.

It still sends a shudder down my spine when you read Liverpool v Leeds. Win, lose, or draw you knew it was going to be the hardest 90 minutes of the season.

I reckon I can pinpoint the game where we definitively pulled away from them. I was there. Grand National morning, early kick-off, we beat them 3-0. But it was easy. I think it was '77, possibly '76. Fairclough absolutely terrorised Paul Madeley.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2023, 04:38:35 pm »
We're going to win today and we're going to get top 4.

Tonight is the night, when two becomes one.