Author Topic: Chelsea V Liverpool, EPL, Tuesday April 4th  (Read 13027 times)

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Chelsea V Liverpool, EPL, Tuesday April 4th
« on: April 3, 2023, 11:58:41 am »

Chelsea FC V Liverpool FC
Stamford Bridge, London
Tuesday, April 4th, 20h
English Premier League

Referee: Anthony Taylor
Assistants: Gary Beswick, Dan Cook
Fourth official: Andre Marriner
VAR: Chris Kavanagh
Assistant VAR: Nick Greenhalgh

When I was a kid, someone visiting our family for once made a brilliant decision to buy some books for children instead of sweets or toys. As the grown ups party rumbled on few doors down, I was already face deep in richly illustrated, hardcover of 'Adventures of Baron Munchausen' staring at a drawing depicting a man pulling himself out of a bog by his hair, while holding his horse between his legs. This miraculous and impossible feat of gravity defying, law of physics suspending, mind over matter has burned itself pretty deep in my unspoiled and receptive brain. It was both silly, yet somehow plausible to a six year old. Even today, decades later, when I'm pressed against the wall to push myself and deliver something, this image flickers in my mind. It has become something of a visual reminder that to achieve anything - believing is the essential ingredient.

I won't lie though, my belief is shaky at best these days. It also doesn't seem like our players are full to the brim with it either. It happens. High stakes game catches up with everyone sooner or later, especially when you've spent years making an art form of dancing on the razor sharp edge between big risk and tantalising reward. All those times you've taunted danger, only to smack it from behind after a quick evade. You think it can go on forever, but time comes when you don't feel so sure of yourself and you eventually get punished, once, twice, ten times and suddenly you're losing grip. Fear grows, doubt spreads, you take the safer option knowing it leads nowhere. You try to make it easy on yourself but you just make it easier for your opposition. And on it goes until you're sick of the punishment and decide to do something about it. That gaping black hole where doubt and insecurity exist - it can be refilled with anger. I sure hope our players have it in them.

Bouncing Blues?
So, Potter is gone. Tough luck. He'll have a nice weekend, opening and closing his banking app and giggling on his couch. I could have predicted this the moment he signed - it was always the wrong job for him, especially in such turbulent times at Stamford Bridge. It remains to be seen if his position will be filled by the time this game kicks-off and who will become the new circus manager, but in any case I expect Chelsea players to deliver a strong(er) performance. They'll surely want to show it was Potter, not them, who was the root cause of their mediocre form. They'll see it as a perfect game to prove to everyone they are better and more capable of fighting for top spots. It won't last obviously, but in this game, we'll face a different Chelsea. I do hope we come prepared to spread fear and doubt, because they are really just as fragile as we often are. Our five-game form is identical with two wins, two losses and a draw, and no matter the energy they bring, Chelsea are a team one suckerpunch away from crumbling. All we need to do is deliver the punch confidently and if possible - early.

I do feel our best shot here is go for the throat and early. Instantly turn their aggressive start against them and also use our half hour where we're capable of running and pressing to get a goal or two. We are in no position to control the game for 90 minutes, so let's get into a scrap and see where we end up. Bounce them right back down.

For fucks sake, just have fun
This week always had a lot of potential to deliver piles of depression or another rekindling of hope. Looking at it objectively, 4-5 points would be just about acceptable and would keep us in the Top 4 race for bit longer. But there are still 6 points on the table and if we win this one - I would be pretty confident we'll play a good game against Arsenal at home. It's not over yet.

Looking at our squad, it will be interesting to see how we navigate this game - especially what midfield lineup we go with. There is enough rest between this and the Arsenal game, but this one does put us in a bit of a pinch. We could possibly see Milner start, but there isn't much more on the bench we could go to, so one of Fabinho or Henderson will likely have to start again. Jones seems to be adrift, but I wouldn't be against seeing him play - considering he is in fact some kind of a midfielder and also (last I checked) has legs and can use them to run. Who knows, Klopp might go all out with four attackers and two holding mids. We're better off attacking than pretending we can control the midfield. Whatever the lineup, I hope there is some anger left in this team. Get angry and have some fun out there. It's not science, it's sport.

You can in fact pull yourself out from bogs by pulling your hair while holding your horse between your legs.
Even if the horse has already bolted and is also dead and being flogged at the same time.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Chelsea V Liverpool, EPL, Tuesday April 4th
« Reply #1 on: April 3, 2023, 11:59:24 am »
1-1.

Kante to destroy our midfield (whatever is left of it).

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #2 on: April 3, 2023, 12:00:13 pm »
My feelings towards this game is currently "ugh"

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: April 3, 2023, 12:00:49 pm »
Alisson, Gomez, Ibou, Virg, Tsimikas - Trent, Milner, Curtis - Mo, Darwin, Jota.

Don't see a way we win this game as bad as they are but hopefully it's not a humiliation and we don't start Fabinho and Hendo together, that'd be something at least.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2023, 12:04:09 pm by DelTrotter »

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #4 on: April 3, 2023, 12:04:19 pm »
1-1.

Kante to destroy our midfield (whatever is left of it).

Is he fit?

A draw here, beat Arsenal to hand the title to City and then crumble at Leeds. ;D

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #5 on: April 3, 2023, 12:04:35 pm »
We're going to be seen as the perfect opposition for them/anyone at the moment.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #6 on: April 3, 2023, 12:05:44 pm »
Kante FFS :duh

Literally not played since August and now he's fit just in time to play us. Every fucking time!
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 3, 2023, 12:06:18 pm »
I'd probs go with the line up for the Madrid away game, maybe give Robbo a rest though. 

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 3, 2023, 12:06:58 pm »
Yay another game.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 3, 2023, 12:13:50 pm »
Chelsea are awful but our away form is awful. So can see a draw here.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #10 on: April 3, 2023, 12:24:51 pm »

Fuck me.

Prediction:

Liverpool player sent off after 15 minutes.

Shady penno given to Chelsea before half time.

Referees to ignore any fouls on our players until 84 minutes but before then awarding 6 or 7 yellows to us and a few Chelsea ones with a few minutes to go to 'even it up'
« Last Edit: April 3, 2023, 12:27:15 pm by Andy @ Allerton! »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #11 on: April 3, 2023, 12:35:57 pm »
Get Gomez and Tsimi in there, and try playing conservatively (at the right club for that) for a change, and see how it goes, that’d be my great advise to people who have forgotten more in a day about footy than I’ve ever known  :P

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 3, 2023, 12:39:01 pm »
Can see us get beat but if we take another 3 goal hammering in this then they can all go to fuck at this point. Their legacy is on the verge of being deeply tarnished at this point.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 3, 2023, 12:44:30 pm »
Kante back fit, new manager bounce, our awful away form, no midfield, squad largely off form.. sigh, not looking forward to this at all.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: April 3, 2023, 01:04:59 pm »
Too soon.

Having said that, at least some of our senior players had 30+ minutes rest being subbed off. Probably not enough to offset the squad number advantage chelsea have, if they use it - but hopefully they play as fearfully as they did at Anfield (and we don't) and don't try to get at us. 0-0 feels most likely given the name of the game will probably be 'don't make mistakes' again

only real questions for the team are whether Tsimikas gets a start, and whether Jota has 60 more minutes in him as he continues getting back to speed. don't think Nunez walking and lightly jogging once or twice will have earned the trust to start, in the context of Klopp's repeated concerns about forwards not blocking passing lanes or pressing well, unless Jota is considered a risk to play again so soon

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 3, 2023, 01:10:15 pm »
Probably the most high profile mid-table clash for some time.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #16 on: April 3, 2023, 01:12:48 pm »
Drop Fabinho, drop Robertson, rest Van Dijk, start Nunez at the 9 ... don't mind after that

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #17 on: April 3, 2023, 01:14:13 pm »
Season starts now?

Offline Realgman

• Kopite
  • gerrup the yard
« Reply #18 on: April 3, 2023, 01:21:46 pm »
we're gonna win this...3-1
2 for mo...
I am not a dreamer. I am a football romantic-Jurgen Klopp

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 3, 2023, 01:22:01 pm »
Got a lacklustre borefest written all over it.

We're both a shambles. I expect 0-0 or 1-1.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: April 3, 2023, 01:27:14 pm »
Jurgen said they'll be changes definitely but it was more in terms of player availability through fitness.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #21 on: April 3, 2023, 01:34:32 pm »
Can see us get beat but if we take another 3 goal hammering in this then they can all go to fuck at this point. Their legacy is on the verge of being deeply tarnished at this point.

Really? Cos they are having a shit season? Good grief!

In a few years time when they are all coming back for re-unions and Legends games, they’ll be welcomed for what they are -one of Liverpool’s best ever teams who won it all.

Offline PhiLFC#1

• The Messiah! He rawks amongst us
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: April 3, 2023, 01:35:59 pm »
We're going to be seen as the perfect opposition for them/anyone at the moment.

And vice-versa.

Table says we're better than them though so we should be favourites. Perfect one to get us back on track.

I'm also willing to bet we'll beat Arsenal to get City back in the title race.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2023, 01:37:44 pm by PhiLFC#1 »

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 3, 2023, 01:37:27 pm »
Jurgen said they'll be changes definitely but it was more in terms of player availability through fitness.
seems to quite often pre-emptively cite fitness/minor injuries when he plans to leave out one of Fabinho or Hendo.

have we got anyone in the under 23s who can run and head the ball? or will we throw Jones into a double pivot for a second time ever, with one of the usual guys, like we did for Forest. I've still not given up on thinking Matip might get a game at the 6 this season too

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 3, 2023, 01:45:53 pm »

Fuck me.

You beat me to it !

Thanks for the OP Zlen. I like the story. Life is all about timing isn't it? Well you picked the short straw to be doing a preview there ! Well done.
As you "say" we've about a dead horse in a bog's chance of pulling this (anything) off but we could beat Chelsea tomorrow night. They are in as much of a mess as we are. So that gives me a certain context and way to look at this game.

As a few have mentioned above I would start Curtis on the left of midfield. I'd play Fab at 6. I would start Nunez instead of Jota and keep Cody/Bobby in the middle. I'd be tempted to play Gomez just for the change and the solidity at the back and to have Trent to come if needed. Robbo for an hour and Milner for at least 30, maybe for Harvey.

Allison,

Gomez, Virgo, Konaté, Robbo

Harvey, Fab, Jones,

Bobby/Cody,

Salah and Nunez

I know midfield looks a bit light and one-paced (slow !) but both Harvey and Jones, with the ball, are good controllers.

Anyway, I'm probably wrong !!

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #25 on: April 3, 2023, 01:53:51 pm »
Kante back fit, new manager bounce, our awful away form, no midfield, squad largely off form.. sigh, not looking forward to this at all.

do you know something we don't?
Believer

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #26 on: April 3, 2023, 02:11:03 pm »
Thanks for the OP. :)

Jürgen's presser...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0O_j59-O9uc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0O_j59-O9uc</a>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O_j59-O9uc
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #27 on: April 3, 2023, 02:28:16 pm »
Liverpool away game. Taylor in charge. Kavanagh on VAR. Kante back. Chelsea have just sacked their manager.

I really can't be arsed with this one.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Reds r coming up the hill

• Main Stander
« Reply #28 on: April 3, 2023, 02:28:20 pm »
Is there such a thing as a no manager bounce?

Hopefully not. And regards Kante if it’s his first game back from injury will he start ?

Would prefer to see Jones start in this, see if he has a future at Liverpool, options available  aren’t good anyway you look at it. Not saying they can’t pull a performance out though, they’ve proven they can on occasion just hope this can be one.
2-1 to the Reds.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #29 on: April 3, 2023, 02:30:05 pm »
Expect a lot of injury time to account for the time it takes Kavanagh to rule out any goals we score - or to try to (if we do score).

Two massive Mancs as ref and VAR and the club just take it and won't say a word. We really are soft as shit. Chelsea are the ones moaning about Taylor.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: April 3, 2023, 03:03:07 pm »
Who's managing those twats (the blue ones)?
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline Realgman

• Kopite
  • gerrup the yard
« Reply #31 on: April 3, 2023, 03:22:17 pm »
Bruno Saltor apparently

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chelsea-manager-liverpool-graham-potter-26618582

Who's managing those twats (the blue ones)?

Unless you mean everton, and its still Dyche :)
I am not a dreamer. I am a football romantic-Jurgen Klopp

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #32 on: April 3, 2023, 03:35:06 pm »
Keep a clean sheet. Score a few goals for fun. Happy Days.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline shank94

• Currently at minus 10 and falling...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: April 3, 2023, 03:40:10 pm »
Just don't fall apart in the second half as usual
Everyone knows it's Shanks, Shank is part of my name.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #34 on: April 3, 2023, 05:08:01 pm »
It's an away game and if I had a guess we're going to be starting Milner with one of Hendo or Fabinho in a double pivot. Anything is possible so don't want to rule out us winning this but I'm not exactly filled with warm and fuzzies. Taking my daughter on a college tour so can't watch. Probably for karma reasons in that I'm being negative and can't watch we'll trash them. Certainly wouldn't complain.

Offline semit5

• obsessed with faeces
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: April 3, 2023, 05:17:40 pm »
I’m a lot more hopeful on this than I was the City game, we aren’t on form but these are worse

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #36 on: April 3, 2023, 05:24:11 pm »
thanks for the OP zlen

think we can win this one

it'll be a weird game - maybe lots of goals?

in the presser was that female journo trying to stir the shit?

i want jurgen to stay forever - i want us win more trophies to give back to him for all he's done for us
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #37 on: April 3, 2023, 05:45:34 pm »
Come on Redmen!!
Great op Zlen. Who knows what to expect. PGMOL obviously worried. Hope to see Jones start and a performance of some energy and effort please.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline oldman

• Kopite
« Reply #38 on: April 3, 2023, 06:32:31 pm »

holy shit - we are in for a torrid evening

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #39 on: April 3, 2023, 07:10:40 pm »
holy shit - we are in for a torrid evening

Honestly they could select anyone and it's almost as bad.