Author Topic: Roofing Advice  (Read 4317 times)

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Roofing Advice
« on: January 23, 2023, 05:31:24 pm »
Have a small leak in roof and had a few roofers over to look at. It’s been temporarily repaired.

The issue is rotten batons that are majority of way up rear roof (seen videos and can see in loft where membrane has gone).

Two companies don’t want to do repair as can’t guarantee it as could be a domino effect when they try to repair and tuck membrane in. However, a full reroof is very expensive and I can’t really fund without a interest free credit card.

I would rather do this over a loan cause of deposit protection, etc.

Does anyone have any advice ?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Roofing Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 05:47:29 pm »
Have a small leak in roof and had a few roofers over to look at. It’s been temporarily repaired.

The issue is rotten batons that are majority of way up rear roof (seen videos and can see in loft where membrane has gone).

Two companies don’t want to do repair as can’t guarantee it as could be a domino effect when they try to repair and tuck membrane in. However, a full reroof is very expensive and I can’t really fund without a interest free credit card.

I would rather do this over a loan cause of deposit protection, etc.

Does anyone have any advice ?

I ended up paying  4k for a new one seven years ago after just moving in , they quoted 1.5 k for repairs and new ridge tiles so opted for the new one . When they stripped it the battens were like mush .

If your planning to stay a long time then anything but a new one is false economy

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 05:54:33 pm »
I ended up paying  4k for a new one seven years ago after just moving in , they quoted 1.5 k for repairs and new ridge tiles so opted for the new one . When they stripped it the battens were like mush .

If your planning to stay a long time then anything but a new one is false economy

It’s 6.4k for one with new tiles and 4.2k using existing ones.

Repair ranges from 100 quid to 1.2k with one guy not doing as can’t offer guarantee.

Did you pay a deposit and was it picked up on survey?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 06:00:38 pm »
It’s 6.4k for one with new tiles and 4.2k using existing ones.

Repair ranges from 100 quid to 1.2k with one guy not doing as can’t offer guarantee.

Did you pay a deposit and was it picked up on survey?

No I took 18 months completely renovating the house but the guy I bought it off said they’d spent £900 a couple of years before on the ridge tiles and such , only in it a while and I think it was a storm called Doris took loads of ridge tiles off and a bit more damage .

I was lucky that he took a load of pics give me a written repair quote and I spoke to my insurer and they contributed about 1.4k towards it . The guy who done it didn’t want payment until completion

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 06:24:26 pm »
Thanks mate.

This has been caused by storm but can’t see insurance paying out.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2023, 07:21:03 pm »
Thanks mate.

This has been caused by storm but can’t see insurance paying out.

If you don’t ask you don’t get

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2023, 08:49:35 pm »
If you don’t ask you don’t get

We had emergency cover and they sent guy out to temporarily fix.

He said we would be lucky to get full cover as they access weather apps to determine how windy, etc and then will say poor workmanship or wear and tear.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2023, 11:31:44 pm »
If you’re planning on staying there long term, replace it.

We’re both pretty much the same age, and I replaced mine a few weeks ago and my thinking was replace it now and you shouldn’t have to ever worry about it again in your lifetime.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2023, 08:55:10 am »
If you’re planning on staying there long term, replace it.

We’re both pretty much the same age, and I replaced mine a few weeks ago and my thinking was replace it now and you shouldn’t have to ever worry about it again in your lifetime.

That’s our view too.

Do you mind me asking price? And length it took?

We may move but I think it gets called out on survey anyway.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2023, 09:12:09 am »
can't really add much to this because don't want to go into quotes and prices and stuff as each individual case can vary massively

but temporary repairs or repairing the current issue only usually leads to future problems and more pay outs

my experience with quotes is never to take the cheapest nor the most expensive (well duh) and hit around the top-middle quote/s - you can always pitch 2 companies against each other

you do say it was storm damage but you also mention rotten batons - they would only rot over a period of time so maybe this leak was always there?

and of course people patch up holes etc and they seem to have no further problem but do you want to gamble with your roof? and also those rotten batons?

financial advice? you need to speak to someone more qualified than me  :wave
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2023, 09:30:10 am »
can't really add much to this because don't want to go into quotes and prices and stuff as each individual case can vary massively

but temporary repairs or repairing the current issue only usually leads to future problems and more pay outs

my experience with quotes is never to take the cheapest nor the most expensive (well duh) and hit around the top-middle quote/s - you can always pitch 2 companies against each other

you do say it was storm damage but you also mention rotten batons - they would only rot over a period of time so maybe this leak was always there?

and of course people patch up holes etc and they seem to have no further problem but do you want to gamble with your roof? and also those rotten batons?

financial advice? you need to speak to someone more qualified than me  :wave

I would say the issue has probably always been there but only noticeable recently cause of bad winds we had here.

Quotes are coming in around same price but just trying to use the most reputable firm because of big deposit. Never had to do a job this big where you have to fund it with help of credit cards, etc.

We could add to mortgage but not sure how that works.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2023, 09:34:03 am »
Where do you go to get quotes? Are you using a website or contacting individual firms?

There's a small leak in mine that only seems to be an issue in really bad downpours and I contacted one firm and they took about 3 weeks to even reply and wanted £120 to come out for a quote, is that normal?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2023, 09:39:13 am »
Where do you go to get quotes? Are you using a website or contacting individual firms?

There's a small leak in mine that only seems to be an issue in really bad downpours and I contacted one firm and they took about 3 weeks to even reply and wanted £120 to come out for a quote, is that normal?

I went to checkatrade and Which plus used recommendations.

No call out fees from anyone though. That’s not common practice.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 09:42:42 am by Nick110581 »

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2023, 09:46:44 am »
yeah, on the quote it said call out fee of £100 and then £70p/h after + VAT. Appreciate people need to earn money but if I'm paying out £120 and they might not even do anything I'm not gonna be best pleased. Maybe it's because I said it was a small-ish job.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2023, 09:51:54 am »
yeah, on the quote it said call out fee of £100 and then £70p/h after + VAT. Appreciate people need to earn money but if I'm paying out £120 and they might not even do anything I'm not gonna be best pleased. Maybe it's because I said it was a small-ish job.

Most people should come out with no call out fee.

Good luck - it’s a shit task.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2023, 12:26:52 pm »
I would say the issue has probably always been there but only noticeable recently cause of bad winds we had here.

Quotes are coming in around same price but just trying to use the most reputable firm because of big deposit. Never had to do a job this big where you have to fund it with help of credit cards, etc.

We could add to mortgage but not sure how that works.

if you're struggling to get the money together, or just simply can't, then some companies do offer finance plans and payments in instalments - not that i would say that is what you should do (you need to do your own maths) but it could help spread the cost rather than having to pay a large lump sum up front - all dependent on the plans' fees, interest, penalties etc etc

here's an example of a roofing firm in northampton offering this type of service https://ldroofingservices.co.uk/finance/

Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2023, 12:41:08 pm »
if you're struggling to get the money together, or just simply can't, then some companies do offer finance plans and payments in instalments - not that i would say that is what you should do (you need to do your own maths) but it could help spread the cost rather than having to pay a large lump sum up front - all dependent on the plans' fees, interest, penalties etc etc

here's an example of a roofing firm in northampton offering this type of service https://ldroofingservices.co.uk/finance/

It’s more the fact that they don’t take credit card payments.

I don’t like the idea of giving a company 2.5k up front. I get why they want it but it’s a risk.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2023, 01:11:52 pm »
This thread prompted me to have a check in the loft at the weekend. We had a small brown patch appear a couple of months ago on the ceiling of one of the bedrooms. It’s dry and hasn’t got any bigger and our loft is difficult to move around in as the insulation has been laid thick and over all of the beams, so had been putting it off. Think there may be some water damage on one of the beams/struts/trusses (what are they actually called?).

Got someone coming out to take a look tomorrow. So thanks for the prompt
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2023, 01:17:20 pm »
That’s our view too.

Do you mind me asking price? And length it took?

We may move but I think it gets called out on survey anyway.

Cost £6.5k for a mixture of old and new tiles.

The actual work took about 3 days, but the scaffolding was up for about 2 weeks while they waited for the weather to pick up enough for them to do the work.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2023, 01:26:47 pm »
This thread prompted me to have a check in the loft at the weekend. We had a small brown patch appear a couple of months ago on the ceiling of one of the bedrooms. It’s dry and hasn’t got any bigger and our loft is difficult to move around in as the insulation has been laid thick and over all of the beams, so had been putting it off. Think there may be some water damage on one of the beams/struts/trusses (what are they actually called?).

Got someone coming out to take a look tomorrow. So thanks for the prompt

from my own experience -

with the recent cold spell - the icy blast - a lot of lofts can accumulate condensation because of both this extreme weather (for this country) and the fact that inside a loft it needs to breathe so an empty loft is much better for air to circulate (breathe)

so you will get damp patches showing on ceilings where moisture has gathered but this is only a real problem if it persists - it can cause mould bu that can be treated, and ceilings might need a coat of paint but usually this is all it is

once the weather turns back to 'normal' then your loft should be able to breathe again once more

but always check the loft if noticing damp patches or water marks or mould just in case there is a hole (usually a broken tile and nothing more) or worst case scenario, a leak from the plumbing but that would manifest itself as a persistent patch

rotten wood would be the result of a long term problem that needs immediate addressing

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2023, 02:02:09 pm »
from my own experience -

with the recent cold spell - the icy blast - a lot of lofts can accumulate condensation because of both this extreme weather (for this country) and the fact that inside a loft it needs to breathe so an empty loft is much better for air to circulate (breathe)

so you will get damp patches showing on ceilings where moisture has gathered but this is only a real problem if it persists - it can cause mould bu that can be treated, and ceilings might need a coat of paint but usually this is all it is

once the weather turns back to 'normal' then your loft should be able to breathe again once more

but always check the loft if noticing damp patches or water marks or mould just in case there is a hole (usually a broken tile and nothing more) or worst case scenario, a leak from the plumbing but that would manifest itself as a persistent patch

rotten wood would be the result of a long term problem that needs immediate addressing

I’m hoping i may be confusing what looks like possible water damage on the wood with something less serious and that it’s just a broken tile that has caused it or something more simple (and non expensive). Hopefully find out tomorrow

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2023, 05:24:09 pm »
I think I have too many quotes now

One saying to use mendip tiles and another saying Redlands 49.

It sucks being an adult.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2023, 06:06:06 pm »
As others have said, a new roof is the way to go if you're staying in the house and a damaged roof could be picked up in surveys if you want to sell.

One tip - if anyone suggests spray foam insulation inside the roof as a solution or part of a new roof kick their arses down the street. We bought a house three years ago and couldn't get a mortgage because it had spray insulation. In the end we had to spend £20,000 to strip it out and chuck every tile. Luckily the survey picked it up and we got the cost knocked of the purchase price. Without the insulation we would have spent £4-6,000 foir new battens, felt and tiles.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2023, 06:29:56 pm »
As others have said, a new roof is the way to go if you're staying in the house and a damaged roof could be picked up in surveys if you want to sell.

One tip - if anyone suggests spray foam insulation inside the roof as a solution or part of a new roof kick their arses down the street. We bought a house three years ago and couldn't get a mortgage because it had spray insulation. In the end we had to spend £20,000 to strip it out and chuck every tile. Luckily the survey picked it up and we got the cost knocked of the purchase price. Without the insulation we would have spent £4-6,000 foir new battens, felt and tiles.

None of that suggested thankfully.

Just different prices and tiles. Then stressing over the scaffolding at side of ours as people need access to the garages.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2023, 07:04:19 pm »
I think I have too many quotes now

One saying to use mendip tiles and another saying Redlands 49.

It sucks being an adult.

If you’re replacing the tiles makes sure your not in one of those areas where you can’t change the tiles.

Some councils don’t allow you to change the colour or style of tiles from those on the rest of the road.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2023, 07:13:48 pm »
If you’re replacing the tiles makes sure your not in one of those areas where you can’t change the tiles.

Some councils don’t allow you to change the colour or style of tiles from those on the rest of the road.

How do I find that out?

Nothing obvious on site. And no roofer mentioned.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 07:25:24 pm by Nick110581 »

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2023, 08:03:23 pm »
How do I find that out?

Quick phone call to the planning department mate.  They'll be able to tell you straight away.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2023, 08:20:38 pm »
How do I find that out?

We nearly got caught out by that.

When we were talking about replacing the roof at home, I mentioned to my Mrs and dad that we should find out if there are any restrictions, both of them went absolutely bat shit crazy at me, an absolute slanging match because apparently ‘I over complicate and over analyse everything and stress everyone out’… then turned out I was bang on the money and had we proceeded with the tiles we were originally planning on using (the roofer didn’t warn us either) the council would have made us rip them off and replace them... there was a truck load of humble pie force fed to Mrs WLR and WLR Snr that day :D
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2023, 08:22:26 pm »
Quick phone call to the planning department mate.  They'll be able to tell you straight away.

Luckily I have a direct contact there as my folks needed a new partition fence because of their mental neighbour

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2023, 08:24:11 pm »
We nearly got caught out by that.

When we were talking about replacing the roof at home, I mentioned to my Mrs and dad that we should find out if there are any restrictions, both of them went absolutely bat shit crazy at me, an absolute slanging match because apparently ‘I over complicate and over analyse everything and stress everyone out’… then turned out I was bang on the money and had we proceeded with the tiles we were originally planning on using (the roofer didn’t warn us either) the council would have made us rip them off and replace them... there was a truck load of humble pie force fed to Mrs WLR and WLR Snr that day :D

Haha

Someone has replaced in the road leaving into our Close and they have grey slate and connecting house has original ones

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2023, 08:37:41 pm »
Can you not brace the one/ones that look a bit dodgy,and then do a temp repair until summer,if we get a good summer you'd be able to dry them out,could even get that starter with a blower straight after the temp repair.

I'm no roofer though.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2023, 08:39:26 pm »
Can you not brace the one/ones that look a bit dodgy,and then do a temp repair until summer,if we get a good summer you'd be able to dry them out,could even get that starter with a blower straight after the temp repair.

I'm no roofer though.

It’s throwing money away to not really fix it properly.

Pay double money for scaffolding, etc.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2023, 11:53:37 pm »
It’s throwing money away to not really fix it properly.

Pay double money for scaffolding, etc.

I meant you can do the bracing and temp lining from inside & instead of getting scaffold put up you could hire a tower.If you know anybody who uses them at work you could get it dirt cheap,not that they're expensive to hire anyway.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2023, 02:44:30 pm »
I meant you can do the bracing and temp lining from inside & instead of getting scaffold put up you could hire a tower.If you know anybody who uses them at work you could get it dirt cheap,not that they're expensive to hire anyway.

Think it needs to be done outside

We have had different quotes for repairs but seems to be throwing money at something that needs fixing

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2023, 04:15:27 pm »
from my own experience -

Chap came round today and reckons we need the valley redoing where our roof meets our neighbours, quoted £650 - roofs seem expensive so is that reasonable or not?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2023, 04:17:12 pm »
Chap came round today and reckons we need the valley redoing where our roof meets our neighbours, quoted £650 - roofs seem expensive so is that reasonable or not?

I would say that’s fair if lead needed but get another quote and see if same issue quoted by next person.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2023, 07:43:51 pm »
Yeah, I would say that’s in the right ballpark
Thinking is overrated.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2023, 08:50:06 am »

i wouldn't like to guesstimate  - but checkatrade says

Cost to repair a roof valley The roof valley is where two sloping roofs meet. Not only does it join up the roof, but it’s built to channel rainwater down towards the gutter. The roof valley, as you would expect, deals with a huge amount of water, and is prone to leaking over time. If you were only replacing the cement or re-using existing valley flashing, then costs will start at £375. To repair one roof valley will take half a day and cost around £350. If you had two valleys to repair, then it could take 1 day and cost around £450.

source - https://www.checkatrade.com/blog/cost-guides/roof-repair-cost/

hope that helps

Offline Oh Campione

• Anny Roader
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2023, 01:53:08 pm »

Paid £425 in Crosby just before Christmas for that work so seems a bit much

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2023, 03:57:00 pm »
Cheers for all the replies people, much appreciated. Think I’ll be looking to Knock him down (price wise) or go with someone else.

Although could just be Southern Tax :)