Author Topic: Brighton vs Liverpool, EPL, 3.00pm Saturday January 14th  (Read 25745 times)

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Brighton vs Liverpool, EPL, 3.00pm Saturday January 14th
« on: January 9, 2023, 10:30:16 am »
                                            Brighton vs Liverpool, Saturday 14th, 3.00pm, AMEX Stadium.

Referee: Darren England.
Assistants: Dan Robathan, Wade Smith.
Fourth official: Tim Robinson.
VAR: Neil Swarbrick.
Assistant VAR: Timothy Wood.

In the past Brighton versus Liverpool was not a game to set the pulse racing.

Brighton were an occasional, mild foe and odd Cup thorn through the decades but, as much as anything, we’ve had a few transfers go back and forth. One of our more recent being student of the game and friend of Kop and Klopp, Adam Lallana. Previous to that there have been 3 notable players who have gone between the 2 clubs.

One was Jimmy Case, a tough tackling, hard shooting midfielder from the Kenny-era. Bob Paisley moved him on. He admits contributing to his own downfall: "I left Liverpool when I was 28. I think it was just that - without being controversial - you get in a few scrapes, you're breathalysed and you're caught fighting in a hotel in Wales like me and Ray Kennedy were, and the club didn't look upon that too kindly." In the summer of 1981 he was transferred to Brighton & Hove Albion. Case had always been naturally fit. "I never looked after myself. You used to drink like a fish. When I trained I trained hard and drank when we were allowed to drink with the lads. Always enjoyed myself. I used to eat and still do eat whatever I want to eat. I've never had a problem that way." Case retired well into his 40’s. Times have changed eh !

Mark Lawrenson, an exquisite defender was bought for a club-record fee for Liverpool and became the most expensive defender in Britain. "I was nervous as a kitten," Lawrenson remembers when he met Bob Paisley: "I had on my best suit, shirt and tie, my best bib and tucker. I went down to reception and the doorman spotted me and said 'Mr Paisley is waiting for you in his car outside.' When I got in the car I saw that Bob was wearing slippers and a cardigan. I couldn't believe it. That was my first meeting with Bob Paisley and I knew I'd come to the right place. They'd just won the European Cup and there was this fellow, who everyone in football thought was an absolute god, driving me to the ground in his slippers and cardigan! I thought 'You'll do for me!’"

One of my favourite minor Liverpool players over the years was Michael Robinson. He came to Liverpool from Brighton in Joe Fagan time. He had a short time with the Reds, his boyhood favourite club. Once while having a goalless run he was called in to see Fagan. "'The boss wants to see you.’ He recalls walking down the corridor to Joe Fagan's office thinking, 'Well, that's it, I'm not playing.' When I got there, Joe said, 'Michael lad, I was making a cup of tea this morning and my wife was reading the Echo and saying I was going to leave you out.' 'And I was worried about that because you're worth your weight in gold.' 'Before I go and talk to the press I want you to see the team I'm going to give them.' He handed me a piece of paper with the numbers 1 to 11 blank apart from no 10, where it said Michael Robinson. 'That's the team, laddie.' 'You and 10 more.' That night I scored twice.”

Robinson, who was playing with Ian Rush, was by his own admission not very skilful and could have been in better physical shape. Even though he was always going to fade in comparison playing with Europe's most lethal striker it did have its advantages: "Ian Rush made me look brilliant in the air," Robinson confesses. "When I jumped up and headed, the ball would always go to Rushie. He could read my body; the way I jumped up Ian would deduce where the ball would go. He worked it out before I had. Rush never knew which bloody knife or fork to use, but on the pitch he was a genius.”

Thanks to LFC history for the stories there. Hats off to Sir Bob and Joe Fagan.

Nowadays Brighton are standard bearers for a new breed of football club. Resurrected from ruin and life in the lower leagues. New ground, (bye-bye The Goldstone Ground). Clever background management. Good recruitment. Clear relationship with a feeder club in Europe. Excellent coherence with managers. They are financially stable and with recent sales of Ben White and Cucurella have laid down a marker with respect to transfers. They get what they want these days. According to our legion of you tube transfer experts we are looking at Caicedo, their midfielder. Well I reckon all that’s all we’ll be doing come the weekend.

Sitting comfortably in 8th place in the table, one point behind ourselves, they have successfully negotiated Graham Potter’s early season exit and have kept up results and performances. They spanked Frankie’s Blues 4-1 at Woodison last time out. They’ll be full of confidence and looking to do the Mersey double on Saturday. Our recent record against modern, relevant Brighton is mixed. Pretty much 50-50 over the last few seasons.

We are all obsessing about our painful, injury ridden, age warped transition but Brighton seem to be going through an evolution of their own. Their most recent league game saw a bunch of players, some new, all bought at ridiculously low prices (I heard the entire team cost less than Alex Iwobi) but with real quality. Sanchez is a good keeper, Veltman (highly rated) has been readied, Estupinan and the much coveted Caicedo are part of a young exciting Equador team. Mitoma seems to have hit the ground running, I had never heard of Sarimento and Ferguson (Irish, hallelujah) and they have Trossard, Lamptey, Lallana and (my man of the World Cup Final) Mac Allister (who should be playing for Ireland but, for some reason chose Argentina !!). Sprinkled around them are a bunch of seasoned EPL pro’s. They deserve to be where they are in the league and, weird as it is to say it, this is a game of equals given our unending difficulty in keeping players fit and endless capacity to give away goals. Brighton will expect to win.
Wow, even writing that feels strange.

Brighton are the current  holders of “The Sporting Director Of The Year Award”,  “The EPL Hipsters Cool Club Choice” and perennial competitors in “The Best Away Of The Season if you manage to stay for the weekend”. The concourse in the Amex was where one of the great recent songs, “Bobby’s song” was properly launched after the aforementioned Bobby scored to give us a 1-0 EPL victory. They’ve never been to Europe although they are close to it in every sense. These days it’s good to be a Seagull. The weekend was also kind to them as they slipped into the 4th round of the Cup and got a kind draw at home against either relegation threatened Wolves or a splutteringly inconsistent, misfiring, gift-bearing Liverpool. They’ll fancy themselves a nice little cup run there.

As for us. Lord help us (and me). Where do you start ? So close and yet so far. It feels like a once omnipotent, all conquering force has run out of fuel. Like a panzer group stuck on ice. The tanks are peerless. The crew battle-hardened and willing, everyone knows what to do but they can’t move anymore and an orchestrated blitzkreig has now become a bunch of befuddled Bambi’s. Forgive all my mixed metaphors folks. I have some of my Mum’s old LP’s at home and while the covers are fantastic, when I play them, regularly the needle skips about, chunks of songs disappear and then inevitably the needle gets stuck and the same line with crackling, aged distortion, echoes eerily on and on…

It would help our collective cause if we stopped (a) conceding first, giving teams goals, particularly with their first decent attack (b) mentally collapsing when we do (c) in general, stopped getting injured. Overall, in my opinion, it looks like this team, squad, needs an emotional and energetic reset. They are great individuals who have given us the best of rides over the longest of spells and I’m not pinning it on anyone. I love this group of players and coaches but it’s a crazy watch these days. Lord only knows what it’s like to be playing. A football season and a football team both have a slow evolution. No matter what we want and however people call for dramatic change it’s highly likely that when Saturday comes it’s going to be the same deck of cards to choose from. One thing I can gaurentee It won’t be boring and I doubt it’ll be scoreless.

So what’s it going to be ? Maybe Jimmy Case & Co had a point. A proper blowout anyone ?? No, thought so. Strap yourselves in. It’s a south-coast lottery at 3.00pm on Saturday.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 03:55:32 pm by Dougle »

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Brighton vs Liverpool, EPL, 3.00pm Saturday January 14th
« Reply #1 on: January 9, 2023, 10:31:49 am »
Fearing a beating here to be honest.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 9, 2023, 10:41:25 am »
Thanks for the write up, Dougle.

Fearing a beating here to be honest.
Think a fair few of us are with you on this.

Hopefully Jurgens plucky underdogs can raise their game and beat our much fancied opponents.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 9, 2023, 10:47:46 am »

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: January 9, 2023, 10:49:48 am »
This ends 4-2 or 5-2 to them if we carry on setting up the way we are, you can already picture how most of the goals go in with the likes of Caicedo winning every duel (if we even contest duels) then a simple kick forward puts Mac Allister and Trossard in with no one anywhere near them or 4 on 2 v our centre backs. Darwin and Mo to light it up for us but means nothing as they'll be let down by what's behind them.

A high energy team with a quality manager who score goals v a team that can barely move just feels a total nightmare for us right now. A bit like the opposite of when we've overwhelmed Arsenal, Utd, Barca etc in recent years. Their home record isn't even any good but yeah, still hard to have any optimism.

Get me a Naby, Stef, Thiago midfield. Henderson and Fabinho shouldn't be anywhere near this.

On the plus side, the last time a pre match thread was as miserable as this one will likely be we beat City even if it was just papering over the cracks.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 9, 2023, 10:54:22 am »
Looking forward to seeing Caicedo.
Our team not so much unless we improve.

We will get dominated for large spells in this

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 9, 2023, 10:54:57 am »
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 9, 2023, 10:59:19 am »
Positives: At least it's not till the weekend.
Negatives: Most other stuff.

Sign Caceido before we play, lads.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #8 on: January 9, 2023, 11:18:07 am »
Whatever happens, the post-match thread is going to be knee-jerk central:

- Brighton take points off us with Caicedo playing well and the calls for new midfielders will be deafening
- We beat them with Caicedo ineffective and there'll be a bunch of stuff about the shiny new toys brigade and that we can make it through the season as is

Can't wait.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 9, 2023, 11:25:38 am »
First game in a long time where I have very little optimism in us getting anything from it. Something needs to drastically change. It is clear we don't have the personnel/drive to play the way we are used to in previous seasons gone by.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 9, 2023, 11:50:47 am »
Keep it a little tighter surely as again the spaces in our lines are getting exposed. If we are asking the full backs to play at the half way line then why not bolster the back line with three central defenders. Might make the incoming opposition rush a little harder to get at Allison. We will see if there is a wee tweak to the system as i prefer to play two up front and bulk up the midfield and defence. Get back on track with making it difficult to score on us.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #11 on: January 9, 2023, 11:51:18 am »
Unbelievable that Brighton should be favourites for this one.
Can't see us getting anything.

Unless we play more defensive and use counters smartly,  letting them have most of the ball, make their possession sterile by defending deep.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #12 on: January 9, 2023, 07:13:08 pm »
On paper this season it should be an easy win for Brighton. So, we might just get a result. It's that kind of season.  :rollseyes
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #13 on: January 9, 2023, 07:16:56 pm »
3-1 to us..Mo 2 and Nunez.

For their goal, no idea, I know fuck all about them or their players.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 9, 2023, 07:20:05 pm »
Could get ugly for us.

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 9, 2023, 07:20:35 pm »
Whatever happens, the post-match thread is going to be knee-jerk central:

- Brighton take points off us with Caicedo playing well and the calls for new midfielders will be deafening
- We beat them with Caicedo ineffective and there'll be a bunch of stuff about the shiny new toys brigade and that we can make it through the season as is

Can't wait.

haha! That's the great thing about football, everyone gets to be wrong eventually.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 9, 2023, 07:21:49 pm »
Thanks Dougle.

Brighton are stronger in the middle but we'll have a chance if we are clinical. We can't be bossed in the middle and still be fluffing chances. We WILL create good chances, let's take advantage. Also, no silly mistakes please.

I'd go with the best team possible: Ali, Trent, Joel, Ibou, Robbo, Fab, Naby, Thiago, Mo, Darwin and Gakpo.

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #17 on: January 9, 2023, 07:22:28 pm »
I'd take a draw
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
  • Off the coach, through the park.....
« Reply #18 on: January 9, 2023, 07:23:08 pm »
Dougle, good OP mate - just edit the Everton score - they beat them 4-1 because of a very late penalty, not 4-0.
Also (sorry):"...got a kind draw in the 5th round at home against either relegation threatened Wolves or a splutteringly inconsistent, misfiring, gift-bearing Liverpool..." 4th round mate.
« Last Edit: January 9, 2023, 07:26:59 pm by Barrow Shaun »
officially accepted RAWK source of information

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
  • Off the coach, through the park.....
« Reply #19 on: January 9, 2023, 07:24:22 pm »
We drew away at Brighton 3-3 back in 1981/82. I can see this being very similar.
officially accepted RAWK source of information

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 9, 2023, 07:24:48 pm »
I'd take a draw
We need a win here mate. Can't afford to lose more ground. Teams above us have difficult fixtures. Hopefully we capitalize.

Offline zamagiure

• tujenkins
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 9, 2023, 07:28:27 pm »
We are winning this.
mines a pint

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 9, 2023, 07:44:17 pm »
It's only Monday.We will be o.k by Saturday,right?

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 9, 2023, 08:24:51 pm »
Stick gakpo centre mid with one of any other. Our defence better be on it all game to have a chance.

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #24 on: January 9, 2023, 08:26:56 pm »
Referee: Darren England.
Assistants: Dan Robathan, Wade Smith.
Fourth official: Tim Robinson.
VAR: Neil Swarbrick.
Assistant VAR: Timothy Wood.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 9, 2023, 08:42:50 pm »
Dougle, good OP mate - just edit the Everton score - they beat them 4-1 because of a very late penalty, not 4-0.
Also (sorry):"...got a kind draw in the 5th round at home against either relegation threatened Wolves or a splutteringly inconsistent, misfiring, gift-bearing Liverpool..." 4th round mate.

Good spot Shaun ! Cheers

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #26 on: January 9, 2023, 08:55:19 pm »
Hate being pessimistic. It's not something I like being when it comes to Liverpool, but... If we don't change our tactical approach, I think it's going to be one long afternoon, probably ending in defeat.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 9, 2023, 08:56:40 pm »
For a change - we will need to bypass a teams midfield. Maybe that means more than normal longballs to Salah and Nunez.

Online BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #28 on: January 9, 2023, 08:58:03 pm »
Stick gakpo centre mid with one of any other. Our defence better be on it all game to have a chance.
I’d be interested to see him in the Bobby role. He’s got great feet, works hard, isn’t particularly fast but finishes well. Klopp likes pace in those wide areas so possibly Darwin and Mo wide with big Cody central.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 9, 2023, 08:58:33 pm »
Don't see how we win to be honest, our approach isn't changing and there's no sign we are improving. Course we could get a couple of own goals in our favour and we could score some worldies through individual brilliance but both are unlikely.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #30 on: January 9, 2023, 08:59:04 pm »

He's never played CM in his entire professional career(as far as I'm aware), and you want us to stick him in the middle of the park, on his premier league debut, away at Brighton. Bit of a mad shout that mate. :D

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 9, 2023, 10:42:49 pm »
Thanks Dougle.

Brighton are stronger in the middle but we'll have a chance if we are clinical. We can't be bossed in the middle and still be fluffing chances. We WILL create good chances, let's take advantage. Also, no silly mistakes please.

I'd go with the best team possible: Ali, Trent, Joel, Ibou, Robbo, Fab, Naby, Thiago, Mo, Darwin and Gakpo.

Basically same team as we had v Wolves just Naby for Hendo?

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 9, 2023, 10:49:08 pm »
In a normal season we should have a 70% chance of winning with the draw accounting for 20%.  But this is not a normal season, a squad that was inches from a quadruple is now experiencing an unprecedented drop off in form. We have injuries but most of our squad are fit but seriously underperforming.   

See this as the game where the real Liverpool has to turn up, solid at the back and clinical up front.  2-0 to the Reds.
We are Loyal Supporters

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 9, 2023, 11:07:19 pm »
Basically same team as we had v Wolves just Naby for Hendo?
Yep.

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #34 on: January 9, 2023, 11:40:05 pm »
Dreading this. The midfield battle could be a bloodbath. They’ve got athleticism and pace in there while we’re the complete opposite. They dominated us for large parts at anfield earlier on in the season.

Fabinho and Henderson both need benched but the alternatives aren’t much better unless you were to go for a keita Bajcetic and Thiago midfield. Surely it can’t be any worse than what we’ve seen from hendo Fabinho and Thiago.

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2023, 12:12:54 am »
Yep.

If midfield has not got the legs, perhaps 3-4-3 is the solution?
Just can’t see how we can play the same midfield…unless we drop 10 yards deeper and literally park the bus and hit them on the break down the channels…as many teams have done to us when we were good.

Now they play through us.

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2023, 12:14:34 am »
Dreading this. The midfield battle could be a bloodbath. They’ve got athleticism and pace in there while we’re the complete opposite. They dominated us for large parts at anfield earlier on in the season.

Fabinho and Henderson both need benched but the alternatives aren’t much better unless you were to go for a keita Bajcetic and Thiago midfield. Surely it can’t be any worse than what we’ve seen from hendo Fabinho and Thiago.

Totally agree…give Stefan a run. Barca did it with Pedri and Gavi…both teenagers.

Gosh….the days when the Fab-Thiago midfield I think initially had a 100% record…or unbeaten…especially last season…how things have changed.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 12:16:23 am by Caps4444 »

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2023, 12:24:07 am »
He's never played CM in his entire professional career(as far as I'm aware), and you want us to stick him in the middle of the park, on his premier league debut, away at Brighton. Bit of a mad shout that mate. :D

Your probably right. I'm Grasping at straws for anyway to shake things up in midfield.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2023, 12:32:42 am »
I don’t go into a lot of the pre match threads but I reckon this will be the most negative one in years. Probably since the the end of Rodger’s? Maybe it is just the prevailing midfield scare that is happening but honestly I can’t see it here unless they have a really bad day.  I’m not one to jump on the team and never have but you look at us play recently and look at them. It doesn’t look good.

Hopefully some c*nt quotes me in the post match after we win 4 nil.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2023, 12:48:41 am »
It has just turned Tuesday.

Why can't we sign a centre mid by Saturday ?
"Ohhh-kayyy"