Author Topic: Cody Mathès Gakpo  (Read 329488 times)

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Re: Cody Gakpo… welcome to Liverpool
« Reply #2000 on: April 18, 2023, 08:20:04 pm »
He'll become the new whipping boy because he doesnt do fancy things and does the basic stuff really really well. He is consistent in his performances and you can see he is an unselfish team player. Thats what you need to replace Bobby. A lad who does the legwork so that the wide players can score. For the price, he is an absolute gem. He'll do great for us but will forever be underrated by the fanbase because he wont be scoring 30 goals every season.
He's already got more league goals than Diaz last season and I can see him making that false 9 role his own because the other lads are not nearly as grafting as him.

not by the fans who matter - those who actually support, and know their stuff! Plenty of players who may not be that ‘flashy’ are massively appreciated by those fans.  What gobshites on Twitter or those who stray in here say is of zero consequence.

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2001 on: April 18, 2023, 09:46:26 pm »
Maybe I'm overhyping it but I loved his assist to Salah. Not the easiest ball to control but is so cool and lays it perfectly off to Salah.

From what I've seen he's a very cool customer in the box. I think he'll be big for us, can see him popping up in big games with that composure and making a difference.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2002 on: April 18, 2023, 10:53:04 pm »
He'll become the new whipping boy because he doesnt do fancy things and does the basic stuff really really well. He is consistent in his performances and you can see he is an unselfish team player. Thats what you need to replace Bobby. A lad who does the legwork so that the wide players can score. For the price, he is an absolute gem. He'll do great for us but will forever be underrated by the fanbase because he wont be scoring 30 goals every season.
He's already got more league goals than Diaz last season and I can see him making that false 9 role his own because the other lads are not nearly as grafting as him.

Sure there were people here on his back after 3 games, thankfully those idiots are largely in the minority

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2003 on: April 18, 2023, 11:06:13 pm »
Sure there were people here on his back after 3 games, thankfully those idiots are largely in the minority

There were people using the transfer as a stick to hit the boss with & not just a few times either,one of them constantly posted the same shit time and time again,never anything positive and never after a win not even after the 2 Uniteds hammerings
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2004 on: April 18, 2023, 11:07:04 pm »
Maybe I'm overhyping it but I loved his assist to Salah. Not the easiest ball to control but is so cool and lays it perfectly off to Salah.

From what I've seen he's a very cool customer in the box. I think he'll be big for us, can see him popping up in big games with that composure and making a difference.

I enjoyed that,had not intention of being greedy and put it on a plate for the great man.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2005 on: April 18, 2023, 11:52:06 pm »
Is that 5 League goals he has now?

Online SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2006 on: April 18, 2023, 11:56:09 pm »
Is that 5 League goals he has now?
he has 5 total so far ... all PL?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 01:45:52 am by SamLad »

Offline Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
  • Red & White Crown Paints Kop
« Reply #2007 on: April 19, 2023, 01:06:29 am »
That was his first assist last night.

Yeah thanks for correcting that, fat thumbs hit 3 instead of 1.
For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Offline aussie_ox

• Main Stander
  • LFC Blood Red all the way
« Reply #2008 on: April 19, 2023, 04:16:36 am »
Thought when he first signed he was gonna flop badly but is turning into class.  I love his runs from deep, seems to burst through and can be difficult to stop physically (the oil barons did this by fouling him repeatedly and getting away with a clear 2nd yellow).

Klopp that!

Offline FLRed67

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2009 on: April 19, 2023, 04:52:05 am »
Cody will form the spine of the team, along with Ali and Ibou, and A.N. Other in midfield.

There is no forward in the Premier League remotely like him.

Closest is probably Son. But Cody's footballing intelligence, skill set and ceiling are all higher.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 05:03:32 am by FLRed67 »

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2010 on: April 19, 2023, 11:33:37 am »

Reminded me a little bit of the Teddy Sheringham one to Shearer in Euro 96 vs the Dutch. Think Gakpo had more pressure on him in this one too.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #2011 on: April 19, 2023, 03:20:50 pm »
He's the new Dennis Bergkamp.

I dont say that lightly, but cautiously. Bergkamp was always aware where Wright and Henry were, and with skill he would also bang in goals from anywhere. If Gakpo can get upto 80-90% of the quality of Bergkamp, he'll be a hell of a player.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2012 on: April 19, 2023, 03:30:50 pm »
woah! Let’s not get carried away though  ;D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2013 on: April 19, 2023, 03:31:25 pm »
I agree, he gives me Zico vibes.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2014 on: April 19, 2023, 03:40:09 pm »

I think this is missing the point a little.  The reason people weren't convinced about him was because he wasn't comparing favourably to Firmino.  He currently still doesn't get involved anywhere near as much as Bobby and doesn't work as hard (but who does?).  I think he's getting better and more used to the false 9 role, but it isn't that people were expecting a superstar.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #2015 on: April 19, 2023, 03:50:02 pm »
I think this is missing the point a little.  The reason people weren't convinced about him was because he wasn't comparing favourably to Firmino.  He currently still doesn't get involved anywhere near as much as Bobby and doesn't work as hard (but who does?).  I think he's getting better and more used to the false 9 role, but it isn't that people were expecting a superstar.
And Bobby also got tons of criticism over the years, because he's not a traditional striker. He was never scoring enough.
I sometimes think Bobby would have been more appreciated if Klopp presented our team as a 442 diamond.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2016 on: April 19, 2023, 04:01:18 pm »
I think as well, one of the key things is Nunez getting moved out wide to accommodate Gakpo.  Nunez is already practically a cult hero here and everyone wants to see him as the central striker, so bringing someone less dynamic and mad has frustrated a few, even if the team is better for it.

Online SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2017 on: April 19, 2023, 04:06:32 pm »
where does it say that whoever takes Bobby's role has to be a carbon-copy replica of Bobby?  AFAIK that person doesn't exist.

let's just enjoy the skills Cody brings us and stop saying "but he's not Bobby".

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2018 on: April 19, 2023, 04:19:04 pm »
where does it say that whoever takes Bobby's role has to be a carbon-copy replica of Bobby?  AFAIK that person doesn't exist.

let's just enjoy the skills Cody brings us and stop saying "but he's not Bobby".

Sure, but players will always be compared with who they replace, especially if they're playing the same position.  For what it's worth, I think Gapko is a better finisher than Bobby and will get more goals.  Bobby could be pretty erratic in front of goal and is a streaky goalscorer, but Gakpo looks a consistently calm finisher.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2019 on: April 19, 2023, 04:31:56 pm »

I don't think anyone has been saying that. The concern has been that we're trying to use him as a player that presses from the front and links play, yet he does tend to go missing for long periods which is something you can typically accept from a finisher but not someone in his role. Go through our recent matches and he does tend to consistently have the fewest touches of anyone. That said, I think his numbers are improving a little.

As tubby pointed out it hasn't helped that we seemed to spend months integrating Nunez only for Gakpo to displace him immediately, despite the effectiveness of our attack seeming to decline as a result. I think this was also compounded by the fact that we had every chance of sneaking into the top four since the new year, only for our attack to suddenly become very blunt, resulting in us probably missing out now.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 04:35:05 pm by Schmidt »

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2020 on: April 19, 2023, 04:45:56 pm »
bobby is just bobby. his style and role is pretty unique to his skillset

now is the time for cody to adapt and shine.

like mentioned, love the pass to salah for the goal. really reminds us of what a false 9 can bring into the game

the fact that he has stepped into a disjointed squad and have quite a decent output shows that hopefully next year we just might see his G/A go up a bit further once there is a settled midfield and he gets used to playing with diaz, nunez and gakpo. Reminder that our front 4 is also not really settled yet with injuries and poor form.

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2021 on: April 19, 2023, 05:18:17 pm »
bobby is just bobby. his style and role is pretty unique to his skillset

Absolutely, Gakpo is clearly more direct and uses his physicality whereas Bobby was more nuanced and creative.

Online Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #2022 on: April 19, 2023, 07:42:45 pm »
I like his patience on the ball and his ability to hang onto it and draw defenders before releasing it to a team-mate. I'm looking forward to his development with us. He is an intelligent player that will only get better.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2023 on: April 19, 2023, 07:46:43 pm »
Thought when he first signed he was gonna flop badly but is turning into class.  I love his runs from deep, seems to burst through and can be difficult to stop physically (the oil barons did this by fouling him repeatedly and getting away with a clear 2nd yellow).

There's a lesson to be learnt there! :P

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2024 on: April 19, 2023, 10:04:11 pm »
There's a lesson to be learnt there! :P

"He's proved me wrong"

:D

Offline LifelongRed, Sussex

• Kopite
« Reply #2025 on: April 20, 2023, 07:31:38 pm »
He’s fine and will only get better.  To perform the way he has in an dysfunctional team needing a rebuild, shows his talent.   In 6 months time, if the club get centre midfield right, the remaining critics will be wooed too.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2026 on: April 23, 2023, 02:04:42 pm »
I’ve honestly been so impressed with Gakpo. Came into a bad situation and shown an attitude of a complete winner. If there’s one thing we’ve all surely learnt over the last few years, a successful Liverpool team is built on a winning attitude and team ethic.

That aside, I also think he’s an excellent player that will only get better and better. We snagged a bargain there from PSV, no two ways about it. He will play for us for many many years, and his journey at LFC will be a fun one to follow.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2027 on: April 24, 2023, 04:22:01 pm »
Absolutely, Gakpo is clearly more direct and uses his physicality whereas Bobby was more nuanced and creative.

He's obviously playing a role similar to Bobby, but some of his work in midfield reminded me of Gerrard.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2028 on: April 24, 2023, 05:09:53 pm »
He’s fine and will only get better.  To perform the way he has in an dysfunctional team needing a rebuild, shows his talent.   In 6 months time, if the club get centre midfield right, the remaining critics will be wooed too.

I've said this before - but against the sorts of teams who play negatively, defend with 10 men back, etc - I'd have Gakpo play in the midfield, behind Salah/Diaz/Nunez - he is far more creative than any of our other midfield options we have, and his work rate is more than any of our other forwards so i don't think we'll lose defensive shape playing him instead of eg. Hendo.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2029 on: April 26, 2023, 09:38:19 pm »
I love the fact that he stepped up when we were a goal. That's the only doubt I had about him. Fantastic strike from a fantastic player at a key point of the game.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2030 on: April 26, 2023, 09:39:14 pm »
He was excellent tonight, can see why he's got that central spot.

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2031 on: April 26, 2023, 09:39:27 pm »

For anyone who said he is average or wanted us to miss on the opportunity to get him for this low price please watch another sport, football isn't for you.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #2032 on: April 26, 2023, 09:40:40 pm »
Did very well today.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #2033 on: April 26, 2023, 09:40:59 pm »
Really good, even aside from the goal. Involved in most of our attacks, by linking up and finding space.
MOTM, easily

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #2034 on: April 26, 2023, 09:41:05 pm »
For anyone who said he is average or wanted us to miss on the opportunity to get him for this low price please watch another sport, football isn't for you.
Heh heh. Indeed. Smartarse wannabe know-it-alls always get it wrong
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2035 on: April 26, 2023, 09:41:49 pm »
West Ham got Gakpo’d!

He’s great.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2036 on: April 26, 2023, 09:42:08 pm »
He's making that position his own.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2037 on: April 26, 2023, 09:43:15 pm »
He's class, settled in very nicely. Would like to see him on free kicks too.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2038 on: April 26, 2023, 09:43:50 pm »
Yet again... remember when his link up play wasn't great and there was no point in his signing :lmao me either

Fucking class and so calm on the ball. A joy to watch

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2039 on: April 26, 2023, 09:44:01 pm »
Brilliant all around performance, on top of a vital goal. Really making that Bobby role his own.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.