Author Topic: Cody Mathès Gakpo  (Read 326936 times)

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Cody Gakpo… welcome to Liverpool
« Reply #1640 on: March 6, 2023, 10:21:39 am »
Only 23, took me the Netherlands game in the World Cup where he played as a 10 to win me over, was very surprised how good of an all round footballer he was, was expecting a flash winger with pace but his touch interplay and strength and physique stood out the most.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #1641 on: March 6, 2023, 10:57:58 am »
The second finish with the salute to the Kop is the epitome of announcing one's self.
:D

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1642 on: March 6, 2023, 10:59:57 am »
Only 23, took me the Netherlands game in the World Cup where he played as a 10 to win me over, was very surprised how good of an all round footballer he was, was expecting a flash winger with pace but his touch interplay and strength and physique stood out the most.

He was winning a fair number of headers in midfield as well. And Harvey tried his best to win aerial duels.

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1643 on: March 6, 2023, 11:09:46 am »
He needs a song... a really good one. :)

He came from PSV
And his name is Cody
Cody Gakpo
He made the mancs look shite
He's best mates with Dirk Kuyt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXt723fN1ss

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #1644 on: March 6, 2023, 11:48:02 am »
His boyhood hero was Tim Sherwood.....hence the celebration after his second...

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

A classic comment right here.

I will attach the pic because it always makes me laugh, what a bell was Timmy.

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1645 on: March 6, 2023, 11:55:27 am »
Rose to the occasion spectacularly, I thought his performances have gotten better with each game, excited to see how far this guy can actually go, well in Cody!!

Offline ApfelStudel

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1646 on: March 6, 2023, 02:10:33 pm »
I really like him. Battles hard, has really good technique, and good finishing, and is fairly fast.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1647 on: March 6, 2023, 02:14:28 pm »
Gakpo, Gakpo, Man
I want to be a Gakpo Man

I said the same tune for him in the Half Time thread yesterday  ;D

Just changed up to "It's got to be the Gakpo Man"
« Last Edit: March 6, 2023, 02:16:45 pm by Stockholm Syndrome »

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1648 on: March 6, 2023, 02:35:40 pm »
Dave is an absolute legend of the boards (not in a good way)

Still waiting for this bellend to come on here and question what else he did besides score two worldies.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #1649 on: March 6, 2023, 02:44:53 pm »
Really like how he finds space and turns into it and just runs to get us forward. The more used to his teammates he gets, the better those moves will be. He can still develop plenty of his game too which is exciting.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline ThoroughlyMediocre

• Main Stander
« Reply #1650 on: March 6, 2023, 02:45:10 pm »
Funny enough, I think he might be pretty damn fast. His running style doesn't scream rapid, but he's consistently able to create separation when receiving the ball from a deeper position. Decision-making isn't half-bad either.

I quite like him  :)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1651 on: March 6, 2023, 02:47:02 pm »
 8)

Virgil van Dijk says Bobby Firmino is teaching Cody Gakpo the false 9 position.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1652 on: March 6, 2023, 02:47:52 pm »
Doesn't take no shit either I like that about him.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #1653 on: March 6, 2023, 03:08:56 pm »
Don't anybody in this thread dare and delete their old posts to make themselves look good
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1654 on: March 6, 2023, 03:10:27 pm »
Elements of our fanbase have disgraced themselves this season. It's actually been quite limited on here compared to other platforms.

The disdain shown towards the likes of Nunez, Gakpo, Fabinho, Elliott, Henderson, Gomez and Lijnders at times as been horrid.

YNWA, right? Especially criticising new players is just weird. We used to be more tolerant. Peter Crouch always comes to my mind how our fans stood by him in his difficult first months.

Edit: The man's own words.

The Englishman arrived from Southampton in the summer of 2005 for £7 million but went 18 appearances without a goal for his new club.

“What was so amazing was that Liverpool fans stuck with me,” Crouch explained on the Diary of a CEO podcast.

“That’s something that I’ll never forget, because I swear to you, any club in the world, having just won the Champions League in one of the best finals we’ve ever seen in Istanbul, they signed me and I turn up and I don’t score in 18 games.

“I don’t think there’s a club – a top club – in the world that tolerates that as a fan base apart from Liverpool fans.”
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1655 on: March 6, 2023, 03:23:53 pm »
Van Dijk on Gakpo:

“It’s a very difficult position to play, but he learns from one of the best each and every day with Bobby Firmino.

“I think that position of a false nine is Bobby Firmino’s. He’s the one that showed over the years how difficult it is for any other player to perform it, and also how hard it is for others to defend it.

“The winter isn’t an easy time to come to a club but Cody is settling in very well. He has to keep going, keep the confidence, keep the belief.  I think he will be fine for this club. He’s a fantastic player.”

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #1656 on: March 6, 2023, 04:08:42 pm »
The Kolo Toure chant would fit in seamlessly
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #1657 on: March 6, 2023, 04:27:09 pm »
I've been waiting to see a finish like he had for the first. He strikes the ball so cleanly.

Oddly enough, his overall play wasn't that great in my opinion, but when you can score those two goals, who really cares?
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1658 on: March 6, 2023, 04:27:22 pm »
The Kolo Toure chant would fit in seamlessly

Fuck that.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #1659 on: March 6, 2023, 04:34:56 pm »
Peter Crouch

The Englishman arrived from Southampton in the summer of 2005 for £7 million but went 18 appearances without a goal for his new club.

“What was so amazing was that Liverpool fans stuck with me,” Crouch explained on the Diary of a CEO podcast.“That’s something that I’ll never forget, because I swear to you, any club in the world, having just won the Champions League in one of the best finals we’ve ever seen in Istanbul, they signed me and I turn up and I don’t score in 18 games.“I don’t think there’s a club – a top club – in the world that tolerates that as a fan base apart from Liverpool fans.”

Can we pin this somewhere for those that don't get the culture of this club
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1660 on: March 6, 2023, 04:36:16 pm »
Peter Crouch

“What was so amazing was that Liverpool fans stuck with me,” Crouch explained on the Diary of a CEO podcast.“That’s something that I’ll never forget, because I swear to you, any club in the world, having just won the Champions League in one of the best finals we’ve ever seen in Istanbul, they signed me and I turn up and I don’t score in 18 games.“I don’t think there’s a club – a top club – in the world that tolerates that as a fan base apart from Liverpool fans.”

Superb idea, pin that somewhere highly visible in the transfer forum...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #1661 on: March 6, 2023, 04:39:51 pm »
I don't like Nunez wide left but I wonder if this guy is going to enable much more fluidity than we could ever have with Firmino (who didn't have the speed/ running with the ball ability to play LF). It was really encouraging to see the 2 of them switching around at various points, most obviously for the first goal.

Much prefer  Nunez wide  left and Gakpo in the middle , it’s definitely more productive

Online SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1662 on: March 6, 2023, 04:46:35 pm »
Much prefer  Nunez wide  left and Gakpo in the middle , it’s definitely more productive
they switched places frequently yesterday I believe.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1663 on: March 6, 2023, 05:01:36 pm »
Funnily enough Gakpo is a bit like a faster more mobile Crouch imo.
Crouch had great feet and was very intelligent at bringing others into the game. Highly underrated player due to being a gangley beanpole.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #1664 on: March 6, 2023, 05:02:20 pm »
That second goal, when you watch it back , first of all he he made an excellent pass into space to set Mo on his way and then he runs from about 8 yards outside his own box to roughly 2 yards from the end line, at Anfield i make that about 72 yards (Seventy Two Yards) to get the return pass and then he produces that finish as cool as you like.

gonna live forever that goal. 30 years from now our grandchildren will be watching highlights of this game and lol at martinez  ;D
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline FLRed67

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1665 on: March 6, 2023, 05:12:57 pm »
You have to watch his second goal a few times to fully grasp what he did.

Is there anybody with Cody’s combination of attributes in this league? Or anywhere?

Taller than defenders and able to win the ball in the air or shrug off challenges, but with the footwork and technique of the little guys with Spanish names at City or Barcelona, to move the ball quickly with either foot.

Able to run from box to box in about 8 seconds, with movements timed to exploit the spaces between the lines and behind the defenders, and finish with the ability of a Lewandowski or an Aguero.

We’re in uncharted territory here. 

« Last Edit: March 6, 2023, 05:14:51 pm by FLRed67 »

Online SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1666 on: March 6, 2023, 05:15:22 pm »

Is there anybody with Cody’s combination of attributes in this league? Or anywhere?

Taller than defenders and able to win the ball in the air, but with the footwork and technique of the little guys with Spanish names at City or Barcelona, to move the ball quickly with either foot. Able to run from box to box in about 8 seconds, with movements timed to exploit the spaces between the lines and behind the defenders, and finish with the ability of a Lewandowski or an Aguero.

late in the game he was in their box surrounded by 4 defenders, but managed to not only hold possession but laid it off to a man in the open (Nunez maybe? not sure).  great feet.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1667 on: March 6, 2023, 05:28:59 pm »
Peter Crouch

To their foreheads?
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #1668 on: March 6, 2023, 05:34:23 pm »
REALLY pleased for the lad, how he’s grown into the team in recent games. This is my first post in his thread so luckily I don’t have anything slightly embarrassing to look back on. But being honest, I can’t be too high & mighty as I was quietly in the ‘not entirely convinced’ camp at first; but was happy to give him the benefit of the doubt and see how he got on after a bit more experience of both the Premier League and his Liverpool teammates.

Some pace on him to get up the length of the pitch to score his dink. I know Mo was busy making their defender look silly, but to catch up and be there in time was impressive. I didn’t think he looked that quick at first, but Christ he covers the ground well.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1669 on: March 6, 2023, 05:39:02 pm »
late in the game he was in their box surrounded by 4 defenders, but managed to not only hold possession but laid it off to a man in the open (Nunez maybe? not sure).  great feet.

Laid it off perfectly for Robertson. Or maybe not perfectly, given it was on his right foot. :D The one he curled wide of the far post.

Online SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1670 on: March 6, 2023, 05:40:06 pm »
Laid it off perfectly for Robertson. Or maybe not perfectly, given it was on his right foot. :D The one he curled wide of the far post.
ah, right - that was it.  ta.

edit:  my guess is he'll keep it away from Robbo's right foot in future.  :)

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1671 on: March 6, 2023, 05:41:23 pm »

Taller than defenders and able to win the ball in the air or shrug off challenges, but with the footwork and technique of the little guys with Spanish names at City or Barcelona, to move the ball quickly with either foot.

Able to run from box to box in about 8 seconds, with movements timed to exploit the spaces between the lines and behind the defenders, and finish with the ability of a Lewandowski or an Aguero.

His technique is really good. That first touch to eliminate Varane was perfect. He's a weird combination of speed, technique and strength. He can get stronger both physically and when attacking crosses. There's a lot of potential there.

Online SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1672 on: March 6, 2023, 05:47:52 pm »
I thought RAWK had a "no selfies" rule?

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1673 on: March 6, 2023, 05:48:16 pm »
The two right footers from Robbo yesterday might go down as two of his most measured shots yet!

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1674 on: March 6, 2023, 05:56:27 pm »
That second goal, when you watch it back , first of all he he made an excellent pass into space to set Mo on his way and then he runs from about 8 yards outside his own box to roughly 2 yards from the end line, at Anfield i make that about 72 yards (Seventy Two Yards) to get the return pass and then he produces that finish as cool as you like.

Amazing goal that, can't get enough of it. I mean it was brilliant from Gakpo and Salah to make the chance but Martinez getting bamboozled and the finish just elevate it to a higher plane.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #1675 on: March 6, 2023, 06:58:03 pm »
REALLY pleased for the lad, how he’s grown into the team in recent games. This is my first post in his thread so luckily I don’t have anything slightly embarrassing to look back on. But being honest, I can’t be too high & mighty as I was quietly in the ‘not entirely convinced’ camp at first; but was happy to give him the benefit of the doubt and see how he got on after a bit more experience of both the Premier League and his Liverpool teammates.

Some pace on him to get up the length of the pitch to score his dink. I know Mo was busy making their defender look silly, but to catch up and be there in time was impressive. I didn’t think he looked that quick at first, but Christ he covers the ground well.

Not just the speed either, it's so easy to lose composure after a lung busting run like that. You often see players struggle with the finish or to get enough power on their shot after covering that much ground.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1676 on: March 6, 2023, 07:09:40 pm »
From the moment his goal went in against the Ev he looked like he'd thrown off a ton of weight on his shoulders. Picked the ball up and turned and ran through the middle of the pitch in that game in way that he looked like a different player to the guy who was so clumsy and terrified against Chelsea.

Yesterday by miles his best performance for us though. Really showing me what I know. I thought he was gonna be another in-from-the-left lad, but looks a lot like he's been brought to take over from Bobby, maybe the toughest role in the team to replicate, along with Salah.

Has a hugely physical presence to add to the mix as well as pace and good technical ability. Looking at him in a whole different light. First goal great but second goal had Mané vibes.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #1677 on: March 6, 2023, 07:23:24 pm »
Elements of our fanbase have disgraced themselves this season. It's actually been quite limited on here compared to other platforms.

The disdain shown towards the likes of Nunez, Gakpo, Fabinho, Elliott, Henderson, Gomez and Lijnders at times as been horrid.
The lack of time and patience afforded to Nunez and Gakpo by some this season has been almost unbelievable. I suppose it's just the way society is these days though. Too many expect everything, and they expect it now. Little or no time is given for players to settle and bed in. Little or no time afforded them to develop understandings with teammates and adapt to new surroundings and ways of playing.

Too many expect robots, not human beings.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1678 on: March 6, 2023, 07:26:36 pm »
Shithouses too cowardly to admit they were wrong too.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1679 on: March 6, 2023, 07:47:13 pm »
Starting to blossom in to The Real McCoy isn't he  ;D
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.