Author Topic: Those chants  (Read 187637 times)

Offline Oh Jimmy Jimmy

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Those chants
« Reply #1680 on: February 27, 2024, 02:36:55 pm »
yeah, but the point is the same.  Chelsea used to be a working class Club back in the 60s with a bedrock of support from places like Battersea and Wandsworth, before those places became gentrified.  By the 80s, their support came from 2nd generation out of London new town places like Hemel, Bracknell etc - these supporters lacked a cultural identity (their parents were cockneys and they heard all the stories, but they were not) and so Chelsea became that identity.

A big part of this was the National Front, which used the Bridge as a recruiting ground. The national team was also hijacked by these Chelsea / NF scum, and any self respecting middle class fans deserted them for a club like Fulham.

Now, after 25 years of continual success, their support is much more diverse, but they still have these 2nd and 3rd generation whoopers - I even saw one on Sunday wearing an "I am English" badge.

I was sitting in Club Wembley at their end on Sunday and most supporters around me were reds (without wearing red of course).  That's why playing an Irish anti-English rebel song at the end of the game was even more enjoyable - the looks on their faces :)

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #1681 on: February 27, 2024, 02:50:44 pm »
Winnersh has a lot of Chelsea fans too.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #1682 on: February 27, 2024, 03:22:10 pm »
It's not the first time Fromola has done it, and it's not the first time he's been called out on it either.  Ironic that in a thread about derogatory stuff being aimed at people, he's doing the exact same thing about the good people of Slough.

I just named a couple of random places. Not being derogatory to the people there, what I said was people of a certain mindset. People from 'insert random town' whose identity is the England flag, the union jack and the royal family. This is a big part of Chelsea's fan culture (and they align heavily with Rangers).

Not saying there's anything wrong with that per se, by the way,  there isn't, but they hate us because our pride is perceived to be in the city rather than the country and we're not cap doffers.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1683 on: February 27, 2024, 03:22:56 pm »
I just named a couple of random places. Not being derogatory to the people there, what I said was people of a certain mindset. People from 'insert random town' whose identity is the England flag, the union jack and the royal family.

Not saying there's anything wrong with that by the way,  there isn't, but they hate us because our pride is perceived to be in the city rather than the country and we're not cap doffers.

That's twice now that I've seen where you've named Slough as being full of Chelsea fans, when it's not the case at all.  That's all I'm saying.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1684 on: February 27, 2024, 03:29:02 pm »
yeah, but the point is the same.  Chelsea used to be a working class Club back in the 60s with a bedrock of support from places like Battersea and Wandsworth, before those places became gentrified.  By the 80s, their support came from 2nd generation out of London new town places like Hemel, Bracknell etc - these supporters lacked a cultural identity (their parents were cockneys and they heard all the stories, but they were not) and so Chelsea became that identity.

A big part of this was the National Front, which used the Bridge as a recruiting ground. The national team was also hijacked by these Chelsea / NF scum, and any self respecting middle class fans deserted them for a club like Fulham.

Now, after 25 years of continual success, their support is much more diverse, but they still have these 2nd and 3rd generation whoopers - I even saw one on Sunday wearing an "I am English" badge.

I was sitting in Club Wembley at their end on Sunday and most supporters around me were reds (without wearing red of course).  That's why playing an Irish anti-English rebel song at the end of the game was even more enjoyable - the looks on their faces :)

Sums them up how eager so many are to say they aren't chanting 'fuck the Tories' but 'fuck the Scousers'.

Fuck the Tories is chanted in response to the poverty mocking guff from them. God forbid anyone could think they were saying anything about the Tories that have run the country into the ground for the last 14 years

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1685 on: February 27, 2024, 03:31:09 pm »
That's twice now that I've seen where you've named Slough as being full of Chelsea fans, when it's not the case at all.  That's all I'm saying.

It was a singular reference. 'A Chelsea fan from x'. I wasn’t meaning to cause offence. I've nothing against the place.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #1686 on: February 27, 2024, 03:34:55 pm »
Winnersh has a lot of Chelsea fans too.

Taplow. Didcot. Yately. Because they're their own boss, they can-BURFIELD.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #1687 on: February 27, 2024, 03:42:52 pm »
Well, the people of Slough.

Wasnt there ' a row going on down near Slough', once?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1688 on: February 27, 2024, 03:44:08 pm »
Who's in the Slough crew? Amir, Nick, and Fatty?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1689 on: February 27, 2024, 03:47:39 pm »

Isn't Tepid knocking about round that way?  Or am I thinking of someone else.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1690 on: February 27, 2024, 03:49:14 pm »
Wasnt there ' a row going on down near Slough', once?

"Get out your mat and pray to the West
I'll get out mine and pray for myself".

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1691 on: February 27, 2024, 04:01:04 pm »

Eating trifle, we’re eating trifle.

Online kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #1692 on: February 27, 2024, 08:44:33 pm »

What song is this mate ? Iam just being inquisitive by the way . 
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1693 on: February 27, 2024, 09:33:04 pm »
Not chants……but some disgusting comments on the Notts Forest forum.

Offline TheCunningScorpion

• Main Stander
« Reply #1694 on: February 27, 2024, 09:33:18 pm »
What song is this mate ? Iam just being inquisitive by the way .

Fields of Anfield Road.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1695 on: February 27, 2024, 09:34:57 pm »
Not chants……but some disgusting comments on the Notts Forest forum.
What do you expect when their child abusing hero went to his brave blaming us.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1697 on: February 28, 2024, 12:40:43 am »
Fields of Anfield Road.

That's not an Irish rebel song and nothing to do with the English.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline TheCunningScorpion

• Main Stander
« Reply #1698 on: February 28, 2024, 01:15:23 am »

I never said it was, I was just replying to a comment asking what song another poster was talking about.

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #1699 on: February 28, 2024, 09:32:08 am »
it definitely feels a lot more "loaded" than what a manc/geordie/cockney/whatever might get - and i'm not even scouse myself.

i think tragedy chanting and anything against protected minorities (race/sexuality/gender identity/disability/etc) should be completely stamped out. but there's probably a line somewhere near 'scouse bastard' where it maybe gets a bit messy and hard to police, unfortunately.

Never understood why personally. I think (?) it’s illegal to abuse or be prejudicial towards people based upon where they’re from, their cultural identity, etc. I actually think it’s no harder to police than any other kind of abuse of this kind. In fact, if thousands of people are chanting it, it makes it much easier.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1700 on: February 28, 2024, 10:00:20 am »
You’re more likely to have your car stolen or broken into in Leeds, London, Manchester and Newcastle. You’re more likely to be unemployed in Newcastle, Manchester, London, Leeds and Birmingham. You’re more likely to experience poverty in Manchester, Birmingham and Newcastle.  If you’re in Newcastle and Leeds you’re more likely to need a food bank. You’re more likely to be robbed in London, Leeds, Manchester, Nottingham. And you’re more likely to ‘sign on’ in London, Manchester and Birmingham (and as likely in Newcastle).

But yet, this stereotype created by the Tories in the 80s, to beat down a city that defied them, perpetuates. Keep the proles beating each other down while we look away from the land-grabbers and elitist spongers. God save the King. Sign on… sign on… fuck them all.

Offline keeby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • turned down the job of katie perrys fluffer.....
« Reply #1701 on: February 28, 2024, 10:06:55 am »
You’re more likely to have your car stolen or broken into in Leeds, London, Manchester and Newcastle. You’re more likely to be unemployed in Newcastle, Manchester, London, Leeds and Birmingham. You’re more likely to experience poverty in Manchester, Birmingham and Newcastle.  If you’re in Newcastle and Leeds you’re more likely to need a food bank. You’re more likely to be robbed in London, Leeds, Manchester, Nottingham. And you’re more likely to ‘sign on’ in London, Manchester and Birmingham (and as likely in Newcastle).

But yet, this stereotype created by the Tories in the 80s, to beat down a city that defied them, perpetuates. Keep the proles beating each other down while we look away from the land-grabbers and elitist spongers. God save the King. Sign on… sign on… fuck them all.

Superb that jbs !
was on blankety blank once and came second.........

Online kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #1702 on: February 28, 2024, 10:36:12 am »
Fields of Anfield Road.

I wouldn't class that as a rebel song though .  We should make songs to Oro Se Do Bheatha Bhaile  or The Foggy Dew but I reckon we should make one to Come you Black and Tans as it's a catchier tune.

I was born on the Spion Kop .... were we like to sing a lot.....

Thoughts ?   ;)

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1703 on: February 28, 2024, 10:37:25 am »

Just to do with the English landowner that has a fella sent to Australia isn't it?
Jurgen YNWA

Online kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #1704 on: February 28, 2024, 10:38:06 am »

Agreed.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #1705 on: February 28, 2024, 10:38:49 am »
Just to do with the English landowner that has a fella sent to Australia isn't it?

Back Home in Derry is a beauty !!

Edit . Ive actually met Dixie who apparantly wrote it with Bobby in a cell.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 10:41:20 am by kesey »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #1706 on: February 28, 2024, 10:51:43 am »
We use to sing a song to we are long road in the 60's which then it merged into the soldiers song . I'll write the words down when Iam not as busy.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Kloppage Time

• Anny Roader
  • ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
« Reply #1707 on: February 28, 2024, 10:54:26 am »

The original song is about an Irish boy from Athenry County Galway who during the "famine" steals corn from a british landowner destined to feed the british army, very much regarded as a rebel song here.

By a lonely prison wall
I heard a young girl calling
"Michael, they have taken you away
For you stole Trevelyan's corn
So the young might see the morn
Now a prison ship lies waiting in the bay"
Low lie the fields of Athenry
Where once we watched the small free birds fly
Our love was on the wing we had dreams and songs to sing
It's so lonely 'round the fields of Athenry
By a lonely prison wall
I heard a young man calling
"Nothing matters, Mary, when you're free
Against the famine and the crown
I rebelled, they cut me down
Now you must raise our child with dignity"
By a lonely harbour wall
She watched the last star falling
As that prison ship sailed out against the sky
For she lived in hope and pray
For her love in Botany Bay
Anyone can have a good day, but you have to be able to perform on a bad day.

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Kloppage Time

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1708 on: February 28, 2024, 10:56:55 am »
I wouldn't class that as a rebel song though .  We should make songs to Oro Se Do Bheatha Bhaile  or The Foggy Dew but I reckon we should make one to Come you Black and Tans as it's a catchier tune.

I was born on the Spion Kop .... were we like to sing a lot.....

Thoughts ?   ;)

Dearg Doom seems ready made (red destroyer)

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #1709 on: February 28, 2024, 11:07:01 am »
It's to the tune of Fields of Anthenry, and you could argue draws on the massive historical Irish influence in the city of Liverpool, but Fields of Anfield Road is about our great club, and our great club only. You might as well say Poor Scouser Tommy is a loyalist song, because it breaks into the tune of "Sash My Father War", and again could be argued to draw on the city of Liverpool's equally strong Protestant Unionist tradition. But it's not. It's an LFC song. As it should be.

Online kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #1710 on: February 28, 2024, 11:33:21 am »
The original song is about an Irish boy from Athenry County Galway who during the "famine" steals corn from a british landowner destined to feed the british army, very much regarded as a rebel song here.

By a lonely prison wall
I heard a young girl calling
"Michael, they have taken you away
For you stole Trevelyan's corn
So the young might see the morn
Now a prison ship lies waiting in the bay"
By a lonely prison wall
I heard a young man calling
By a lonely harbour wall
She watched the last star falling
As that prison ship sailed out against the sky
For she lived in hope and pray
For her love in Botany Bay

Am , Em , Am , G , Am
Chorus C , Am and G I think .

You are right about what the songs about but I class it more of a yearn or a love song but , yes. It does have polical connotations.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #1711 on: February 28, 2024, 11:34:17 am »
Dearg Doom seems ready made (red destroyer)

I honestly don't think Iam familiar with that song.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #1712 on: February 28, 2024, 11:35:40 am »

:wellin
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online kesey

• Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #1713 on: February 28, 2024, 11:35:42 am »
Ignore my guitar chord post that's Back Home In Derry .  ;D

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #1714 on: February 28, 2024, 12:09:01 pm »

:wellin
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1715 on: February 28, 2024, 12:57:50 pm »

Genuinely don't know a single person that would class it as a rebel song, and I know a lot of people that enjoy their rebel songs  :D

Fairly sure the author of the song wrote it with the view that's it a lad trying to feed his family and nothing against the British.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #1716 on: February 28, 2024, 01:15:42 pm »
I honestly don't think Iam familiar with that song.
Horslips, 1970s song.

The Irish world cup song of 1990 (Put them under pressure) used the guitar riff from the horslips

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/k6NzIOEv0Sg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/k6NzIOEv0Sg</a>
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Kloppage Time

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1717 on: February 28, 2024, 04:12:48 pm »
Genuinely don't know a single person that would class it as a rebel song, and I know a lot of people that enjoy their rebel songs  :D

Fairly sure the author of the song wrote it with the view that's it a lad trying to feed his family and nothing against the British.

I believe he knew what he was writing:

The lyrics say the convict's crime is that he "stole Trevelyan's corn"; this is a reference to Charles Edward Trevelyan, a senior English civil servant in the administration of the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland in Dublin Castle. Trevelyan famously said, "the judgement of God sent the calamity (Famine) to teach the Irish a lesson".

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1718 on: February 28, 2024, 04:41:59 pm »
Ignore my guitar chord post that's Back Home In Derry .  ;D
I'm glad you posted this, because I was going to use your chords to try to play Fields of Athenry on my synth later tonight. I'd have got into all kinds of trouble, seeing as it's not actually FoA.  :)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1719 on: February 28, 2024, 04:45:42 pm »
I believe he knew what he was writing:

The lyrics say the convict's crime is that he "stole Trevelyan's corn"; this is a reference to Charles Edward Trevelyan, a senior English civil servant in the administration of the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland in Dublin Castle. Trevelyan famously said, "the judgement of God sent the calamity (Famine) to teach the Irish a lesson".

This bit adds weight to the rebel aspect..