Musketeer Gripweed
7 (23.3%)
Sheer Magnetism
8 (26.7%)
NICHOLLS1986
7 (23.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: September 14, 2022, 03:30:43 pm

Author Topic: 00s Movies Draft - GROUP A  (Read 909 times)

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
00s Movies Draft - GROUP A
« on: September 13, 2022, 03:30:43 pm »
Hazell:

Battle Royale (2000) - Cat 1. Action/War/Western, Michael Clayton (2007) - Cat 2. Thriller/Crime, Where The Wild Things Are (2009) - Cat 3. Adventure/Fantasy,
Kingdom of Heaven (2005) - Cat 4. Drama/Romance, Snatch (2000) - Cat 5. Comedy/ Musical, Children of Men (2006) - Cat 6. Horror/Sci-Fi,
Paprika (2006) - Cat 7. Animation/Family, Cloverfield (2008) - Cat 8. Wildcard

Battle Royale - Cat 1. Action/War/Western

Michael Clayton - Cat 2. Thriller/Crime

Where The Wild Things Are - Cat 3. Adventure/Fantasy

Kingdom of Heaven - Cat 4. Drama/Romance

Snatch - Cat 5. Comedy/ Musical

Children of Men - Cat 6. Horror/Sci-Fi

Paprika - Cat 7. Animation/Family

Cloverfield - Cat 8. Wildcard

Musketeer Gripweed:

Batman Begins (2005) - Cat 1. Action/War/Western, Layer Cake (2004) - Cat 2. Thriller/Crime, Pan's Labyrinth (2006) - Cat 3. Adventure/Fantasy,
Internal Affairs (2002) - Cat 4. Drama/Romance, School Of Rock (2003) - Cat 5. Comedy/ Musical, Watchmen (2009) - Cat 6. Horror/Sci-Fi,
Elf (2003) - Cat 7. Animation/Family, Gangs of New York (2002) - Cat 8. Wildcard

Action - Batman Begins

Crime - Layer Cake

Fantasy - Pan's Labyrinth

Drama/romance - Internal Affairs

Comedy - School Of Rock

Sci-Fi - Watchmen

Family - Elf

Wildcard - Gangs of New York

Sheer Magnetism:

Team America: World Police (2004) - Cat 1. Action/War/Western, Zodiac (2007) - Cat 2. Thriller/Crime, The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (2003) - Cat 3. Adventure/Fantasy,
Lost in Translation (2003) - Cat 4. Drama/Romance, Bad Santa (2003) - Cat 5. Comedy/ Musical, Let the Right One In (2008) - Cat 6. Horror/Sci-Fi,
Spirited Away (2001) - Cat 7. Animation/Family, Gosford Park (2001) - Cat 8. Wildcard

Cat 1. Action/War/Western - Team America: World Police

Cat 2. Thriller/Crime - Zodiac

Cat 3. Adventure/Fantasy - Return of the King

Cat 4. Drama/Romance - Lost in Translation

Cat 5. Comedy/ Musical - Bad Santa

Cat 6. Horror/Sci-Fi - Let the Right One In

Cat 7. Animation/Family - Spirited Away[/b

Cat 8. Wildcard - Gosford Park

NICHOLLS1986:

The Pianist (2002) - Cat 1. Action/War/Western, The Prestige (2006) - Cat 2. Thriller/Crime, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers  (2002) - Cat 3. Adventure/Fantasy,
Requiem for a Dream (2000) - Cat 4. Drama/Romance, In Bruges (2008) - Cat 5. Comedy/ Musical, The Devil's Backbone (2001) - Cat 6. Horror/Sci-Fi,
Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009) - Cat 7. Animation/Family, Amélie (2001) - Cat 8. Wildcard

« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 03:39:27 pm by Lastrador »

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
Re: 00s Movies Draft - GROUP A
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 03:46:14 pm »
What a strong group this is. All four lineups have several movies I love.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 03:53:30 pm »
Voted for myself obviously, and Hazell as the other one. I didn't care for Where The Wild Things Are but Children of Men/Battle Royale/Paprika is a dynamite combo.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 04:46:49 pm »
"Battle Royale" is an automatic vote for Hazell. The other one is really difficult.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 07:36:06 pm »
Hazell and Nicholls
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2022, 10:15:27 pm »

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2022, 02:53:18 am »
What a list from all four guys. This is my favourit decade to be fair cos I watched them all, seriously. Is it hard to choose? No, dead easy, personal choice, not giving a fuck if it upsets anyone. Get over it, youse all played a great game. More of my favourites with Hazell and, Michael Clayton, Children of Men and Cloverfield. Musketeer with Batman, Pans and School of Rock.They're all in my Pantheon

As is, Sheer with, Let The Right One In and Bad Santa. Also , Nicholls with In Bruges and Amelie.

Lost in Translation is widely acclaimed as a great film. I thought it was a self indulgent, slow, boring, piece of shite. Surprising cos I'm a massive Bill Murray fan. Whoever chose that movie had every right too, though. That's the beauty of it when a draft is proper, as it usually is with movies and music

Actually, watching movies on the big screen, iwas one of my greatest pleasures and I don't do it enough anymore. This particular decade has rekindled that love of cinema that I must have had then. I was in London, good graft, the Theatre or the Cinema, followed by a few drinks around Soho was the norm. Good times.So much so my three kids have purchased a 6 month pass to a particular favourite Cinema of mine in Stockport when I talked about these recent drafts to them. They couldn't believe how much fun I'd been having when I recounted stories about this movie and that movie...I used to take them the cinema regular as kids...they smiled!

Fucking great kids btw

...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2022, 03:04:41 pm »
Went with Musketeer and Sheer.

Hazell - honestly haven’t seen enough if any of them! I know there’s a few eye catching choices on there but couldn’t really judge and benchmark many of them too fairly. Sorry old pal!

Musketeer - plenty of really good picks. I’d say all his picks are attachable and ones I’d watched repeatedly which isn’t always the case. Internal Affairs and the guilty pleasure of Elf stood out but Layer Cake, Batman Begins and Gangs of New York are all enjoyable in their own ways. And School of Rock too in fact.

Sheer - Gave his LOTR pick the edge over Nicholls’. Zodiac is superb, Team America a hilarious riit and Lost in Translation deserves an extra mark for Andy’s continued reaction to it. Haven’t seen Gosford Park but keep meaning to and know it’s meant to be an excellent ensemble piece.

Nicholls - unlucky to miss out, maybe the LOTR judgement swung it. Pianist, Prestige and In Bruges all excellent. I wasn’t a huge fan of Fantastic Mr Fox.

Offline NICHOLLS

• Legacy Fan
  • Ohhhhh ya beauty, what a hit son, what a hit!
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2022, 03:05:33 pm »
Voted Sheer Magnetism (and myself)

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2022, 03:22:36 pm »
What a list from all four guys. This is my favourit decade to be fair cos I watched them all, seriously. Is it hard to choose? No, dead easy, personal choice, not giving a fuck if it upsets anyone. Get over it, youse all played a great game. More of my favourites with Hazell and, Michael Clayton, Children of Men and Cloverfield. Musketeer with Batman, Pans and School of Rock.They're all in my Pantheon

As is, Sheer with, Let The Right One In and Bad Santa. Also , Nicholls with In Bruges and Amelie.

Lost in Translation is widely acclaimed as a great film. I thought it was a self indulgent, slow, boring, piece of shite. Surprising cos I'm a massive Bill Murray fan. Whoever chose that movie had every right too, though. That's the beauty of it when a draft is proper, as it usually is with movies and music

Actually, watching movies on the big screen, iwas one of my greatest pleasures and I don't do it enough anymore. This particular decade has rekindled that love of cinema that I must have had then. I was in London, good graft, the Theatre or the Cinema, followed by a few drinks around Soho was the norm. Good times.So much so my three kids have purchased a 6 month pass to a particular favourite Cinema of mine in Stockport when I talked about these recent drafts to them. They couldn't believe how much fun I'd been having when I recounted stories about this movie and that movie...I used to take them the cinema regular as kids...they smiled!

Fucking great kids btw
Great post mate.

The 00s draft has been the one where I have seen by far the most movies from these drafts. It should have been pretty evident given my age (I was 10 at the start of the decade) but I didn't realise how many I had watched from the 00s until this draft.

I remember I had a small group of high school friends, pretty early in the decade, with which we would go 2 or 3 times per week to the flicks. We saw a lot of shite, a fucking lot, but also some great ones.

Cut to 2007, I was still watching a lot of movies, but better ones and mostly on DVD. Sadly, my local cinema had gone bust a few years back. That year There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men and The Assassination of Jesse James came out, and wow, every single one of those movies had a profound effect on me. I decided that year, just as I was turning 18 and had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, that cinema was my passion and I wanted to be involved in it. Cut to 2022, and I've been working as a film editor for close to a decade, mostly on TV mind you, but also on some long and short features. So yeah, one could say 00s films really shaped my life.  ;D

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2022, 03:35:27 pm »
So, a very close group as one would expect with the quality of films involved all around. Hard luck NICHOLLS and Musketeer, two great lineups you put forward. Nich was probably my favourite of the group. Haz and Sheer now do battle, to see who gets straight to the final and who gets a second chance with all the other lucky losers.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2022, 03:35:34 pm »
It's interesting really, this is the decade where I saw the most films in the cinema by some distance, including some I'll probably put in the general thread as leftovers. There are a lot of cool films there that never got mainstream recognition but have become cult favourites. At the same time, there are some glaring holes in there in a way there aren't for the previous decade. I never got round to Requiem for a Dream or The Pianist for example - maybe if I had I'd have voted Nicholls for this one.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2022, 04:13:55 pm »
It's interesting really, this is the decade where I saw the most films in the cinema by some distance, including some I'll probably put in the general thread as leftovers. There are a lot of cool films there that never got mainstream recognition but have become cult favourites. At the same time, there are some glaring holes in there in a way there aren't for the previous decade. I never got round to Requiem for a Dream or The Pianist for example - maybe if I had I'd have voted Nicholls for this one.

I started the decade in my final year at uni. Went to the cinema loads. Then went travelling so have memories of seeing lots in Australia and New Zealand. Went quite a lot in my courting years (Shabba!) and then went progressively less through the decade as I got married and had kids. If we do a 2010s draft I’ll have nothing to offer but kids films!

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2022, 06:29:44 pm »
Great post mate.

The 00s draft has been the one where I have seen by far the most movies from these drafts. It should have been pretty evident given my age (I was 10 at the start of the decade) but I didn't realise how many I had watched from the 00s until this draft.

I remember I had a small group of high school friends, pretty early in the decade, with which we would go 2 or 3 times per week to the flicks. We saw a lot of shite, a fucking lot, but also some great ones.

Cut to 2007, I was still watching a lot of movies, but better ones and mostly on DVD. Sadly, my local cinema had gone bust a few years back. That year There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men and The Assassination of Jesse James came out, and wow, every single one of those movies had a profound effect on me. I decided that year, just as I was turning 18 and had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, that cinema was my passion and I wanted to be involved in it. Cut to 2022, and I've been working as a film editor for close to a decade, mostly on TV mind you, but also on some long and short features. So yeah, one could say 00s films really shaped my life.  ;D

Ditto

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2022, 06:34:25 pm »
I started the decade in my final year at uni. Went to the cinema loads. Then went travelling so have memories of seeing lots in Australia and New Zealand. Went quite a lot in my courting years (Shabba!) and then went progressively less through the decade as I got married and had kids. If we do a 2010s draft I’ll have nothing to offer but kids films!

Same. My second innings son whom I took to the cinema a lot in the 10's is now a movie buff...at 17. His favourite genre? Crime of course. Obsessed with gangster movies even as far back as Cagney and Edward G Robinson.

I love the G man
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 06:54:18 pm by vivabobbygraham »