Author Topic: We Own This City  (Read 1452 times)

Offline SvenJohansen

• Fast single-handed action expert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
We Own This City
« on: June 7, 2022, 10:13:56 pm »
Has anyone else watched We Own This City? From the guys who did The Wire David Simon, with lots of actors from it too. Really strong Wire vibe off it too. I found it really good, gritty. It's based on a true story. The fella from The Walking Dead is lead actor, Jon Bernathal. The trailer will hook you, no doubt.

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig9BcW7gXvE&ab_channel=HBO

I feel a little strange inside
A little bit of Jekyll, a little Mr. Hyde

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: We Own This City
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 11:39:14 am »
I'm 4 episodes into this.  2 to go and just know I will want more.

Its really good.  Gritty as fuck.  Yeah, its got a Wire vibe but its filmed almost completely from the cops perspective.  Many of the the lead characters (especially Jon Bernthal's) are totally unlikeable, but I guess that's the whole point.  His character throughout reminds me of Alonzo Harris towards the end of the movie "Training day".

I do have to watch it with subtitles though to keep up.  Baltimore Cop street talk is fast and furious.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 11:52:50 am »
Yeah was decent but not surprising how shite cops are in the US.

Offline MadErik

• Legacy Fan
  • NS
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 06:39:37 pm »
Great show, given added weight by the knowledge that it’s based on a true story. I’ve also watched a good documentary - “The Slow Hustle” - which delves into related events.
"I was only in the game for the love of football -- and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool."

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 03:29:19 am »
Watched first 1 1/2 episodes. Concur with everyone else. Gripping, gritty and you want more. Like the Punisher actor as the lead role.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2022, 11:43:05 am »
Finished it last night.  Holy shit, absolute brazen corruption.

Literally given carte blanche to do what the hell they liked by their superiors as long as there were guns being brought to the table.

Been reading the true life reports from the Baltimore Sun.  Wayne Jenkins was literally treated like a demi-god by the BPD.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2022, 01:33:58 pm »

Literally given carte blanche to do what the hell they liked by their superiors as long as there were guns being brought to the table.

Been reading the true life reports from the Baltimore Sun.  Wayne Jenkins was literally treated like a demi-god by the BPD.

Mad Erik mentioned The Slow Hustle, it's essential viewing if you 'enjoyed' We Own This City.  Directed by Sonja Soon who played Kima in The Wire.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2022, 09:40:26 pm »
Struggling with this 2 episodes in to be honest. A lot of timeline jumping and finding it slow.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2022, 01:19:27 am »
I found the same with the first episode or two. Stick with it imo, it ramps up and all clicks together nicely.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 01:33:57 am by Dench57 »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2022, 01:22:21 am »
Had forgotten I saw David Simon had a series out, thanks for the reminder. Will have to give this a watch soon.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2022, 09:08:08 am »
I found the same with the first episode or two. Stick with it imo, it ramps up and all clicks together nicely.

Glad to hear it gets better mate. Will deffo be sticking with it especially as it is only 6 episodes long too.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2022, 11:30:51 am »
Struggling with this 2 episodes in to be honest. A lot of timeline jumping and finding it slow.

The chronology is a bit jarring at first, but soon looking at computer time-stamps and stuff becomes second nature.  Pace wise it's pretty similar to The Wire but the narrative quirks make it seem slower somehow.

Definitely stick with it though, because when it clicks it really clicks.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2022, 07:20:37 pm »

That was my take too. I felt sorry for the city population who were treated to stop searches and then literally robbed by the very people supposed to be protecting them. Utterley diabolical. You felt sorry for the guy who lost his car because he had his wages stolen then lost his job.

It was also interesting that when you start to have shit Police officers then the whole public trust in law and order goes to the dogs. No one wants to serve on juries or do their civic duty as they all have been robbed or know someone that got robbed.

The ending is shocking also about the 'others' that fell from grace after the main characters were convicted.

Offline SvenJohansen

• Fast single-handed action expert.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2022, 08:00:35 pm »
Great show, given added weight by the knowledge that it’s based on a true story. I’ve also watched a good documentary - “The Slow Hustle” - which delves into related events.

Any idea where I can watch that documentary?
I feel a little strange inside
A little bit of Jekyll, a little Mr. Hyde

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2022, 08:02:38 pm »

Was on HBO Max stateside...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2022, 07:07:01 am »

In the UK it's on Sky.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2022, 08:26:35 pm »
Watched that and the documentary over the last few nights.

Loved both - unbelievable it is so recent

Spoiler
The Suiter stuff is insane - I think it is a cover up in all honesty
[close]
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 08:29:31 pm by Nick110581 »
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2022, 12:06:08 pm »
Thought it was really good. I know much of the police in the US seems fucked up, but still crazy that this is a true story. Proper banana republic stuff.

Jon Bernthal does a great job of making that main cop a thoroughly unlikable piece of shit.

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2022, 02:46:38 pm »
ive been reading the book "I Got a monster" which its based on, before i start the mini series.

it is pretty mind blowing the way they carried on for so long

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2022, 04:00:14 pm »
Really enjoyed this show actually. Massive fan of the Wire and liked the throwback appearances in the same sort of environment...some good performances.

As for the story it tells, absolutely mad level of corruption - not too long ago either so is quite unnerving to know that
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.