Author Topic: Champions League Quarter Finals.  (Read 86138 times)

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
Re: Champions League Quarter Finals.
« Reply #1600 on: April 13, 2022, 03:51:57 pm »
Madrid have all these CL or European Cup titles, But 5 of them were in the 50's when no one really gave a rats ass about the European Cup
Such a terrible argument this, hate hearing it.  Especially when it’s from fans of a club two-thirds of whose triumphs came from beating the might of Monchengladbach, Bruges, Roma and Tottenham.  Or who picked them up when you only had to play nine games to win it, not like now when the cream of Europe is in it every single year.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1601 on: April 13, 2022, 04:10:55 pm »
Monchengladbach were the dominant German team of that era and Roma was pretty good too in the early 80's.  I'll give you Spurs. :P

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #1602 on: April 13, 2022, 04:12:03 pm »
Such a terrible argument this, hate hearing it.  Especially when it’s from fans of a club two-thirds of whose triumphs came from beating the might of Monchengladbach, Bruges, Roma and Tottenham.  Or who picked them up when you only had to play nine games to win it, not like now when the cream of Europe is in it every single year.

wow.  What a mad comment that is. Like something you’d hear from a Man City fan.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #1603 on: April 13, 2022, 04:21:10 pm »
What's the best channel to get watch this in the UK? I forked out for a sky day pass on Sunday and that was pretty good.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1604 on: April 13, 2022, 04:22:31 pm »
What's the best channel to get watch this in the UK? I forked out for a sky day pass on Sunday and that was pretty good.

BT Sport
Jurgen YNWA

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1605 on: April 13, 2022, 04:24:56 pm »
Alright Atletico, I dont like you. Your football is shit, your manager is a twat, your players are c**ts

But please beat City tonight

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1606 on: April 13, 2022, 04:25:56 pm »

Yeah, beating the German Champions and the Italian Champions in their own stadium was a piece of piss, that's why in 1977 we were only the 10th English club  since 1960 to win the European Cup....

Alright Atletico, I dont like you. Your football is shit, your manager is a twat, your players are c**ts

But please beat City tonight

Own goal by Ederson or a Suarez tap in please
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1607 on: April 13, 2022, 04:26:25 pm »
Fingers crossed for a 1-0 victory for Atletico. 120 minutes of shitehousery and wearing City out mentally and physically. And then winning it in pens. Just about perfection. Pep would explode.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 04:27:58 pm by Lone Star Red »
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1608 on: April 13, 2022, 04:28:24 pm »
Own goal by Ederson or a Suarez tap in please

They didnt use him at all against United, I guess saving the moment for tonight
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1609 on: April 13, 2022, 04:29:39 pm »
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1610 on: April 13, 2022, 04:32:53 pm »
Unsure which match to watch tonight.
Believer

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1611 on: April 13, 2022, 04:42:35 pm »
wow.  What a mad comment that is. Like something you’d hear from a Man City fan.
I’d be surprised if they’re not already saying it.  They certainly will be if they ever pick up a couple of their own.  Just pointing out the obvious pitfalls of discrediting the earlier EC triumphs.
Yeah, beating the German Champions and the Italian Champions in their own stadium was a piece of piss, that's why in 1977 we were only the 10th English club  since 1960 to win the European Cup....
No need to even go that far imo.  There’s only one European Champion every year, how many times has it been you, that’s the line to take.

Anyway I think it was only the first tourney where it was part-invitational, and it was still the continent’s strongest clubs that were in it.  Wins 2-5 were totally legit afaict.  If there’s any wins that should get an asterisk it’s the two covid ones where there were no fans.  I’m not sure those actually even happened.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1612 on: April 13, 2022, 04:49:55 pm »
I’d be surprised if they’re not already saying it.  They certainly will be if they ever pick up a couple of their own.  Just pointing out the obvious pitfalls of discrediting the earlier EC triumphs.No need to even go that far imo.  There’s only one European Champion every year, how many times has it been you, that’s the line to take.

Anyway I think it was only the first tourney where it was part-invitational, and it was still the continent’s strongest clubs that were in it.  Wins 2-5 were totally legit afaict.  If there’s any wins that should get an asterisk it’s the two covid ones where there were no fans.  I’m not sure those actually even happened.

Show us yours and we'll show you ours

Jurgen YNWA

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #1613 on: April 13, 2022, 04:53:06 pm »
Hopefully the Wanda is at its absolute most intimidating best tonight.
JFT97

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #1614 on: April 13, 2022, 04:56:58 pm »

?????
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1615 on: April 13, 2022, 04:58:33 pm »
Hopefully the Wanda is at its absolute most intimidating best tonight.

Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1616 on: April 13, 2022, 04:58:54 pm »

lol.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1617 on: April 13, 2022, 05:14:03 pm »

I love it when the mask slips.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #1618 on: April 13, 2022, 06:12:25 pm »
Fingers crossed for a 1-0 victory for Atletico. 120 minutes of shitehousery and wearing City out mentally and physically. And then winning it in pens. Just about perfection. Pep would explode.

Atletico are a loathsome club - and always have been. There's almost nothing to admire about them. Their shithousery is not a recent thing. It's part of their DNA. Here's the infamous European cup semi-final v Celtic in which they set out to kick and hurt the Celtic team. Kenny came in for some rough treatment that night, as did Jinky Johnstone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpxoTiKkvw8

We grumble about refereeing standards today. They are a million times better than they used to be.

Hopefully this despicable club will shit all over Man City tonight.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #1619 on: April 13, 2022, 06:18:23 pm »
Yeah, beating the German Champions and the Italian Champions in their own stadium was a piece of piss, that's why in 1977 we were only the 10th English club  since 1960 to win the European Cup

Sorry but maybe I am not reading this right. In 1977 we were only the 2nd English club to win the European Cup. United in the 60's and Celtic (scottish) had won it.

In response to iska during that period you had to actually win your league to be there so in my view making it even harder back then.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #1620 on: April 13, 2022, 06:20:58 pm »
It’ll be funny if city go out for about 30 mins

Then the realisation of them getting rest will sink in
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1621 on: April 13, 2022, 06:22:24 pm »
Madrid have all these CL or European Cup titles, But 5 of them were in the 50's when no one really gave a rats ass about the European Cup

To be fair, that Madrid team had a few half-decent players and probably would have done ok anyway.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1622 on: April 13, 2022, 06:25:42 pm »
Sorry but maybe I am not reading this right. In 1977 we were only the 2nd English club to win the European Cup. United in the 60's and Celtic (scottish) had won it.

In response to iska during that period you had to actually win your league to be there so in my view making it even harder back then.
He’s taking the piss out of my suggestion that 77 or 84 might be called easy wins.  If it was that easy the English entry would’ve been winning it routinely.

fwiw I don’t see how it can be harder either now or then, just different.  There’s only one team manages to become European Champions every year, while all the other sides in Europe get eliminated somehow.  Surely by definition the achievement is the same?!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 06:27:45 pm by Iska »

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1623 on: April 13, 2022, 06:28:10 pm »

Wha?
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1624 on: April 13, 2022, 06:28:34 pm »
Sounds good.

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1625 on: April 13, 2022, 06:32:30 pm »
It’ll be funny if city go out for about 30 mins

Then the realisation of them getting rest will sink in
When have cup runs affected their league form?
I think the mental blow of getting knocked out could affect them also. Yes in an ideal world they get through but then get knocked out in the semi. That’s not a given tho, it’s best if they are dumped out as early as possible. I actually think Atletico have a better chance of going through than Real will have over 2 legs. Don’t want to meet city in the final if we get there, hate playing English clubs in Europe.

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #1626 on: April 13, 2022, 06:59:49 pm »
7 changes for us, only 2 for City. Bound to make a difference at the weekend, considering they've got to travel this time rather than us.

The advantages of having a decent first leg lead as well as a stronger squad.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1627 on: April 13, 2022, 07:12:57 pm »
He’s taking the piss out of my suggestion that 77 or 84 might be called easy wins.  If it was that easy the English entry would’ve been winning it routinely.

fwiw I don’t see how it can be harder either now or then, just different.  There’s only one team manages to become European Champions every year, while all the other sides in Europe get eliminated somehow.  Surely by definition the achievement is the same?!

Sorry, I misread your original post if this is the point you were making. Yeah, it was harder to qualify when only the champions were participating, but then there were fewer games and teams once qualified. Now it’s easier to qualify, but with the number of teams and group stages, it’s harder to win once you’ve qualified.  Achievement is still the same as only one team in Europe wins it.

Everton fans wouldn’t be saying any of this if they were regular qualifiers or if they’d won it.

They love hypotheticals too. They insist they’d have one European Cup if not for the ban, even though during that season, we won the double when they were apparently the best in Europe. In all likelihood, they’d have not won, but the ban lets them create this hypothetical reality where they would have been European champions if it wasn’t for the redshite.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #1628 on: April 13, 2022, 07:13:17 pm »
Is odds of 4/1 for Atletico to win in 90 minutes not a bit insane? That means for every 5 games they play at the Wanda, you'd expect just 1 home win? Seems a bit off.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1629 on: April 13, 2022, 07:16:08 pm »
Is odds of 4/1 for Atletico to win in 90 minutes not a bit insane? That means for every 5 games they play at the Wanda, you'd expect just 1 home win? Seems a bit off.

That's not what the odds mean, they'll fluctuate depending on the opposition.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #1630 on: April 13, 2022, 07:17:06 pm »
I mean every 5 games that AM and City play. Only 1 win in 5? City's away record in Europe ain't all that.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1631 on: April 13, 2022, 07:18:06 pm »
I mean every 5 games that AM and City play. Only 1 win in 5? City's away record in Europe ain't all that.

That's not really what the odds represent either.  Don't forget City are already a goal up and won't need to come out and play, and Atletico are a naturally defensive team too.

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1632 on: April 13, 2022, 07:28:15 pm »

Not 100% sure but think you might have been whooshed ;D

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #1633 on: April 13, 2022, 07:33:49 pm »
how come Suarez can't get a game for Atletico?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #1634 on: April 13, 2022, 07:34:24 pm »

He's not as good as their other two main forwards anymore.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #1635 on: April 13, 2022, 07:47:40 pm »
He's not as good as their other two main forwards anymore.

really? i don't follow them and haven't seen Suarez play in a while, but just had a quick look and he is their top scorer (11) along with Correa (11) and has more goals then Felix (8 )

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1636 on: April 13, 2022, 07:52:15 pm »

Atlético XI: Oblak; Savić, Felipe, Reinildo; Llorente, Koke, Kondogbia, Lemar, Lodi; Griezmann, Félix.
Subs: Lecomte, De Paul, Suarez, Correa, Wass, Matheus Cunha, Carrasco, Hermoso, Vrsaljko, Serrano.

Man City XI: Ederson; Walker, Stones, Laporte, Cancelo; Rodri, De Bruyne, Gündoğan; Mahrez, Foden, Bernardo.
Subs: Dias, Ake, Sterling, Grealish, Zinchenko, Steffen, Fernandinho, Carson, Delap, Edozie, McAtee, Lavia.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1637 on: April 13, 2022, 07:54:37 pm »

They're saving him, he's coming on in extra time to score the 120th minute winner ;D

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1638 on: April 13, 2022, 08:30:34 pm »
And depend on the perception of the punters. I often think there is money on a game to hedge happiness, ie city fans backing AM. Tends to happen when you have plastic fans where the money means as much as the win.
With that in mind, that seems quite generous. I guess the odds also mean a win in normal time. Not qualification for the semi final.

Offline Zaffarious

• likes 2 mins from the toilet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Militant Fan
« Reply #1639 on: April 13, 2022, 08:49:41 pm »
phil foden was down for about 4mins and the ref blows exactly on 45:00.... im assuiming theres 7 mins of stoppage time at the end