Author Topic: BBC DJ and broadcaster Janice Long dies at 66  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
BBC DJ and broadcaster Janice Long dies at 66
« on: December 26, 2021, 01:33:09 pm »
Janice Long, best known as a presenter on BBC Radio 1, Radio 2 and Top of the Pops, has died aged 66 after a short illness at home on Christmas Day with her family, her agent has confirmed.

Since 2017, Long hosted the evening show on BBC Radio Wales.

Her career spanned five decades and she was the first woman to have her own daily show on Radio 1.

BBC director general Tim Davie described her a "stellar presenter" who was loved across the industry.

Long presented Top of the Pops for five years - again, the first woman to do this - and had a late-night slot on Radio 2.

She was also one of the main presenters of the Live Aid charity concert in 1985.

Long was the DJ who gave singer Amy Winehouse her first radio session and also championed the band Primal Scream.

Other artists to have been given early breaks by the broadcaster include Adele, the Smiths and Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

Born in Liverpool, her brother was fellow presenter Keith Chegwin, who died in 2017.

During her career she was a judge for the Mercury Music Awards and a patron of the Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts, founded by Sir Paul McCartney.

Long was also a DJ for BBC Radio 6 Music for two years, from its launch date in 2002.

Her agent, Nigel Forsyth, described Long as a "wonderful, warm human being and exceptional broadcaster".

"She told a brilliant story and always made you roar with laughter with her sharp wit," he said, adding that she leaves behind her husband Paul and two children who "she thought the world of".

Colin Paterson, head of BBC Radio Wales, said her radio programmes were never about herself but were seen as an opportunity to discover, share and champion music.

"There are few people who have done more to nurture new talent from music and the arts," he said.

"She brought her passion for music to Radio Wales in 2017, supporting Welsh artists and Welsh language music ever since - we'll miss her passion, her knowledge and her laugh."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59795298

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: BBC DJ and broadcaster Janice Long dies at 66
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2021, 06:25:34 pm »
Ah that really sad news, 66 is no age.

RIP Janice.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2021, 06:37:05 pm »
Sad news. Had no idea she and Cheggers were brother and sister. RIP Janice.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2021, 06:52:57 pm »
I worked on a radio station in Liverpool in the late 90s with her for a bit, she was lovely. RIP.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2021, 10:28:14 pm »
Janice was a big part of the music of Liverpool being widely appreciated in the 80s . She was an inspiration to many and will be missed by loads. RIP Janice

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2021, 10:43:40 pm »
Terrible shame. RIP
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2021, 11:30:47 pm »
It’s been moving hearing the tribute from various bands and people in the music business. She was obviously highly thought of respected by many people. RIP Janice, condolences to her family and friends. 🙁
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2021, 11:40:40 pm »
Top, top, lady, brilliant broadcaster, one of the best. Without doubt one the great female pioneers in the male dominated music industry. Will be sadly missed by all who knew her. Proper scouse bird.

RIP Janice Longx
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2021, 12:31:20 am »
So sad :(

RIP
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2021, 02:42:54 am »
It’s funny, I know everyone rightly lauds John Peel, but Janice was my version of Peelie. He was on a bit too late for me, so I used  to listen to her R1 show at 7pm when I was a kid, and heard all these weird and wonderful bands like The Smiths, the Bunnymen, the Cure etc for the very first time. I still remember her playing How Soon Is Now for the first time and being utterly blown away by it, it was like music from another planet to my 12 year old ears. She was like a cool older sister playing me her record collection, especially as she was from Liverpool.

Whenever I go to my mums, she usually has Greatest Hits Radio and Janice did a Saturday afternoon show there, and she still sounded great. I had a feeling she was ill as she’d missed a few months of her GHR show in the summer. Still really sad and shocked to hear the news this morning. RIP to a real trailblazer.
Thank you Jurgen

Offline Flyhalf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2021, 02:30:21 pm »
Absolutely gutted when I heard this news. Since 2017, Janice presented a show 7pm till 10pm, Monday to Thursday on Radio Wales and was bloody brilliant. She was off air for a chunk when she was in hospital in the summer but returned and was as good as ever, so this is a real shock.  😞

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2021, 03:40:25 pm »
She was like a cool older sister playing me her record collection.

Yes, that's exactly what she was like. I think that was a big part of her charm and enduring appeal for so many. When you can believe she's only talking and playing records to you. Top broadcaster and presenter. She'll be sadly missed.

RIP Janice

Online AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #12 on: January 3, 2022, 09:37:08 pm »
Yes, that's exactly what she was like. I think that was a big part of her charm and enduring appeal for so many. When you can believe she's only talking and playing records to you. Top broadcaster and presenter. She'll be sadly missed.

RIP Janice

Really well out by both of you. She had that absolute humility and just came across as the most regular of people and like you said felt like she could connect to you.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #13 on: January 4, 2022, 02:21:03 pm »
Very underrated broadcaster and a key figure in the local music scene, with a fantastic ear for music ....loved her shows on R1/R2 ..but Crash FM - the Liverpool based station she set up in the 90's with Bernie Conner - was an absolute gem, a prototype 6 Music that pissed all over anything else on the radio at the time...I have a collection of C60's and 90's that i recorded of the station, and it still sounds boss almost 30 years on....

RIP Janice

They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.