Author Topic: CL: Liverpool 3 vs 2 AC Milan Tomori OG ‘9. Rebid ‘42 Diaz ‘44 Mo ‘48 Hendo ‘69  (Read 20360 times)

Offline Magz50

• Legacy Fan
Get the feck in! Shoulda been 10-2!

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Really enjoyed that game. Didn't enjoy the two goals we conceded but best to get those mistakes out of your system when you win and no harm done. Learn from them and move on.

Lacked a bit of cutting edge up front, but still played some great football and were clearly on a different level. The intensity of the press and pass interceptions was ludicrous, almost felt a bit sorry for Milan at times. Must be a nightmare to play against us when we play like that. Fair play to Milan as most teams would have buckled but they somehow made a game of it.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
That winning goal was for Yorky. He saw the flick on, he could see the shape that a midfielder would need to get in to finish it, he didn't know of any, then he saw it was Hendo, and he KNEW it was in just like the rest of us.

Offline stonecold_jpm

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
There is a genuine lack of understanding of what goes on a football pitch based on the ht thread. Before I even get into that, the criticisms of the line up are beyond baffling. We have 3 centerbacks coming back from serious injury, why would anyone be surprised that they aren't going to play 3 games in 8 days?

The midfield generally always gets rotated [and it's not like we put in our u18s ffs, henderson and keita came in]. The only surprise is Origi.

Now having said that, the reason we conceded 2 goals in the first half [contrary to popular belief] isn't because Salah missed a penalty or because Origi played. It's strictly down to being reckless and sloppy individually and collectively defensively, pressing and compactness went away after a relatively great 25 minutes. Anyside worth their salt, will create a chance let alone score a goal if play in such a manner.  Now this is very rare for us when we are at our best, we don't often lose control like that but we have. [Salzburg at Anfield 2 seasons back, we were clinical, took a 3-1 or 3-0 lead and it was 3-3 for the same reason Milan scored 2 goals in the first half].

So, even if you score 4 or 5 goals, that doesn't prevent you from conceding goals when you play poorly defensively on the other end.

Anyone arguing otherwise, is watching a different sport. Milan were no better than what I thought they would be going in, no where near us, but we allowed them back into the match because of the mad 10 minute spell.

We rectified the mistakes in the 2nd half, responded well, and won the game ultimately. Salah  missed a penalty but he was sensational. Origi for all the critics he has, did well enough to contribute and impact the game, more so than Jota on the night for instance.

3 points, while Atletico and porto dropped points.

Absolutely spot on. I had someone the same next to me at the game who didn’t understand either, going mad at everything including the crowd for not singing every minute, complaining everything the referee gave against us and moaning at the players if they aren’t sprinting everything down. This isn’t how the Anfield crowd operates, they are invested in the game like no other side does and gets behind the team when they know it is needed.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfόnfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Kloppo has a great way with words.

On how much the game was exactly what he hoped for…

Yeah, nearly 100 per cent of course because it was a brilliant game, very exciting and very entertaining. With 10 or 15 minutes where we lost a little bit the plot, whatever. We were not compact enough anymore, we got carried away with our own football, pretty much, and made it then complicated – which we shouldn’t have done – in our possession. Last line slightly too deep; midfield didn’t close the gaps anymore and stuff like this. So they could pass through, they scored two goals. In a moment like this, obviously the game can be decided but not tonight because we could adjust in half-time and did that. Played again really good football and scored two wonderful goals, so won the game. Everyone knew before already but now probably definitely everybody knows: AC Milan came from Pot 4 in this group – very funny! So, that’s the quality in the group. It’s really good that we won this game tonight because obviously you need each point in this group to get through.

On the importance of being able to manage minutes for players in the squad…

Very important. It’s really difficult; Virgil van Dijk, everybody who saw him warming up tonight probably thought, ‘Why is he not playing?’ But we have to be sensible in these moments. We have these three boys here in the last line who all came back from long-term injuries. We have to manage that, we can’t do it differently. Even if they are fit now, which is great. The others were no big changes, if you want, Naby Keita started already two or three games this season. Not sure, did Hendo start the last game? Probably not, so that was clear he would start. Played a super game, both of them. Fabinho had to go through, did that, very important. Divock Origi, people forget so quick in life and football. He’s an outstanding striker and did really well tonight, especially for the long time he didn’t start. It’s just really difficult to get in this team, to be honest. That makes sometimes life a little bit uncomfortable. But he is a great guy and I’m really happy for him he could play like this tonight.

On his reaction at half-time after Liverpool went in 2-1 behind…

No, I wasn’t angry at all, not at all. We saw it coming, actually; we saw the last five minutes coming in the last 15. We tried to get the message across, it didn’t work out because of the outstanding atmosphere in the stadium. Football-wise, we lost the ball in the wrong moment, it was absolutely not necessary. We played so flexible with the triangles on the wings, it was really, really good, but then we started getting a bit complicated and that was one mistake. The other mistake was the last line was slightly too deep. We showed only one picture from the first half where we showed the boys, ‘Here, the last line was too deep. Here, midfield, we need an eight who is pushing up in the challenge and then the other two have to adapt.’ The way we are organised, Fabinho can pick these balls up – everybody who plays in that position can pick these balls up – but if you are not organised then they just pass the ball through the gaps. I was actually waiting for half-time and I was really happy when the whistle came and we could solve that. We sorted it and then we didn’t have that problem anymore. I was not angry at all, that’s the job to do. I cannot celebrate 30 minutes and then for 15 minutes I’m angry or whatever. It’s just to make sure we have a chance to win the second half – that’s what we did and all fine.

On whether Origi had done something to convince him he deserved to start…

Nothing really special. Divock is a great guy, that’s how it is, and in 10 years’ time when we look back he will be a Liverpool legend, but he is too young to be already seen as a legend now so he has to play football. To be 100 per cent honest, of course I thought he would maybe leave in the summer, but the football world is a crazy place and people obviously forgot how good he is. I said it, it is really difficult to get into this team. That’s just how it is and I have to decide about different positions, who I bring on, how I want to react before a game. That’s why Div was not in, he did nothing wrong. He trains, he gives everything and sometimes you still don’t make it into the squad. That really can happen, especially when everybody is fit. But for tonight he was the right player to do it and he did really well. He was not injured, he had cramps, that’s normal and so now let’s see. It’s just nice, I’m really happy I could give him the opportunity and that he used it like he did.

here

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
Again blaming attacking players for defensive mistakes, does not make sense regardless of how many goals have been scored [or haven't]. the mistakes happened in the defensive third of the pitch individually and collectively, not because of lack of efficiency in front of goal.

Any side worth their salt as I said, will take whatever you give them, [if you do it over and over again] and punish you if they get a chance to do so. Salzburg are miles off this MIlan side, but we were up 3-0 against them, played brilliantly, took our chances, and they got back into the game for the same reason Milan got back into the game. So the forwards werent the blame on the day of that match, like they aren't today, you have to do your job on both ends of the pitch.

The Salzburg game is very much the exception though. How many other times have we gone 3 up in a European game and the result has been in question?

I’m not blaming attacking players for defensive mistakes. I’m just making the point that if we can start turning 1 into 2 a bit quicker then we”ll win more games more quickly.

Online Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
What a game.  Imagine missing out on nights like this.  This is why the team fought so hard to get into this competition again at the end of last season.  A few top performances but gotta say Salah is just incredible.  It will be hard for him to top the numbers he produced in his first season with us (cause they were just crazy numbers) but he is a complete player now.  He just does everything as such a high level.  Great to see Gomez back out there.  Also what a strike from Henderson as well  :o

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
Thoroughly enjoyed that - it was great to back at the game.  The Kop was like a sauna  ;D
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
Captain's goal! Go HENDO!
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Games are coming thick and fast now, not to mention internationals. nice to see us able to play such a strong line up. played some quick decisive football. got the result we deserved. brilliant winner by Henderson. Alexandra Arnold outstanding. poor lad ran himself into the ground by the end of the match.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 12:46:57 am by oldfordie »
Chris Bryant

It feels as if the major from Fawlty Towers has taken over the Tory campaign.
10:42 PM · May 25, 2024
·

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
After the first 15 minutes Kessiι must have been thinking I'm not signing up for that shit. Better off signing a new contract at AC than work at that level of intensity for us.

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
That is why we're getting Bissouma in the summer.  8)

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
That was Divocks 323rd appearance in total, who'd have thought that

Henderson at last has his Gerrard shooting moment after all those over bar blasts
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Good win that, should have been more and really surprising how we went in at half time behind. Throughout the whole game we were really good, bar that spell at the end of the half. Milan weren't very good, hopefully they can take a few points off Atletico and Porto, though.

Great to have Gomez back, another big Champions League performance from him. Fabinho was outstanding again, and in general everyone performed well. Awesome goal from Henderson to win it.

Porto away should be a tricky game, but if we can win there we'd be in an excellent position. Palace at the weekend another big game which we should be winning.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
That Ante Rebic. Nobody likes him? According to Wikipedia, could play on both wings, as well as a second striker. Think he'll do well in future for himself. I wish him well.
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
There is a genuine lack of understanding of what goes on a football pitch based on the ht thread. Before I even get into that, the criticisms of the line up are beyond baffling. We have 3 centerbacks coming back from serious injury, why would anyone be surprised that they aren't going to play 3 games in 8 days?

The midfield generally always gets rotated [and it's not like we put in our u18s ffs, henderson and keita came in]. The only surprise is Origi.

Now having said that, the reason we conceded 2 goals in the first half [contrary to popular belief] isn't because Salah missed a penalty or because Origi played. It's strictly down to being reckless and sloppy individually and collectively defensively, pressing and compactness went away after a relatively great 25 minutes. Anyside worth their salt, will create a chance let alone score a goal if play in such a manner.  Now this is very rare for us when we are at our best, we don't often lose control like that but we have. [Salzburg at Anfield 2 seasons back, we were clinical, took a 3-1 or 3-0 lead and it was 3-3 for the same reason Milan scored 2 goals in the first half].

So, even if you score 4 or 5 goals, that doesn't prevent you from conceding goals when you play poorly defensively on the other end.

Anyone arguing otherwise, is watching a different sport. Milan were no better than what I thought they would be going in, no where near us, but we allowed them back into the match because of the mad 10 minute spell.

We rectified the mistakes in the 2nd half, responded well, and won the game ultimately. Salah  missed a penalty but he was sensational. Origi for all the critics he has, did well enough to contribute and impact the game, more so than Jota on the night for instance.

3 points, while Atletico and porto dropped points.

spot on!

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
State of some Liverpool fans to get on Salah's back when he missed the penalty...  :(  :(
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Well I enjoyed it. Dominant but also exciting due to the poor finish to the first half, but I never doubted us coming back, we were by far the better team.

Thought Mo was excellent, and Fabinho was Fabinho. Also thought Curtis looked really lively when he came on, looks creative and has got a goal in him.

3 points. Great start.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
Get in! What a match! What a night!
Believer

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
State of some Liverpool fans to get on Salah's back when he missed the penalty...  :(  :(
Have to admit. Wasn't one of his best penalties. 

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
The Salzburg game is very much the exception though. How many other times have we gone 3 up in a European game and the result has been in question?

I’m not blaming attacking players for defensive mistakes. I’m just making the point that if we can start turning 1 into 2 a bit quicker then we”ll win more games more quickly.

very rare, my point was, that even in a game when you take your chacnes like we did that night, and play brilliantly, if you start being sloppy, you'll be punished. which we did. same here.

Offline Red Cactii

• Legacy Fan
  • An absolute p***k
Cracking game between two European heavyweights, probably should’ve been out of sight before Milan scored their first but it is what it is. Good to see a little squad rotation not stop us from winning, even better that Atletico and Porto played out a 0-0 in the other match in the group.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
Have to admit. Wasn't one of his best penalties.
He will go either way and just hit hard. He doesn't try and place it. It very hard to stop when you hit it hard and are unpredictable.
https://twitter.com/SamMcGuire90/status/1438221002710917124

Offline Hash91

• Anny Roader
Kloppo has a great way with words.

here

So well put by the Man Himself!

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
He will go either way and just hit hard. He doesn't try and place it. It very hard to stop when you hit it hard and are unpredictable.
https://twitter.com/SamMcGuire90/status/1438221002710917124
It was almost dead centre. Poor.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
That Ante Rebic. Nobody likes him? According to Wikipedia, could play on both wings, as well as a second striker. Think he'll do well in future for himself. I wish him well.
That guy impressed me. So silky.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
What a brilliant game. Had a bit of the PSG game vibe to it - we dominated but then looked like we might not get what we needed from it.

That said, I was absolutely certain this team in that atmosphere was going to win from 1-2 down.

Delighted with how Origi and Curtis played coming into the team.

Diaz for AC was really impressive and they defended stoutly considering they were completely under the kosh.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
I didn't read the HT thread, but I can imagine how it looked like after that mad end to the first half. Why would anyone go into the HT thread and expect thoughtful, balanced analysis? You go there to vent or you don't go there at all.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
I don’t have much to say about last nights game, apart from that I was thoroughly entertained by it all.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
What a great match and result in the end. Boss atmosphere and everyone I was at Anfield with enjoyed it.
You could see things getting sloppy before they scored and the second was a proper shock. To go in behind after 30 mins where AC Milan did not know what hit them was mad. Happily an early goal from Mo settled things down and the rest of the half went as the script said it should.
The atmosphere scared Milan shitless, good players stopped thinking for half an hour.
Well done all.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Fantastic game. The fans were superb. Love the fact that when Salah missed the penalty, the crowd didn't stop signing his song. One of the best atmosphere's I can remember - with or without covid.

Now, outside of some minutes in either half, Liverpool completely dominated the game. The score flatters Milan, as it was never as close as the score suggest. We've been wasteful in the other games as well, so that is something to improve on; but the chances are created, which would be much more worrying if was missing. We all know these players can be clinical when in sync.

Loved the game, a proper old fashioned Liverpool CL performance. Looking forward to the next one.

:champ
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
Good player, turns 28 soon and in his absolute prime, producing his best ever football since he’s moved to Milan as part of the absolute swindle that was the Andre Silva deal. He works hard, is technically decent and more than likely is too old for Liverpool to look at now.

I must say Origi produced a pivotal moment last night and it was nice to see him involved in a meaningful way. I was a detractor in the summer and largely still think his personal career flourishes with a move, but he stepped in and did a good job last night. Very open to having my opinion changed if he’s involved more and produces consistent performances.

My Grandad went to the game last night, his first in about 5 years and he said he’s not seen or felt the crowd like that since the title run of 2009.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
That guy impressed me. So silky.

Me too,people say he's a donkey but the guy is determined,strong as a bull and a tough customer to handle.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 07:32:39 am by Tobelius »

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I didn't read the HT thread, but I can imagine how it looked like after that mad end to the first half. Why would anyone go into the HT thread and expect thoughtful, balanced analysis? You go there to vent or you don't go there at all.

No you go in there to stay calm and say we'll win this. Instead it was whining about not buying a striker and it's divocks fault.

Never mind new signings we need to replace some fucking "supporters"
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Wyl

• Legacy Fan
What a game. What a crowd. It looked like everyone in the ground, team included, were enjoying themselves being back at Anfield for a proper European night. That mad end to the first half then comeback to go on and win it felt somehow fitting and made it even more special.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I think you are referring to a different player. Diaz was cutting through our lines at will when they had possession. We stopped that by playing a measured 2nd half. We could do that because we got our goals fairly early. Imagine had we been chasing the game or the winner in the last 20. It could've gone chaotic and opened up spaces for both teams.

Not at all, he looks like a fairly industrious player, and fairly strong for his size. But what I saw from him was that he still had problems with his decision making, and he kept on putting himself into trouble running into tight spaces. There are plenty of players like him in this world, but to find one with a decent end product is not easy.

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
No you go in there to stay calm and say we'll win this. Instead it was whining about not buying a striker and it's divocks fault.

Never mind new signings we need to replace some fucking "supporters"

Is right
Believer

Offline Gray Hamster

• Not bong eyed but quite fond of little furry things.....
  • Legacy Fan
Funny reading an AC Milan forum with many posters saying they were “unlucky” not to get a result and deserved at least a draw, had it not been for a long range effort. Many also saying they are not far behind us at all in standard. 

Unless my eyes are playing funny games the 3 -2 was freakish and very flattering for them.  They should not have been surprised if it finished 9-2, they were completely dominated for 80 minutes.

They’re many years and levels away from the top top teams.   Foolish to think otherwise.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Been some huge games to start this tournament:

Inter v Real - 16 European Cups between them.
Liverpool v Milan - 13 European Cups between them.
Barca v Bayern - 11 European Cups between them.

Man City v RB Leipzig - some nice inflatable bananas.

;D

The game itself was a great watch,  good atmosphere.  Milan don't have the resources to match us these days,  but can still put out competently coached sides with decent players.  Feels like a 2005 role reversal.