Author Topic: CL: Liverpool 3 vs 2 AC Milan Tomori OG ‘9. Rebid ‘42 Diaz ‘44 Mo ‘48 Hendo ‘69  (Read 20314 times)

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
We're the only team from our group who didn't drop points!

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
Brilliant to see the fans back in Anfield for a big Champions League night. Thought we were impressive overall, albeit with the usual profligacy which needs addressed. Divock had a great game which fully justified his starting. Lovely assist. Great to have Gomez back as well - looked rusty at times but the 90 minutes will have done him wonders. Get in, Reds!

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
Now that was a good game! Sometimes, you need ups and downs in a game to spice things up a bit. Can't be winning 2-0, 3-0, 3-1 all the time. It becomes "routine".

We really got some welps, don't we? I knew this was highly likely to turn around and then this manufactured "disaster" was going to look like nothing.
We had been- and started out too good.

"Team with a few key players on the bench performing well, but not too clinical and allowing a few goals"- shocker!
Now, there's a "surprise"..
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 10:06:48 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Online Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
Lovely
YNWA

Offline unknownuser

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
We sure love a comeback against Milan. Only matchday 1 so 3 points will do. Up the mighty redmen.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Became a classic due to our own undoing. Anyway, that was some intense experience watching the game, because as much as Milan let us play a bit, they always had it to play between our lines as well. Brahim Diaz was a handful.

I don't think Origi deserved criticism that he got at HT. He had a decent game. Jota didn't have a great game as well. Our midfield wasn't bad as such, but it did switch off at times. We controlled the second half better. Hendo wasn't good, it was a continuation of a poor cameo against Leeds. But then, when he comes up with that, what can you say! I celebrated that goal like I hadn't in a long time.

Gomez needs to do better. There's so much faith in him, but he played his part in both goals conceded. He did win a couple of headers in the box. The frustrating thing is he has all the ingredients of a good defender, he needs to iron these errors out.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
We rotated the team, made all 5 second half subs and basically dominated for all but 3 minutes of the game.  Really disappointing to read a lot of the comments here and the HT thread that basically have no context to them.

On to Palace.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jόrgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
Exciting, but needlessly so. First 40 mins Milan were beyond dreadful, and Liverpool were excellent if profligate. From about 30 mins on, Liverpool stepped off the pace and tried controlling the game, sitting deeper and playing back more. The only problem was our midfield was set up to attack with a very high press, and it left space in behind and exposed Fabino to a LOT of work. The fact he was quietly brilliant lulled the rest of the team into a false sense of security and eventually he was overloaded. The chances came and Liverpool were picked off. I felt the second goal was about panic for Liverpool and momentum for Milan.

At halftime I said I had hoped to see a holding midfielder come on to exert more control and help the back 4 and Fabino. That, I guess, is the difference between a top class manager and a nervous fan (OGS anyone?) Instead Klopp said "it worked peachy for 40 mins, we go again. And so Liverpool did, brilliantly winning the game. I said after the Chelsea game (which I was personally disappointed Liverpool drew) that I felt there were a handful of pivotal games in the league that made the difference by the end of the year.

Well, this feels like a pivotal game in Europe. Instead of demonstrating Liverpool's dominance it showcased something very vital, Liverpool's fight. You win jack without fight, no matter how good you are, and this was brilliant (and intimidating) to see.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 10:14:20 pm by DonkeyWan »
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Big couple of away games now.

If we could get a result against Porto then it will look healthy.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online Beninger

• Legacy Fan
Should have been 5-0, but I don’t care. At all.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
Klopp picking up a screaming Thiago :lmao :lmao :lmao

Sounds like the perfect Saturday night to me.
#JFT97

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
What a game.

How good was Trent?

The Hendo goal, sublime.

So happy that the crowds are back and that everyone got to see and celebrate the return to European Footie and us topping the group.

AC Milan did quite well, and I like many others were stressed out but it feels so good now.

UP THE MIGHTY REDS!
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
At halftime I said I had hoped to see a holding midfielder come on to exert more control and help the back 4 and Fabino. That, I guess, is the difference between a top class manager and a nervous fan (OGS anyone?) Instead Klopp said "it worked peachy for 40 mins, we go again. And so Liverpool did, brilliantly winning the game. I said after the Chelsea (which I was personally disappointed Liverpool drew) that I felt there were a handful of pivotal games in the league that made the difference by the end of the year.

Well, this feels like a pivotal game in Europe. Instead of demonstrating Liverpool's dominance it showcased something very vital, Liverpool's fight. You win jack without fight, no matter how good you are, and this was brilliant (and intimidating) to see.

We're pretty much totally reliant on Fabinho for that function, but he's top class in what he does.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
Fabinho absolutely incredible.

Gomez and Henderson looked rusty

Trent does great things, but he gave the ball away far too much

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Told ye there was a lot of football to be played ;-) I'm quite uneasy that I'm now a level headed "let's stay calm lads" poster but, hey ho the pandemic has changed us all!

I dunno why but that was never in doubt for me. We were fucking insanely amazing for the first 35 and I knew we could turn it on again and we did. That was mental but I really enjoyed it.

The ball from Origi for the 2nd was fucking immense. And what a winner and what a man to get it.

Some brilliant moments in the match and brilliant moments off the ball, like Kloppo lifting up Thiago when the winner went in. Brilliant to have the Champions League back and even better to have fans back.

Last time we won the opener 3-2 we won it. Number 7 here we come.

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
Thought we didn't put a foot wrong till the end of the first half. Energetic, smart, intelligent passes just still lacking some cutting edge when we needed it most but I thought we were so so unlucky to be losing.

Little bit too much midfield space for them to work the triangles to create their 2nd goal but they pulled it off very well so fair play.

Some lovely pinged passes from Matip into the wings and front line to keep the momentum going during the 2nd half. Thought he was very solid again tonight
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Unbeaten and early on in the season to get these things out of our system. Mad game and we made hard work of it but 3 points, next.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
What a wonderful, special game. Worthy of Anfield and of the European Royalty that both teams embody.

Savour this. No other supporters get these nights, let alone this often.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline Red-Dread

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Gomez needs to do better. There's so much faith in him, but he played his part in both goals conceded. He did win a couple of headers in the box. The frustrating thing is he has all the ingredients of a good defender, he needs to iron these errors out.

It's his first start in how long? Give him a break the guy is a class act

Good night to have my first beer in months I must say :)
first ever avatar..... ben(d)oak

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
what a great game of football. great result , certainly wasnt as easy as i thought was going to be , after first 20 mins 

Offline oxenstierna

• Legacy Fan
The yellow card then winning a free kick a minute later was classic Milner

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
A good game for the neutral, and as usual frayed nerves in here. ;D

Just goes to show, Milan are still a dangerous team who can ruthlessly punish a team that switches off. They don't hand out points for playing great football, but that was a deserved win for us.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline palimpsest

• Kopite

I don't know what Gomez was supposed to do for the goals, especially the second one. I don't think we can blame any one player. We did what we usually do when we concede--let Milan have way too much space, and more crucially, time on the ball. There was no pressure and it cost us.
We had dreams and songs to sing...

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
what a great game of football. great result , certainly wasnt as easy as i thought was going to be , after first 20 mins 

Genuinely thought we'd be trying to beat our Beşiktaş record after the first 15 or 20.

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Others will comment better on the whole game than I can, so I'll just say this

Is there anywhere a better closer of games than James Milner?

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
Very good performance but as ever we make it harder and more tense than it needs to

Offline calvin

• Anny Roader
Ferdinand on BT Sports is raging. Especially after the shite Ole served up yesterday. Looks like he'd rather be anywhere else. This is European Royalty. Love it.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfόnfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
I don't know what Gomez was supposed to do for the goals, especially the second one. I don't think we can blame any one player. We did what we usually do when we concede--let Milan have way too much space, and more crucially, time on the ball. There was no pressure and it cost us.

I think it was more that he was the one playing them onside more than anything. The first one for sure he should have done better.

But it was his first competitive start after a really bad injury. He will be fine, but it will take him a little time to get rid of all them cobwebs!

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
Reminds me of the PSG game when Bobby got the winner. Just an entertaining game of football, don't read any more in to it than that.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
I thought Diaz was excellent for them.

Yes thought that too. Once they started getting past our midfield after around 30 minutes, they had space and looked dangerous and it eventually cost us but thankfully we plugged that in the second half.

Deserved win though, it's so much fun (and a little but frustrating on occasion) watching us :)
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I thought Joe Gomez had a good game. His first start in nearly a year, so he needed to get this game out of the way.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
There is a weird subconscious thing when you miss a penalty when you’re ahead though, that makes you think it will come back to haunt you.

I wonder how the game would have played out had we gone 2 up early.

Still, we know the history of this fixture. 3-0 can be a dangerous lead.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I don't like to comment in half time threads but Origi was getting scapegoated in there for some reason! Had a good game did the lad.

Milan were lucky to hold on during that dominant start by us but we shouldn't have conceded 2 goals so easily, however we deserved the win in an exciting game. Would have loved to be at Anfield. Everything footy should be about. Ref had a good game too.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
Fabinho absolutely incredible.

Gomez and Henderson looked rusty

Trent does great things, but he gave the ball away far too much

I thought Trent looked a bit fucked towards the end but understandable.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
Gave my seat to my nephew as a birthday treat.....hope the little twat remembers what Gin I drink
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
I thought Joe Gomez had a good game. His first start in nearly a year, so he needed to get this game out of the way.

Jones and Origi getting minutes too is a bonus, near enough everyone has been in a game this season so early on.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Mad game which I’m glad we won in the end! Thought Trent and Keita had poor second halves, Fab boss as ever.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
I’d honestly have no problem just keeping Milly until he’s 50 for games like that, just come on, few dirty fouls and then into the corner to buy a few minutes
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
Others will comment better on the whole game than I can, so I'll just say this

Is there anywhere a better closer of games than James Milner?
Someone on Twitter said Liverpool matches are not allowed to end until Milner gets a yellow card : )

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Other than the five minute brain fart that was outstanding. But it wouldn’t be Liverpool in Europe if it was nice and straightforward. It’s what makes our home so special.

Trent is getting better and better. His dribbling is coming on leaps and bounds.

Special mention to Curtis Jones when he came on. I was a little underwhelmed how he ended the last campaign (appreciate he’s still very young), but that was a nice cameo. His strengths are almost better suited to the front line. I think he’d make a decent 10 in a 4-2-3-1.

What a group to be drawn in. We get another five matches like this, bring it on