Author Topic: Clarkson's Farm  (Read 6523 times)

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Clarkson's Farm
« on: June 11, 2021, 10:20:08 pm »
It's not about cars and I know hes not everyone's cup of tea but Clarksons new show - Clarksons Farm is really, really good. It's on prime. Possibly the best thing I've watched this year.
Have watched 5 so far and forced myself to turn it off so I had some left over. Some of the scenes with the sheep  and lambs are quite moving.
Some of the summer scenes are beautiful, it's a lovely part of the country. He owns a huge tract if land.Hes a lucky man. Oh and he happens to have a beautiful girlfriend.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 11:50:05 am by Nitramdorf »

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Clarkson's Farm
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 05:19:31 pm »
It's not about cars and I know hes not everyone's cup of tea but Clarksons new show - Clarksons Farm is really, really good. It's on prime. Possibly the best thing I've watched this year.
Have watched 5 so far and forced myself to turn it off so I had some left over. Some of the scenes with the sheep  and lambs are quite moving.
Some of the summer scenes are beautiful, it's a lovely part of the country. He owns a huge tract if land.Hes a lucky man. Oh and he happens to have a beautiful girlfriend.

Was about to post the same
I’m fascinated by how much work goes into farming. Them explaining what it costs per acre and what yield they get

Also fascinating to listen to the insect population due to farming and what clarkson is trying to do to rectify that. Wilding across his farm and the bees and the ponds etc etc etc

I know most on here think he’s a Tory twat, but I think this show is fantastic. There’s a lot of over the top stuff but also a massive human element, especially with the sheep and owls and him being a lover of birds and setting owl boxes across his property

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 07:15:45 pm »

Watched the first two episodes last night and thought it was fantastic. Had to laugh when his OTT tractor broke down and all the instructions were in either Italian, German or French. And I never knew sheep could jump over walls!

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 07:29:56 pm »
Kaleb is so like the farming kids I went to school with it’s untrue….

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 07:27:55 pm »
Is Gerald a paid actor?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 08:56:19 pm »
Is Gerald a paid actor?
I come from the countryside (although a different bit).  Some of those who work on farms genuinely never go further than the nearest town and spend most of the time just with a few people.  They can be very difficult to understand

Whilst they’ve used him for comic effect, he seems very very genuine to me.  As does Kaleb.  I went to school with people so like him it’s funny
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 10:18:05 pm »
Enjoying it a lot. My Grandfather was a farmer not far from where it’s set. I used to love going out with him to feed the animals and check crops. As a series it brings a lot of great memories back including the lambing season, which is both a beautiful and harsh time of year.

I’d echo Tepid re some of the characters in this. My grandpa never really had holidays and was helped by two men in particular who only ever worked for him and were born and lived their whole lives within 20 miles of the farm. One had a Robin Reliant!  Both took some time to get used to how they’d talk!

The machinery was less complex as I remember though and one of the guys was able to fix anything!

Health and safety is also different now. I remember ‘playing’ in grain sheds and jumping off piles of bails. How we didn’t get hurt I don’t know. The worst injury I had was scratches from an angry cockerel!

It’s a lot of hard work but I think if you love the life there’s little better. Shame our current govt seem set on making life for our farmers harder and harder!
"We come here for the winning!"

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 11:35:44 pm »
Gerald and Kaleb have the same surname, Cooper, I noticed on the credits. Must be his grandad.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2021, 11:36:56 pm »
Gerald and Kaleb have the same surname, Cooper, I noticed on the credits. Must be his grandad.

Or his wife.

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2021, 07:33:50 am »

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2021, 07:01:47 pm »
Could be both.

Quite enjoying the farm thing. Clarkson's a twat obviously, but he comes across as vaguely sincere in this and knows how to make good tv.

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2021, 10:26:55 am »
Could be both.

Quite enjoying the farm thing. Clarkson's a twat obviously, but he comes across as vaguely sincere in this and knows how to make good tv.

Its the typical Clarkson fare for me, he has something he doesn't really know about, he'll give it a go, usually fail, then get somebody in to sort it, then the end scene of something oddly amusing......tears for my dead sheep, oh this is a tasty lasagne...….

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2021, 03:16:29 pm »
The star of the show for me was Charlie, his encyclopedic knowledge of all things farming is amazing.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2021, 06:05:57 pm »
Kaleb for the comedy and Charlie for his knowledge does it for me. I wish I could understand what Gerald was talking about though.

Great series actually.

Offline jonkrux

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2021, 09:23:44 pm »
I'm on episode 3. It's great.

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2021, 09:47:16 pm »
It's better than Grand Tour, at any rate. ;D

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2021, 08:18:49 pm »
Clarkson. Farming life. On paper it shouldn't work. However it does. It's absolutely brilliant.

Beautiful location. Likeable cast. It genuinely made me feel good after the final episode.

Must watch.

Offline Nitramdorf

• Legacy Fan

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2021, 03:30:34 pm »
Still up in the air whether there will be a second season. I normally don't like Clarkson, but he was at times sincere in this and I quite enjoyed it, some good moments and genuinely heartwarming in places.

The residents of Chaddington are so like the community I grew up in it's hilarious. So resistant to any change or mild disruption to the peace. I grew up in the City in South Liverpool until age 8, then moved out to a heavily rural community in Cheshire, in the middle of nowhere, so can sort of understand why Clarkson is both at odds with and fascinated by the rural life.

There is a man in the village I grew up in, who has not left the confines of the village since he went on a school trip to Liverpool in the 1960s. He is in his late 60s and has only ever been in the village since (which has an extortionately priced farm shop, tea rooms, a couple of pubs and nothing else) and lives in a cottage on the farm he grew up on. That's why I found Caleb's story about going to London but not leaving the coach hilarious, because there truly are people like this about. This bloke has the same routine he has had for the last 50 years - get up, work the farm, on a Friday he goes to the same pub, at the weekends he assists the shoot. It's almost a village legend, his refusal to leave the area for anything whatsoever. In his eyes, the village has everything he needs and is perfect. I suppose it's nice he's content with just that.

I'd quite like to see another season, it's clearly a beautiful place to live and brings back fond memories of growing up in the countryside and how beautiful it could be. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 03:44:17 pm by Drinks Sangria »
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2021, 09:27:25 am »
I suppose most of the humour came from Clarkson finding out about the processes and red tape. It'd be diminishing returns if you're just watching him do farming having now gained experience.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2021, 03:41:32 pm »
I suppose most of the humour came from Clarkson finding out about the processes and red tape. It'd be diminishing returns if you're just watching him do farming having now gained experience.
I think there's enough breadth with farming to get another season out of it, I'm not sure how much more content they could salvage after that.

Spoiler
It's a bit misleading at the end - he only makes Ł144 profit or whatever. They neglected to mention the EU subsidies, The Single Payments schemes and FCG money that they no doubt will have accessed if they've their heads screwed on - the EU money alone would have been around Ł200 an acre, so Ł200k over his entire farm, not bad for a year's work. However, of course, this is coming to a rather abrupt end shortly so I can understand them framing it in such a way - to show how hard it is for a farmer who doesn't get the grants to make money. I suppose it also suggests (albeit an actual farmer wouldn't waste nearly as much money as he would) that farming isn't as profitable as it maybe should be given the lifestyle you have to lead. Having said all that, every farmer I know is rocking round in Defenders or brand new Discoverys, with all new equipment on their farms and are in the local restaurants and pubs most nights.
[close]
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2021, 03:44:47 pm »

I think there is loads he could explore yet, and even seeing his continued experiences and if he can make more of a success of it, would be interesting in itself.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2021, 10:39:37 pm »
I really don't like Clarkson but people in work and my daughter talked me in to this and it is excellent.

The characters are absolutely brilliant..

And the dosh he throws at everything to make a show of it is amusing also.

Highly recommended.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2021, 12:34:21 am »
I really don't like Clarkson but people in work and my daughter talked me in to this and it is excellent.

The characters are absolutely brilliant..

And the dosh he throws at everything to make a show of it is amusing also.

Highly recommended.

Yeah, RAWK in general despises him for various reasons. He’s gone a bit stale on the grand tour, and I can understand people not liking him over his overall demeanour. However I think he makes great TV and this is one of the best series I’ve watched in a while. Like I said earlier, I love the human elements and also working on a farm is fucking hard work 😂.

The characters are just spot on.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2021, 08:27:03 am »
Is this like a docusoap type programme then or is it just Clarkson taking the piss out of everyone as usual?

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2021, 08:55:23 am »
I come from the countryside (although a different bit).  Some of those who work on farms genuinely never go further than the nearest town and spend most of the time just with a few people.  They can be very difficult to understand

Whilst they’ve used him for comic effect, he seems very very genuine to me.  As does Kaleb.  I went to school with people so like him it’s funny
I worked on farms when i was younger and its probably the most enjoyable job ive had. The family who owned the farms were basically like what you said. The lads all married girls from close by and the parents were linked to other farms or dairies through marriage. They didnt venture out of the place they lived

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2021, 08:58:57 am »
Is this like a docusoap type programme then or is it just Clarkson taking the piss out of everyone as usual?
Bit of both I'd say, bit he also takes the piss out of himself a fair bit, and their are others on the show who rip into him loads. Didn't think it would be something I'd like (never really liked Clarkson or Top Gear, aside from some of the specials) but I'd strongly recommend it to anyone.

Give it a go, you may be very pleasantly surprised.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2021, 10:05:25 am »
Bit of both I'd say, bit he also takes the piss out of himself a fair bit, and their are others on the show who rip into him loads. Didn't think it would be something I'd like (never really liked Clarkson or Top Gear, aside from some of the specials) but I'd strongly recommend it to anyone.

Give it a go, you may be very pleasantly surprised.

Thanks mate I will do.

Having grown up in rural Lancashire and spending most of my primary school years helping out (playing) at the farm across the road I can probably relate to most of it.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2021, 11:00:02 am »
I worked on farms when i was younger and its probably the most enjoyable job ive had. The family who owned the farms were basically like what you said. The lads all married girls from close by and the parents were linked to other farms or dairies through marriage. They didnt venture out of the place they lived
Yep…

It’s almost an ethnic group because they are sometimes so insular….
W

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2021, 11:56:53 am »
Yep…

It’s almost an ethnic group because they are sometimes so insular….
That is literally how I would liken it, genuinely. I miss my village where I grew up because it was beautiful and peaceful and felt idyllic as a kid, but I don't miss the farmers thinking you're a flash bastard for wearing a pair of Gazelles in the pub, or standing out because you're the only one there not dressed in a check shirt, tweed trousers and a schoffel.

The local free house only has one lager on tap and two ales, but four different types of cider because that's what the farming and shooting crowd drink. It makes me smile to think about really.

My mates aren't full on farmers, though most still live with family on smallholdings and haven't moved out yet (approaching late 20s so not yet strange) and most of them don't like leaving the village. You suggest a restaurant in Chester 20 minutes away and it's 'why not go the pub in the village?' and god forbid I offer a night out in Liverpool. I was asking round earlier for whether anyone would go the upcoming Joshua fight - 'too much mither would rather watch it at my house. You can watch it here if you like etc'
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 11:58:59 am by Drinks Sangria »

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2021, 03:30:38 pm »
Thanks mate I will do.

Having grown up in rural Lancashire and spending most of my primary school years helping out (playing) at the farm across the road I can probably relate to most of it.

I grew up in a Lancashire town where the “young farmers” went every year for a piss up. Christ they were big bastards and as strong as an ox. The local police and bouncers never bothered them, let them sort their own issues out 😂

Great bunch of lads that just drank like fish all weekend

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2021, 03:35:14 pm »
Just finished watching this, is a good watch and quite amusing in places.  Actually learnt a few things as well!!!

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2021, 03:40:35 pm »
I grew up in a Lancashire town where the “young farmers” went every year for a piss up. Christ they were big bastards and as strong as an ox. The local police and bouncers never bothered them, let them sort their own issues out 😂

Great bunch of lads that just drank like fish all weekend

We had a monthly young farmers disco at the village hall and you can understand term "built like a barn side".

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2021, 06:06:04 pm »
Omg I'm crying laughing at Gerald.  I thought Barnsley speak was hard to understand but I don't think I've understood a word he's said 😂

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2021, 06:38:59 pm »
A second series has been announced.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2021, 07:47:12 pm »
A second series has been announced.

Good. So much more to explore. Was a no brainier to commission a second series

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2021, 07:48:12 pm »
Omg I'm crying laughing at Gerald.  I thought Barnsley speak was hard to understand but I don't think I've understood a word he's said 😂

It is good, no 👍

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2021, 07:50:37 pm »
It is good, no 👍

Yeah it's hilarious mate 😂

What part of lancs are you from then?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2021, 09:45:56 pm »
He needs his own show  ;D