Author Topic: Yugoslavian Football Appreciation Thread  (Read 11645 times)

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
Re: Yugoslavian Football Appreciation Thread
« Reply #120 on: June 30, 2021, 09:20:34 am »
We often forget that Ibrahimovic, even though he was born in Sweden, also has Bosnian citizenship and passport. He would have probably chosen to play for Yugoslavia ...
He's often said he feels more connected to his Bosnian heritage than that of his Swedish upbringing - he faced a lot of xenophobia and straight up racism in Sweden growing up. I suppose that contributed to the hard edge he has now. His autobiography is a decent read if you can get past the cringey quotes.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: June 30, 2021, 11:14:40 am »
Bosnia ballsed up the chance to have Ibrahimovic play for them, the FA asked his father to pay them, so he could be called up.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: June 30, 2021, 07:36:58 pm »
I remember people saying Shanks had to learn how to play to win in Europe as opposed to in England, maybe it was after this game but not sure.
I always understood it was. The Boot Room decided we had to learn to press like the Eastern European teams did. And later I always understood it was Joe Fagan who figured that if we wanted to press as well as they did, we couldn't just do it for a couple of games a season,when they were doing it in their leagues week after week - we had to do the same, even if we suffered while we learnt how to do it. Most teams would have said, no, we'll do it a bit, that'll be ok. But we said, we want to be the best, we want to be the most feared opponents in the world, we'll do what it takes, we'll do it till we are better than anybody at it.
And we did, and are still reaping the rewards of that bravery.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2021, 03:07:47 pm »
Lack of emerging talents for the most part across the region.

Vlahovic aside, Macedonia's Elmas [who plays for Napoli] may be one to look out for.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2021, 03:47:50 pm »
Elmas looks quality, I'd second that.

Croatia have a few worth keeping an eye on, Gvardiol being one.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2021, 03:50:26 pm »
That lad Defacto is pretty shite too.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2021, 03:53:56 pm »
That lad Defacto is pretty shite too.

I second that

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2021, 05:59:27 pm »
Oblak
Srna
Jarni
Vidic
Mihajlovic
Modric
Stojkovic
Prosinecki
Boban
Savicevic
Suker

Bench : Pancev, Susic, Mijatovic, Stankovic, Jugovic...

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2021, 06:11:48 pm »
All time side

Oblak

Simic
Vasovic
Mihajlovic
Jarni

Modric
Boban
Jugovic

Prosinecki
Dzeko
Dzajic

Jugovic but no Safet Susic? What the what?? Shame on you buddy  :P

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2021, 07:33:06 pm »

Too many attacking midfielders to choose from and he annoys me  ;D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2021, 02:05:41 am »
Inter may be the first team that I can recall to have a Bosnian,Croatian,Serbian and Slovenian players in their squad at once :D  Dzeko and Kolarov reunited for the 3rd time in their careers :D

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2021, 09:24:02 am »
was he the one who missed a really awful penalty against Argentina in 1990?

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #132 on: September 22, 2021, 10:39:57 am »
was he the one who missed a really awful penalty against Argentina in 1990?

No.

He was actually a bit before my time but what opened my eyes was Savicevic and few other big stars intimating in some interviews that Safet was one hell of a player.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: September 22, 2021, 11:19:11 am »
No.

He was actually a bit before my time but what opened my eyes was Savicevic and few other big stars intimating in some interviews that Safet was one hell of a player.

Yeah he made PSG relevant who were an infant club whilst he played for them and helped them win their first league title in 85/86

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: September 22, 2021, 11:47:07 am »
No.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxE7JJNi7AI

Brnovic sorry about 1.50 here

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: September 23, 2021, 12:02:37 am »
Yeah he made PSG relevant who were an infant club whilst he played for them and helped them win their first league title in 85/86

Safet Sušić was a Rolls-Royce of a player. Frustrating sometimes, but a joy to watch most of the time ...

https://youtu.be/nOhVQOxvu-8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: September 26, 2021, 01:54:27 pm »
Dzeko, has started really well at Inter, 5 goals in the league already in 6 matches.

Since his move  to Italy, he's scored 124 goals, 56 assists in 267 matches.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: September 26, 2021, 05:26:45 pm »
What happened to the lads about 10 years ago the mancs signed 2 players who were made out to be the next highly rated superstars in the making?  Tosic and some other lad I forget the name of? ???

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: September 26, 2021, 05:32:18 pm »
What happened to the lads about 10 years ago the mancs signed 2 players who were made out to be the next highly rated superstars in the making?  Tosic and some other lad I forget the name of? ???

the other was Adem Ljajic, he couldn't get a permit at the time so he never played for them and the deal never went through. Tosic played most of his career in Russia afterwards, Ljajic has been decent in Italy for various clubs, but both average at best overall.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: September 26, 2021, 05:35:14 pm »
Ah yes Ljajic.  They were made out to be some kind of worldies in the making at the time mate. Maybe because the mancs bought them I don't know.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: September 26, 2021, 05:36:28 pm »
Ah yes Ljajic.  They were made out to be some kind of worldies in the making at the time mate. Maybe because the mancs bought them I don't know.

They were talented at that age group, as a lot of the younger players are, but ultimately no where near good enough for the highest level.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #141 on: September 26, 2021, 05:37:36 pm »
the other was Adem Ljajic, he couldn't get a permit at the time so he never played for them and the deal never went through. Tosic played most of his career in Russia afterwards, Ljajic has been decent in Italy for various clubs, but both average at best overall.

I heard the problem with Ljajic back in the day was that according to his Fiorentina boss at the time his diet consisted of chips and soda  ;D
Linudden.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: September 26, 2021, 05:41:23 pm »
I heard the problem with Ljajic back in the day was that according to his Fiorentina boss at the time his diet consisted of chips and soda  ;D

He's been questioned by various managers over things.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #143 on: September 27, 2021, 05:18:05 pm »
He's been questioned by various managers over things.
Also smacked around by some of those managers

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #144 on: September 27, 2021, 11:08:34 pm »
Bit like what happened with Halilovic I guess. Met a few times out in Zagreb and he was always off his rocker.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #145 on: September 27, 2021, 11:33:16 pm »
Dzeko, has started really well at Inter, 5 goals in the league already in 6 matches.

Thought he was always poorly utilized at City, despite some good seasons. Aguero was obviously a better goal scorer but Dzeko had much more to his game when it came to holding up play.

He has scored and assisted for fun, wherever he has been the main man. Even at Roma, his decline in numbers in the last few years has been more to do with the decline in the quality of players around him.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: September 28, 2021, 02:21:22 am »
Bit like what happened with Halilovic I guess. Met a few times out in Zagreb and he was always off his rocker.

Hahah thats hilarious. He's still only 25 but he's played for at least 10 different clubs by now

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: September 28, 2021, 02:22:00 am »
Thought he was always poorly utilized at City, despite some good seasons. Aguero was obviously a better goal scorer but Dzeko had much more to his game when it came to holding up play.

He has scored and assisted for fun, wherever he has been the main man. Even at Roma, his decline in numbers in the last few years has been more to do with the decline in the quality of players around him.

I agree. Wouldn't surprise me if he finishes with at least 15 goals in the league at this rate

Offline Careca9

• Main Stander
« Reply #148 on: October 20, 2021, 10:30:21 pm »
Apologies folks I only just got round to reading this thread and I have to say I loved it from 1st post To last, tremendous read about a part of the world I was always curious about and have visited but in real terms know nothing about. Thanks to all the inputters from Balkan region on this which has improved my knowledge on this - I do have one query, a player I always thought was a very good player but not a great one was Boban ( I sound like Eamonn dunphy so apologies), in games I saw him in he was good but not great but his reputation is of a great player, to a football idiot like me please tell me what I’m missing (video examples of great balkan players are always welcome!)

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: October 21, 2021, 02:40:04 pm »

been a big fan of Dzeko for many years, my favorite non Lfc player of last 10 years

Offline palimpsest

• Kopite
« Reply #150 on: May 2, 2022, 06:45:45 pm »
Resurrecting this thread to post this: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/may/02/ivica-osim-yugoslavian-football-coach-dies-aged-80

Ivica Osim, a legendary coach and a giant of Yugoslavian football, has passed away. He was the manager of the Yugoslav national team when the war broke out. The most enduring memory of him will always be the the press conference during which he resigned, weeping before the cameras, while his birth town of Sarajevo was being besieged and shelled.
We had dreams and songs to sing...

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: May 2, 2022, 07:07:22 pm »
Resurrecting this thread to post this: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/may/02/ivica-osim-yugoslavian-football-coach-dies-aged-80

Ivica Osim, a legendary coach and a giant of Yugoslavian football, has passed away. He was the manager of the Yugoslav national team when the war broke out. The most enduring memory of him will always be the the press conference during which he resigned, weeping before the cameras, while his birth town of Sarajevo was being besieged and shelled.

Sad news.

I had the honour of meeting him, and he was a very cool and intelligent fella. I don't remember him really as a player, but there is this anegdote about his playing days, with the commentator of Radio Sarajevo saying: "Osim has the ball. Until Osim loses the ball, listen to some music from our studio".

Rest in peace, legend ...

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #152 on: May 3, 2022, 11:29:57 am »
I literally can't remember Sukur at Arsenal.

Probably because it was Davor Suker?
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: May 3, 2022, 08:59:25 pm »
You both are wrong, it was Sugar
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #154 on: December 16, 2022, 02:50:49 pm »
Siniša Mihalović has died of leukaemia aged 53. An uncompromising midfielder I think we can generously call him, with a magic wand of a left foot at free kicks for Sampdoria and Lazio. I think he still has the record for most free kicks scored in Serie A.

Also got banned for racially abusing Patrick Vieira, spitting at a German in the 1998 World Cup, and his Controversies section of Wikipedia is quite long.

Still, lets enjoy him hitting some dingers

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_dD436WxehA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_dD436WxehA</a>
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 02:53:36 pm by Ray K »
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: December 16, 2022, 03:13:04 pm »
Wow! Didn't know he was ill.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: December 16, 2022, 04:01:06 pm »
Siniša Mihalović has died of leukaemia aged 53. An uncompromising midfielder I think we can generously call him, with a magic wand of a left foot at free kicks for Sampdoria and Lazio. I think he still has the record for most free kicks scored in Serie A.

Also got banned for racially abusing Patrick Vieira, spitting at a German in the 1998 World Cup, and his Controversies section of Wikipedia is quite long.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_dD436WxehA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_dD436WxehA</a>

Some absolute crackers in there!  What a strike he had on him!

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: December 16, 2022, 07:11:07 pm »
Rip mihajlovic

The hardest free kicks I’ve ever seen. He could hit them from anywhere and they would flash past the keeper.
Crazy temper, loose cannon, but an absolute left back machine with a hammer of a left foot

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: December 16, 2022, 07:40:05 pm »

My father passed away 4 weeks ago from the same thing, horrible thing to see someone wither away like that.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #159 on: December 17, 2022, 02:02:53 pm »
RIP