Author Topic: The Joe Biden Presidency Thread - 46th President of the United States  (Read 175422 times)

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Joe Biden Presidency Thread - 46th President of the United States
« Reply #480 on: February 6, 2021, 08:40:21 am »
As an ex president why would he received these anyway?  Is this a normal approach for ex presidents’?

Do ex presidents get these?

The Yanks are weird. Or is this some privy council thing?

Providing former presidents these briefings is partially out of courtesy, but also because former presidents can remain involved in significant foreign policy matters. Before a former president engages on an issue, it is necessary that they understand current U.S. foreign policy objectives along with sensitive background information on the person, institution, or nation with whom they are engaging.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #481 on: February 6, 2021, 09:58:41 am »
As an ex president why would he received these anyway?  Is this a normal approach for ex presidents’?

Yes, it's normal. Incumbent presidents routinely asked their predecessors for advice and input, based on their own experiences in office. It's why former intelligence operatives are usually also kept in the loop.

Trump systematically removed briefings from ex-CIA and others because they gave him replies he didn't want to hear. And given his well reported disinterest in such briefings, and his flappy gob, it makes perfect sense to exclude him. He would have no substantial opinion to offer.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #482 on: February 6, 2021, 10:23:44 am »
I would give it to him still and just redact anything of importance.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: February 6, 2021, 10:25:47 am »
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1357907026039300096
That thread explains it. Clinton, Bush and Obama will get it if they need it when travelling. I don't expect any of them to be travelling right now though.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #484 on: February 6, 2021, 10:40:43 am »
Yes, it's normal. Incumbent presidents routinely asked their predecessors for advice and input, based on their own experiences in office. It's why former intelligence operatives are usually also kept in the loop.

Trump systematically removed briefings from ex-CIA and others because they gave him replies he didn't want to hear. And given his well reported disinterest in such briefings, and his flappy gob, it makes perfect sense to exclude him. He would have no substantial opinion to offer.
Trump is such an obvious security risk, it would not surprise me if Trump is briefed with disinformation as a check to see if he is passing it along to his Russian handlers.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #485 on: February 6, 2021, 11:39:41 am »
Trump is such an obvious security risk, it would not surprise me if Trump is briefed with disinformation as a check to see if he is passing it along to his Russian handlers.

Don't even need to pass it to his handlers.  He tweeted (previously) top secret images ffs. ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #486 on: February 6, 2021, 01:56:27 pm »
Fantastic first step. Now to remove the Houthi terrorist label and start aid flowing in.

Biden revokes terrorist designation for Yemen’s Houthis

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-donald-trump-civil-wars-yemen-d17b50e3995827838a19fb8bd09e9f64

Offline SOHC

• Main Stander
« Reply #487 on: February 6, 2021, 05:36:10 pm »
Great news. The original declaration was clearly done to try and force a narrative of the Biden administration being weak on terror and weak on Iran with no regards to the human toll behind the action  :no.

Hopefully this is a sign that the new administration will focus on making the right policy decisions regardless of media or Republican opposition portrayal.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: February 12, 2021, 02:41:38 pm »
Kyrsten Sinema doesn’t often make big policy pronouncements. But when she does, Democrats had better listen.

Take the $15 hourly minimum wage that Democratic leaders want to add to a $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief package. Sinema, who became the first Democrat to win a Senate race in once deep-red Arizona in 30 years, is crystal clear: She’s against including it.

“What’s important is whether or not it’s directly related to short-term Covid relief. And if it’s not, then I am not going to support it in this legislation,” Sinema said in a telephone interview this week. “The minimum wage provision is not appropriate for the reconciliation process. It is not a budget item. And it shouldn’t be in there.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/02/12/kyrsten-sinema-democrats-468768

Democrats should hold her and Manchin primarily responsible if the party takes a pounding in the midterms.

"Hi, we're the Democrats and we do nothing with Congressional majorities. Er, vote for us?!"

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #489 on: February 12, 2021, 02:47:46 pm »
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/02/12/kyrsten-sinema-democrats-468768

Democrats should hold her and Manchin primarily responsible if the party takes a pounding in the midterms.

"Hi, we're the Democrats and we do nothing with Congressional majorities. Er, vote for us?!"

Tax cuts for the mega rich are fine though.

Popcorn's Art

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: February 12, 2021, 03:54:45 pm »
Tax cuts for the mega rich are fine though.

“There is no instance in which I would overrule a parliamentarian’s decision,” Sinema said. “I want to restore the 60-vote threshold for all elements of the Senate's work.”

People can delude themselves that she's playing some sort of 4D/5D chess game but it will be very hard politically for Sinema to row back from wanting to extend the scope of the filibuster to nuking it altogether. Sometimes, politicians do actually mean what they are saying.

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #491 on: February 12, 2021, 05:01:10 pm »
I've got visions of Biden falling asleep and then waking up with a start - "oh fuck, that's another thing I've got to sort out", before writing down "remember to reverse transgender ban in military" or something on a yellow pad next to him.
Thank you Jurgen

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: February 12, 2021, 05:10:48 pm »
I've got visions of Biden falling asleep and then waking up with a start - "oh fuck, that's another thing I've got to sort out", before writing down "remember to reverse transgender ban in military" or something on a yellow pad next to him.

He already did that. :thumbup

Popcorn's Art

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #493 on: February 12, 2021, 06:32:29 pm »
Biden wants to quadruple refugee admissions set by Trump

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden wants to raise refugee admissions to 62,500 for the current budget year, overriding former President Donald Trump’s record-low limit of 15,000, a U.S. official and others said Thursday.

In his first foreign policy speech earlier this month, Biden announced plans to up admissions in 2022 to 125,000, which would surpass the ceiling of 110,00 set by President Barack Obama before he left office and be more than eight times the amount set by Trump near the end of his term.

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-donald-trump-coronavirus-pandemic-dc238dd2f7f504eb34b8cb26e3d69ae6

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #494 on: February 12, 2021, 08:42:47 pm »
People can delude themselves that she's playing some sort of 4D/5D chess game but it will be very hard politically for Sinema to row back from wanting to extend the scope of the filibuster to nuking it altogether. Sometimes, politicians do actually mean what they are saying.
The thing with overriding the parliamentarian is only need the VP and 41 senators

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #495 on: February 14, 2021, 03:57:51 am »

:o                                           

"According to a draft of the proposed legislation, obtained by the Review-Journal but not yet introduced in the Legislature, Innovation Zones would allow tech companies like Blockchains, LLC to effectively form separate local governments in Nevada, governments that would carry the same authority as a county, including the ability to impose taxes, form school districts and justice courts and provide government services, to name a few duties."

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/politics-and-government/2021-legislature/bill-would-allow-tech-companies-to-create-local-governments-2272887/

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: February 14, 2021, 10:48:05 am »
Well I guess that's one way to get around gerrymandering...

Popcorn's Art

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #497 on: February 15, 2021, 08:17:59 am »
No mention of this in here. It's a bit disappointing that Biden said on the day of his Inauguration that “If you ever work with me and I hear you treat another colleague with disrespect, talk down to someone, I will fire you on the spot... No ifs, ands or buts,” however this fella was only given a 1 week suspension.

Joe Biden’s deputy press secretary resigns over ‘abhorrent’ language
TJ Ducklo ‘embarrassed and disgusted’ after allegedly threatening a female journalist

Deputy White House press secretary TJ Ducklo has resigned, following reports of derogatory comments he made to a reporter, marking the first resignation of the Biden administration.

In a statement, press secretary Jen Psaki said the White House had accepted Mr Ducklo’s resignation after a discussion on Saturday.

“We are committed to striving every day to meet the standard set by the president in treating others with dignity and respect, with civility and with a value for others through our words and our actions,” she said.

Vanity Fair on Friday reported details of a phone call between Mr Ducklo and Tara Palmeri, a respected journalist for Politico. Mr Ducklo warned Ms Palmeri he would “destroy” her, and used sexually offensive language, after she enquired about Mr Ducklo’s relationship with a reporter from Axios.

Politico had originally informed the White House of plans to report the story of the relationship, which has raised ethical issues for Axios, on Monday. Then a flattering story about the romance between Mr Ducklo (32) and the Axios reporter, Alexi McCammond (27), appeared in People magazine that day.

Following the publication of the Vanity Fair report detailing the contents of Mr Ducklo’s call with Ms Palmeri, Ms Psaki announced that Mr Ducklo was being suspended without pay for one week. During Friday’s White House press briefing, she said that a week-long suspension was “an important step to send the message that we don’t find it acceptable.”

But controversy around the issue persisted over the weekend. Mr Biden warned staff members on inauguration day that he would fire them “on the spot” if they spoke down to or disrespected a colleague.

Mr Ducklo, who has recently battled stage four lung cancer, said in a statement: “No words can express my regret, my embarrassment and my disgust for my behaviour.”

He continued: “I used language that no woman should ever have to hear from anyone, especially in a situation where she was just trying to do her job. It was language that was abhorrent, disrespectful and unacceptable.”

“I am devastated to have embarrassed and disappointed my White House colleagues and President Biden, and after a discussion with White House communications leadership tonight, I resigned my position.”

From The Irish Times
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #498 on: February 15, 2021, 11:51:07 am »
That can be interpreted any number of ways. Seems a week's suspension to put his affairs in order and then allowing him to resign rather than be fired is most likely.  We don't really know the process behind what happened, but I doubt they expected him to come back.

Popcorn's Art

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: February 15, 2021, 03:24:59 pm »
The destroy comment shouldn't have been suspension/resignation worthy. What was the supposedly "sexually offensive" language?

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #500 on: February 15, 2021, 03:38:06 pm »
    :o                                           

"According to a draft of the proposed legislation, obtained by the Review-Journal but not yet introduced in the Legislature, Innovation Zones would allow tech companies like Blockchains, LLC to effectively form separate local governments in Nevada, governments that would carry the same authority as a county, including the ability to impose taxes, form school districts and justice courts and provide government services, to name a few duties."

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/politics-and-government/2021-legislature/bill-would-allow-tech-companies-to-create-local-governments-2272887/

Omni Consumer Products likes this
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #501 on: February 15, 2021, 08:26:24 pm »
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1361311221245476865

Cant wait to see what earmarks go to AZ and WV

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #502 on: February 15, 2021, 08:43:46 pm »
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1361311221245476865

Cant wait to see what earmarks go to AZ and WV

Bizarre that a lot of the comments below that Tweet are welcoming this? More bribery in politics? Hooray?!

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: February 15, 2021, 11:50:32 pm »
Bizarre that a lot of the comments below that Tweet are welcoming this? More bribery in politics? Hooray?!
It more allowing congress to determine where the money goes but in an open transparent way. It more taking the spending power from Executive to legislative branch more clear.  Also Both Leahy and Shelby(R-Bama) want this back.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/12/07/congressional-earmarks-once-symbols-graft-could-return-2021/6391368002/
https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2018/12/27/congress-in-2019-why-the-first-branch-should-bring-back-earmarks/

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #504 on: February 16, 2021, 04:53:12 am »

Somewhere around six million without power in Texas and frigid conditions.    :'(

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #505 on: February 16, 2021, 06:12:10 am »

Meanwhile, this climate has claimed us in Oregon, in second place, at 300,000.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #506 on: February 16, 2021, 06:57:03 am »
That can be interpreted any number of ways. Seems a week's suspension to put his affairs in order and then allowing him to resign rather than be fired is most likely.  We don't really know the process behind what happened, but I doubt they expected him to come back.

Come on it was a piss weak response by the Biden Admin. He specifically said "I will fire you on the spot" not, you can have a week off to get collect your items and then leave on your own accord.

Fired means fired.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #507 on: February 16, 2021, 07:25:33 am »
Somewhere around six million without power in Texas and frigid conditions.    :'(

And despite the fact Texas didn't vote for him Joe Biden approved an emergency declaration and ordered federal assistance to supplement state and local response efforts due to the emergency conditions resulting from a severe winter storm.

Unlike Trump who contrived to disadvantage any Democratic state over the distribution of PPE etc, because he was a vindictive arsehole.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #508 on: February 16, 2021, 08:28:54 am »
And despite the fact Texas didn't vote for him Joe Biden approved an emergency declaration and ordered federal assistance to supplement state and local response efforts due to the emergency conditions resulting from a severe winter storm.

Unlike Trump who contrived to disadvantage any Democratic state over the distribution of PPE etc, because he was a vindictive arsehole.
I mean the president supposed to out any state that needs it. Texas was the state with the second vote overall votes for Biden. Just as Cali had more votes for Trump then anything other state.
Texas not being part of the US Power grid seems unideal with this weather.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: February 16, 2021, 11:21:11 am »
Wonder did the Dems dust off their statement on gun policies when Joe came out this weekend stating it was time for background checks, ammo restrictions etc. Lets see where this goes as I am sure the Republicans never saw it coming.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Andy_lfc

• Kopite
« Reply #510 on: February 16, 2021, 11:59:34 am »
Come on it was a piss weak response by the Biden Admin. He specifically said "I will fire you on the spot" not, you can have a week off to get collect your items and then leave on your own accord.

Fired means fired.

I'm sorry, but 'fired on the spot' is obvious hyperbole to make a point.  Any responsible employer would go through proper investigation and process in circumstances like this.  To think different feels like you are looking for things to criticise.

I have had to conduct investigations like this one - the first step is ALWAYS to suspend and properly investigate, interview and make sure that any decision to terminate employment is correct and water tight.  Even if he had a physical altercation with a reporter,  I would still expect the first step to be a suspension just to get him off the premises.  If I was to speculate, he knew that he would be fired following an investigation and decided to resign, or was given that option to try and salvage a career for himself somewhere else.  You can't stop someone resigning during an investigation.

The end result and message it sends is the same - you cross the line and you are out of a job, regardless of the details of how he lost his job.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 12:01:28 pm by Andy_lfc »

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #511 on: February 16, 2021, 01:03:24 pm »
Wonder did the Dems dust off their statement on gun policies when Joe came out this weekend stating it was time for background checks, ammo restrictions etc. Lets see where this goes as I am sure the Republicans never saw it coming.
Probably nowhere. But at least they want to run a government. All the republicans want to do is get power in order to push through more & more tax breaks for folks who don’t need them, instigate harsh immigration policies for their racist base & increase their obscene military spending to appease corporate donors. Apart from that they haven’t a clue how to govern, don’t believe in democracy & don’t care about their voters.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: February 16, 2021, 03:20:11 pm »
Probably nowhere. But at least they want to run a government. All the republicans want to do is get power in order to push through more & more tax breaks for folks who don’t need them, instigate harsh immigration policies for their racist base & increase their obscene military spending to appease corporate donors. Apart from that they haven’t a clue how to govern, don’t believe in democracy & don’t care about their voters.

Republicans lack even this much vision. Their only purpose in gaining power is to block the Democrats from enacting their agenda, hence their desperation to retain the filibuster.

Political squatters.

Popcorn's Art

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: February 16, 2021, 03:32:43 pm »

Most of my colleagues in Houston are all offline today with no power or water.

The lucky ones have fires in their house.

Apparently not expecting power back for 3 or 4 days in some areas.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: February 16, 2021, 03:37:39 pm »
Most of my colleagues in Houston are all offline today with no power or water.

The lucky ones have fires in their house.

Apparently not expecting power back for 3 or 4 days in some areas.

Yeah, my brother's been up for two nights, trying to warm the pool pipes so they don't freeze, apparently. Supposed to go above freezing today finally.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #515 on: February 16, 2021, 03:41:46 pm »

It's been brutal. Never seen cold like this in all my life here in Texas, we've shattered records. I'm sick to death of the word "unprecedented!" More snow and ice on the way tonight as well.

My wife and I's house has somehow maintained power through all of this, I think because we must be on the same grid as the emergency clinic about a half mile from our house. So we've had friends sheltering with us for more than a day now.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: February 16, 2021, 03:44:24 pm »
I mean the president supposed to out any state that needs it. Texas was the state with the second vote overall votes for Biden. Just as Cali had more votes for Trump then anything other state.
Texas not being part of the US Power grid seems unideal with this weather.

I certainly get not wanting federal oversight because Lord knows we don't need anymore of that, but this has very much exposed the weak links and the unpreparedness of those in charge. There will be investigations and lawsuits aplenty after we thaw out next week, heads will roll.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: February 16, 2021, 08:09:44 pm »

It wont go anywhere as there is probably a few Dems in the House & Senate who will not fully back the gun law changes as if they do they will lose their seat in a state that believes in the current gun laws. At least the majority of Dems will do the right thing but there is always one or two that will pull at the threads. That's the issue I have with the system there as someone is always running for election. If a party had 4 years to make a change then something would happen and while the other side is awful, the Dems failures to truly do something about guns for decades at this stage is nuts. Just shows the power lobbyists hold as the vast majority of the country want change but the NPR have the Republicans and a couple of Dems by the short & curlies. 

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #518 on: February 16, 2021, 09:04:06 pm »
It's been brutal. Never seen cold like this in all my life here in Texas, we've shattered records. I'm sick to death of the word "unprecedented!" More snow and ice on the way tonight as well.

My wife and I's house has somehow maintained power through all of this, I think because we must be on the same grid as the emergency clinic about a half mile from our house. So we've had friends sheltering with us for more than a day now.

How far south is it getting? Can’t believe Houston is being affected. Friends of mine there say it’s being getting more brutal in summer in terms of heat.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #519 on: February 16, 2021, 10:33:49 pm »
I saw this somewhere. It's very apt.  ;D

Texas a few months ago: We may secede! Biden stole the election. Socialism!

Texas now: Mr. President, will you kindly send us the Federal monies?