Author Topic: Welcome to Liverpool Thiago Alcantara  (Read 823902 times)

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Welcome to Liverpool Thiago Alcantara
« Reply #3960 on: September 30, 2021, 02:39:02 am »
Facts aren't a narrative though.  Injury, the game not being necessary, better players, etc etc is the narrative.  At some point the numbers are the numbers. 

And I think this gets away from the fact that he's a great player when he's on the field.  I just gave my reasoning for why I would be concerned if we required him to succeed and why I thought the transfer is odd.  That's my opinion.  Others are welcome to theirs.  I just don't think quibbling over factual stats is worth it but to each their own.

First of all, you said he played over 20 league games in three seasons. For all the talk of factual stats, that's not true. He's done it in 7 seasons.

And for me, if he achieves the same in the next 4 seasons with appearances in the CL, in most matches and certainly crucial matches, it's a punt well worth taken. He may be able to achieve more and that's a bonus for a player of his quality. If he contributes to a PL and a CL success in his next 4 years, do you think people will be bothered about how many league games he played (then or in the past)? Bayern was not bothered because he contributed to those trophies. They wanted him to stay. Do you think our recruitment team would not have looked at his previous availability? They obviously thought we can work with it and I'm thankful they thought that way.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 02:45:33 am by PoetryInMotion »

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #3961 on: September 30, 2021, 03:07:13 am »
Facts aren't a narrative though.  Injury, the game not being necessary, better players, etc etc is the narrative.  At some point the numbers are the numbers. 

And I think this gets away from the fact that he's a great player when he's on the field.  I just gave my reasoning for why I would be concerned if we required him to succeed and why I thought the transfer is odd.  That's my opinion.  Others are welcome to theirs.  I just don't think quibbling over factual stats is worth it but to each their own.
Lol, you're a strange fella
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #3962 on: September 30, 2021, 04:21:08 am »
I think the issue with his availability would be resolved, in part, by addressing the availability of the group of Keita and Ox, which would be done soon I reckon.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #3963 on: September 30, 2021, 04:41:00 am »
Number eh…

So 20/21 season that’s 132,180 seconds, on the pitch.

As we know it only takes a second to score a goal, he’s scored 1.

So he has a seconds to goal ratio of 132,180:1. Rubbish.

Add to the fact that he runs slower than time, his true time on the pitch is actually 178,964 seconds, making an even worserer, goal to games to seconds ratio. But we love him dearly.

Blah blah paragraph of soul destroying opinion….

Another paragraph with the bit about nay-sayers who turn out to be Reece’s and Greggs employees…

Chicken pox sock wanks

I’m his biggest fan, get the clown shoes John and a new motor for Thiago.

Numberwang, my opinion matters the most

Crossroads injuries, the Dahli Lama, Peter Purves.

Over to you Jurgen. We move on.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #3964 on: September 30, 2021, 08:47:07 am »

;D

I counter that by bolding a very specific sentence in your post and showing his xPASS rate is equivalent to Tomas Brolin, Peter Fear and Jose Camacho.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #3965 on: September 30, 2021, 06:29:13 pm »
First of all, you said he played over 20 league games in three seasons. For all the talk of factual stats, that's not true. He's done it in 7 seasons.

And for me, if he achieves the same in the next 4 seasons with appearances in the CL, in most matches and certainly crucial matches, it's a punt well worth taken. He may be able to achieve more and that's a bonus for a player of his quality. If he contributes to a PL and a CL success in his next 4 years, do you think people will be bothered about how many league games he played (then or in the past)? Bayern was not bothered because he contributed to those trophies. They wanted him to stay. Do you think our recruitment team would not have looked at his previous availability? They obviously thought we can work with it and I'm thankful they thought that way.

League games?  Per the below it's only twice as I noted which was 16/17 and 18/19. 

https://fbref.com/en/players/77e84962/Thiago-Alcantara
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 06:32:41 pm by Dave McCoy »

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3966 on: September 30, 2021, 06:41:45 pm »
League games?  Per the below it's only twice as I noted which was 16/17 and 18/19. 

https://fbref.com/en/players/77e84962/Thiago-Alcantara

Are we looking at starts or matches played?

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3967 on: September 30, 2021, 06:48:27 pm »
Yeah there's 7 season there where he played in over 20 matches.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #3968 on: September 30, 2021, 06:54:54 pm »
Are we looking at starts or matches played?

I'm looking at league starts and total minutes.  In either metric it's only more than 20 twice as noted. 

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3969 on: September 30, 2021, 07:00:06 pm »
20 x 90 = 1800-minutes.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #3970 on: September 30, 2021, 07:01:22 pm »
20 x 90 = 1800-minutes.

Which has happened 4 times in his league career, not 7 so ???

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3971 on: September 30, 2021, 07:07:28 pm »
Which has happened 4 times in his league career, not 7 so ???
Not twice either.

Also you’ve just changed the metric to minutes played. Going back to the post above, it said;

Nothing about minutes played or games started, just games played, which is +20 on 7 occasions.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #3972 on: September 30, 2021, 07:17:54 pm »
Not twice either.

Also you’ve just changed the metric to minutes played. Going back to the post above, it said;
Nothing about minutes played or games started, just games played, which is +20 on 7 occasions.

I think I've been pretty consistent in all of this but since I wasn't considering subs I can see where people would take issue.  My original statement was "more than".  Which based on either starts or minutes played is correct.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3973 on: September 30, 2021, 07:21:08 pm »
Al would be proud of this one  ;)

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3974 on: September 30, 2021, 07:24:49 pm »
I think I've been pretty consistent in all of this but since I wasn't considering subs I can see where people would take issue.  My original statement was "more than".  Which based on either starts or minutes played is correct.
1801 minutes is ‘more than’ 20 league games, which still makes four seasons.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #3975 on: September 30, 2021, 07:26:07 pm »
Al would be proud of this one  ;)

Hah.  Since I'm not saying Thiago should or could have done more even in the face of all factual evidence otherwise I'd think he'd be more confused than anything else.

1801 minutes is ‘more than’ 20 league games, which still makes four seasons.

Fair enough.  Is being available for 20 league games 40% of the time instead of 20% of the time enough to change an opinion that if someone was only available that amount of time and was integral to a teams success that it might be a problem?  For me?  No.  If you think otherwise that's fair as well.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 07:31:26 pm by Dave McCoy »

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #3976 on: September 30, 2021, 08:40:17 pm »
When has anything supporting the use of the term "only available..." been proven so far?

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3977 on: September 30, 2021, 09:54:40 pm »
These last two pages may just be the most boring in RAWK history. I was just hoping for news on when he might be back, instead it's one man's eternal failure to communicate.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3978 on: September 30, 2021, 10:05:59 pm »
These last two pages may just be the most boring in RAWK history. I was just hoping for news on when he might be back, instead it's one man's eternal failure to communicate.

Klopp says back after the break

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #3979 on: September 30, 2021, 10:59:13 pm »
When has anything supporting the use of the term "only available..." been proven so far?

Might want to find some medical science people to discuss this with.  There's also some pretty good examples from our own clubs recent past that highlights this.

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #3980 on: October 1, 2021, 05:06:01 am »
Might want to find some medical science people to discuss this with.  There's also some pretty good examples from our own clubs recent past that highlights this.
I was talking about Thiago and your deft recasting of minutes played to 'only available...', even though we all know that players might be available but not play

But I concur with GreatEx. This is dull and boring stuff in the thread for a magician

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #3981 on: October 9, 2021, 11:49:25 pm »
He's in London for the weekend with his family, hopefully all is on track with his injury. No crutches in sight at least!
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3982 on: October 10, 2021, 09:31:56 am »
He's in London for the weekend with his family, hopefully all is on track with his injury. No crutches in sight at least!

Just hope he stays off the dance floor then.

Offline KirkVanHouten

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3983 on: October 11, 2021, 01:24:40 am »
How is this debate around minutes still going. The distinction is pretty meaningless. A minute played in any competition is a minute that could be played in the league. We have a squad full of midfielders that need games. We don't need him to play every game. I'd be content with 1800 league minutes and all the CL knockouts.

It's also a strange comparison because Bayern have the luxury of being able to rest their best players in the league and play them in the CL games because of the gap between them and the rest. They also play 4 fewer league games per season than us because there are only 18 teams.

He played 1800 minutes for us last season in the league and that was after missing a huge chunk of the season with COVID and injury from Richarlison's attempted murder.

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #3984 on: October 11, 2021, 04:47:23 pm »
How is this debate around minutes still going. The distinction is pretty meaningless. A minute played in any competition is a minute that could be played in the league. We have a squad full of midfielders that need games. We don't need him to play every game. I'd be content with 1800 league minutes and all the CL knockouts.

It's also a strange comparison because Bayern have the luxury of being able to rest their best players in the league and play them in the CL games because of the gap between them and the rest. They also play 4 fewer league games per season than us because there are only 18 teams.

He played 1800 minutes for us last season in the league and that was after missing a huge chunk of the season with COVID and injury from Richarlison's attempted murder.

Yep, but then everybody except one poster seems to be able to understand this

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #3985 on: October 11, 2021, 06:33:44 pm »
Yep, but then everybody except one poster seems to be able to understand this

A minute played in one competition could have been played in another with exactly the same outcomes every time?  Please prove this. 

Thankfully the club employ people that understand probability better than the average RAWK poster.

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #3986 on: October 12, 2021, 12:40:21 am »
A minute played in one competition could have been played in another with exactly the same outcomes every time? Please prove this. 

Thankfully the club employ people that understand probability better than the average RAWK poster.

;D
Dude, you're like a sitcom character

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3987 on: October 12, 2021, 10:51:51 am »
 :lmao

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #3988 on: October 12, 2021, 05:27:58 pm »
I guess we all get to laugh then so /shrug. 

A minute played in one competition COULD have been played in another is an unprovable statement and meaningless.  To then agree that as a sound thought and of course everybody should understand that is just nonsense. 

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3989 on: October 12, 2021, 06:21:37 pm »
How do you not see that your entire premise is flawed?  If you came out with a stat that said he wasn't available for x number of league minutes due to injury then you'd have a point.  But just saying he's only played x amount of minutes without any context is meaningless. 

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3990 on: October 12, 2021, 06:42:31 pm »
Some folks have said he missed training today - so it's unlikely he will be ready for the weekend. This means it will be another month long injury? Guessing it was worse than first reported.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #3991 on: October 12, 2021, 07:01:33 pm »
How do you not see that your entire premise is flawed?  If you came out with a stat that said he wasn't available for x number of league minutes due to injury then you'd have a point.  But just saying he's only played x amount of minutes without any context is meaningless.

The context is future availability in relation to Thiago being "integral" to LFC which was what I was initially responding to in this thread.  I didn't just roll in here blabbing numbers because I'm bored....

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #3992 on: October 12, 2021, 07:18:10 pm »
Some folks have said he missed training today - so it's unlikely he will be ready for the weekend. This means it will be another month long injury? Guessing it was worse than first reported.

It’s only Tuesday.

Let’s wait and see.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #3993 on: October 13, 2021, 05:43:01 am »
The context is future availability in relation to Thiago being "integral" to LFC which was what I was initially responding to in this thread.
You showed nothing about future availability or whether he will be integral or not

I didn't just roll in here blabbing numbers because I'm bored....
Ok, so you weren't bored... ;)

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #3994 on: October 13, 2021, 08:55:57 am »
No sign of him in Tuesdays training photos but Plenty of Trent

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3995 on: October 13, 2021, 12:31:11 pm »
If he's back for the United game, we should be fine.

Offline TAA66

• Kopite
  • Nobody grows up wanting to be a Gary Neville
« Reply #3996 on: October 13, 2021, 12:41:18 pm »
Wasn’t he pictured on crutches very recently? If that’s the case, I wouldn’t imagine he would be match fit for this weekend

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #3997 on: October 13, 2021, 01:37:56 pm »
Wasn’t he pictured on crutches very recently? If that’s the case, I wouldn’t imagine he would be match fit for this weekend

Don’t think so
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3998 on: October 15, 2021, 11:13:33 am »
Sounds like it'll be a little while yet, Jurgen "doesn't know" when he'll be back and it "takes a little time" feels like one of those where the weeks will just pass and pass and suddenly he's been out ages. Massive blow.

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3999 on: October 15, 2021, 11:16:37 am »
A massive shame really. Was hoping for another masterclass at Old Trafford next week.