Author Topic: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...  (Read 860127 times)

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...
« Reply #15440 on: December 18, 2021, 09:42:33 am »
Think they may go for a PPG approach instead... ;D

;D

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #15441 on: December 18, 2021, 09:47:32 am »
Other leagues (yet at least) don't seem to be struggling. There's a full fixture list in the other European leagues despite Omicron hitting.

Reading on the BBC the other big leagues are close to 100% vaccination rates for players and in England we clearly aren't.

The other factor is test frequency being increased in the PL. We've seen that with our vaccinated squad getting 3 positive cases before the last match (all asymptomatic). The more tests you do the more likely it'll either pick up an asymptomatic case, or just a false positive.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15442 on: December 18, 2021, 10:33:47 am »
in Ontario (a few months back) the provincial government told all employers they had to produce a written Covid policy for their staff .

at the time I thought it was bullshit pass-the-buck political crap, but as it turned out it has worked very well, though a bit bumpy at times.

all employers have said "staff must be fully vaccinated by XX date" to retain their employment.  and they are on solid legal ground as far as terminating those who refuse to comply (very very few cases so far).

maybe that's what the UK should so with the Prem/EFL ... force them to handle it, while at the same time giving them some "cover" (ie the government is making us do this). make players choose what they want - get a fukking needle or lose their career in UK football.

Agree. The country I live in right now you can't go to work or enter stores or banks or any place unless you are fully vaccinated + booster.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15443 on: December 18, 2021, 11:49:10 am »
I think the league season should be stopped, and ended, now. With final placings as they are. I know it may seem a little unfair but health and safety comes first. We ll come back in August.

just about to say, that is a mad shout la, then saw it was you  ;D

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #15444 on: December 18, 2021, 11:54:10 am »
Was looking at a bit of the darts last night. Looked like it was being held at Covid Grand Central - Omicron Platform from where I was watching.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15445 on: December 18, 2021, 12:54:08 pm »
The integrity of the league will be affected if it isn't suspended. That Everton team could have been thrashed on another day.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #15446 on: December 18, 2021, 01:06:31 pm »
You know the situation is increasingly desperate when you have to resort to watching Middlesbrough at home...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15447 on: December 18, 2021, 01:09:00 pm »
You know the situation is increasingly desperate when you have to resort to watching Middlesbrough at home...
Fans have been socially distanced at the Riverside since Juninho left

Offline TALBERT

• Shite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15448 on: December 18, 2021, 01:15:13 pm »
Villa vs Burnley

Now off

This means that

Arsenal vs Leeds is the only PL game still on
Number 1 fan of Xabi Alonso Alberto Aquilani Raul Meireles. Barry is pure shite compared to Xabi Alberto Raul!!!!!
KIMI RAIKKONEN LEGEND WDC 2007
Gomes flapping at a ball looks like a sealion trying to have a wank!

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15449 on: December 18, 2021, 01:22:23 pm »

Not even the people of Middlesbrough want to do that.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15450 on: December 18, 2021, 01:32:45 pm »

I see one point Wilder's ended up there.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #15451 on: December 18, 2021, 01:54:42 pm »
Agree. The country I live in right now you can't go to work or enter stores or banks or any place unless you are fully vaccinated + booster.
forget football, it's what the UK should do in the country as a whole, not a chance that will be entertained though, enough of a backlash for forcing care home staff and NHS staff to get it despite them working with the most vulnerable members of our society
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #15452 on: December 18, 2021, 01:57:45 pm »
Was looking at a bit of the darts last night. Looked like it was being held at Covid Grand Central - Omicron Platform from where I was watching.
yeah thought the same, no good is going to come from that I don't think. All unmasked, close contact, pissed up, singing and shouting, I mean what could possibly go wrong!
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15453 on: December 18, 2021, 02:26:24 pm »
Wonder if the Scottish cup final will be postponed tomorrow - Celtic were already threadbare pre-COVID so they would dearly love their players to get back to health

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15454 on: December 18, 2021, 02:33:14 pm »
If I was a club, ours or another, i'd make a simple rule about vaccinations.

If you get all the jabs and still get Covid, you then isolate as per.

If you refuse to be jabbed or are not current with the jabs, and you get Covid, you isolate as per AND are fined two weeks wages for every instance. 

The players not current with jabs are endangering their team mates and potentially costing the club in points and ultimately money.
Yep. I know we are 99% vaccinated but if we did have players not wanting to be vaccinated I would have no problem with taking them out of the team and selling them at the earliest opportunity.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #15455 on: December 18, 2021, 03:16:02 pm »
Yep. I know we are 99% vaccinated but if we did have players not wanting to be vaccinated I would have no problem with taking them out of the team and selling them at the earliest opportunity.

If it had been a key player you already know that's not how it works. Their asking price would be slashed to pieces if it became clear through leaks that was the reason why and a rival club would scoop them up for peanuts. Then a lot of the fans would be furious at the club for selling said key player. Sports is a business nowadays.
Linudden.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15456 on: December 18, 2021, 03:41:03 pm »
I think the league season should be stopped, and ended, now. With final placings as they are. I know it may seem a little unfair but health and safety comes first. We ll come back in August.

When did you start following West ham? 😉
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15457 on: December 18, 2021, 03:59:50 pm »
When did you start following West ham? 😉

Arsenal are 4th at the moment aren’t they?
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15458 on: December 18, 2021, 04:02:53 pm »
Footballers aren't exactly known to be the brightest so no wonder a fair few of them refuse to get vaccinated. I'm glad Liverpool players have largely seen sense, don't know what the uptake is elsewhere but clubs should absolutely refuse to pay them if they contract it and are unavailable

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15459 on: December 18, 2021, 04:33:51 pm »
Footballers aren't exactly known to be the brightest so no wonder a fair few of them refuse to get vaccinated. I'm glad Liverpool players have largely seen sense, don't know what the uptake is elsewhere but clubs should absolutely refuse to pay them if they contract it and are unavailable

The culture of the dressing room plays a part as well, with the louder voices. They can be easily led.

Pretty much all our lads are double vaccinated but maybe if they were in another dressing room (without the leadership of Jurgen and senior players etc) they wouldn't be if they've got other players spouting shite in their era.

There was a stat a month or two ago that around a third of PL footballers weren't vaccinated (don't know about now) so if all our lads are then there'll be squads were that's really low.

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15460 on: December 18, 2021, 04:42:53 pm »
Null and void.  ;)
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #15461 on: December 19, 2021, 03:36:25 pm »
Seeing Chelsea's attempt to get their match today called-off, once again re-iterates the need for the PL to show more transparency. What is the actual criteria and which players are currently affected?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15462 on: December 19, 2021, 06:53:03 pm »
Seeing Chelsea's attempt to get their match today called-off, once again re-iterates the need for the PL to show more transparency. What is the actual criteria and which players are currently affected?

There was rumours the likes of James and Alonso were out but they played. Think Chelsea were trying a fast one.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15463 on: December 19, 2021, 07:21:10 pm »
https://twitter.com/TheAthleticUK/status/1472645380160512001

EXCLUSIVE | Premier League clubs are set to discuss whether to postpone an entire round of festive fixtures at a meeting tomorrow.

Gameweek 20 - the fixtures on Dec 28/29/30 - is the round of matches most likely to be pre-emptively postponed.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15464 on: December 19, 2021, 07:58:08 pm »
https://twitter.com/TheAthleticUK/status/1472645380160512001

Whilst it makes sense players won't be asked to isolate (to avoid risk of catching it)  so will it make a massive difference?

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #15465 on: December 19, 2021, 11:39:04 pm »
Prem Should be postponed over Christmas

I know we all love our Christmas footy but it makes the most sense and it’s only fair to others

City have 2 teams ffs
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #15466 on: December 20, 2021, 12:39:28 am »
One obvious action is to turn the LC semi finals into a 1 leg game and postpone this week's games but use the date set for the 1st leg provisionally to play them

As for the league, I think 2 games for everyone 26th-29th is at least one more game than is necessary, especially with a full weekend after that as well.

It all needs looking at with the flexibility required but without letting the TV companies make the decisions
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #15467 on: December 20, 2021, 09:01:03 am »
There was rumours the likes of James and Alonso were out but they played. Think Chelsea were trying a fast one.

It is also the risk of contact with existing team mates that had it. Other teams have been allowed to call games off cause of this.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15468 on: December 20, 2021, 09:03:58 am »
Fans direct their anger at unvaxxed players after matches are called off

Fan leaders in England could today demand crisis talks with the Premier League with anger mounting over the late postponement of matches due to coronavirus.

The chairman of the Football Supporters’ Association (FSA), Malcolm Clarke, said calling off games only hours before kick-off had to stop after Aston Villa v Burnley became the second fixture to suffer that fate in four days.

It was the second Burnley match to suffer the same fate, following the late postponement of their home clash with Watford. Their game at Villa on Saturday was called off less than three hours before kick-off, despite the home side having received the results of the positive tests that led to its postponement on the morning of the match.

Clarke branded it “ridiculous”, adding: “I can’t believe there isn’t a better way of doing this.” Confirming the FSA may seek talks with the Premier League, he said the decision-making process on postponements needed to be sped up.

Premier League clubs are scheduled to meet today to discuss the game’s growing Covid-19 crisis. Clarke said: “The clubs can’t be happy with this.” Players who refuse to get vaccinated are also facing a supporter backlash. Clarke said fans were “mystified” why jab rates among Premier League players were so low compared to those in other major European leagues.

The lack of take-up by those in the world’s richest league is widely regarded to have contributed to the number of fixtures falling prey to mass outbreaks of the disease.

“I just can’t get my head round it,” Clarke said. “I can’t understand why athletes playing football should have this level of resistance.”

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/fans-direct-their-anger-at-unvaxxed-players-after-matches-are-called-off-41165928.html
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #15469 on: December 20, 2021, 10:28:43 am »
Yep.

Number of vaccinated in the Bundesliga: 94%
NBA: 95%
NHL: 99%
NFL: 93%

A few other leagues

Serie A: 98% (7 clubs are 100% vaccinated)
Ligue 1: 92%
Ligue 2: 84%
La Liga: 93%
MLS: 95%

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #15470 on: December 20, 2021, 10:29:26 am »
NASCAR 2%. ;D
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15471 on: December 20, 2021, 02:04:48 pm »

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #15472 on: December 20, 2021, 02:23:55 pm »
NASCAR 2%. ;D

Citation? Or was it just a joke? My personal guess is that NASCAR is likely to be at 50-60 %.
Linudden.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #15473 on: December 20, 2021, 02:24:44 pm »
Citation? Or was it just a joke?
NASCAR Has always been a joke

;)
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #15474 on: December 20, 2021, 02:56:21 pm »
No PL break for now.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline stoopid yank

• Legacy Fan
  • Bird is the Word
« Reply #15475 on: December 20, 2021, 03:03:06 pm »
No PL break for now.

Official? Announced?
I don't always listen to Black Sabbath, but when I do, so do the neighbors.

Offline Rahul21

• Anny Roader
« Reply #15476 on: December 20, 2021, 03:05:09 pm »
Athletic: Premier League set to continue with clubs determined to complete festive fixtures

Does anyone know how the covid restrictions would work for the players? So if Virgil and Fabinho's 10 day isolation period ends early enough this week (depending on when they tested positive), they could in theory train and play on the Sunday?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 03:07:11 pm by Rahul21 »

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #15477 on: December 20, 2021, 03:12:00 pm »
Once the isolation ends as long as they have no symptoms they are free to do whatever as I understand.

From what Klopp said I don't think they'll make boxing Day. Even then I doubt he'd put them straight in

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #15478 on: December 20, 2021, 03:16:51 pm »
Even the fixtures after Boxing Day are still going ahead after the PL meeting.
Crazy in my opinion.
YWNA

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15479 on: December 20, 2021, 03:18:13 pm »
So what happens if tighter restrictions come in? Back to empty arena matches?