Author Topic: Winning Title #19*  (Read 1317908 times)

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #9120 on: March 2, 2020, 05:46:37 pm »
Well, we are limping over the line at the end of March. Which could have been done a week earlier if we were worthy, mind!

Wait until Utd take points off City putting us back on track for an earlier title win...
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline an tha

• RAWK's Serious Voice Of Reason And Logic. We'd all be lost without him, lost, I tell you! Mathematically-speaking, not banned yet......
  • Kopite
  • Talking about The Reds an tha....
« Reply #9121 on: March 2, 2020, 05:59:18 pm »
All this talk of 100 plus points, unbeaten seasons (mostly media driven)....and whatever other records they bang on about - fuck knows what they will do when things normalise again for title winning seasons.

Do any of the seasons were Ferguson's Man Utd won league with 80 odd pts (75 once) or Man City's dramatic 2011/12 season 89 pts, or where they pipped us with 86 pts or Leicester's win with 81, or our last title with 79 mean any less, or are any lesser achievements?

No - winning the league is all that matters, how it is done is just wrapping and has only started to become an obsession in this 24 hour a day, 7 day a week news culture we live in with Sky et al needing to hype stuff day in day out to fill time and get clicks - and of course equally if not more so through social media.

Offline muszka

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9122 on: March 2, 2020, 06:08:11 pm »
All this talk of 100 plus points, unbeaten seasons (mostly media driven)....and whatever other records they bang on about - fuck knows what they will do when things normalise again for title winning seasons.

Do any of the seasons were Ferguson's Man Utd won league with 80 odd pts (75 once) or Man City's dramatic 2011/12 season 89 pts, or where they pipped us with 86 pts or Leicester's win with 81, or our last title with 79 mean any less, or are any lesser achievements?

No - winning the league is all that matters, how it is done is just wrapping and has only started to become an obsession in this 24 hour a day, 7 day a week news culture we live in with Sky et al needing to hype stuff day in day out to fill time and get clicks - and of course equally if not more so through social media.

In a normal title challenge season when you drop points in like 5-7 games out of 28 it doesn't but we have an unique chance to finish the season with the most points in the history so why not go for that.

Offline an tha

• RAWK's Serious Voice Of Reason And Logic. We'd all be lost without him, lost, I tell you! Mathematically-speaking, not banned yet......
  • Kopite
« Reply #9123 on: March 2, 2020, 06:20:26 pm »
In a normal title challenge season when you drop points in like 5-7 games out of 28 it doesn't but we have an unique chance to finish the season with the most points in the history so why not go for that.

Going for it and if it happens it happens then great - but this has for some almost become more important than winning the league when
it means nothing really and further it just adds to the ridiculous overreaction that came with our loss on Saturday.

We got more pts last season than every other title winning side in history bar City's the last two seasons - what did it mean ultimately? - nothing.

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9124 on: March 2, 2020, 06:24:29 pm »
Winning the title with 79 points is a hell of a lot better than finishing second with 97.
It doesn't matter how you get over the line, or exactly where the line is set, it is just a matter of being the first there...
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline an tha

• Kopite
« Reply #9125 on: March 2, 2020, 06:34:08 pm »
Winning the title with 79 points is a hell of a lot better than finishing second with 97.
It doesn't matter how you get over the line, or exactly where the line is set, it is just a matter of being the first there...

Is right!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9126 on: March 2, 2020, 06:35:49 pm »

Too right
Jurgen YNWA

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #9127 on: March 2, 2020, 07:14:00 pm »
It’ll be Villa at home right? Right? It better be as this game will be my annual pilgrimage 🤣
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #9128 on: March 2, 2020, 07:22:04 pm »
Going for it and if it happens it happens then great - but this has for some almost become more important than winning the league when
it means nothing really and further it just adds to the ridiculous overreaction that came with our loss on Saturday.

We got more pts last season than every other title winning side in history bar City's the last two seasons - what did it mean ultimately? - nothing.

One of the comparisons was with a winning run in 1972. All I remember about that season is losing out to Derby on the last game of the season. No mention of 'historic' winning runs from Shanks, the Club, players or other fans.

Just disappointment at finishing 3rd.

Offline an tha

• Kopite
« Reply #9129 on: March 2, 2020, 07:27:59 pm »
One of the comparisons was with a winning run in 1972. All I remember about that season is losing out to Derby on the last game of the season. No mention of 'historic' winning runs from Shanks, the Club, players or other fans.

Just disappointment at finishing 3rd.

Exactly.

It is very much a modern day thing - fuelled by the sky hype machine, 24 hrs a day 7 days a week news and the internet.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9130 on: March 2, 2020, 07:28:13 pm »
Sky’s been a lot better since she’s been gone.
;D

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #9131 on: March 2, 2020, 07:33:00 pm »

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #9132 on: March 2, 2020, 07:50:31 pm »
Hello fellow music afficianado.

He'll name that tune in 2
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #9133 on: March 2, 2020, 08:01:16 pm »
Imagine if we win it for the first time in thirty years and no one is there to see it because of a virus. Might finish me off, that.
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #9134 on: March 2, 2020, 08:02:45 pm »
This is it for me. This season we came for the title, and we will lift the title. Anything else will be cherries on top.

To be honest, all this talk of records has done my nut in. It's distracted from the task at hand, and going by Klopp's comments this got to the players too and affected their game.

What got us 22 points ahead was the strict one game at a time approach, and that needs to be maintained until the season ends. Taking our eye off that particular ball and shifting focus onto records, even if only subconsciously, was always going to be counter productive.

I think far too many fans have got ahead of themselves recently, thinking it's all done and dusted and the wins we're just going to roll on and on and all that needed to be achieved for the rest of the league season is records. That just breeds complacency, and maybe on some level or other this has filtered down into the team.

This! i said to a mate after the game on the weekend, i bet the fans singing the "are you gonna believe us" song has got into the players heads and they have been complacent

We as fans also need to take one game at a time, sing when we've won it

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9135 on: March 2, 2020, 08:04:59 pm »
This! i said to a mate after the game on the weekend, i bet the fans singing the "are you gonna believe us" song has got into the players heads and they have been complacent

We've been singing that since I was a kid, long before you were born. And its "and now you're gonna believe us, we're gonna win the league"
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #9136 on: March 2, 2020, 08:23:17 pm »

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #9137 on: March 2, 2020, 08:58:07 pm »
We've been singing that since I was a kid, long before you were born. And its "and now you're gonna believe us, we're gonna win the league"

Too soon though, do you not think it has an effect on the players mentality?

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9138 on: March 2, 2020, 09:07:38 pm »

No.

Losing Jordan Henderson for three weeks?  Possibly.  Us lot singing about winning the league?  Nah.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9139 on: March 2, 2020, 09:10:28 pm »

Offline an tha

• Kopite
« Reply #9140 on: March 2, 2020, 09:18:18 pm »
'We're gonna win the league'

'We're on the march...' in the Cup

'We're gonna win the football league again'

All been around for decades and have been sung loudly and proudly down the years - seems strange to me that suddenly as songs they are questioned. IMO yet another product of social media that the singing of them is questioned.

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #9141 on: March 2, 2020, 09:51:42 pm »

All been around for decades and have been sung loudly and proudly down the years - seems strange to me that suddenly as songs they are questioned. IMO yet another product of social media that the singing of them is questioned.

Those songs were staple diet of my youth. Fuck da snowflakes
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9142 on: March 2, 2020, 10:04:04 pm »

I would say not in the slightest, we're way too professional for that carry on.
For me its very very simple, we've hit what every team ever hits at one stage or another, a bad patch, wobbly bit, shit form, whatever you call it. Nothing more, nothing less.
All the people on TV and radio talking about us maybe going out of 2 competitions in 1 week,  they were the same fuckpots who were sure we were going to drop points and lose games during that hectic January.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9143 on: March 2, 2020, 10:07:13 pm »
I would say not in the slightest, we're way too professional for that carry on.
For me its very very simple, we've hit what every team ever hits at one stage or another, a bad patch, wobbly bit, shit form, whatever you call it. Nothing more, nothing less.
All the people on TV and radio talking about us maybe going out of 2 competitions in 1 week,  they were the same fuckpots who were sure we were going to drop points and lose games during that hectic January.

Well said. The players have by now shown how mentally strong they are through the last two seasons, it's puzzling why anyone would think that they're mentally fragile that they're affected by which songs are being sung.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #9144 on: March 2, 2020, 10:09:36 pm »
Sky’s been a lot better since she’s been gone.
Oh, very subtle that :lmao

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #9145 on: March 2, 2020, 10:59:43 pm »

I don't personally have an issue with the song. I was brought up on that and similar songs and they often got sung throughout the season. Plenty of other clubs in the mix at the top end of the table would sing it too. It went out of fashion when we were so far away from challenging, but now we are up there again I don't have a problem with it myself. Also, if a fanbase can't sing it when 22 points ahead with three quarters of the season gone, when can they?

Others may disagree, and that's perfectly fine, but I don't think the song has led to any complacency in the players themselves. I think other factors are at work there. The whole world and his dog have been making out the title has been over for ages. It's said all over the media, said within the sport, said pretty much everywhere really. I think that's more likely to seep into the minds, even if only subconsciously, of the players than any song that might get sung, although I acknowledge that if that seed is already in there, the singing of the song does add to the narrative in a small way.

I've never bought into the idea that the title is done. Things are only done once the hard work has got you over the finish line, and never before. I'm sure it will be done, but there is a lot of hard work to be put in before it is. That's for the manager and players to implement though and, at this stage, I think it's ok for fans to sing what they like really.

I do think these days many people fret over how things might look. Not only in football, of course. You get people on anti-social media suggesting it's somehow arrogant to sing "we're gonna win the league" yet it's lost on them that it's a traditional football song that goes back many decades. It often saw fans with egg on their faces too. I remember fans singing it only for the opposition to stick one straight into the net, quickly shutting everyone up. Suppose what I'm saying it that these days people often take innocent things far too seriously and out of context.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #9146 on: March 2, 2020, 11:09:48 pm »
[quote author=Sons of pioneerS link=topic=343752.msg17074964#msg17074964

Suppose what I'm saying it that these days people often take innocent things far too seriously and out of context.
[/quote]
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #9147 on: March 2, 2020, 11:10:26 pm »
^

I see I fucked that quote up.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #9148 on: March 2, 2020, 11:14:44 pm »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #9149 on: March 2, 2020, 11:17:37 pm »

Back in the day, it was sung at the 1st home game of the season often enough, don't remember any one complaining then or suggesting it would make the players complacent.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #9150 on: March 3, 2020, 12:43:32 am »
Be absolutely mad if some mystical fortune teller sidled up to you at the bar after Kompany lashed that one in against Leicester and the league title dream was over.

"So mate, this a bit shit about not winning the league and feeling like you're out of Europe but, little reveal and that, you're gonna win 4-0 against Barcelona tomorrow"

"Oh gee, really? That's a relief".

"That's not all, you'll win the European Cup for the sixth time vs Tottenham in the final".

"Sweet, where do I sign up?"

"No wait hear me out, I've not finished. There's more. You'll win the Super Cup in Istanbul against Chelsea".

"Oh brilliant, that sounds like a solid year".

"Still not finished mate, got a bit more to fit in actually. You'll win the the World Club Cup in Qatar".

"There's no way 2020 can get much better than that then".

"What about sticking out a gang of kids against Everton in a derby in the FA Cup and still beating them?"

"Bloody hell, that'll take some topping".

"How about winning 26 out of your first 27 league games?".

"Christ, that sounds absolutely ridiculous - surely we will have a great chance to win the league for the first time in 30 years?"

"Correct. You'll be 22 points clear after those 27 games. Although, there is one negative".

"Jesus, this must be absolutely horrendous after all of that. Go on then, what is it?"

"You'll lose the 28th league game of the season to Watford"

"Oh for fuck sake!"
Ha yes, is fucking right. Gaze upon our works ye supposedly mighty, and despair.

What a ride it has been and so much more still to come.

As to the bedwetters, buy yourselves some industrial grade rubber kecks and spare us the gushers
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #9151 on: March 3, 2020, 12:45:40 am »
No.

Tell me, have you ever been in the crowd singing that song? I have and it's fucking glorious. Just wish I could get tickets more often right now so I can go and actually sing for 90 mins, in place of one of the nervous nellies
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline an tha

• Kopite
« Reply #9152 on: March 3, 2020, 01:00:48 am »
I especially liked when we used to throw in 'again'  between the lines.

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9153 on: March 3, 2020, 05:44:02 am »
The CL is an absolute must if we are to consider this team as one of the best in our history. No doubt that's what is in the manager and players thoughts as well.

If we reach the final again this season, let alone win it, we'll be one of the best sides in the history of the league, not just our history..

3 back to back final appearances, with 1 win and a second possible win.. coupled with a 97 point league season, followed by a title winning possible 100+ point season..

The English top flight hasn't seen a team like this, well at least the premier league era hasn't for sure..

City can Tom Tom their league cups.. but they aren't the first to do so anyway..  ;D
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #9154 on: March 3, 2020, 07:20:49 am »
This is it for me. This season we came for the title, and we will lift the title. Anything else will be cherries on top.

To be honest, all this talk of records has done my nut in. It's distracted from the task at hand, and going by Klopp's comments this got to the players too and affected their game.

What got us 22 points ahead was the strict one game at a time approach, and that needs to be maintained until the season ends. Taking our eye off that particular ball and shifting focus onto records, even if only subconsciously, was always going to be counter productive.

I think far too many fans have got ahead of themselves recently, thinking it's all done and dusted and the wins we're just going to roll on and on and all that needed to be achieved for the rest of the league season is records. That just breeds complacency, and maybe on some level or other this has filtered down into the team.

The rhythm of one game at a time was disrupted by the break. It maybe gave the players time to think and get ahead of themselves.

Don't care about tonight . We need to get the title won as soon as possible.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #9155 on: March 3, 2020, 08:44:57 am »
The rhythm of one game at a time was disrupted by the break. It maybe gave the players time to think and get ahead of themselves.

Don't care about tonight . We need to get the title won as soon as possible.
Why? Does it become a better title if it's won earlier? I mean it's great to have these little records as an incidental part of the whole, but to forgo other trophies on the basis that 'the title must be won asap' is idiotic.

So we throw the two cups in order to please impatient fans and win the title asap, and we win it asap...and then? Season's kind of over for us, and we sit and watch enviously as other sides are still battling for the FA Cup and the CL, which we could have been battling for too, and probably had a good chance of winning, if we'd gone out to win them all.

Title's in the bag bar the most ridiculous of collapses; we've done the hard yards and the focusing and the prioritising earlier in the season and built up a near-unassailable lead. Now is the absolute right time to benefit from that near-unassailable lead and put some focus on the other trophies, because make no mistake, we can win them all.

What's the point of having a huge buffer of points if you don't use it to your benefit?

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9156 on: March 3, 2020, 08:53:11 am »
W26 D1 L1 and you’d think we were in danger of city overtaking us with their game in hand from the morose attitude from some fans. If we win the league, and nothing else, without breaking any points records, It’ll be better than what I imagined would happen this season.

Offline M(oaning) B(ecomes) E(mbarrassing)

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thoroughly thought through
« Reply #9157 on: March 3, 2020, 09:17:45 am »

'Easy, easy, easy, easy' that was another one the post-92 brigade have determined as being beneath us.  We'd sing that nearly every week when we were in our pomp in the 70s and 80s. 
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #9158 on: March 3, 2020, 09:30:34 am »

"We're gonna win the league" doesn't really work when we've won it.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #9159 on: March 3, 2020, 09:36:08 am »
W26 D1 L1 and you’d think we were in danger of city overtaking us with their game in hand from the morose attitude from some fans. If we win the league, and nothing else, without breaking any points records, It’ll be better than what I imagined would happen this season.

Tell me about it. We're on 79 points, City are on 57. Leicester (who should be second as they ain't cheats) are on 50

Winning the league is prize enough for me. Anything else is a bonus! It's maybe not time to fully celebrate, but by God, enjoy the ride - we've got fully-grown fans who weren't alive the last time we won the league.

It's our time. I know it's not a real Shankly quote, but I still believe "if you can't support us when we lose, don't support us when we win"